• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How Does X/Y Compare W/ Other DS Pokemon Games?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
I have X. I still haven't played it because I'm spending time on HeartGold and Omega Ruby. How would you rate it compared to HG/SS/OR/AS/D/P/PL./B/W/B2/W2? Is it the best? So far, I think I like PL. more than HG version, but OR more than both of them. I think it comes down to the graphics, extensive amount of Pokemon you can get, and my deep-seated love for the Hoenn region. Anyways, where would you put X and Y on the list of best Pokemon games?

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
Years
Dude, Pokemon X and Y is by far my favorite. Of course, it's most praised aspect is the ability to customize your character to look (somewhat at least) like you. It gives you a feeling that you are actually in the Pokemon world going on a quest. The towns and cities are fun to explore, there's a wide variety of Pokemon throughout the region. You can even catch wild Rotoms in that abandoned hotel. There are plenty of mysterious and interesting places in the game. The best thing yet is that it's really easy to train Pokemon in the game. Those restaurants in Lumiose city(not the cafes), super training and the Battle Chateau are ideal places to train and level up your Pokemon!!! :)

Years
X & Y still has its flaws in the big picture.

While trainer customization, Fairy-type and Mega Evolution are godsends of new features, I still think Kalos is pale in comparison as far as a region goes. I personally loved both of the 5th Gen games better than X/Y due to all the thought that was put into Unova as a whole, and the soundtrack in X/Y doesn't sound good in comparison to that, plus there was so many throwbacks to 1st Gen in X/Y that I felt like it was a game meant to fanservice the Genwunners and others who enjoyed Kanto.

I did enjoy X/Y when I played it, but still it's not really at the top of how I'd rank the Pokemon games by quality. This is how I personally would rank them:

B2W2 > BW > ORAS > XY > Platinum > HGSS > Emerald > RS > DP > FRLG > RBY

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
The whole plot feels incomplete, it's an another thing if that was done on purpose or not hahaha.

While the plot is mediocre, the scenery is actually great.

As Jess said, the Kalos region is abundant with different Pokémon, so diversity is not a problem when battling or forming a team!

Gen VI games, along the Hoenn remakes aren't the best of the best for me. The post game contents are disappointing. But it wouldn't hurt to try XY if you really love Pokémon!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018

While trainer customization, Fairy-type and Mega Evolution are godsends of new features, I still think Kalos is pale in comparison as far as a region goes. I personally loved both of the 5th Gen games better than X/Y due to all the thought that was put into Unova as a whole, and the soundtrack in X/Y doesn't sound good in comparison to that, plus there was so many throwbacks to 1st Gen in X/Y that I felt like it was a game meant to fanservice the Genwunners and others who enjoyed Kanto.

I did enjoy X/Y when I played it, but still it's not really at the top of how I'd rank the Pokemon games by quality. This is how I personally would rank them:

I need to play Black/White soon, I stopped after Platinum came out, so I'm catching up w/ all the titles. You hold Black/White pretty high?

Dude, Pokemon X and Y is by far my favorite. Of course, it's most praised aspect is the ability to customize your character to look (somewhat at least) like you. It gives you a feeling that you are actually in the Pokemon world going on a quest. The towns and cities are fun to explore, there's a wide variety of Pokemon throughout the region. You can even catch wild Rotoms in that abandoned hotel. There are plenty of mysterious and interesting places in the game. The best thing yet is that it's really easy to train Pokemon in the game. Those restaurants in Lumiose city(not the cafes), super training and the Battle Chateau are ideal places to train and level up your Pokemon!!! :)

Thanks for your input:) I think I'm gonna start playing this weekend. The player customization is something cool and new. A lot of the Kalos region Pokemon look ugly but it's still Pokemon and the concept hasn't changed.

The whole plot feels incomplete, it's an another thing if that was done on purpose or not hahaha.

While the plot is mediocre, the scenery is actually great.

As Jess said, the Kalos region is abundant with different Pokémon, so diversity is not a problem when battling or forming a team!

Gen VI games, along the Hoenn remakes aren't the best of the best for me. The post game contents are disappointing. But it wouldn't hurt to try XY if you really love Pokémon!

I guess it's a good thing I don't really play these games for the plot. When I played through Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, I enjoyed the story, but it's not like I play these games expecting their story to be like the first Bioshock game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sun

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Difference between other pokemon games than XY is it's PSS (Player search system) which you can communicate/battle/trade with other pokemon fans from over the world, there's Super training, but it may go down the drain until you reach a monotonous levels
Player customization, mega evolution and amie is what makes it bit different than your average main series and several type like steel no longer resist dark/ghost making your metagross just as weak to it

Story is just not so good, you'll find the league and gym leader is a cake walk than other trainers found while traveling or the gym trainers cuz they won't be so pushy though

Reactions: Sun

Humzini

Banned
Years
  • Age 23
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 2, 2015
It has the best (and only0 character customization, has the most innovative lot and the game is also fun.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
Years

I agree with you that the Unova region is much more fun to explore! Especially in B2W2. B2W2 is one of my faves. It drastically improved from BW.

