• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: [GENERAL THREAD] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver Hacking

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2010
I'm suprised no one has even tried to make a patch to put the slot machines and the original Game corners back in the english versions,

That's because if you want to do that, you'll have to replace the following:
- The language file (impossible, too large when you add Game Corner)
- ALL The Graphics (possible...)
- ALL The Connections to the graphics and text (impossible, don't know what files cointais this)

That's why... There IS a Japanese ROM translation that translates the Game Corner and everything else though... Not sure if I might add different sites though...
At google, search for "Rykin122" the there is on saying '(lang. hack)' at the title.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Are you sure you're replacing at the right offset, and replacing exactly the right amount? I find that it helps me if I extract what I want to replace and open that in a Hex Editor as well, and then run on search on some of the code from it. It will take you right to where that file is located in the ROM. From there, it's a simple matter to copy over the data from your replacement file.
Problem is that the sprite file i extracted has 30+ lines in the hex workshop, and i dont know what should i sub. I tried copying all the code, but it destroyed all the sprites.
what data should i replace?
EDIT: Nevermind, i finally got it :)
thnx!

Last edited:

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
That's because if you want to do that, you'll have to replace the following:
- The language file (impossible, too large when you add Game Corner)
- ALL The Graphics (possible...)
- ALL The Connections to the graphics and text (impossible, don't know what files cointais this)

That's why... There IS a Japanese ROM translation that translates the Game Corner and everything else though... Not sure if I might add different sites though...
At google, search for "Rykin122" the there is on saying '(lang. hack)' at the title.

Yes, but it was never finished because of the official english version containing the mutilated game corner, thanks a lot europe for f***ing our slots up

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
... thanks a lot europe for f***ing our slots up
What does Europe have to do with it? The US version was changed because the US (ESRB) rating system said it would no longer allow "gambling" in E rated games.

Oxnite

aka Arbok
Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2016
Not sure if that helps but there are 2 "sets" of sprites in platinum's trfgra.narc. Afaik PokémonDSPlatinumTrainers only shows the encrypted ones while the others can be viewed in CrystalTile, so editing the others might do the trick...

Okay, thanks for this information! Any idea how to edit the unecrypted ones, though?

Oh, and does somebody know if there's a .narc file that consists the x and y veriables of the Pokémon Shadows?

For example, each Pokémon has it's shadow under it (in battle). This shadow is placed somewhere else everytime. Now I put the HG / SS Sprites in Platinum and the shadows are placed wrong..

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2010
EDIT: I think I've found out my PokeTex problem, would it be because my Rom is English and the list is for the Japanese Rom? If so, is there anywhere I could get a list for the English Rom?

Another EDIT!: After searching for several minutes, I found out that was indeed the problem, I'm now editing the Japanese Roms overworld sprites and try to reinsert them into the English Rom... Such a hassle... But with that problem out of the way, I know have a new one!

How do I edit the battle animation from Lyra to Dawn? (You know, the one that appears for a brief second at the start of a battle then moves off screen).

Last edited:

smurph717

Programmer
Years
first off, that plugin he used is hard to come by. second off, it's just not that simple. not only do you have to rip the model and edit it, you have to make sure it goes back in the right spot and all the stuff related to it changes accordingly as well. it's not like the gba where you could just replace a few bytes here and there and it all works great; the ds is much more complicated.

Iacobus

sǝɯɐɾ
Years
first off, that plugin he used is hard to come by. second off, it's just not that simple. not only do you have to rip the model and edit it, you have to make sure it goes back in the right spot and all the stuff related to it changes accordingly as well. it's not like the gba where you could just replace a few bytes here and there and it all works great; the ds is much more complicated.
I'm pretty sure it was in here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148703

smurph717

Programmer
Years
ok well now everyone's gonna be like "oooh more tools to do stuff i can't figure out on my own!! omg how do i use it?? help plz omgz!!!!11!oneone!11" which is pretty much the exact reason people like me are extremely hesitant to freely contribute to the community. at least when i was figuring all this out about 9 years ago, the newbies were willing to learn and spend effort, and as a result the experienced people were willing to teach. now everyone just expects someone smarter to release the tools to do what they want. news flash: you're just changing a freaking game. if you're really that into "hacking" then learn it yourself, the real way. any internet monkey can use a set of tools. what sets people apart is their ability to figure out problems and find solutions (and it is generally these people that end up making the tools anyway). granted, i know the majority of people on here aren't my age (i'm a couple months away from turning 19, whereas most of you are between 11 and 16), but regardless of age, you can't expect everything to just be handed to you straight up. use some brainpower and contribute back.

sorry for the rant, but it seems like i'm not the only one on the forum with these feelings lately. having been off the scene for ages and finally coming back a couple months ago, i'm kinda shocked to see what this has become. for me, its hard as hell to get any help from the people that know their stuff because they've all started to keep to themselves, because of what this community has become. the people that know what they're doing should still be able to collaborate, at least. so to everyone that drove them away, i hope you're happy.

