• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Battle System-RM2k...

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2006
Erm...does anyone know how to make the same battle system as pokemon ruby and sapphire in RM2k? Or could you post the script? That would be very appreciated and i will put you in my credits!

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
Years
There is no way to make one as of now, However you can make your own unique battle system by using a regular map and pokemon sprites and a Commands menu (Show Choice). It takes time but it's the closest thing we have to a pokemon battle system. I hope this was helpful to you.

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2006
Sorry i didn't know that! And dizzy thats for the info! I'll try it!

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Actually...

Actually dizzy, a "real" pkmn battle system is realistically concievable. It just depends on how much work you want to put in it. It wouldn't be too far off from combining a well-thought-out CMS with a CBS relying on pictures and their movements. All the rest is simple CBS coding.

That said, there is no real code I could give you... you just need to acumulate pictures of ALL the pokemon, make a lot of events and common events to govern the pictures movement. Here's an example, not in RM2K code, but in simple words.

Teleport to battle map, making sure battle map is all blank background. Give it a paralax background in Map Properties of the environment, not auto-panning

In an auto-start event on the map, change paralax background to panning right with a speed of, say, three.

Show a picture of the trainer at the bottom and the pokemon on top, opposite sides of the screen. Move the pictues towards eachother pkmn style so trainer is on the left, pkmn on the right. Show the picture at the bottom "Wild X Appeared" (has to be a pictue because we are dealing with a complex CMS)

Hopefully, you get the idea. It's just a hassel working with all those pictues!

Good luck!
-DM31

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2006
Thanks DarkMage, I tried it, but for some reason the pictures dont show up on the correct spot. ANd i have a question...how will i do the damage?

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years

pichaque said:
Thanks DarkMage, I tried it, but for some reason the pictures dont show up on the correct spot. ANd i have a question...how will i do the damage?

Yes, yes, yes. Pictures are a pain in the ***. The reason is the locations are screen-relative, not map relative. With a map of 15x20, you can have locations for pictures in the five hundreds (ex: 20x350). Also, the Y axis in inverted, so if you add one to Y, it goes down relative to your screen. The X axis is still left to right though. The only way to get precise location is guess and check. As soon as you get the coordinates right, though, just reuse them for all the other pictures. If the enemy location is (5,7)(which it isn't) just use that locale for each enemy pokemon picture.

Damage is relatively easy. You need a variable representing the damage and a formula to calculate the damage. This should include your pkmn's attack, the enemies defense, and a bit of randomness. Start be making a conditional branch stating IF Pikachu (or someone else) is level 30 or above. Under that, Variable Operations and make a new variable called Damage Range. Set it to a random number between the range of, say, 30-50. That's about how much damage will be dealt.

The formula I use is your attack divided by two (halved) added to the Damage Range variable. Then the enemies defense is divided by four and subtracted from Damage Range. Attack+(30to50)-(Defense/4)= Damage dealt.
To do that, make a variable for Pikachu's attack (set in the database under heros) and a variable for enemy's defense. Take Attack and click Divide in the next field, and under Operand select Set and 2. Repeat the process and it should look like this:

<>FORK Conditions: Pikachu level is at least 30
Variable Operations:[0001:Damage Range]Set,30-50
Variable Operations:[0002:Ally Attack]Set, Pikachu Attack
Variable Operations:[0002:Ally Attack] /, 2
Variable Operations:[0001:Damage Range]+v[0002]
Variable Operations:[0003:Enemy defense]Set,20
Variable Operations:[0003:Enemy defense] /,4
Variable Operations:[0001:Damage Range]-v[0003]
:Else Case
Fork Conditions: Pikachu level is at least 15
yadayadayada

Good luck with the pictures' placement. I hope your damage question was answered.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Woopse, : + D = :D
One more thing: To check if your opponent fainted, have a variable for your opponents health

<>Variable Operations:[0004:Enemy HP]Set,50

Then subtract Damage Range from Enemy HP

<>Variable Operations:[0004:Enemy HP]-v[0001]

Finally, the check.

<>FORK Conditions: Variable [0004] is 0 or less
<>Message: Enemy X has fainted!

Then do what ever you want. When my game's demo gets released with a slightly different (side view) CBS, you can see the coding. the only difference between the "real" one and my altered-graphic side-view look is exactly that: graphics. The coding is exactly the same. Any more questions?

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2006
Just one more question...where on the map would i post that event? or is it a common event?

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
pichaque: It depends on how you want to do it. What I do is I have a different map for each battle. Here's what my map hierarchy looks like:

Systems
-Menue
-Items
-Pkmn
-Battle
-Route 1 Battle
-Trainer
-Youngster LiLi
-Wild
-Pikachu
-Vulpix
Game
-First Town

etc. So, on the battle map I would have that all on a regular event, autostart. Be sure to use common events though. For your choices (Fight, Pack, Pkmn, Run) in battle, I have a common event handling each. That's where I put my damage calculations. It's most likely hard to understand reading this, but maybe I'll send you an early release of my game so you can see the coding. I only have two pokemon done though, Pikachu and Umbreon, since Umbreon stars in my game and Pikachu is so famous ;)

Sharpedo: CBS's are easy once you master RM2K(3). The next step up from there is the game maker Sphere, which requires coding. I'm teaching it to myself right now. My manner of making CBS's? I prefer the side view battle system, which is what I'm putting in my pokemon game. I prefer not to work with overwhelming ammounts of pictures, which is what pichaque will end up doing if he wants to replicate the pkmn system. I've made lots of changes from this screen, this is just a sort of half-done shot, just to show my progress.

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2006
Thanks DarkMage! You have really been a big help with my rpg! You will get a big spot on the credits (game over thing). And yeh i will be working with a lot of pictures, but when my other computer is hooked up, i'll get 3gb worth of space!...well maybe a bit lower cuz of the rpgmaker, internet, and i guess all necessary programs...thanks!

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Wow! Thanks! Let me know if you run into any problems. I'll be there to help. Just reply to this thread; I have it subscribed so vBullitin will email me when someone replies. Good luck with the game!

PS: Be careful of the following scenarios:

A) A move like selfdestruct that may faint both pokemon
B) A move like Struggle that hits with recoil. That may apply to A as well.
That coding can get a bit more complex, so let me know if you need help with that too.

Last edited:
Back