• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TCG Challenge

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
150px-JPCardback.jpg

TCG Challenge

Hey everyone! Welcome to the TCG Challenge! The purpose of this challenge is to incorporate the Pokemon trading card game into your actual games. There are multiple ways to do this that will be listed in the rules, as well as the modes! That's right, there are three different modes to choose from when you sign up. So let's get to the modes first, then the rules!

20px-Grass-attack.png
20px-Fire-attack.png
20px-Water-attack.png

30px-SetSymbolJungle.png
Modes

There are three different modes you are able to play for this, and the rules may sometimes vary depending on which you choose, though there aren't too many major differences. Pick your poison, really!
Booster Pack
In this mode, you use Pokemon you get from a booster pack. This pack needs to be opened recently. No "I got these exact cards in a pack in 2004" or something. If you get repeat Pokemon, you may use duplicates. Evolving is allowed, even if you don't pull the evolution (ex. pulling Swadloon, but not Leavanny, you can still use Leavanny). Online boosters are welcome as well. It is encouraged that you post a picture of the cards from the pack you pulled! Please use spoilers though!
Theme Deck
In this mode, you choose Pokemon from a certain theme deck. There is a list of theme decks here! Only major theme decks will be allowed. No special decks, such as the championship decks.
Set
In this mode, you choose Pokemon from an entire set of Pokemon cards. Here is a list of TCG sets. You can pick from any set, even the ones that only have 20 Pokemon.

30px-SetSymbolFossil.png
Rules

1. Evolving is allowed, even if the evolved form is not in your pack/deck/set. However, if you pick an older set and choose a Pokemon that got an evolution later on, you may not evolve it into that Pokemon. If you pick a Pokemon from a deck/set and there are split evos, like Eevee, and a certain evolution is not in that deck/set, you cannot use that evolved form. ex. There is Umbreon and Espeon in Neo Discovery, but not the original three, therefore you could only use Umbreon or Espeon, not Flareon, Jolteon, or Vaporeon.
2. Legendaries are allowed if they are pulled from a booster pack regardless of how many. We want to honor your luck! Legendaries in theme decks are allowed, however only one. Legendaries from a set are not allowed as if you're playing the Set mode, you have much more free reign to pick what you want than the other two mods.
3. HM slaves are allowed, regardless of mode.
4. Trading/hacking is allowed, but please refrain if you're able to get that Pokemon on your team through catching it in the wild.
5. Challenge ends after Rival (RBY/FRLG), Red (GSC/HGSS), Steven (RSE), Cynthia (DPPt), Ghetsis (BW), or Iris (BW2).

30px-SetSymbolNeo_Genesis.png
Optional Rules

1. Play with what you get. If you pull an NFE, it must stay NFE, or if the NFE is in the deck/set, but not the evo, you can't evolve it. ex. Pulling a Houndour, but not Houndoom. You leave it as Houndour.
2. Incorporate Trainer and Supporter cards. This will be to your own discretion, but if you can't think of anything to do for it and want to have this rule, let me know and I'll come up with something. The effect it has on your game must be relevant to either the name of the card or the effect it has. ex. The Bicycle trainer card could mean you must always ride your bike after you obtain it.
3. If the card has a move that is an actual in-game move, use it. ex. A Jolteon card has Thundershock, so you'd have to have your Jolteon know Thundershock.

I understand a lot of this may be confusing, and it's different from previous TCG challenges we've had, so please do not hesitate to ask me any questions! If you need a quicker response, please VM me about it. :)

30px-SetSymbolPlasma_Storm.png

Username: Sydian
Game: White 2
Mode: Theme Deck
Set: Skyridge
Deck: Eeveelution
Optional Rules: #2

Note: You only need to include deck if you're playing Theme Deck mode. :)

Collectors
Spoiler:

Battlers
Spoiler:

Completionists
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Username: [Supporter]NecrumWarrior[/Supporter]
Game: Black 2
Mode: Booster Pack
Set: Noble Victories
Optional Rules: #2 & 3
Cards:
Spoiler:

Available Pokemon:
-Beheeyem x2
-Cofagrigus
-Volcarona
-Audino
-Crustle
-Golurk
-Mienshao
-Landorus

Rocky Helmet Rule:
I can trade in a Rocky Helmet, and may choose a single Pokemon to attach it to. That Pokemon must never stop holding the item for the rest of the game.

