• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RM2K/3 Pokemon Battle System

Are you planning on using the battle sys in your game?

• Yes

Votes: 88 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 16.1%
  • Not sure yet...

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 11 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pidgeot500

Homeless
Years
Why do you say you couldn't do it? Is not enough known? Of course the main prerequisite for an rm2k programmer to do this is to have a mind that can work out how to engineer things to provide for accessibilityy and efficiency.

I know that I usually program something and then reprogram it once or twice to be more efficient, for instance a web server. Thomas Biskup, the famed creator of the Ancient Domains of Mystery rogue-like game (http://www.adom.de/) gradually dropped off working on ADoM over the span of about a decade because, in his own words, "it was a mess of special cases", and began working on a sequel in Java, because of its cross-platform compatability, and this time he's designing it to allow for easy update and implementation of new features.

Of course, Inverse was my first web server and ADoM was Thomas Biskup's first rogue-like, so it's natural to want to do it over. However, ideally someone with experience with stuff like that could make it work decently the first time. Perhaps this Pheonix person. Or perhaps you. :)

RM2K3kid

Insane..
Years
I would help but the battle system is too mixed together for me to add/edit! I'm also busy with two large projects...! So I can't really take time from either one... Sorry I hope you can find someone to help!

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
Barry said:
Well it's not that we don't want to, it's more we can't... at least I can safely say I'd do it if I could. I bet Pheonix could do it though. Come on Pheonix, we need you. ;)
I've always been willing to help out, more so than ever. It would be a shame for Krazy to do all that work for no one to continue it's progress. It's just a matter of rearranging some of the variables for and adding in a few more and then I can easily add damage calculations, HP loss, EXP gained etc.

Years
phoenix316 said:
I've always been willing to help out, more so than ever. It would be a shame for Krazy to do all that work for no one to continue it's progress. It's just a matter of rearranging some of the variables for and adding in a few more and then I can easily add damage calculations, HP loss, EXP gained etc.
Awesome! Finally someone decides to help ^_^
Yeah well I'm sure you know where everything is because you successfully edited the first release of the battle system didn't you? Or did you make that one from scratch? Anyway nothing has really changed from the first version.. Just half an item sys included.. Gfx changed a bit.. Lots of fixes on bugs and some more stuff.. Well thanks a lot Phoenix, I wish you the best of luck

Illusion

RMXP game maker
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2011
I would like to help, i've made a cbs and each pokemon has it's own stats(even for the same level)
And the ennemy can get poisoned. the moves lso depend on speatk or atk ( i've only got growl, tackle and water bubbles in skills.)
hope i can help all of you. :)

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
Pokemaster_shiny said:
I would like to help, i've made a cbs and each pokemon has it's own stats(even for the same level)
And the ennemy can get poisoned. the moves lso depend on speatk or atk ( i've only got growl, tackle and water bubbles in skills.)
hope i can help all of you. :)
Sure you can help. Have you messed around with Krazy's CBS yet? You should familiarise yourself with his coding methods first. I'm just tackling the HP bars right now to do damage calculations.
Krazy can you explain the variables for line 4 and line 6 here?
BScode.png

I need to rename them to Current HP, Max HP, HP loss so I can use the formulae HP Loss / Max HP x 100 = Current HP but your variable names are confusing.

Years
phoenix316 said:
Sure you can help. Have you messed around with Krazy's CBS yet? You should familiarise yourself with his coding methods first. I'm just tackling the HP bars right now to do damage calculations.
Krazy can you explain the variables for line 4 and line 6 here?
BScode.png

I need to rename them to Current HP, Max HP, HP loss so I can use the formulae HP Loss / Max HP x 100 = Current HP but your variable names are confusing.
Uhhh you're in the event which shows the HP bar aren't you? It gets very ugly around there.. I had some code which (in theory) should have worked but it didn't *shock* so I had to re-do the code over and over again to make it work..
In the end, what happened was I set up a fake hero HP which is only used for the hp bar.. I had to make the event think that the hero's HP was still 1 while it deducted HP from the bar..
If you looks at the first event I made which starts up the battle then you will find a variable which the HP of pokemon in your party get transferred into depending on which one is in 1st position.. I think.. I am downloading the battle sys now because I don't have it on this particular PC so you will have to excuse my in-expertice..
I will post some more once I check it out myself..
Oh by the way, damage is not calculated in the HP bar.. It is done in an event on the battle sys map..

Years
Ok the formula for damage against the hero is done in an event in the bottom left called "Enemy Attack"
The formula for damage against the enemy is at the top right under another event.. It's called "attack battle animat", both events also have the animations on the same page. Page 2 is the formula for level up
I left comments there just in case anyone ever wanted to change the formula.. I don't know if they will be much help to you because I am quite un-organized..

