• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A Thread v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
If I understand the concept of U-Turn/Volt Switch momentum in battles correctly, the idea is to use U-Turn/Volt Switch on a predicted switch to bring in a counter to the counter that your opponent is bringing in to your U-Turner/Volt Switcher.

Like let's say you have Scizor out, and the opponent has Mega Diancie out. Your opponent doesn't want to keep in Mega Diancie because it'll get annihilated by Scizor's Bullet Punch. But they have a Heatran on their team, which counters your Scizor. So they're probably going to switch Mega Diancie out for Heatran. So you use U-Turn then, predicting this switch. Heatran comes out, Scizor U-turns away, and you bring in your Heatran counter, all in the same turn. The turn is over, and your opponent is still in an unfavorable position.

Okay, that I can sort of understand. Although I still don't get why switching normally ruins your momentum, while U turning keeps it going even though they're both switching at the same point in battle (if your pokemon is faster than your opponent, that is) but I do kind of understand what you're saying though

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Okay, that I can sort of understand. Although I still don't get why switching normally ruins your momentum, while U turning keeps it going even though they're both switching at the same point in battle (if your pokemon is faster than your opponent, that is) but I do kind of understand what you're saying though
Manually switching can do the same thing too, it's just that U-Turn/Volt Switch has the added benefits of doing a bit of damage or letting you escape from trapping moves/abilities. It also allows a slow, bulky teammate to safely bring in a frail Pokemon.

Garlana

The boy who never grew up.
Years
Hi all,

I'm having a semi competitive 3vs3 monotype battle with a friend in a few weeks. We don't really get much time to play anymore so im a bit outa of touch, we like the bragging rights of winning against each other so its important i win!

Any suggestions on a monotype that would work well? Looking for a small team that would be able to cover most of their weaknesses(i'm aware that this is impossible) .We are both picking at type from random, so it could go horribly wrong for one of us from the get go.

Just throw your though ideas out there. I think its important to mention that i have Pokemon X and have no access to the latest game.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
HOW does Sheer Force augment Venom Drench?? Its a non damaging move

http://www.serebii.net/abilitydex/sheerforce.shtml
That is probably and error on Serebii's part. Not like Bulbapedia's immune to errors either, but they don't list Venom Drench on their Sheer Force page:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sheer_Force_(Ability)

Venom Drench is also the only non-damaging move listed on the Serebii page. Either way, Sheer Force boosts damage, so there's no way for it to affect non-damaging moves.

Hi all,

I'm having a semi competitive 3vs3 monotype battle with a friend in a few weeks. We don't really get much time to play anymore so im a bit outa of touch, we like the bragging rights of winning against each other so its important i win!

Any suggestions on a monotype that would work well? Looking for a small team that would be able to cover most of their weaknesses(i'm aware that this is impossible) .We are both picking at type from random, so it could go horribly wrong for one of us from the get go.

Just throw your though ideas out there. I think its important to mention that i have Pokemon X and have no access to the latest game.
You may wanna try posting in our Battling and Team Building section instead

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Does anyone find Telepathy useful on Musharna? I initially bred two (one with synchronize and one with Forewarn) to try out both to see which I wanted, but I've decided to go the Hypnosis+Dream Eater route and because of that, I CAN'T use Synchronize in case someone paralyses or poisons Musharna first, then it passes that condition to the attacker and therefore cannot put them to sleep, so my only options are Forewarn and to rebreed to get Telepathy, and I never bred telepathy in the first place because not only is it only useful in double or triple battles, but it also is only useful on the (relatively) few attacks that attack team mates so now I'm not really sure what to do with Musharna so I'm just curious now that my only options are Forewarn and Telepathy if anyone uses Telepathy on Musharna and what you think of it. And for that matter, if anyone uses Forewarn (not just read the text description on Serebii and decided it was useless) I'd like to hear opinions on that too please. Thank you!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Does anyone find Telepathy useful on Musharna? I initially bred two (one with synchronize and one with Forewarn) to try out both to see which I wanted, but I've decided to go the Hypnosis+Dream Eater route and because of that, I CAN'T use Synchronize in case someone paralyses or poisons Musharna first, then it passes that condition to the attacker and therefore cannot put them to sleep, so my only options are Forewarn and to rebreed to get Telepathy, and I never bred telepathy in the first place because not only is it only useful in double or triple battles, but it also is only useful on the (relatively) few attacks that attack team mates so now I'm not really sure what to do with Musharna so I'm just curious now that my only options are Forewarn and Telepathy if anyone uses Telepathy on Musharna and what you think of it. And for that matter, if anyone uses Forewarn (not just read the text description on Serebii and decided it was useless) I'd like to hear opinions on that too please. Thank you!

