• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hash Tags

Should (#)hashtags stick around?

• Total voters

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
First poll, koff~

I must admit, I am not a Facebook person or a twitter guy, so I was always confused when people began putting the pound/number symbol in front of several topics. From food, to phones, to toilet paper. I know it's a phase and it will die off soon, but it isn't dying off as fast as I would like. I enjoy it when people can enjoy their own lives on their own internet and such, but when it makes me look ridiculous and clueless about what a 'hash tag' is and invades everything, it causes me grief that is not needed. Especially when people start writing this stuff down on paper.

What are your thoughts? Do you want them to go away as much as I do? Or do you want to see everything covered in them, koffi~

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I use Twitter a lot, and I go on Tumblr pretty frequently too. Hashtags are a great search tool for finding something very specific that you're looking for and helping people find something that you post online. Because of that, I appreciate them. But when people start using it in everyday life, I just can't help but sink my head down in shame, because to me that's kind of embarrassing. Keep it on Twitter, and Tumblr, and any other sites that actually use that as a system. Facebook is not one of those sites.

Victreebel's Bro

The Day Is My Enemy
Years
no, no, No, No!, No!!, NO!!! NOOOO!!!
(Mama mia, mama mia, mama mia, let me go!)
Terrible puns aside, get rid of hash tag people, its an embarrassment to noughts and crosses
Oh, and take swag, yolo and harlem shake as well!

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
Hash tags are stupid. To me, it's the number symbol. The kids at my old high school were high on hash tags.
"Hash tag English swag"
"Hash tag Chapstick"
Hash tag please die in a hole.
It's so dumb, and I want them to die quicker than a burning blade of grass. Judging by the incompetence of the vast majority of society, however, I think they'll, unfortunately, stick around for a bit.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Whoa there. Rebellious teenage angst is so thick in here I could cut it with a knife.

Dominic hit the nail on the head. Hash tags are pretty useful when you're actually looking for something, but only on sites where looking for something is worth it. The hash tag feature on Facebook is...lackluster. I've seen more official pages than individual people use it and it seems to me like it's just another way for people to try and get their product or service integrated in a world of ever-changing trends. But hash tags have the potential to unite people for a common cause, such as #ABCReports on Twitter which contains parody news headlines that mock an offensive article.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Actually. . ., koff~

I wouldn't consider the hashtag 'tech' by any means. It's more of an additive that was not needed. Search engines were fine on their own with their 'smart search' functions and hashtags are not an acceptable substitute for research (thesis's and the like) methods. The hash tag is simply another form of shortcuts:

"The first use of the term "hash tag" was in a blog post by Stowe Boyd, "Hash Tags = Twitter Groupings,"[7] on 26 August 2007, according to lexicographer Ben Zimmer, chair of the American Dialect Society's New Words Committee."
(contrary to popular belief, wikipedia has several billion sources that can be checked.)

I believe the hated hashtag has more in common with an acronym than anything else, so I am a tad perplexed as to why you had moved it from the 'polls' section. Further more, the hashtag is no longer restricted to the internet. I've seen it written on paper for the sake of all that is holy! I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that the hashtag is not a proper form of technology. It offers no additional purposes than regular tags serve.

I believe that technology serves some form of purpose, either scientifically or life based. The hashtag does not fall under these categories. The idea that putting the symbol # in front of a word to turn it into a tag is laughable. Since it has been used so frequently and so often, it renders a proper search obsolete. IBM has already perfected the barcode, a quite useful piece of technology that can be scanned on it's own. The hashtag is nothing more than a fad, my friend.

My hatred for the hashtag may come across as somewhat volatile, so I apologize for that, koff~

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
#closeminded #getwiththeprogram #its2013

Realistically, I don't use them in a serious manner. My friend and I use them in a joking manner in our conversations sometimes. We just think it sounds better and funnier, and it's like our little inside joke. But they can be useful if you're searching for a specific something. I use them mostly on Instagram to find cool pictures of stuff I like, although some people use them for the dumbest reasons.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I really enjoy hash tags as a regular twitter user. I find most of them to be quite useful... except when people abuse them for the hell of it.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Hashtags aren't too bad as some people here seem to make them out to be. They're used so you can find what you're looking for and what your interested in especially on Tumblr and Twitter. Instagram too since it helps people find pictures related to things they like. They are also an easier way to see what everyone's talking about on and what's trending at the moment. In that sense they're fine. But it's annoying when people use them excessively. Putting one or two hashtags on a tweet is fine or using a few of them on tumblr/Instagram posts to get them more attention is okay , but not 5-8 of them on one posts. Also it bothers me seeing so many outside of the internet. I get a company putting a hastag on the bottom of an advertisement cause it's a good marketing tool. People see someone use that hashtag and it get them wondering what that product is and maybe wanting to buy it or try it out. Though now it's being used in everything from music video (lets use Robin Thicke's number 1 song as an example. ) to song and album titles and I'm sure I've seen some on real life products (shirts and posters). That's the most annoying ones, those are the ones I hate. The only thing that annoys me is when they're overused. I don't get a point of hashtags being used on any site besides Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr.

I believe the hated hashtag has more in common with an acronym than anything else, so I am a tad perplexed as to why you had moved it from the 'polls' section. Further more, the hashtag is no longer restricted to the internet. I've seen it written on paper for the sake of all that is holy! I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that the hashtag is not a proper form of technology. It offers no additional purposes than regular tags serve.

Hastags started on the Internet so it's technology related to the internet and like Zach said this forum is called Technology and INTERNET so it makes since they moved it here to me. (Not trying to mini-mod here just making a point.)

Last edited:
Years
I think hashtags are really fun, there have been times I even used it outside of Twitter so that's gotta be saying something. Even if some think it's controversial, they are still good for having a laugh!

#hikari #sheknowsthisisagreattopic #oshawottiscute

(Yeah I decide to play around with a few there)

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
Years
I only started to get fond of hashtags after I started using tumblr and Twitter. It is really convenient to use. I just hate people who use hashtags excessively. Using a hashtag for every word, or just being plain annoying with hashtags. But yeah, hashtags are really useful.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Well I don't use twitter and I had to make a facebook to keep in touch with people but I rarely use it as much in comparison to other Instant Messaging services.
I think social media has just become it's own giant with basically everyone and everything advertising their own social media pages but they're mainly for people who sit on them everyday.
Even people will try to take a picture or video and try to include as many irrelevant tags as possible just so it can be seen, so are tags or hashtags useful ?

To a degree yes when used in the right context and with the correct information available but as more and more people are sucked into social media and become more obsessed with everyone else's lives than it will continue to be a growing trend and probably used in daily talk. I know some people that generally say LOL without laughing.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
Hashtags outside of twitter should die, just... die. Go away, screw hashtags, DIE IN A FIRE!

But yeah, hashtags are dumb.

Years
Okay, in a more serious note, I will say that I dislike the idea of hashtags, probably because I don't use twitter anymore, and I was outraged when they made their way onto Facebook. As for tumblr and Instagram, I can understand the usage of hashtags there, but searches on those two sites are just as effective without hashtags, in my opinion..

OmegaTL

Time Lord
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
I don't care about people using them on Twitter, but when they're used on other sites or in real life, they start to annoy me. I miss using the internet without seeing "#swagyolo*****es" every two minutes.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
# are fine if they are used in social media only. Using them outside and in actual ****ing conversations is the lamest thing ever.

Other than saying 'LOL' rather than actually laughing out loud.

Back