This should be fun! I finally get to use one of my lvl 5 Dream Radar Landorus!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's a perfect example of how to incorporate Trainer cards, Necrum. :) I didn't want to clutter the first post too much, so here's the team and trainer/supporters I'll be using:

136.gif
135.gif
134.gif
217.gif
059.gif
131.gif

Bill's Maintenance: Must always switch Pokemon during trainer battles (unless unable)

Potion: Always buy 5 Potions upon arriving to a new town (or buy as many I can if money is low)

Fast Ball: If I run into a Pokemon I want/need to catch, I must throw a Pokeball on the first turn (I wish there were Fast Balls in the game, but eh)

Town Volunteers: Always have at least 5 different Pokemon in party

Fisherman is also in this deck, but I can't think of a way to incorporate it into the challenge, especially since the Fishing Rod is in postgame, but hey, I have plenty to work with already so missing one isn't that bad. Also, I'm trying to finish my Black 2 today or tonight so that I can send over challenge mode for when I restart White 2. Hopefully I can have an update for this challenge some time tomorrow. Also need to get a Teddiursa egg ready to go over to White 2.

Last edited:

Dr. Slavic

Last of the Wailords
Years
I want in on this action, m'kay?

Username: Dr. Slavic
Game: Red
Set: Base Set
Deck: Blackout

Spr_1b_009.png
Spr_1b_028.png
Spr_1b_083.png
Spr_1b_095.png
Spr_1b_107.png
Spr_1b_121.png

There's my team, and I'll start posting updates soon.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Okay, so I started off by grabbing Landorus off Dream Radar. As luck had it, I was already far enough to catch one. Oh, I also turned on Challenge Mode using my AR. The beginning was extremely easy with Landorus. Cheren was a piece of cake. So now I can catch an Audino, since you have to have one badge for shaking spots to appear.

Team:
Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
049.gif

Ace Trainer Ridge
White 2
Eeveelution (Skyridge)
50px-Basic_Badge.png
50px-Toxic_Badge.png
50px-Insect_Badge.png

058.gif

Brushfire lv. 25 @ Leftovers
Intimidate | Serious
[ Flame Wheel, Fire Fang, Reversal, Return ]

133.gif

Frost Ray lv. 23 @ Amulet Coin
Adaptability | Timid
[ Covet, Return, Bite, Quick Attack ]

133.gif

Trouble lv. 21 @ Exp Share
Run Away | Quirky
[ Return, Work Up, Quick Attack, Bite ]

133.gif

Necrum lv. 21 @ Scope Lens
Run Away | Jolly
[ Sand-Attack, Return, Covet, Bite ]

499.png
180.png

We started our journey. I named myself Ridge after the set that this deck is from, Sykridge. My rival is Aqua, named after another e-series set, Aquapolis. Started with Tepig, who I did not name cause I couldn't think of anything. We did all the beginning of the game stuff. Because Town Volunteers requires that I have at least five different Pokemon with me at all times, I caught some Pokemon during the beginning. After I got my first badge, I made my way to Virbank to get my first real party member, Brushfire the Growlithe, named after a Base Set theme deck. I sent over the key for challenge mode and activated it after that. I beat Roxie with relative ease and went to make a movie that I didn't bother watching. Took us a long time, but we caught three Eevee in the next town, Castelia. They're named Frost Ray, Trouble, and Necrum. We got our third badge with a bit of difficulty. Now to move on and get some of these Eevee evolved.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
I've gotten nowhere so far. Selected Snivy as a starter and now getting ready to fight Cheren. Need to level up a few more times first. My eggs are ready to be traded over from W2 but I don't remember when I get the C-Gear or the trading places on the upper level unlocked. Heh!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You have to beat Cheren for C-Gear and the upper level to be unlocked for trading. So yeah. :)

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Decided to add a rule:
Battles are set to Set Mode. Ups the challenge, doncha think? ;)

Anyhoo, finally defeated what-his-name and hatching eggs now. Doing it without flame body is aggravating but oh well. There's stuff to be read.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
049.gif

Ace Trainer Ridge
White 2
Eeveelution (Skyridge)
50px-Basic_Badge.png
50px-Toxic_Badge.png
50px-Insect_Badge.png
50px-Bolt_Badge.png