@Iacobus: that's not directed at you in any way, you didn't do anything to piss me off, no worries :)

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
ok well now everyone's gonna be like "oooh more tools to do stuff i can't figure out on my own!! omg how do i use it?? help plz omgz!!!!11!oneone!11" which is pretty much the exact reason people like me are extremely hesitant to freely contribute to the community. at least when i was figuring all this out about 9 years ago, the newbies were willing to learn and spend effort, and as a result the experienced people were willing to teach. now everyone just expects someone smarter to release the tools to do what they want. news flash: you're just changing a freaking game. if you're really that into "hacking" then learn it yourself, the real way. any internet monkey can use a set of tools. what sets people apart is their ability to figure out problems and find solutions (and it is generally these people that end up making the tools anyway). granted, i know the majority of people on here aren't my age (i'm a couple months away from turning 19, whereas most of you are between 11 and 16), but regardless of age, you can't expect everything to just be handed to you straight up. use some brainpower and contribute back.

I could not agree more... I can not begin to tell you how many tools were circulating around the actual hackers in regards to D/P/Pt, there are even a few for HG/SS. It's just that we have reached a point where we don't feel we should give said tools to the public when they don't even thank us, they just expect us to do this for them.

smurph717

Programmer
Years
I could not agree more... I can not begin to tell you how many tools were circulating around the actual hackers in regards to D/P/Pt, there are even a few for HG/SS. It's just that we have reached a point where we don't feel we should give said tools to the public when they don't even thank us, they just expect us to do this for them.

oh i'm sure there were lots of really nice things floating around the in-crowd. too bad i showed up a couple years late (i completely missed the d/p/pt phase and jumped back on board when hg/ss was announced).... :P lol.

and yeah, i mean, its not like we expect people to be like "oh thank you for making this, you have teh uber skillz!" or anything like that, but like, just don't dismiss things as "too hard" or "not worth your time/effort." honestly, the best way i can think of to show appreciation is to do something yourself and give back to the community. earn your place among the "hackers." give someone else a valid reason to even call you one.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
ohhh....sounds like i found out what i'm going to do this weekend...thanks :)
no really, i'm actually gonna try and learn from these things since there are supposed to be documents in there
So, that i can get my curiousity going, what kind of stuff is in this package?
(lol, if anything, that legality fight makes me interested [not that i'm a jd or anything xD])

sorry for the rant, but it seems like i'm not the only one on the forum with these feelings lately. having been off the scene for ages and finally coming back a couple months ago, i'm kinda shocked to see what this has become. for me, its hard as hell to get any help from the people that know their stuff because they've all started to keep to themselves, because of what this community has become. the people that know what they're doing should still be able to collaborate, at least. so to everyone that drove them away, i hope you're happy.

@Iacobus: that's not directed at you in any way, you didn't do anything to piss me off, no worries :)
so true, good point. (i'm 14,turnin 15 btw)

YAY (@smurphy too), somebody actually said this in a kind way for a change :)
i'm getting sick and tired of all these repeated posts about all the nubs on pc, true as they may be, they're are becoming an annoyance
oh i'm sure there were lots of really nice things floating around the in-crowd. too bad i showed up a couple years late (i completely missed the d/p/pt phase and jumped back on board when hg/ss was announced).... :P lol.

and yeah, i mean, its not like we expect people to be like "oh thank you for making this, you have teh uber skillz!" or anything like that, but like, just don't dismiss things as "too hard" or "not worth your time/effort." honestly, the best way i can think of to show appreciation is to do something yourself and give back to the community. earn your place among the "hackers." give someone else a valid reason to even call you one.
Ditto

smurph717

Programmer
Years
yeah i mean the people that are already mad about this that go flaming everyone and being mean in general just aren't going about it the right way. their feelings are legitimate but they could handle their responses sooo much better... oh well, i guess.

Potatomuffin

The One And ONLY!!!
Years
I think we need a new forum to be in, cause here things are slow.
does anyone know where we could move this conversation? a good forum? because if theres nothing, i can always start one. so if you want a new forum just tell me

Poryhack

March 14th
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 5, 2010
How exactly does moving the discussion somewhere else facilitate more discussion? And for the record, Pokecommunity isn't the only place on the web that deals with ROM hacking, or even Pokemon-specific ROM hacking for that matter.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
or perhaps a blog would be better? rather than setting up an entire forum...
*edit*
aww man, all that package was was a bunch of guides on how to use a plugin.
i mean, thats really cool, but i guess for some reason i was expecting thngs that are specific
to pokemon games (EG Events and whatnot)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2014
Currently in the process of searching the thread for the answer, but in case it is not here, has anyone found a way around the engrish versions' drop-hack? (the one where nintendo decided to "protect" the ROM from being used on a flash-cart)
Edit:
OK read the previous 10 pages. I am using an R4 and have not been able to find a working anti-piracy patch for my copy of soul silver. If anyone knows where to find one please message me.

and for the record.. poryhack sounds like an angry 11 year old in over half his posts.. spam and flaming all over the place.
poryhack.. you really should work out your own issues before pissing on other people.

edit (again)
folks on another site suggested I try "Wood R4" (for others who might have the same question)

Last edited:
Back