• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The American Politics Discussion Thread

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well, apparently the polls weren't wrong. Or skewed. Or picturing an electorate from 2008. Or calling the wrong people. No, apparently the polls were right. Who would have guessed!

Nate Silver wins the election.

v8o7km.jpg

I'm still a bit dskddjfja from staying up until 4:30 AM but I'd do it again XD

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Also, there is a possibility that by the end of the night, there will be 21 women senators. You wanted change? You got it tonight.

Actually, no change happened last night. While liberals will celebrate the results for President, they also have to realize that Congress will remain exactly the same. The GOP retains the House, while the Democrats still have 51 Senate seats, with there being 2 Independents. I expect the big issues to be kicked down the curb for the next two years as both sides end up coming to status quo compromises.

Last edited:
Years
Actually, no change happened lasf night. While liberals will celebrate the results for President, they also have to realize that Congress will remain exactly the same. The GOP retains the House, while the Democrats still have 51 Senate seats, with there being 2 Independents. I expect the big issues to be kicked down the curb for the next two years as both sides end up coming to status quo compromises.

Or maybe the Republicans will finally wake up on Immigration Reform and realize that pissing off the fastest growing segment of the population isn't a winning election strategy?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Or maybe the Republicans will finally wake up on Immigration Reform and realize that pissing off the fastest growing segment of the population isn't a winning election strategy?

They might concede on immigration, but I seriulsy don't see any concession on much else. They won't budge on the Bush tax cuts, unless the Democrats concede something else to them. We already have John Boehner saying that the election was not a mandate for either party, but was rather more time being given to the current leadership in both the White House and in Congress.

Years
I think it'll be a lot harder for the Republicans to be obstructionist in the wake of this defeat. They don't even know who'll be the Democrat running in '16 for starters.

I'm very pleased to see what Washington, Maryland, and Maine have done. Good job, y'all. Minnesota, you got some explaining to do. We're happy you voted for Obama and all, but still.

Todd Akin, Richard Moudock, Tommy Thompson, Josh Mandel - all gone! And Elizabeth Warren won in Massachusetts! Looks like we're stuck with Michelle Bachmann, but at least we got rid of crazy, crazy, Allen West down in Florida. At least Florida did something right, you redheaded stepchild of the election, you.

California didn't get rid of the death penalty, and that's a bit of a sour aftertaste, but at least we passed Prop 30 and won't go into worse financial trouble.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Glad that the DP is still in effect. I think rehabilitation works, yes, but even I will admit that their are those that are not worth the time, effort, or trouble to rehabilitate.

I dislike that we are just killing them and calling it that. I'd rather the blood and organs be harvested, instead of pumping the person full of poison.

Immigration reform is needed, but we also need to get rid of the current illegals. Basically, get rid of the illegals but also make it easier for them to enter the country legally, should they choose to return.

Years
Actually, no change happened last night. While liberals will celebrate the results for President, they also have to realize that Congress will remain exactly the same. The GOP retains the House, while the Democrats still have 51 Senate seats, with there being 2 Independents. I expect the big issues to be kicked down the curb for the next two years as both sides end up coming to status quo compromises.

21 Women senators, the most at any one time in American history, is change. An openly gay woman senator from Wisconsin, no less, is the the epitome of that change and shift in our thinking. Marijuana legalization in Colorado and Washington State is change. More states voting to legalize same sex marriage is change. Rooting out the tea party garbage and GOP extremists - West, Akin, Mourdoch, etc, is change. The American electorate is changing right before our eyes. Wise up and realize that or be left in the dust of history. Your choice.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I think it'll be a lot harder for the Republicans to be obstructionist in the wake of this defeat. They don't even know who'll be the Democrat running in '16 for starters.

I'm very pleased to see what Washington, Maryland, and Maine have done. Good job, y'all. Minnesota, you got some explaining to do. We're happy you voted for Obama and all, but still.