058.gif

Brushfire lv. 36 @ Eviolite
Intimidate | Serious
[ Flamethrower, Fire Fang, Retaliate, Return ]

135.gif

Frost Ray lv. 35 @ Amulet Coin
Volt Absorb | Timid
[ Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, Echoed Voice, Dig ]

134.gif

Trouble lv. 35 @ Leftovers
Water Absorb | Quirky
[ Return, Dig, Aqua Ring, Bite ]

136.gif

Necrum lv. 36 @ Scope Lens
Flash Fire | Jolly
[ Return, Bite, Fire Fang, Sand-Attack ]

628.png
572.png

Challenge Mode is proving itself rough. After having a hard time with the third gym and the route that came after, I decided it was time to get serious about what would come ahead. I grinded up ten levels just for the next gym, putting everyone at 35. We sailed through Elesa's gym with no problems and no knock outs for our team. Hard work pays off! I've decided to trade in a Teddiursa egg soon before I head off to the next town, especially since I don't think Vaporeon has any STAB moves coming his way any time soon. The next gym is gonna be pretty rocky. No pun intended.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Username: TwilightBlade
Game: White 2
Set: Boundaries Crossed
Deck: Cold Fire

Planned team:
Samurott
Keldeo
Camerupt
Delibird
Delcatty
Snorlax

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
ARRRGH I had a full update ready to post and hit the wrong button and it disappeared and ARRRGH suffice it to say, I defeated Burgh super easily and now am about to leave Castelia.

Adamant Hitmonlee Lv. 20 Fake Out|Tackle|Helping Hand|Foresight
Adamant Relicanth Lv. 20 Tackle|Harden|Rock Tomb|Water Gun
Adamant Snubbull Lv. 21 Headbutt|Bite|Scary Face|Charm
Modest Quilava Lv. 25 Ember|Quick Attack|SmokeScreen|Flame Wheel

Years
This looks like a cool new challenge for me to do (I've done Nuzlockes, Solos, and Monotypes a LOT), so sign me up.

Username: edwardo999
Game: Red
Set: Base Set
Deck: 2-Player Starter Set (It's in the list of Theme Decks. So why not? *shrugs*
Optional Rules: #1, #2, #3 (And my own #4 and #5)
#4 - Allowed all evolutions that appear in the deck. Since Machop, Machoke and Machamp are all in the deck, I am allowed 3 Machops, as long as 2 evolve into Machokes, and only 1 becomes a Machamp. I am not allowed to evolve all 3 into Machamps.
#5 - Allowed all Pokémon from deck in PC and can swap between them. Helps for some of the Trainer cards.

Bill - Have at least two Pokémon in the party at all times.
Energy Removal + Energy Retrieval - After each Gym, I must swap one valid Pokémon in my party for one valid Pokémon in a PC Box (They cannot be the same Pokémon. Only if available.)
Gust of Wind - I must run from all Wild Flying-type Pokémon (They blow me away with a "Gust of Wind")
Pokédex - Only allowed a team of 5 maximum.
Potion - I must buy 2 potions (since there are 2 in the deck) every time I visit a new town/city (If I have the money)
Switch - I must swap out my Pokémon when asked by the game.

Since the Dratini card has the move Pound, yet in-game, Dratini does not learn this, am I allowed to hack it so Dratini learns Pound?
Also, can I hack it so I can actually get a Machamp? I'm emulating it, and cannot trade. :/

Anyways, my HOPEFUL party for the E4 (Swapping with PC may change it...):
Charmeleon
Diglett
Machamp
Machoke
Growlithe

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You may hack in Machamp, but you don't need to hack in Pound for Dratini. I should have added that if the Pokemon has that move on their card, but doesn't learn it or it doesn't exist, it doesn't have to know it.

