• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Japanese B2W2 animated trailer

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Just wanna say, Gamefreak isn't against the Female Protagonists. Two out of the five Regions in the Anime made one of the Main Characters the Female Protagonist while in two of the five, neither protagonist is shown. May and Dawn have more publicity that ANY other videogame Character and are more important Canon wise than their male counterparts who were completely replaced.

The trailer had the male. Big whoop. Statisctically (as stated before) Pokemon is played by more boys than girls. The girls are a very small portion of the fan base. They are going to use a Male character to highlight because that is what's going to sell. They obviously did NOT do this with Gens 3 and 4 with Anime promotion.

Please stop harping on lack of female cause not its turning into straight up sexism based on biased opinions and is turning insulting.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
Years
Just wanna say, Gamefreak isn't against the Female Protagonists. Two out of the five Regions in the Anime made one of the Main Characters the Female Protagonist while in two of the five, neither protagonist is shown. May and Dawn have more publicity that ANY other videogame Character and are more important Canon wise than their male counterparts who were completely replaced.

The trailer had the male. Big whoop. Statisctically (as stated before) Pokemon is played by more boys than girls. The girls are a very small portion of the fan base. They are going to use a Male character to highlight because that is what's going to sell. They obviously did NOT do this with Gens 3 and 4 with Anime promotion.

Please stop harping on lack of female cause not its turning into straight up sexism based on biased opinions and is turning insulting.
..and this is pretty much what I was going to say lol, well put.

moving on... the part with team plasma on the boat... where do you guys think they were going? what was the point of the boat?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
When I first saw this trailer, I initially thought "Wait, is this a new anime series?" Then I came to the realization that it was for the games, and thought "The anime really needs to be like this!" Anyway, on topic, there's one thing that I found very intriguing about this trailer. The player is chasing the Shadow Triad through a city that *is* truly frozen. Now, I was thinking that the ice on the map was just covering up changes they made, but maybe I was wrong. I still can't know for sure until the games come out, though, because for all we know, that could have been a different area entirely.

As far as the rest of the trailer, I like the fact that Team Plasma is apparently still going to be the villains. The way they're dressed looks like that team we saw in the gameplay trailers that the rival was talking to in Nimbasa City. Also, despite Cheren being a gym leader now, it appears as though he might be a recurring character throughout the game, helping you fight Team Plasma. Elesa is still a gym leader with a new look, so that makes me wonder who else is still a gym leader, and are there any other replaced gym leaders?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Lightning:7186626 said:
Am I the only one who wasn't so disappointed the female protagonist was not shown in the trailer? I mean it was obvious GameFreak would use the male protagonist to promote these games, like they always do. Plus it was still a great trailer overall! How can you lose interest over that? D: She'll be in the games, which is the main thing that counts. The whole point to the trailer was pretty much to promote the games right? It was new and different, and a nice add.
I feel like I don't really have the right to complain because the female protagonists usually end up in the actual anime itself but that doesn't seem to be happening in Gen V so I would have really appreciated seeing an anime version. Would it have been so hard to replace the guy with the girl in some of the scenes? I don't think it would have been confusing or anything.

Japan's pretty gender-skewed but it'd have been nice to see both protagonists get the same treatment. The female feels lesser to me now, like she's ot on the same level as the male and is only there to appease female fans. (And maybe she is, but part of the reason girls should be a choice for your trainer avatar in the first place is to show they're on equal footing with the guys. Excluding her from the trailer says the exact opposite.) Precedent for showing the male trainers more than the girls in promotional material doesn't make it okay to keep doing it. :(

I get that the trailer is something cool and different for once as far as game adverts go but that doesn't make it any less disappointing that they left out the one reason I have so far to buy this game. :P It's not a big deal to most people but I really, really like the girl's design so yeah, I'm disappointed she wasn't in it. Not overly surprised that she wasn't, but disappointed all the same.
I agree with you, but at the same time there is always the future. Yeah this is the first time GameFreak has made a trailer like this so if they continue to, maybe they will include greater things. Like scenes of both protagonists!

Last edited:

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
Years
I agree with you, but at the same time there is always the future. Yeah this is the first time GameFreak has made a trailer like this so if they continue to, maybe they will include greater things. Like scenes of both protagonists!
the way I see it, the trailer portrayed what the games will be like, in anime form of course.

there wouldn't be a reason to have both in the same scene, it may confuse the audience to see them working together (remember the series is aimed at 8 and up), but if they switched it up, like the male in one scene and the female in another, that would work out.