Todd Akin, Richard Moudock, Tommy Thompson, Josh Mandel - all gone! And Elizabeth Warren won in Massachusetts! Looks like we're stuck with Michelle Bachmann, but at least we got rid of crazy, crazy, Allen West down in Florida. At least Florida did something right, you redheaded stepchild of the election, you.

California didn't get rid of the death penalty, and that's a bit of a sour aftertaste, but at least we passed Prop 30 and won't go into worse financial trouble.

Actually, Minnesota failed to pass an amendment that would have banned samd-sex marriage. Same-sex marriage is not currently allowed in Minnesota, but anti-LGBT forces wanted to write it into the state constitution.

Also, two states legalized marijuana yesterday.

I honestly think that social issues got Obama reelected. The hardline stances that the GOP took on LGBT issues, immigration, and rape turned off many voters whom might otherwise agreed with the Republicans that Obama handled the economy poorly.

The saddest loss for me last night was not Mitt Romney's, but Scott Brown's. He was a friend of liberty who voted to repeals DADT and DOMA, and wanted immigration reform, but also voted to repeal Obamacare, and to keep taxes low. I didn't vote for Romney, while I worked hard to attempt to get Brown reelected.

Also, here's a statistic that interests me: 79% of Ron Paul supporters voted for Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson, 11.5% wrote-in Ron Paul's name, 5% voted for some other thrid party candidate, 3.5% voted for Romney, and 1% voted for Obama.

Finally, the Libertarian Party set records this election! They doubled their popular vote total from 2008, and broke their popular vote percentage record that was set in 1980 by Ed Clark!

P.S.
Maijuana legalization isn't a win for the Democrats, Livewire. The national Democratic Party opposes marijuana legalization. Both gubernatorial candidates opposed legalization when it was on the ballot here in California two years ago. The results in Washington and Colorado are Libertarian wins, not Democratic wins.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
P.S.
Maijuana legalization isn't a win for the Democrats, Livewire. The national Democratic Party opposes marijuana legalization. Both gubernatorial candidates opposed legalization when it was on the ballot here in California two years ago. The results in Washington and Colorado are Libertarian wins, not Democratic wins.

Not to step on Livewire's shoes but he said it was 'change', he didn't mention who was winning or benefiting from it.

Years

The only explaining we have to do is how Michelle Bachmann still has her seat (but, surprisingly, it was a very conservative district that almost voted her out). Those in favor of marriage equality needed to vote No here in order to keep from constitutionally banning gay marriage. Gay marriage is still illegal here, and has been statutorily so for the past 4+ decades. This is just keeping from making it effectively permanently outlawed.

Years
Actually, Minnesota failed to pass an amendment that would have banned samd-sex marriage. Same-sex marriage is not currently allowed in Minnesota, but anti-LGBT forces wanted to write it into the state constitution.

Also, two states legalized marijuana yesterday.

I honestly think that social issues got Obama reelected. The hardline stances that the GOP took on LGBT issues, immigration, and rape turned off many voters whom might otherwise agreed with the Republicans that Obama handled the economy poorly.

The saddest loss for me last night was not Mitt Romney's, but Scott Brown's. He was a friend of liberty who voted to repeals DADT and DOMA, and wanted immigration reform, but also voted to repeal Obamacare, and to keep taxes low. I didn't vote for Romney, while I worked hard to attempt to get Brown reelected.

Also, here's a statistic that interests me: 79% of Ron Paul supporters voted for Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson, 11.5% wrote-in Ron Paul's name, 5% voted for some other thrid party candidate, 3.5% voted for Romney, and 1% voted for Obama.

Finally, the Libertarian Party set records this election! They doubled their popular vote total from 2008, and broke their popular vote percentage record that was set in 1980 by Ed Clark!

P.S.

I made no assumption as to who to attribute the victory to, your own warped partisan views did that. Social change is social change.

And at the end of the day, what matters is that the White House & Senate are bright blue and the GOP/Tea Party are reeling from another disastrous defeat. Maybe next time they won't pick a fight with a new electorate immune to their bullcrap.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
I made no assumption as to who to attribute the victory to, your own warped partisan views did that. Social change is social change.