Years
Thank you for answering my questions.
I also have the first bit of progress!
Quite a lot has been done. I am using the speed button on the emulator. xD​

Called myself TCG, and my rival GCT, just because I couldn't be bothered to think of proper names. xD
Chose Charmander as my starter, obviously, and called him Burnsy.
Caught myself a level 3 Rattata in Route 1, called him Ratty.
Trained both my Pokémon up to level 9 and took on my rival in Route 22. Defeated him relatively easily.
Got to Pewter City with a level 14 Burnsy, and a level 12 Ratty.
Faced Brock. Burnsy took down his Geodude. Ratty fainted against Onix, so Burnsy finished him off and became lvl 15, and I obtained the BoulderBadge.
Continued on through Route 3, Mt. Moon, and got to Cerulean with a level 19 Burnsy (now a Charmeleon) and a level 16 Ratty. Bought 2 Potions, as per rulings. Fought Rival and won. Went through Nugget Bridge, and Route 25, to see Bill.
Faced off against Misty with a level 25 Burnsy, and a level 21 Ratty (Still a Rattata).
Rattata was defeating Staryu easily enough, but both my Pokémon kept fainting against Starmie. Ratty gained 2 levels just from beating Staryu again, and again, and again. xD
Eventually, level 23 Ratty was able to finish off Starmie after Burnsy fainted, and I managed to obtain the CascadeBadge.
Went through the underground tunnel and arrived in Vermillion City. Healed up and bought 2 Super Potions, as my rules state..
Just about to head off to Diglett's Cave to try and catch my next party member.

PARTY

Rattata lvl 24, Ratty
Tackle
Tail Whip
Quick Attack
Hyper Fang​

Charmeleon lvl 26, Burnsy
Scratch
Rage
Ember
Leer​

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Black 2: Noble Victories Booster
2/8

So I skipped a lot of battles to go catch Audino in Virbank Complex, because I didn't feel like raising a lvl 4 Audino. Sadly, PGL has been down all day or I would have grabbed Gollett off there. Still probably will tonight. Grinded a couple of levels on my Audino, which I named Luke (shout out to my favorite ex-Smod). Ceared out all the trainers on route 20 and Virbank Complex, then went to challenge Roxie. Roxie wasn't too difficult despite being on Challenge mode. Probably a result of me using a legendary Pokemon.

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
I have practically been playing Pokémon Red all day (and through the night, until this early hour of the morning). Thank to the emulator's speed-up button, I am nearly finished. xD

Picking up from where we left off, I went into Diglett's Cave and caught a level 19 Diglett. I called him Sonic.
I went through the SS Anne, easily defeating my rival, and trained a little bit until I felt ready to face the next Gym Leader.
I fought Lt. Surge with a level 24 Sonic, level 26 Ratty, and level 29 Burnsy. It was a breeze, and I swiftly obtained the ThunderBadge.
I proceeded back to Cerulean, and prepared for a long trek through Rock Tunnel. Blind. I had not caught 10 Pokémon, and I wasn't about too go catching random ones just so I could get HM05.
I made it through Rock Tunnel after what seemed like forever, just remembering to catch a level 17 Machop, whom I called Monk, just before I found the exit.
I bought the Potions from Lavender Town, defeated my Rival within the Pokémon Tower, and headed East, towards Celadon.
After I made it through the underground passage, I caught a level 21 Growlithe in Route 7, which I called Flame.
I now had my party of 5.
In Celadon, I promptly bought the Potions from the Dept. Store, and then bought 2350 coins from the Game Corner. (It was as much as I could afford)
After training my weaker Pokémon, I decided to face Erika with a party of a level 36 Burnsy, a level 31 Ratty, a level 30 Sonic, a level 28 Monk, and a level 24 Flame.
Erika held no challenge for my Pokémon, and I received the RainbowBadge for my triumph.
I went back to the Game Corner and proceeded to foil Team Rocket, making them scurry from Celadon.
Afterwards, I bought more coins until I had 2800. I then spent them on a Dratini from the Prize Corner, and called her Spira. (I then went to the PokéCenter and boxed her)
I backtracked to Lavender Town, climbed Pokémon Tower, put Marowak's soul at ease, and obtained the PokéFlute.
I proceeded onto Saffron City, easily defeating the Fighting Dojo (but not taking a Pokémon) and went into Silph. Co.
After half an hour or so of those damn teleports, I managed to make it to the top of Silph. Co, defeated my rival, defeated Giovanni, and once again foiled Team Rocket's plans.
I continued on with my training, and eventually faced Sabrina with a team of a level 45 Burnsy, a level 39 Ratty, a level 39 Sonic, a level 39 Monk (Now a Machoke), and a level 36 Flame.
Sabrina fell, and I obtained the MarshBadge.
I went to the PokéCenter, and swapped out my now level 37 Flame, for me level 18 Spira, as per my rules.
After cycling down to Fuschia, I found the Warden's fake teeth, and obtained both HM03, and HM04.
I then found out that Spira could learn Surf, and was slightly disappointed that she would have to stay on the team for a while.
I massively trained up my Dratini, as well as training my other Pokémon, so it wouldn't be as weak.
I faced Koga with a team consisting of a level 47 Burnsy, a level 42 Ratty, a level 41 Sonic, a level 39 Monk, and a level 31 Spira.
After defeating Koga, I boxed my level 39 Monk, and retrieved my level 37 Flame.
Due to not having a Flying Pokémon, I cycled back to Wermillion City, went through Diglett's Cave, and backtracked all the way to Pallet Town, where I surfed down to Cinnibar Island.
Once I reached Cinnibar Island, I bought the Potions, and ventured into the Pokémon Mansion.
Almost immediately, I ran into a level 34 Ponyta, which I caught and nicknamed Apples.
I went to place Apples in the PC before venturing any further.
I trained in the Mansion, got the Key for the Gym, and went to face the Gym Trainers as more training for my weaker Pokémon.
I faced Blaine, my team containing a level 48 Burnsy, a level 44 Ratty, a level 43 Sonic, a level 39 Flame, and a level 36 Spira.
After defeating Blaine, I boxed my level 39 Flame, and retrieved my new level 34 Apples.
I then surfed back to Pallet Town, and am currently on my way to Viridian City, to face the final Gym Leader.​