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2015
But it's still a little upsetting to have to keep the same starters. None of them are very fast. They have decent moves, but I'd much rather stick to Sceptile, Infernape, or maybe Venusaur.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
And I find your comment insulting against those of us who do want to state our opinion on this matter. You are not the only one who is entitled to their opinion.

We can always hope... but personally I'd rather see that budget used for anime style cutscenes in the game instead of a trailer that will most likely be all but forgotten when the games are in our hands. And of course, in game, they'll be forced to create separate cutscenes for the two protagonists :P

Mista T

Pityin' fools.
Years
But it's still a little upsetting to have to keep the same starters. None of them are very fast. They have decent moves, but I'd much rather stick to Sceptile, Infernape, or maybe Venusaur.

Serperior's base speed is 113, making it the second fastest starter ever. So yeah, it's very fast.

One of the things that stood out in my mind about the trailer was the noises made by the featured Pokemon. The whirring sound emitted by Magneton was oh so cool when combined with the random movements of the three tiny pupils.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
The Pokémon Company most likely funded the trailer, as it's their role to do the marketing for the Pokémon series. GameFreak likely provided some ideas, but aren't actually responsible for the trailer itself. It wouldn't be the first time The Pokémon Company has contracted an anime studio (in all cases, OLM) to make a trailer - we ended up getting promotion "episodes" for Mystery Dungeon's three games, and one for Pokémon Ranger.
It's the first time they've put one out for the main Pokémon games, which would be why everyone is so hyped about this trailer in the first place!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
One of the things that stood out in my mind about the trailer was the noises made by the featured Pokemon. The whirring sound emitted by Magneton was oh so cool when combined with the random movements of the three tiny pupils.

Well yeah. What stood out to me that I can think of rn was Emboar, actually. The whole fire thing/realistic sounds was amazing, especially when combined with the backdrop behind Elesa.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
I agree on the fact that the Pokemon did not say their names, but rather made what sounded like animal noises. Tbh, while some Pokemon sound cool saying their names, there are others where I would much rather them making animal noises. This is another element of this trailer that would be nice for the anime. Lucario, Emboar, and Samurott all sounded pretty cool... without saying their names.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Well this trailer was made to promote the games, and they only make animal noises in game so perhaps it was just common sense that they did.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
This makes me wonder... what happened to Professor Juniper? :O
Why was she replaced by Professor Akuroma in just two years, and at such a young age? o.o

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
This makes me wonder... what happened to Professor Juniper? :O
Why was she replaced by Professor Akuroma in just two years, and at such a young age? o.o

1) She wasn't replaced. She was busy with something and asked Bianca to take the starter Pokemon to the two new trainers as a favor.

2) Akuroma is NOT A PROFESSOR. He is a Researcher. He replaced Fennel if anything.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
Years
1) She wasn't replaced. She was busy with something and asked Bianca to take the starter Pokemon to the two new trainers as a favor.

2) Akuroma is NOT A PROFESSOR. He is a Researcher. He replaced Fennel if anything.
i could have sworn that there was another Professor announced at some time.

but back on topic

will the trailer be dubbed in English at some point?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
i could have sworn that there was another Professor announced at some time.

but back on topic

will the trailer be dubbed in English at some point?

There was a rumor about a new Professor based off of some type of Oak before the last issue of Coro Coro but that was proved false with Coro Coro.

As for Dubbing, maybe if there is enough money for them to hire a cast to do the VA and if they think it would be worth the money to do seeing as games overseas don't sell as well as in Japan.

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
Years
There was a rumor about a new Professor based off of some type of Oak before the last issue of Coro Coro but that was proved false with Coro Coro.

As for Dubbing, maybe if there is enough money for them to hire a cast to do the VA and if they think it would be worth the money to do seeing as games overseas don't sell as well as in Japan.
if they really want to sell the games, dubbing the trailer in english would for sure boost sales, perhaps at the end of a Pokemon episode or something, or on the website, whatever they do it would be a great marketing tool

Mentalii

Back
Years
What an awesome trailer ! :pink_love:
Everything is perfect ! Now I can't wait for the games !
These voices... These graphisms... Even the Team Plasme looks great !

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
if they really want to sell the games, dubbing the trailer in english would for sure boost sales, perhaps at the end of a Pokemon episode or something, or on the website, whatever they do it would be a great marketing tool

Maybe parts of it will become a tv advertisement for the western audience I can see that happening plus a dubbed version after the anime tbh.

Back