• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In-Game Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

Oshy

♩♫♩
Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2013
Which gym leader? I, personally, didn't find anything hard about Brycen, the 7th gym leader in Pokemon white. Since he was ice I mainly used my Emboar to take his Pokemon out.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I am currently playing through Emerald and i have been picking up interesting pokemon, that i normally don't choose, for various reasons.

I want to setup a team for the Elite 4 and beyond of Non-Legendaries and hope to get your opinions.

I would just like to know, out of these, which team would be best suited. This way i can focus a bit more on them.

These are the pokemon i have currently, including movesets and levels.

Wailmer Lvl 32

Rollout
Blizzard
Surf
Mist

Manectric Lvl 32

Howl
Spark
Thunder
Quick Attack

Gardevior Lvl 30

Calm Mind
Teleport
Shock Wave
Psychic

Grovyle Lvl 34

Leaf Blade
Cut
Absorb
Pursuit

Camerupt Lvl 33

Rock Slide
Strength
Fire Blast
Sunny Day

Vibrava Lvl 35

Crunch
Fly
Dragonbreath
Sand Tomb

Castform Lvl 25

Powder snow
Rain Dance
Sunny Day
Hail

Lombre Lvl 19

Astonish
Growl
Absorb
Fake Out

Magnemite Lvl 23

Thundershock
Supersonic
Sonicboom
Thunderwave

Swellow Lvl 24

Wing Attack
Steel Wing
Focus Energy
Quick Attack

Aron Lvl 23

Metal Claw
Rock Smash
Mud Slap
Roar

Kecleon Lvl 30

Faint Attack
Fury Swipes
Psybeam
Screech

Spheal Lvl 32

Ice Ball
Body Slam
Aurora Beam
Hail

Skarmory Lvl 25

Fly
Sand Attack
Rock Smash
Agility

Azumarill Lvl 34

Surf
Rollout
Bubblebeam
Double-Edge

I am just about to get the 7th badge, so i will soon be at the Elite 4.

I plan to catch a Houndoor, Bagon and Duskull at the moment for more choice, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Personally I think you have too many Pokemon. E4 is going to be minimum lv 45 with at least 5 pokemon each. I would always run thru at least 2 pokemon. Those two you can get to thru the entire thing w/o many problems. You can get a third just to be safe. I always ran Water starter and Ralts combo thru entire game. Just my 2 cents

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 4, 2022
Catch a Sharpedo off the west coast of Mossdeep and make sure it knows Crunch. Then have fun :3

This. And doesn't your Mightyena know a good Dark or Ghost move? That'll OHKO almost all of their Pokémon, if not all of them. For Solrock and Lunatone, your Lombre can also be useful with some Water or Grass attack.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I've merged a bunch of threads that fit here better as movesets are needed for team rates; general questions however are for this thread.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
Electivire Moveset?

Help me out?
I have my electivire as a mixed sweeper right now

Ability - Motor Drive
-Rain Dance
-Brick Break
-Thunder
-Ice Punch

Last edited:
Years
So I succeeded in ruining yet another emerald game so I restarted. What would be a good first few pokemon to catch? I chose torchic as my starter.

Edit: I've got my team mostly figured out by now and but I was still wondering if I should go with Lotad or Ralts?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2013
Need help for a team

I have three Pokemon I want in my Kanto team they are charizard pikachu and dragonite but I don't know what other three I should get maybe a water and grass I don't know please help

Also it can be any Pokemon from kanto

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
Feedback on pre-30's team

Hey everyone!

I am new to everything Pokemon basicly and decided to try it out. I thought it best to start out at the beginning with FireRed before I move on to HeartGold etc...but that is not important atm.

What I am reaching out for here is a little feedback on my pre-30's team.
I know this is probably a chore for you guys/gals, but there is so much varying information out there based on stuff I have no clue if it is relevant for me or not.

Info:
Desired playstyle/goal is to play through the normal storyline (maybe get a legendary or two if possible) and then move on to the next game. No 100% completion, competetive play etc.

Active Team so far:
Nidoking lv 24
Charmeleon lv 23 (starter choice)
Gyarados lv 20
Pikachu lv 19
Mankey lv 13
Abra lv 12

I've got several other ofc. I think I've caught all the ones available so far (I am standing outside Misty's Gym atm).

I would appreciate it very much if you would help me line up a path for the game so that I don't waste too much time leveling up something useless or something that will be swapped for something better soon anyway.

