• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Ink's Blots

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2013
Hey! Thought I'd post some of my poke-centric art up for you guys to enjoy! These are all digital art, though I do traditional sketches frequently I don't get many chances to scan them in. Hope you enjoy!

Working on my dynamic sketching with one of my two favorite pokemon ever: Kangaskhan! Badass single ladies in the hizzhouse!
Spoiler:

And a dynamic sketch of the pokemon that shares the top spot in my heart with kangaskhan: Rattata!
Spoiler:

Made in memorium when the first pokemon that I ever caught in a nuzlocke dying. RIP Angel, she was a sweety and lasted my a long time.
Spoiler:

Made this for a Crystal Speed Run on youtube when the feed went down. A bit sketchy as I made it quickly, but I still like it.
Spoiler:

I made my own avatar! This is actually just a part of a larger picture that I made to be the cover of a nuzlocke comic that will probably never be :( I would post the full picture, but I don't have it on this computer and I'm on break.
Spoiler:

Gamma! My Porygon2 gjinka character! Total NEEERRRD!
Spoiler:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
You definately captured the rat angle of Rattata. Maybe a wild rat, though, the ones you get as pets are so docile looking.

Spoiler:

Anyway, Rattata's up there as one of my favorites, and I like Kangaskhan too, even though I've never found much motivation to draw one that wasn't a Tokidoki styled chibi.

My favorite picture's probably the technical difficulties one, but then again, I like cartoony stuff.

I have no suggestions or anything useful, I typically don't like telling people how to draw (unless something truly is off, which I didn't notice). But I just wanted to chime in and say you've got good stuff here. There doesn't seem to be a lot of commentary in the art section for some reason.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hey there!

I love the sketchiness of your digital art! It really gives it some depth in character. That Magnemite / Kangaskhan is giving me cute fits. They're absolutely adorable! :3

You have a very interesting style when it comes to drawing people. Your Porygon 2 character seems much more western / traditional comic than I would have expected. That one eye is a little confusing to me though. Still, a very neat interpretation!

So, if you don't mind me asking-- why Rattata and Kangaskhan?

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2013
Thank you both very much! :D I'm glad you like my work!

You definately captured the rat angle of Rattata. Maybe a wild rat, though, the ones you get as pets are so docile looking.
Well, you do catch rattata in the wild in every game, so they ARE wild rats :p

But really, yeah, I'm aware I draw rattata more scraggly than most do, but it's on purpose. There's no lack of cute rattata artwork, and there's not enough people who view rattata as cool or awesome so I go for that look >w< I WILL SHOW THE WORLD RATTATA CAN ROCK TOOOOOOO!

So, if you don't mind me asking-- why Rattata and Kangaskhan?
Hmm, well, that's a difficult one to pinpoint. I've always liked normal types, they always seem to get so little love, but they have some of the cutest designs, and I also feel that a lot of their designs are much simpler than others, especially in the more recent games. I like the simple and elegant designs over lots of frills and colors, so I've always liked the more mundane normal types in general.

I like rattata I think because it was one of the first pokemon if not the first pokemon I ever caught in any of the games. I always got really attached to the first pokemon I caught in any game, and I had very little idea about actually designing my team for type coverage or battle strength, so rattata/raticate always stayed on my team for the entire game, elite four and all. I guess I heard so many people talking about how it was a terrible pokemon and getting rid of it on their teams so I think I developed a stronger love for it defensively. It's also cute but I think it has a great potential for awesomeness, just look at how quick it is and those giant sharp fangs! You wouldn't want that flying at your face mouth open no matter how cute it is out of battle >w<

Actually that may account for my tend to like very underutilized pokemon in general. I don't care much for stats and battle technique that much XD

Kangaskhan is a little harder for me to pinpoint. I guess it's just in general that she's a badass single mother whose pokedex entries all talk about how you're never supposed to piss her off or else. I think she's cool, and baby kangaskhan is just about the most adorable effing thing ever! There may be something to the fact that I never managed to catch it in any game until HGSS, where she was the first thing I got with the pokewalker. There was a bit of an air of being unobtainable to her that makes her that much cooler too.