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
Years
Maybe it is just me, but I liked the Kalos storyline the best and so XY is definitely my favourite game by far. Being a history student, the implications of the ultimate weapon (*coughWWIIcough*) struck really hard for me, and I found myself drawn into the fight against Team Flare more than any other organization (Team Plasma is a close second though).

Other than that, adore the customization, love Pokemon-Amie^_^, love the photo taking all over the entire region, love rollerskating (can't get used to walking in AS now), love the music, love the rivals/fab four, and love love love Professor Sycamore!♥

If I were to rank the games I've played so far:
XY > BW > ORAS > Pt > B2W2 > RBY > HGSS (I only have the Jap version and dangit but the language is a killer)

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
Years
  • Age 35
  • Ohio
  • Seen Nov 17, 2015
Well there's a few things to consider here. For me, X/Y did a lot of things right, and honestly better than anything before it, but... I can't really think of any way they beat OR/AS outside of trainer customization which IS a feature I will deeply, deeply miss. The only way I'd say X/Y possibly beats OR/AS other than that is the variety of Pokemon you can capture in the wild. X/Y does it... possibly the best of any game in the series. Right away, in the very first patches of grass, you can already catch probably four or five different Pokemon... both old and new. It really makes you feel like you've got a lot of variety in what you can raise and makes it a lot of fun... most of the time. Unfortunately, Kalos kind of suffers from strange pacing issues here and there, sort of like Sinnoh did, and with the extensive variety of old and new Pokemon available, you will feel a little restricted on which Gen VI pokemon you can raise since there's so few of them. So while Kalos did an amazing job of giving us wild variety... it makes it even more obvious just how few new Mons we got. You'll constantly be encountering stuff you're all-too familiar with, wishing you could see more stuff.

Sadly, if you've played Omega Ruby... that COULD hurt your experience in Kalos a bit. The story is pretty universally 'meh', the gym leaders basically play NO role in the plot so they're just an obstacle, and if you've already had the chance to use Gen VI Pokemon in a different game then a huge part of what makes Kalos special will be lost. It is cool rollerblading around everywhere, and the trainer customization system IS something I'd consider worthy of playing the game for... but the game is definitely not perfect. It's also notoriously easy, even for a Pokemon game. Part of that is due to the changes to Exp.Share (which is now Exp.All), but a lot of it is just the Pokemon the trainers use and how... few they use. The second gym leader only uses two, and they're both extremely weak.

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
Years
Although I really liked X/Y, I felt like there was such a huge lack of post-game content. Sure, it took a really really long time to complete the game (let alone getting to the first and second gym leaders), but one it was done, all that there was to do was battle in the Battle Chateau and complete the Pokedex. There's nothing wrong with that, but after B2W2's huge amount, I got bored quickly.

That doesn't mean it's a bad game though. It's in 3D for Pete's sake. The customisation was AMAZING and something I'd been waiting for for years. It's a shame they removed it in OR/AS, it really is. Things like Pokemon Amie and more overworld Pokemon allowed me to feel closer to them than I'd ever felt before, more like they were actual living creatures (I'll never get over the pain it causes me to defeat them in battle, though). I loved skating. I already miss the roller skates in OR. Completing the Pokedex was also a lot of fun. It was really great seeing hundreds of Pokemon in Kalos. It made it feel more diverse and alive. It took ages to complete, but just finishing the Kalos Pokedex brings a huge feeling of accomplishment.

It was considerably easier to complete than previous games, though. I really would have liked a difficulty setting like there are in many of Atlus' games. This one felt more geared for children, and I could tell, as I got through the League with my main Pokemon never fainting once. I miss the difficulty of Pokemon. It hasn't gotten any better in OR/AS, though, in fact, it seems to be worse. I hope that if there is a sequel, they either amp up the difficulty or make a setting. I know that when I was a kid, I never had trouble with Pokemon. And if you do, just run around and fight trainers. That's what I did when I was a kid, and I ended up leveling my cousin's Swampert and Sceptile to 100. But I digress.

I think X/Y have a lot of better qualities than other games, but they fall short on some. But I suppose not everyone can think something is perfect, as we all have our own opinions.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Although I did not notice this during my first play-through (as I was distracted by other things), its plot seemed to have been rushed, which makes it sort of tough to engage into the game. If they were make it more long-lasting and detailed, I don't believe this would have been an issue. In terms of features, though, X and Y definitely stand out; these two titles have introduced a lot of new things to us.

Back