EDIT: I am on msn if you would like to talk

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
Years
Krazy_Meerkat said:
By correct variable names.. I meant all of the variables I used in my damage formula.. I have variables for level, hp, max hp, pp, max pp, ferocity etc. etc. They all had individual names...
Yes Rm2k3 has support for structures.. You have to make them by yourself with the variables.. You can use +-/* and mod to change the variables in some way.. I have only ever used mod to pack a few variables into one.. A process known as variable splitting. Saves a whole lot of variables in the end..
1) How can I do a variable split? Like, what do I click on? Or is there another way to copy a whole bunch of variables?

2) To use your battle system, do we need to use all the variables? Or are there only some we need to use?

Anyway, good progress on the battle system.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
If people are still looking for slaves... I mean workers XD to do stuff, then I'm OK. I can do maps and some common events. Of course I'll understand if you don't want to add a complete n00b to the team, but I do know a fair bit XD

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
GymLeaderLance99 - Krazy explained variable splitting in that quote. And you don't need to use every single variable. But the battle system will take up a fair few of the maximum allowed.

Mr Cat Dog - We're allows looking for more slaves...err...helpers. DM has a team list with everybody who's helping. The only problem is we can never get a time when everyone can work on it at the same time due to people being in different timezones and having school, college, work etc.

Krazy - I must have missed you on MSN. I'll catch you online next time and we can go over everything.

Years
GymLeaderLance99 said:
1) How can I do a variable split? Like, what do I click on? Or is there another way to copy a whole bunch of variables?

2) To use your battle system, do we need to use all the variables? Or are there only some we need to use?

Anyway, good progress on the battle system.
Well I explained this in another thread.. Here it is:
Krazy_Meerkat said:
You have to use the mod command in the variable operations section..
I used something similar for my CNS.. Mine was a bit different because i was splitting and repairing variables..
The mod command divides the variable by a number and leaves the remainder in the variable..
Alright say your number was $304, you mod it by 100 and the answer is 3 rmdr 4, the 4 will be put into the original variable you were using to do the sum. That's why it's a good idea to copy your variable.. Do something like this var [0001:ones] set var [0002:hero's money]
Then you can mod it without losing the data you had in the money variable..
The battle system uses triple-double variable splitting.. I'm not sure if that's what it's called but it just sounds so kool... Anyway that means that it splits 1 variable into 3 and then another variable into 3.

I used to have a list of all the variables and switches I used in the battle system.. If you explore the thread a little bit then maybe you will find it.. If I were you I wouldn't use any of the variables that the battle system uses at all.

Years
I noticed that the download doesn't work for the battle system anymore.. I thought I may as well upload it here in case anyone wants to use it..
One file has the .exe file included and the other doesn't..

Barry

Pokémon Trainer
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 16, 2018
Well I'm impressed. Especially now. I had played it before. Never tried to catch a pokemon or anything. I not only caught one but leveled up too. The PC worked too. I had no idea it would. Looks like you've got a good part of it done. Might want to do the Switching Pokemon part next. I had when I hit enter on it and then getting stuck... Good luck.

I think I may actually be able to help now. More thank just mapping. I'm getting better with rm2k3. Though I think I can just as well use my abilities in my current position which is writing the story for the game being made with the battle sys. Good luck!

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Hey, I may have said this before, but I'm always ready to help!!

Years
Barry said:
Well I'm impressed. Especially now. I had played it before. Never tried to catch a pokemon or anything. I not only caught one but leveled up too. The PC worked too. I had no idea it would. Looks like you've got a good part of it done. Might want to do the Switching Pokemon part next. I had when I hit enter on it and then getting stuck... Good luck.

I think I may actually be able to help now. More thank just mapping. I'm getting better with rm2k3. Though I think I can just as well use my abilities in my current position which is writing the story for the game being made with the battle sys. Good luck!
Well I un-intentionally made the coding for pokemon switch already.. All that would be needed would be the screen for pokemon switch and some cms-style coding for it and then the rest of the coding could be put in quickly..
EDIT: More helpers are always good Daegon, Phoenix seems to be leading the project now.. He has volunteered where no-one else would.. Makes me feel kinda proud :)
DM hasn't been on for a while so I guess he will find out later..
He may have given up on it like a lot of others..

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Well, since me and Phoenix live in the same time zone, I should be able to do stuff with him at least.. so - what do you want me to do? ^_^

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
Daegon - The more help the better.

If we're all willing to start on the whole game as well as the battle system then we're going to need sign up's again. Just state what you're willing to do:
CBS Coding Phoenix, Daegon, Open
CMS Coding Phoenix, Esai, Open
Map Making Phoenix, Barry, rm2k3kid, Mr Cat Dog, DMMP
Common Events Mr Cat Dog, Open
Map Events Esai, NeoDragon, Open
Story Creation Barry, Mr Cat Dog

I think that's everything that was on the last list. First thing we can all decide is regions. rm2k3kid made these regions back when we first started:
LorcaRegion.png
AzzicRegion.png

So do we use these, I like them and would be happy to use them. After we decide the region's landscape, the mappers can start on Towns and Routes.

And remember, the more people that help = the quicker the game will be finished & the quality of the game will be higher.

Last edited:

Esai

♥♥♥ With Bubbleicious ♥&#9
Years
Ill help with the map events, and cms coding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back