Wowee look at me ramble. Sorry if that was TMI XD

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Wow. That all sounds like me.

But really, yeah, I'm aware I draw rattata more scraggly than most do, but it's on purpose. There's no lack of cute rattata artwork, and there's not enough people who view rattata as cool or awesome so I go for that look >w< I WILL SHOW THE WORLD RATTATA CAN ROCK TOOOOOOO!

Don't sweat it, man, I hear ya. I know there's an abundance of cute Rattata art and I'm sure I'm not helping. But sometimes you gotta show a different angle. The way all of our interpretations balance each other out is what makes fan contributions to Pokemon so good. What you do for Rattata, I'd do the opposite for a Pokemon like Nidorino, or heck Raticate. "Overly vicious looking? Nah, they're not so tough! How can you resist this smile?" I try to show the cute, friendly or funny side of Pokemon.

I've always liked normal types, they always seem to get so little love, but they have some of the cutest designs, and I also feel that a lot of their designs are much simpler than others, especially in the more recent games. I like the simple and elegant designs over lots of frills and colors, so I've always liked the more mundane normal types in general.

That's actually an important factor of character design. Maybe more western in practice, but nevertheless.

I had very little idea about actually designing my team for type coverage or battle strength, so rattata/raticate always stayed on my team for the entire game, elite four and all. I guess I heard so many people talking about how it was a terrible pokemon and getting rid of it on their teams so I think I developed a stronger love for it defensively.

Actually that may account for my tend to like very underutilized pokemon in general. I don't care much for stats and battle technique that much XD

Even after I've figured out strategic battling, I still usually played with favorites instead, and probably had at least two of them in my team. I can't say I've kept Rat(tata/icate) on my team for the long haul, but if Nidoran Female is obtainable during the game's initial campaign, you can bet I had a Nidorina for the rest of the game.

The other two points about liking underused or underappreciated Pokemon, and liking them more because others snub them off are also something I can relate to, both Rats included. It helps that I like rodents iRL so they have a bias in their favor. My favorite Pokemon family, generally speaking, is the Nidoran family, but I seem to be apathetic to Nidoking solely because he doesn't need me to vouch for him, and probably drawn to Nidorina the most because at the time, she really needed all the help she could get. It's not nearly as bad anymore, though.

Other Pokemon get this reverse popularity treatment from me as well. Dunno why I feel like I have to advocate for them, I just kind of do. :\

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
That style is interesting. Sketchy, but it still is clean enough to understand it. I like the fierceness you captured in the Rattata drawing (aren't they awesome?).

But the Pokeball shows that you're capable of drawing quality, detailed pictures and it still looks good. Certainly better than what I could do. (;

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2013
I actually found the full cover that the pokeball's from! Still don't have the first page that I made, but figured I'd post the full picture anyways. It's not much more interesting than what you've already seen, it's an extreme closeup so there's not a lot going on. Sadly, this comic probably will never be because it takes so long to do pages and it's my senior year and goddam thesis work takes up my life.

Spoiler:

That style is interesting. Sketchy, but it still is clean enough to understand it. I like the fierceness you captured in the Rattata drawing (aren't they awesome?).

But the Pokeball shows that you're capable of drawing quality, detailed pictures and it still looks good. Certainly better than what I could do. (;

Ah, yeah, I am totally capable of clean work, but it just takes so long to ink cleanly for me, that I don't do it very often.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
the pokeball icon is amazing. it looks so realistic with the lighting effects~
the black and white drawings are awesome. if you plan on coloring them, i would try removing some of the heaviness of the black lines or change the color of them so they almost are a little darker then the color of the pokemon to blend in to the drawing.
the character drawing is so clever! it's really awesome! you should make more of those (:
can't wait to see more.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2013
Thank you very much for the comments!

Up next! Sketch of the character I will (hopefully) be playing in the Reboot of the Nuzlocke rp, Leo Pride :3 Not entirely happy with it, but it was kinda just a sketch where the coloring got out of hand, so it doesn't bug me too much. *shrug*

Spoiler:

Back