PARTY
Charmeleon lvl 48, Burnsy
Slash
Rage
Flamethrower
Cut

Rattata lvl 44, Ratty
Tackle
Super Fang
Quick Attack
Hyper Fang

Diglett lvl 43, Sonic
Scratch
Slash
Dig
Earthquake

Dratini lvl 37, Spira
Wrap
Surf
Thunder Wave
Slam

Ponyta lvl 34, Apples
Ember
Tail Whip
Stomp

PC BOX
Machoke lvl 40, Monk
Growlithe lvl 39, Flame

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
049.gif

Ace Trainer Ridge
White 2
Eeveelution (Skyridge)
50px-Basic_Badge.png
50px-Toxic_Badge.png
50px-Insect_Badge.png
50px-Bolt_Badge.png
50px-Quake_Badge.png

058.gif

Brushfire lv. 37 @ Eviolite
Intimidate | Serious
[ Flamethrower, Fire Fang, Retaliate, Return ]

135.gif

Frost Ray lv. 37 @ Amulet Coin
Volt Absorb | Timid
[ Thunder Wave, Discharge, Echoed Voice, Dig ]

134.gif

Trouble lv. 37 @ Leftovers
Water Absorb | Quirky
[ Muddy Water, Dig, Aqua Ring, Bite ]

136.gif

Necrum lv. 37 @ Scope Lens
Flash Fire | Jolly
[ Return, Bite, Fire Fang, Sand-Attack ]

217.gif

Recon lv. 37 @ BrightPowder
Guts | Lonely
[ Slash, Rock Tomb, Ice Punch, Faint Attack ]

628.png

[supporter]NecrumWarrior[/supporter] traded me Recon the Teddiursa after I defeated Elesa. Didn't take long for him to catch up and become a great asset to the team. It's nice to have something that doesn't share a Ground weakness btw, lol. Grinded everyone up to level 37 so that Frost Ray and Trouble could get good STAB moves, and Trouble's Muddy Water definitely came in handy, along with Recon's Ice Punch. The grinding was definitely worth it in that regard. Clay was the easiest gym leader I've faced so far. Moving on to PWT next time I play.

Years
MASSIVE update from me.
I have turned my TCG Challenge into an Ultimate version. For anyone who does not know what an Ultimate Challenge is, it is when you must complete the same challenge on one game set in each region. 1 Kanto game, I Johto game, etc.

