• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In-Game Guide: "Which games do I need to catch all the Pokemon?"

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
So you want to catch 'em all, huh?
In the first generation, there were only 151 Pokemon, spread across two games. It was pretty easy to complete the Pokedex with the help of a friend or a second system and the opposite game; however, with each new set of Pokemon games came around 100 new Pokemon, and completing the Pokedex became a lot harder. Eventually, the regular Pokedex transformed into two: a Regional and National Dex. No longer could all the Pokemon be catchable within two games. At this point, it may be pretty difficult to find out how you can catch them all without buying every game. The aim of this guide is to share which Pokemon are available in which game, and help you decide what you need in order to catch them all. As of right now, there are no Pokemon locations for the sake of making this guide a reasonable length; however, this might be updated in the future.

There are several ways to obtain Pokemon: through catching them in the wild, breeding them, receiving them as gifts in-game, or obtaining them from real-life or Wi-Fi events that are created by Gamefreak. Many Pokemon are available in every game; however, there are a couple that can only be obtained in select games and special events. Generally, there are also three types of Pokemon: starters (Pokemon that are received at the start of every game and usually cannot be obtained elsewhere), legendaries (there are only one of these in each game and usually only a couple obtainable per game), and regular Pokemon.

There are many Pokemon that can be caught in one version of a Pokemon game, but not another; for example, there are some Pokemon exclusive to X and some to Y. Not every Pokemon fan wishes to buy two versions of essentially the same game, so unless you are personally willing to buy the other version, you essentially have to rely on a friend or someone who has the game to trade you the version exclusives.

Games You Definitely Need: Pokemon X, Pokemon Y, Pokemon Omega Ruby, and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. Having access to any other games will definitely help, but these are the basics! For the sake of this guide not being freakishly long, I am going to address only the 3DS Pokemon games. I am also not going to include Friend Safaris as a location for XY and Mega Evolutions.

These Pokemon can be found or bred in all four games: Pokemon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire:
Spoiler:

These Pokemon can only be found or bred in Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire:
Spoiler:

These Pokemon can only be found or bred in Pokemon X, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire:
Spoiler:

These Pokemon can only be found or bred in Pokemon X, Y, and Alpha Sapphire:
Spoiler:

These Pokemon can only be found or bred in Pokemon X, Y, and Omega Ruby:
Spoiler:

These Pokemon can only be found or bred in Pokemon Y and Omega Ruby:
Spoiler:

These Pokemon can only be found or bred in Pokemon X and Alpha Sapphire:
Spoiler:

These Pokemon can only be found or bred in Pokemon Y and Alpha Sapphire:
Spoiler:

These Pokemon can only be found or bred in both Pokemon X and Y:
Spoiler:

These Pokemon can only be found or bred in Pokemon X:
Spoiler:

These Pokemon can only be found or bred in Pokemon Y:
Spoiler:

These Pokemon only be found or bred in Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire:
Spoiler:

Pokemon that can only be found or bred in Alpha Sapphire:
Spoiler:

Pokemon that can only be found or bred in Omega Ruby:
Spoiler:

Pokemon Not Found in Any Game--Event-Only Pokemon:
Spoiler:

So, there you have it! The purpose of this guide was to help synthesize all the information out there to help you determine what you need to catch them all. Remember that you can always stop by PokeCommunity's Trade Corner to get what you need, but I know for some it's always fun to fill the entire Pokedex yourself :) If you complete the National Pokedex in any game, you will receive an item called a Shiny Charm, which lets you encounter Shiny Pokemon much easier, and a Diploma that certifies your completion! Good luck!
Written and originally compiled by Altairis; past-generation locations compiled by Sven​

Last edited:
Years
This is pretty cool, here is my suggestion.
If I were you, I'd put alternative games in which these Pokemon can be found, and I'd do it for all the sections except for the first one since you dont need other games for those Pokemon.

Example:

These Pokemon can only be found or bred in Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire::

Spoiler:

That way you could check if you already have a game in which you can get the needed Pokemon so you could easily transfer them if you have a path to transfer them.
Just an idea. ^^

Last edited:

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
This is quite the useful guide! I'm going to consult this for my OR playthrough for sure! Thanks a bunch for throwing it all together.

Although I agree with Sven's suggestion; would you be able to integrate their idea at some point?

Years
Just to point out when you get each of the other starters in ORAS:
Johto - Complete the Delta Episode
Unova - Defeat the Elite Four a second time
Sinnoh - Defeat the Elite Four a third time

It should also be mentioned that if Deoxys isn't caught during the Delta Episode, it will respawn at the Sky Pillar after defeating the Elite Four again.

Years
I noticed you listed Psyduck and Golduck in the "only found/bred in X & Y" list but as far as I know, they are obtainable in OR/AS as well, given they're in the Hoenn Dex. Psyduck can be caught in the Safari Zone there if you're wondering.

Just a little tweak that I had to point out, but still great effort on compiling this masterlist. It'll definitely help a lot of players with Pokedex completion.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Just to point out when you get each of the other starters in ORAS:
Johto - Complete the Delta Episode
Unova - Defeat the Elite Four a second time
Sinnoh - Defeat the Elite Four a third time

It should also be mentioned that if Deoxys isn't caught during the Delta Episode, it will respawn at the Sky Pillar after defeating the Elite Four again.

I was just going off of what Serebii said - it says Johto after E4 first time, the then others after Delta Episode and defeating the Elite Four a second time. Thanks for the Deoxys tip :) (I actually didn't know that and I KOed Deoxys three times playing the Delta Episode x_x)

I noticed you listed Psyduck and Golduck in the "only found/bred in X & Y" list but as far as I know, they are obtainable in OR/AS as well, given they're in the Hoenn Dex. Psyduck can be caught in the Safari Zone there if you're wondering.

Just a little tweak that I had to point out, but still great effort on compiling this masterlist. It'll definitely help a lot of players with Pokedex completion.

Thank you for pointing that out, don't feel bad because this is why I left the thread open :D

Added these are past-gen locations that were compiled by Sven - thanks a lot! :) :)

Wobb

Wynaut
Years
D: I didn't know this was already a thing... I made one,,,
But isn't there still a way to get Mew? With My Pokemon Ranch and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl?

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
Didn't see this pointed out, but these can be gotten in the games and not just as events:
: Darkrai could be downloaded over Wi-Fi in 2011, 2012, and 2013.
: Shaymin could be obtained in South Korea in 2010 on May 1 and 2; in Japan, plays could get a Darkrai from December 2011 to January 5 2012 and again from December 1 2014 to April 30 2015.
: Arceus was downloadable from Global Link to English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish players from February 1 to May 1, 2012.
: Victini could be downloaded from April 10 to 30, 2012.

Unless the tickets required to get them was the point?

Years
i believe you can actually find all the pokemon with just oras and x/y

You are actually correct. You can in fact get all the non-event Pokemon just by trading between the two games, given some are XY-exclusive and others are ORAS-exclusive.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Oct 13, 2016
hikamaru has put me onto this thread, thanks for your work this is a great resource to start my hunt

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
Years
It should be mentioned that, via glitches in Virtual Console RBY, you can obtain Mew. This is relevant because you can then directly transfer it up via Pokemon Bank. Should also bold via glitches, just as a warning.

EDIT: Or rather, it will be possible in a few months.
EDIT2: Will need verification.

Last edited:
Back