• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] ROM Hacking Newsletter 2008 | Issue 1 - 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Rom Hacking Newsletter
Issue 5 - Sunday, 29 September 2008
Introduction
Opening words

Argh, damn it! I was hoping to get it in before Monday but its 12:33 PM as I'm typing this. Lol, I just realized daylight savings started today, I made it! I've decided to keep the rating descriptions in all issues from now on for easy reference. For the time being they will be in the Hack News section. We've got our first ever actual report courtesy of Visual this issue so make sure you check that out.

This weeks interview turned into a sort of one sided debate which gave me an idea. How about having a debate via IM on things in the hacking community? I think it would be quite interesting. For example we could discuss the pros and cons of making teams/rom bases/tools etc. It'll be quite difficult to pull of I think. Please post your comments.
Article by dshayabusa

Hacking News
Staying current with the rom hacking scene

Production of Pokémon: Tree of Peace Slowed

Due to school being too hectic during the week, production has been slowed to weekends only on Tree of Peace. Kawaii, Inc. assures that he will continue to work on the hack at every available opportunity on such days.

Pokemon: The Dragon Lineage makes a comeback
Most people won't remember since the thread was closed a couple of days after making it but I have another hack in the works. The Dragon Lineage will be based around Lance and Claire. It is no longer set in Johto. It is completely different to the ideas I had before. If you want to see the first town take a look in the Map Rating Thread. I'll open the thread sometime this week.

Hack Rating System
RHN will follow a standardised rating system similar to that of IGN, ratings and their meanings are described below.
Spoiler:

HOTW Winner
Spotlight on the Hack of the Week

Pokémon Distant [Link]
Hack Author: Disturbed
Reviewed By: dshayabusa

Pokemon Distant is a hack by Disturbed aka Maraudah from the Map Rating Thread. This hacks main appeal is by far the mapping. Marudah is a great mapper but his maps seem to be hindered by his choice of tiles. Don't get me wrong, Don Patch's tiles look great but if you're going to use his tiles you have to adapt to them. It doesn't just mean new palletes you'd also need to develop a different style of mapping. If you look at the maps made my Don Patch his mapping is very unique, not even close to what Nintendos looks like yet very professional.

According to the credits, Megiddo has done the scripts so far. Megiddo is a great scripter but it would be nice to see Disturbed making his own scripts. The story is quite interesting, the start certainly is unique and executing it will be easy yet very effective. There are also going to be 3 starters instead of one, its an interesting idea and I'll reserve judgement until the first beta. Most of the other features are pretty standard. It still needs some work but I can tell it'll be quite interesting hack to watch.
Article by dshayabusa

Hack Review
Hacks in review

Pokémon Black and White [Link]
Hack Author: ҳ̸ҲRichie
Reviewed By: thethethethe
Reviewer's Rating: 9.1/10

I'm usually a bit uneasy when looking at Spanish hacks. They usually have amazing graphics, average scripts, fail in the English Translation and have a bland storyline. Never Black and White shattered almost all of my previous perceptions on Spanish Hacks.

Graphics is Spanish hacks seem to always be impressive. I don't know how, but they seem to always have the most amazing sprites with near perfect palettes to get a highly visually appealing hack. I'd rate this hack as one of the most beautiful hacks I've ever seen.

The storyline is somewhat reminiscent of the Final Fantasy games. The player is searching for his lost identity and many plot twists only make this more difficult. Working together with the storyline, the scripting is consistent. When I look at hacks, the scripting is what I tend to enjoy looking upon the most. From what I saw the scripts don't show anything totally outstanding. They only do just enough to compliment the storyline. I'd be much happier, even if it's pointless, is just to see one script that blows me away. Just something that stands out from the rest, and is an unforgettable event.

The thing I was overjoyed to see was that the text was not lost in translation. Many translated hacks seem to lose their point in their translation to English, and the storyline therefore becomes hard to follow. This hack did not fall into that category. In fact the translation was near perfect. I'm not sure how it appeared in Spanish, but in English, the text appeared almost of a Shakespearian dialect, which is the perfect fit for the storyline. We have text in the style of the cryptic language of Shakespeare working together with the search for the unknown identity found in the storyline. It just shows how well thought out this hack really was.

This is a remarkable hack which is truly worth playing. This is one hack you can't afford not to play.
Article by thethethethe

CSS Cool?
An insider's report by Visual

CSS Designs, we all love them, we all have them, but whats the point behind them? Most of us just want a fancy presentation that looks nice and simple, some just want to copy others. First, lets get to know what CSS is a bit. CSS is a type of code, just like HTML but it is allowed in threads and signatures because theres no danger behind it. It's nice and easy to understand, basically you create layers on top of layers, first off you would start with a background, add a border and some text and you have a CSS box. Which is where the rest is developed from. But it does look quite appealing.

Modern day hacking has made a sudden jump into CSS, requesting it from other people or just taking it from their threads. I do find it funny though, hackers have spent so much time learning how to script and change tiles but cannot be bothered to learn some simple CSS. But it doesn't matter that much, it still all appeals to us, we still find it nice, but it does seem to be becomming more un interesting.

CSS is evolving like our whole civilization, months ago you wouldn't find it anywhere, whenever you did you thought someone had hacked into their signatures and added those boxes, now they're in everyones signatures and threads and still dramatically increasing. But pretty soon something new will be discovered and people will start using that instead, and while that new discovery increases CSS will slowly fade away, but i'd pay to see that happen.

.fate said:
And remember kids: cool looking things are cool when they're rare. The more people possess something, the more uninteresting it becomes.
Article by Visual

Tips and Tricks
A cool new trick that you may not have known about

This weeks tips come from HackMew. This time its all about msgboxes. Below is a description, script example and in-game shot of the different msgbox types.

