• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

So this question goes to those with similar background/context. Which one would you guys recommend? I.E., which is the best (in general opinion) to get back into it?
Preferrably, the most recent one (X/Y). The benefits you have are as follows:
1) You're up to date with the current generation...
2) Which means you can trade, battle, and do your thing with everyone else in the world.
3) You will also be able to catch tons of pokemon in-game -- even those you probably never knew existed. Of course, that includes the newest pokemon.
4) The current-gen threads are the most active as well; so if you have any troubles understanding one thing or another, many people will be available to help you at a snap of a finger. Although i think it doesn't really matter since they're all still pretty active.
5) All Pokemon games are quite the same. The only difference is the story (and some other features like the World Tournament in Gen V), and you can always get the older ones later on.

The only cons for getting the latest-gen game is that you need both a 3DS and money to buy the game at full price (since buying older games cost less) and if that's a problem for you, you should probably go for Gen V (B/W & B2/W2) since the post-game is better than previous gens imo.

Don't worry about difficulty, either. It has been asked many times, but really, there is no main-series Pokemon game that isn't newbie-friendly. Sure you have to pick up some terms, names and whatnot here and there, but that doesn't really make the game any harder to play. Rest assured, eventually, as you play the game, you will catch on.

Last edited:

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
Years
QUESTION

If I leveled up a shiny Nincada to the point where it evolves (lvl 20?) would the Ninjask and Shedinja both be shiny as well, or would just the Ninjask be shiny?

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
And is Explorers of Sky better then Gates to Infinity?

Hi Jiftyj, since I own both games, I have to say that I really like the story of PMD Sky better than PMD Gates to Infinity. Sure, PMD Gates to Infinity is a very nice and well-made game with the graphics and sounds, it has everything but.. the story is indeed a bit on the short hand. Although PMD Gates to Infinity had a nice feature of making your own paradise with your partner, there isn't that much left to do in post-game. You can battle a very select group of legendary-boss Pokemon in post-game and obtaining them in your team is impossible unfortunately.. Also the battles (especially with bosses) are a lot easier (I remember thinking while battling as a Pikachu: Whut? Defeated Kyurem with barely any scratches at all O_o?!). A good thing what I also liked was that in PMD Gates to Infinity wild Pokemon suddenly could evolve in battle, but a downside of this feature is that when you are training to level up, a wild evolved Pokemon whipes you and your partner out within seconds O_o waaaayy to over powered, especially when you just started your game.

Like in PMD Sky and the previous series, there are a lot more Pokemon you can choose from and obtain. The story is a lot longer too and also has a large post-game in my opinion. I remember playing PMD Sky the most because of this :3 And I liked the fact that PMD Sky seems a bit "harder" to play than PMD Gates to Infinity.

So, if you prefer a very nice looking, somewhat simple gameplay, but fun game for a short period to kill time, PMD Gates to Infinity is your game. If you are looking for more challenge, longer and harder gameplay and still want to feel the thrill of obtaining almost every Pokemon, when "finally a specific Pokemon wants to join your team", I would say you should choose PMD Sky ;) ^_^

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

If I leveled up a shiny Nincada to the point where it evolves (lvl 20?) would the Ninjask and Shedinja both be shiny as well, or would just the Ninjask be shiny?
I'm not one who has experienced it personally, but i'm pretty sure both would be shiny. I mean Shedinja counts as Nincada's evolution and it inherits the Nature, and all IVs Nincada originally had -- so that should definitely include the shiny factor. It's basically like a "DNA" copy.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
They should both be. Otherwise, idk how anyone would ever get a shiny Shedinja. Tempted to RNG a shiny Nincada just to try this now.

Years
QUESTION

Yeah, the Shedinja would be shiny, too. I've done this evolution twice before and both times I received a shiny Shedinja. But yeah, like Syd said (huehue), how else would you get a shiny Shedinja?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 6, 2013
Whats the logic behind a Pokemon learning a certain move?

For example, i know Gardevoir can learn multiple types of moves because she looks and acts like a spellcaster.

But what i dont get is why Roselia/Roserade can learn Shadow Ball, i dont see any "logic" behind it like i do with Gardevoir for example.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Whats the logic behind a Pokemon learning a certain move?

For example, i know Gardevoir can learn multiple types of moves because she looks and acts like a spellcaster.

But what i dont get is why Roselia/Roserade can learn Shadow Ball, i dont see any "logic" behind it like i do with Gardevoir for example.

Some Pokemon learn moves based on their origins. Greninja, going along with its ninja motif, is able to learn moves such as Smokescreen, Mat Block, Night Slash, Shadow Sneak, Faint Attack, Water Shuriken, Substitute and Double Team by level-up. Before you ask why male Gogoat can learn Milk Drink, this is because male goats can lactate milk in real life.