Pokémon Red Update:
I managed to beat Giovanni, as the final Gym Leader, with a level 34 Apples, a level 38 Spira, a level 44 Sonic, a level 45 Ratty. and a level 48 Burnsy.
After defeating Giovanni, I boxed Apples, and brought out my level 40 Monk.
I easily defeated my Rival in Route 22, and continued on to Victory Road.
Once in Victory Road, I temporarily ignored my goal, to find and kill Moltres, both for the Exp, and for fun.
Upon reaching the Elite Four, my party's levels were: 54 (Burnsy), 48 (Ratty), 47 (Sonic), 41 (Monk + Spira)
As I was, I could not even beat Lorelei without using 2 or 3 Max Potions.
I continued to face Lorelei, and eventually got further and faced Bruno, and Agatha, without the intention of winning, but to train my Pokémon instead. Unfortunately, Burnsy was having to sweep them all on his own when the others fainted rather quickly.
Due to this, Burnsy quickly became overlevelled, while my other Pokémon were falling behind.
However, this gave me an idea for my final strategy.
When I believed I was ready, I bought 5 Revives, and 4 Max Potions.
Facing Lorelei again, all of my Pokémon fainted, except Burnsy.
Burnsy managed to finish off Lorelei. He then managed to sweep Bruno, Agatha and Lance, only getting hurt twice.
Before facing my rival, I revived all of my party members, but left them all on half health.
I led the way with Burnsy, my overlevelled Charmeleon, and swift care of my rival's first Pokémon, only getting hurt by about 15 HP.
Due to the rules, I had to switch, so I switched to a Pokémon I did not care about, and used a Max Potion on Burnsy (I know it seems unnecessary, but this was my strategy. Need him at full health just in case)
When my Pokémon fainted, I swapped back to Burnsy and defeated the next one.
I continued this until I did not have any Max Potions left, and all that was left were 2 Pokémon of his, and 2 Pokémon of mine.
Burnsy quickly defeated the next Pokémon, however, my rival's last Pokémon was his most dangerous, Blastoise.
I didn't feel confident enough that my Charmeleon could defeated Blastoise without getting hit and defeated first.
I switched in Ratty, my only other Pokémon still alive, and used Super Fang on Blastoise, cutting his HP in half.
Now I was confident.
Ratty fainted, and I swiched back in my Burnsy, who finished off the Blastoise with a Slash.

Hall of Fame
Charmeleon lvl 84, Burnsy
Rattata lvl 51, Ratty
Diglett lvl 49, Sonic
Machoke lvl 49, Monk
Dratini lvl 45, Spira

Pokémon Gold Update:
Chose Cyndaquil as my starter, didn't nickname him.
Done story-related stuff until I received my first set of Pokéballs.
Hacked in a level 4 Charmander as a Wild Pokémon and caught it.
Released my Cyndaquil.

Continued onwards, and Charamander, now level 15, soloed Falkner.
Charmander evolved into Charmeleon after the battle.
Obtained the Egg.
Foiled Team Rocket's plan in Slowpoke Well.
Charmeleon, now level 23, soloed Bugsy with ease.
Caught a level 11 Rattata in Route 34.
The Egg hatched into a Togepi. I released it.
Defeated Whitney with a level 25 Charmeleon, and a level 17 Rattata.

Bought 1350 Game Corner coins.
Caught a level 14 Growlithe in Route 37.
Continued on, and defeated Morty with a level 28 Charmeleon, a level 24 Rattata, and a level 21 Growlithe.

Went back to Goldenrod, bought more Game Corner coins, and used them to buy a level 10 Dratini.
Continued onwards, and defeated Chuck with a level 34 Charmeleon, a level 31 Rattata, a level 24 Growlithe, and a level 22 Dratini.
Healed Ampharos at the lighthouse, so I could face Jasmine.
Defeated Jasmine with a level 34 Charmeleon, a level 32 Rattata, a level 24 Growlithe, and a level 23 Dratini.
Caught a level 14 Machop at Mount Mortar.

Foiled Team Rocket's plan in Mahogany Town.
Defeated Pryce with a level 35 Charmeleon, a level 33 Rattata, a level 26 Growlithe, a level 27 Dratini, and a level 26 Machop.
Foiled Team Rocket's plan in Goldenrod Radio Tower.
Made my way to Blackthorn City, fought Clair, and lost.
Trained a little and fought her again. Lost again. Repeatedly.
Trained a lot more, until I was confident I could beat her. Machop evolved while training.
Finally defeated Clair with a level 45 Charmeleon, a level 42 Rattata, a level 35 Dratini, a level 32 Machoke, and a level 31 Growlithe.

CURRENT PARTY:

Charmeleon lvl 46
Scratch
Flamethrower
Cut
Slash

Rattata lvl 42
Tackle
Super Fang
Quick Attack
Hyper Fang

Dratini lvl 36 (w/ Quick Claw)