• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Protagonist & Rival relationship.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Pardon me; obsessed with the rival! This is just an excuse to make a thread about him! yayaya!

I'm sure I don't need to say that for the first time in Pokémon, they had two rivals for the player (three if you count N, or two if you discount Bianca) with Black and White. Not only that, but Cheren and Bianca were childhood friends of yours and you guys started your first steps on your journey together! Y'all had a pretty nice thing going on back then. Certainly refreshing from the past rivals (Barry aside, I guess)...

What do you think the relationship the protagonist has with the rival will be like in the sequels? What do you think their personality is going to be like? Do you think they're going to have the opposite gender protagonist be part of the game as well, like they did in past generations?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
The rival is super cute! Judging by his look, I'm predicting he'll be a lot more mature than the previous rivals. He seems like the kind of guy who would be understanding to you as a close friend, but always looking to better himself to be a little bit ahead of you. As for personality, I picture the rival to be charming, clever and like I said, understanding. Perhaps he'd have a slick side to him. Maybe it's because of your avatar though...

I really hope the relationship between the rival and protagonist is close. Best friends, but far better than the friendship between you/Cheren/Bianca. I see future shippings of the female protag with this rival for some reason. Honestly, I SUPPORT IT.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
Years
I'm thinking that the rival is gonna be cocky, a bit like Gary / Green, since that's something that hasn't been done since Gen 3, with Silver. Though, Silver started out just mean, and I don't think the BW2 rival will be quite that bad. xD;

I don't think he'll start out friends with either of the two protags, though.

If only because they've done that with the last two generations.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
His key Phrase is "From now on, I'm going to Rage."

I see him as Power hungry and arrogant. Maybe not as abusive as Silver, but pretty close to Silver with a mix of Gary/Blue added in.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think he's going to be rude like the past rivals :( Just from how he looks I don't think he'll be necessarily friendly to the others. As for the other protagonist I'm pretty sure they will be involved, to kinda... get even with what B/W had, sorta. Kinda disappointing if so, I wanted a really nice rival!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I'm the only one to think he'll be charming. n___n Honestly, Nick your avatar is misleading my thoughts!

I want him to be mysteriously wicked. But still understanding and close to who you play as even though he has a hard way of showing it!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I think he's going to be rude like the past rivals :( Just from how he looks I don't think he'll be necessarily friendly to the others. As for the other protagonist I'm pretty sure they will be involved, to kinda... get even with what B/W had, sorta. Kinda disappointing if so, I wanted a really nice rival!
I'm kinda th opposite - give me a guy I'll like to hate and I'll be happy too, as long as the rival has an actual personality with a dash of character development. They can do 'nice rivals' fine imo (Biana/Cheren) and so too the not so nice guys imo (Silver/Gary). THat's the main thing I'm concerned with - he can be whatever he pleases as long as he's an interesting guy I'll enjoy beating up.

Guess it's a bit too early to think much of him based only on his look and not knowing the context of his quote there, beyond 'what hair stuff does he use?'. =p

Kano Shuuya

Years
I'm the only one to think he'll be charming. n___n Honestly, Nick your avatar is misleading my thoughts!

He's smiling in the bigger version of that fanart in Nick's icon, actually.
So maybe you're right. XD;

Although, that's a fanart, so.. I'm not sure what to make of him at this point.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Fanart also makes N deeply in love with Hilda but we don't see that happening. :P

It all goes down onto how the creators make the rival out to be. Should be a charming one. Just so charming.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Looks bold and cocky like Blue and Silver; since the series has started to add more depth to the storylines, he'll doubtless develop from that into a mature nakama. I also reckon he'll be someone the protagonist encounters during the story rather than already knows, given this presumed personality. In turn from these impressions I think it's probable that unless another rival is revealed, the unchosen protagonist character will make a significant appearance as a childhood friend, though I'd personally prefer a unique character for any NPC role.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm kinda th opposite - give me a guy I'll like to hate and I'll be happy too, as long as the rival has an actual personality with a dash of character development. They can do 'nice rivals' fine imo (Biana/Cheren) and so too the not so nice guys imo (Silver/Gary). THat's the main thing I'm concerned with - he can be whatever he pleases as long as he's an interesting guy I'll enjoy beating up.

Guess it's a bit too early to think much of him based only on his look and not knowing the context of his quote there, beyond 'what hair stuff does he use?'. =p

But that's boring, almost all of the rivals were hateable. I want more which aren't hateable. ;;

Overall though I hope it's not the same boring thing of "turn out to be bad and then eventually befriend". >__>; I want a new twist on that.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
Taking a look from his design. I think he will be rude and cocky. He probably lives in the same town as the Protag, because it looks like he is wearing a wetsuit under his clothing. It would also be nice to have a rude and cocky rival again. Cheren and Bianca were too friendly. And Barry, was just weird.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020

But that's boring, almost all of the rivals were hateable. I want more which aren't hateable. ;;

Overall though I hope it's not the same boring thing of "turn out to be bad and then eventually befriend". >__>; I want a new twist on that.
How is a nice rival going to make it less boring? Didn't Bianca/Cheren give enough of that? :P

I agree though on the last part. But I more want the rival to be in the middle of good and bad. Just because he seems so...wicked and charming (like I haven't said that before).

Kano Shuuya

Years
One of the site's I just read says that he was childhood friends with the protags, and then sort of took the wrong path.

That could be neat.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
It says on the trailer, according to Erica, that they're childhood friends.

n______________n

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh thank God, a relation to BW! ...sorta, and their childhood friends thing. Sadly though that means he's likely to be somewhat of a carbon copy of Cheren though at the end imo, or at least I feel like he will be. :(

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I hope his personality is so different from it. What I'm hoping his personality will be is a mixture of Barry and Gary. Some medium between the two.

http://serebii.net/black2white2/pics.shtml#

The rival and protagonist are together in most of these pictures. SQUEEEE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Again? This is not wildly exciting after the first BW where both rivals were your childhood friends. It would be more interesting if they did something new with him, like have you travel around together, but this isn't a typical JRPG so they wouldn't want to make dialogue the whole way. But seriously, I don't like the childhood friends thing because it's so unrealistic that you wouldn't travel with them. :(

*shrug* He sounds pretty generic from what Nick's shoved in my face to translate. :P

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
Honestly after hearing about the info that's been given about the rival I'm a bit disappointed.

In all honesty when I saw his artwork I was thinking they might have made the rival as a character who is slightly older than the protagonist and set out on his journey before you. In doing so he's reached great heights within the region and now you're trying to catch up to where he is.

I've probably read One Piece too many times but I was really hoping more of a older sibling type relationship from this rival than the set out on a journey at the same time and race to the top theme they had going for other rivals.

The protagonists just look so much younger compared to the others while the rival looks older than the protagonists.

Back