For other Pokemon, we don't know for certain, like why Fennekin can learn Power-Up Punch despite being an obvious quadruped, Wooper and Gastly being able to use Ice Punch despite lacking arms or Zangoose unable to learn Cut despite obviously having claws to cut with.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2014
How Important Are Natures in Semi-Competitive Battling

I know some people think I'm crazy for even asking. But I don't mean I expect to take people from Smogon on without first spending hours on breeding. But, for online battles and maybe ocassional battling of other members, how important is it if I spend a long time on EV's on movesets?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

To keep it simple, it's a direct multiplier (1.1x) for a stat. So the bigger number you have on a stat, the higher bonus you receive from the beneficial nature. Sure, you have a decrease (0.9x) on another stat, but usually, you'll aim for a Nature that decreases a stat that is insignificant.

The importance is just as nearly as valuable as IVs, if not more. It may seem like a small increase, but it does build up into a noticeable difference once EVs and IVs are already put into place. Plus, it's pretty easy to get -- which is more of the reason why people would encourage you to make that extra effort.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 26, 2013
I wanted to start Pokémon breeding soon but I have no idea what to do!

How can I get the best IV's? Can the offspring have good IV's even if the parent doesn't? What's the best way to get a shiny from breeding?

If anyone has any other helpful tips or information I should know before I start breeding pokemon, please let me know. Thanks!

Years
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not tell me when i should post this question.

Alright, my question is can you trade the Shiny Charm from B2/W2 to X/Y?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Can the offspring have good IV's even if the parent doesn't?
Yes, in fact, people always start with the crappiest parents.

What's the best way to get a shiny from breeding?
trade a pokemon (preferrably Ditto, so you don't ask for another pokemon every time) from other Regions. There's a significantly higher chance (altho still rather small) to get a shiny when you breed a pokemon of your region with one from another.

edit: oh right, that Shiny Charm from Gen V is priceless.

Now, for IV breeding, X/Y have the easiest way around - thanks to Destiny Knot. It's also worthy to note that pokemon from Friend Safari have at least 2 perfect IVs. That said, you may want to find a Friend Safari with Ditto since they are compatible with any pokemon. With perfect-IV Dittos, you can pass down his IVs to any pokemon (well, most) rather easily. It's a repetitive process; and in the end, it all depends on luck.

I can't explain everything without sounding confusing; and many others have created much better breeding guides (such as this one) which are easy to understand and straight to the point. But if there's anything you don't understand from the guides out there, feel free to ask them here.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I would say go for ideal or second best nature, even if just on Wifi battles. EV training isn't hard either, it usually doesn't take more than a few hours. IV breeding, however, will take awhile especially when you're seeking that one good nature. So.. If you don't want to put the work into it, it's not needed for Wifi battling. It would just give you a nice boost.

Years
Has anyone here ever played any of the Pokemon Ranger Games?

Hay everyone i've been wanting to play the 2 PokePark games for a long time, i was wondering what is the gameplay like?? is it a platformer? minigames? battles??? or all of these?? And are the games good? :)

To answer your question, I've personally never played them, but I have seen other people play it on YouTube, and the gameplay is pretty much all three of those, but the controls for battles are a bit different from a regular Pokemon Game.

For example, in the main Pokemon games you get to choose a move, but in the PokePark games, you have to press a certain button on the Wii Remote. (Example: in PokePark 2, the move ThunderShock is used by aiming at the Pokemon your using it on, and holding the 2 button and releasing it once it looks like its charged, but in PokePark 1 its either the -/+/1 button, I can't remember.)

You also have to do a bit of platforming, but not much. (Mostly in PokePark 2)

For the minigames, you have an explanation of the kind of minigame it is, the goal of it, and the controls.

The Games are overall really fun to watch and play, but if you were to rate it on the story, go for PokePark 2, because 1's story isn't really that interesting, but 2's is really awesome.

I hope this answered most, if not all, of your questions!

-Pika1995

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 26, 2013
I am about to start pokemon breeding, and I have decided to start with breeding Fennekin. At what level should I put the Delphox into the day care, or does it not matter?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I am about to start pokemon breeding, and I have decided to start with breeding Fennekin. At what level should I put the Delphox into the day care, or does it not matter?
It doesn't matter, just put it in there and wait for an egg. :D

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Has anyone here ever played any of the Pokemon Ranger Games?

I've finished Almia but not Guardian Signs due to an unfortunate incident with the DS.
I've also stopped playing the first because I got tired of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back