A newbie gives thanks :)

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Hmm, seems like I don't understand well. You want to know if these team members are worth continuing the training on them? Or something else?

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for getting back to me on this :)

Well, yes to your question, and to add to it:

Are there any specific Pokemon I really should be aiming for other than the ones I got?
Someone that are like a "given" to have in any successful party.

Example:
Drop Pikachu because you'll be getting/using [insert electrical pokemon here] later anyway.
Swap it for Spearow for now since a flying pokemon is good for [insert reason here].
And swap out Mankey since you got Nidoking. Look for a [insert type of pokemon] instead.

:)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2021
Well for in-game playthroughs, most Pokémon will work just fine, with a few notable exceptions, and a lot of people just use their favorites.
Still if you are more concerned against getting through the game swiftly, then here is some advice.

Nidoking is pretty powerful all around and is offensively powerful, his only problem is that most of his really outstanding moves are either TMs you'll only get once (Earthquake) or are incredibly expensive like Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt. Though you can always go for the rather cheap Blizzard, Fire Blast and Thunder which are more powerful and less costly but suffer from low PP and a reduced accuracy.
Summary: Extremely powerful, but needs TMs to work.

Charmeleon It's final form is above average when it comes to playthroughs though not overpowered or broken by any stretch of the imagination. It learns some good moves without TMs and you can teach it Fly to make some use of its secondary type. Overall a solid choice.

Gyarados Becomes much more powerful, offensively, in Generation IV. Being a Water/Flying with high Attack and no flying moves is certainly not ideal, but with its ability and high stats it is still somewhat useable. It's a good candidate for random physical moves though his move pool in that regard is very shallow
Suggestion: Replace with another water type (unless you like his cool factor), some choices are:

Pikachu Pikachu is certainly usable and learns some decent moves, but even after evolving to Raichu it's not that special. It is certainly OK, but there are some better electric types available. Though most of them have their own issues.

Mankey It's very frail with a kind of weak movepool and does not have really enough offense to make up for it. Also, there isn't that much in the game that will be weak to fighting. IT doesn't really have much going for it. It's usable but certainly below average.

Abra If you can actually evolve it to Alakazam through a trade it becomes an offensive powerhouse. There isn't much in the game that resists it with the scarcity of Dark and Steel types in FR/LG. If you can't trade you'll be stuck with Kadabra who is still pretty powerful but not that much better than other Psychics in FRLG like Mr. Mime or Hypno.

Suggestions
Lapras Strong, bulky, good coverage with Water/Ice especially in the Elite 4. Very good Pokémon you get it pretty late in Saffron City. If you don't have some personal preference for Gyarados' 'awesome'-factor then definitely replace him.
Vaporeon Very very sturdy with decent offensive stats. Another valid water-type to consider if you wish to replace Gyarados.
Snorlax pretty powerful, good moves, good defensive stats. Can learn a wide array of coverage moves like Shadow Ball. Replacing either Mankey or Pikachu would be a good choice.
Machop - replace Mankey only if you can trade to evolve Machop to his final form and you actually want to have a fighting type on your team.
Hitmonlee another potent fighting type with strong attack. Available reasonably early once you get to Saffron city.
Jinx You can trade a Poliwhirl in Cerulean to get her. That also means that her experience gain will get boosted which is a nice bonus. If you take Lapras their typing is a little redundant, but it's not a big issue. Again replace either Mankey or Pikachu.
Zapdos only if you don't mind using legendaries. Very powerful and already caught at a high level.
Some others: Doduo, Geodude, Electabuzz, Jolteon, Mr. Mime, Exeggcute.

Obviously those suggestions are under the assumption that you have taken no particular liking to any members of your team, otherwise I'd advise against replacing them.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the great and informative reply :D

It really gave me some food for thought.
After looking them up I think I will be aiming for this setup:

Charmander/-meleon/-izard (fire/flying)
Nidoking (poison/ground)
Lapras (water/ice)
Kadabra (psychic) (can't trade sadly...still keep after 30's?)
Zapdos (electric/flying)
Snorlax (normal)

And I'll keep the option of going for Vaporeon/Jolteon and the other forms as an alternative I think.

And consider something other than Kadabra since he is kinda stuck in that form for me.
Him and Diglett have been ravaging opponents lately though so they do a good job atm at least.

I'm not overly attached to any of them yet, but do keep Char and Nido with me at all times since they are the ones I've had the longest.

Thanks again for the help :)

Back