The Hypnosis + Dream Eater strategy is unreliable because the first thing the opponent does with a sleeping Pokemon is to switch it out, rendering Dream Eater useless on the switch-in.

Telepathy only sees use in double battle formats, when Musharna would be paired with an Earthquake user. In singles, however, Synchronize is the preferred ability in order to punish opponents for burning it, poisoning it or paralyzing it.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Can any one tell me the secret to getting solrock and lunatone in the glittering cave?
There's no secret really. It's just pure chance. And pretty crappy chance at that. They both only have a 10% to appear, and it doesn't help that they only appear from those dark blobs in the cave. And it's not like Magnet Pull or Static helps here, so unfortunately you just have to keep trying until they show up =(

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
There's no secret really. It's just pure chance. And pretty crappy chance at that. They both only have a 10% to appear, and it doesn't help that they only appear from those dark blobs in the cave. And it's not like Magnet Pull or Static helps here, so unfortunately you just have to keep trying until they show up =(

I know it was no real secret, on serebii is says "3d and special" so I thought it was some thing weird about getting those 2. But thanks for the info.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
If I buy a game card version of X/Y does the physical copies needs to be updated too?

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
So I just got to Lapras in Y and now I need to dedicate a couple of HM slaves, so what moves are needed to explore in X and Y?

I know Dive is not used (so I won't need that) but are Cut, Fly, Surf, Strength, Waterfall, Flash and Rock Smash the only field moves I'm going to need to explore? (I already know about sweet scent and have a level 100 Teddiursa for that) I want to know all the field moves I will need so I can plan what pokemon will learn what moves. It was easier in ORAS because Dragonite could learn fly, Surf, Dive and Waterfall so I could put all my travel moves on one pokemon and all my obstacle moves on another (Kecleon, I believe) but now that I have Lapras and can ride it ont he overworld, I want to keep that as the water travel pokemon and just want to make sure wI know what moves can be used so I only need one other pokemon to handle everything else I may come across. Thanks!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Tell me everything
Just letting you know that I moved your thread into the Q&A thread.

And in addition to what Oblox posted, this might be worth looking at too: http://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire/Effort_Values

It says ORAS but it still applies for all 6th Gen games. If you have further questions, feel free to ask in this thread.

If you were instead wondering how to breed for IVs (you train for EVs, breed for IVs, and it's important to know the difference between the two), the Trade Corner has a good guide on breeding right here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=321336#breeding

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 25, 2015
Will Deleting my Profile Delete Event Pokemon Also?

So I have been considering deleting my profile on Pokemon Y and starting over. I'm just interested in playing the game from the start once again and am willing to re-train my pokemon once again.

The only problem I have is that I also have an Event Diancie that I'm not sure I'll get back if I start over. I noticed I still have a Diancie Wonder Card in the gifts folder, which appears to be separate from the game profiles as it is available at the main menu.

Based on this information I am unsure if this means I can reacquire Diancie once I start again or if I will be stuck with just the Wonder Card. I still have the activation code for some reason but I doubt it will work a second time.

If you have any information it would be greatly appreciated

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Nope, once you delete your save file off your game card EVERYTHING is gone, including all your pokemon if you don't move them to another game or onto Pokebank. Wonder cards, everything is deleted. And even if your Diancie Wonder Card didn't get deleted (for the sake of argument) the event has expired so you can no longer download it from the internet.

Alpha_Spike

Ace Trainer
Years
As stated above, you'll lose everything upon deleting the save. However there is a way to keep certain stuff you want, if you like. It requires another system and game, or another person willing to help. Trade all you wish to keep to them, giving the pokemon items to hold, then restart. As soon as you get the pokedex and balls, start catching enough to trade back for them. Requires someone you trust, or as I said another system and game that you can control. Also apparently if you have Pokebank you can send pokemon to there, without items, and keep them in a new game. But for items the way I suggested is the only way, and also the way I suggested is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back