And at the end of the day, what matters is that the White House & Senate are bright blue and the GOP/Tea Party are reeling from another disastrous defeat. Maybe next time they won't pick a fight with a new electorate immune to their bullcrap.

Voter supression and ballot stuffing might have kept the White House blue, but the Senate is still only dimly blue, not bright blue. The House is also still bright red.

You are also errouneously equating the GOP with the TEA Party.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
They would win so much more if they would just back off of social issues, seriously. I will never vote for a Republican as long as they keep pushing those social issues, and a lot of people feel the same way.

Years
Voter supression and ballot stuffing might have kept the White House blue, but the Senate is still only dimly blue, not bright blue. The House is also still bright red.

You are also errouneously equating the GOP with the TEA Party.

Voter suppression failed to make it red again, you mean. And right now it's looking to be a 55-45 majority.

Then distance yourselves from the lunacy and call them out instead of pumping millions into supporting them. The Tea Party is a GOP faction, an they cost the GOP the senate, again. Haha.

Years
I just heard that Florida is too close to call. What is up with Florida?! They don't punish anybody for the death of an innocent baby, they throw a woman who defended herself in jail, the whole 2000 controversy, the long lines to vote and now this.

I wonder how Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock feel right now after they made those stupid and offensive rape comments and lost their races. Maybe others won't use rape as a position ever again.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Florida is slightly leaning Obama by about 30,000-40,000 votes, iirc.

droomph

weeb
Years
I say that anyone who is a democrat or republican, liberal or conservative alike are both crazy.

However, I am quite embarrassed by the republicans, because they don't try to compromise or listen to the other side at all, as far as I've seen. The democrats may have done that too, but at least their views benefit the society rather than the rich few under the guise of supporting the poor (ie trickle-down economics). I don't support them for this reason, if none other.

You can dislike someone, but that can't get in the way of doing what's right. Romney had supported the health care bill, but when he ran for president as a republican, he opposed it. This tells me that you simply disagree with the democrats (or anyone else, it seems) just because they're democrat, or independent, or whatever. This is the only fact I can't stand about the GOP, or whatever it seems to be called.

I can support anyone who supports tolerance.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I just heard that Florida is too close to call. What is up with Florida?! They don't punish anybody for the death of an innocent baby, they throw a woman who defended herself in jail, the whole 2000 controversy, the long lines to vote and now this.

I wonder how Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock feel right now after they made those stupid and offensive rape comments and lost their races. Maybe others won't use rape as a position ever again.

On Politico it still shows as counting but it says 100% counted (so I'm assuming <1% is left to count) and it's 100,000 votes leading Obama. It's been closely leading Obama the entire process so I would assume it's going to end up being Obama's as well.

Years
They would win so much more if they would just back off of social issues, seriously. I will never vote for a Republican as long as they keep pushing those social issues, and a lot of people feel the same way.
That's one of the things that I'm looking for - whether the Republicans are going to stick to their stance on social issues as they've done for as long as I've been old enough to know what they are.

Gay marriage is easily going to become legal everywhere eventually. Young people are in favor of it. Yet it's still something the Republicans are against, to their detriment.

Women's rights is another area where Republicans have been digging themselves into a hole for a long time. There are too many in the GOP who are against really basic, should-not-be-an-issue stuff like equal pay, contraception, abortion exceptions, and so on. Yeah, they make arguments based on "religious freedoms" and "free markets" to excuse their positions, but that's not gonna fly forever.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Funny thought...

The USA says that they negotiate/comprimise with Terrorists.

The politicians are refuse to negotiate/comprimise with each other.

Politicians = Terrorists?

Anyway, I have a bit of hope that this time they will work together or, now that he doesn't have to worry about reelection, that Obama starts to push a lot heavier for some of his legislation.

Edit - Here's a idea for a reform. Change congresses/senates/presidents/andvicepresidents pay to a maxium of 300k. The kicker? Their approval ratings determine what percentage of that pay they get.

Last edited:
Back