0x2

Spoiler:

0x3

Spoiler:

0x4

Spoiler:

0x5

Spoiler:

0x6

Spoiler:
Tip donated by HackMew

Interview
An in-depth chat with... Megiddo
Spoiler:
Interview by dshayabusa

Closing Notes
Some house keeping

This segment is starting to become redundant. I actually have nothing to say. If you have anything you would like the rest of the community to know about PM me and I'll put it in the Hack News segment. I think having 1 or 2 reviews per issue is best, anymore will cheapen the concept of it. Uhh, yeah, so thats it. Oh, also thanks to whoever changed the name of the thread, if you could just do that whenever you have the time that'd be great. It would save me having to PM you and you having to read it each time.
Article by dshayabusa
CSS design and graphics by dshayabusa. Ask for permission if you want to use it!

Last edited:
Years
this is an intresting news letter and one of the tips and tricks really helped me in scripting.
there are 2 great hack viewed on the news letter but there is no rating for pokemon distant
even there is no alpha or beta yet there still should be a rating for the hack

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Hmmaaah!

Very very interesting... The whole lot of it was very grand indeed.

A debate, eh? Great idea! If we do: First topic'll be That teams are better than solo working!
Pah, I'm talking too much. Maybe cos I'm going hypo cos it's 10:32pm here in Sydney. Geegegegehehehheheheh.!

PS: Neti, that's pretty much spam.

Neti

Inactive
Years
Hmmaaah!

Very very interesting... The whole lot of it was very grand indeed.

A debate, eh? Great idea! If we do: First topic'll be That teams are better than solo working!
Pah, I'm talking too much. Maybe cos I'm going hypo cos it's 10:32pm here in Sydney. Geegegegehehehheheheh.!

PS: Neti, that's pretty much spam.
why is it spam to say i like it?
must have missed taht part of the rules... or doesnt it exist?

anyway ild like to participate in that debate, let me know when and how it will be

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
If thethethethe reviewed Black and White, and openly praised it, as well as saying "It's a remarkable hack that is truly worth playing", why, I must ask, did he give it .5\10?

And yes, I do know it was a typo, that he gave it 9.3. I just wanted to point it out - not that it matters.

Last edited:
Years
If thethethethe reviewed Black and White, and openly praised it, as well as saying "It's a remarkable hack that is truly worth playing", why, I must ask, did he give it .5\10?

And yes, I do know it was a typo, that he gave it 9.3. I just wanted to point it out - not that it matters.

I thought I gave it 9.1. I assume it's just been left over from the previous issue when I gave Bloody Diamond 0.5.
A debate sounds great, but it'd probably need two sessions, like twelve hours apart, to give most people a fair chance at catching it.

EDIT: Just noticed a little typo in the tips and tricks. callstd 0x4 is closed by command #68. You wrote command #86.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I would love to be in a debate about the pros and cons of this community. If you ever do have one be sure to include me. ^^

This weeks news letter was very nice. I enjoyed reading it, keep it up.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
this is an intresting news letter and one of the tips and tricks really helped me in scripting.
there are 2 great hack viewed on the news letter but there is no rating for pokemon distant
even there is no alpha or beta yet there still should be a rating for the hack
I'm going to have to disagree. Without a playable version you can't really tell what the hack is going to be like, even maps are hard to judge when there are only screenshots available.

why is it spam to say i like it?
must have missed taht part of the rules... or doesnt it exist?

anyway ild like to participate in that debate, let me know when and how it will be
It'll probably be done on MSN so someone would just invite everyone to chat. The time is a really big problem, I can do it at pretty much anytime since I've got school holidays.

I thought I gave it 9.1. I assume it's just been left over from the previous issue when I gave Bloody Diamond 0.5.
A debate sounds great, but it'd probably need two sessions, like twelve hours apart, to give most people a fair chance at catching it.

EDIT: Just noticed a little typo in the tips and tricks. callstd 0x4 is closed by command #68. You wrote command #86.
Two sessions? I think we could do it in one, if we had it around this time most people would be online then.

This debate idea is going to be quite difficult to pull off. We should discuss numbers and who is involved in the team thread.

Years
NIce to read this :D But only one thing it was a little short in my opinion XD
But who cares as long as it's fun it's alright :D:D
Can't wait for Issue 6 :D BOL!

btw the debate thing seems nice :D It would be very educational (not sure if I wrote it good) and very fun to :D
But i've got an idea! What if you make some sort of price like HoTW but then Map of the Week :) It seems like something nice and just too small for it's own thread so you could incorporate it in the RHN :D Just an idea :)

Well again BOL!

Neti

Inactive
Years
NIce to read this :D But only one thing it was a little short in my opinion XD
But who cares as long as it's fun it's alright :D:D
Can't wait for Issue 6 :D BOL!

btw the debate thing seems nice :D It would be very educational (not sure if I wrote it good) and very fun to :D
But i've got an idea! What if you make some sort of price like HoTW but then Map of the Week :) It seems like something nice and just too small for it's own thread so you could incorporate it in the RHN :D Just an idea :)

Well again BOL!
me and dshayabusa are already talking about the map of the week thing

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Yes! This is great, wonderful! The debate idea sounds nice, and It'd be cool to be part of it! I liked the interview, it was nice. Anyways, BOL!

me and dshayabusa are already talking about the map of the week thing
Ahhh, that would be a grand idea!

+Sneasel™

It's a meeee, itman!
Years
That was great! I enjoyed reading it.
I completely agree with the rating on Pokemon Never, I loved that beta!
I also agree with the CSS thing.

The debate idea sounds cool too! I can't wait for that!
The interview was alright, I mean, it seemed more like a simple chat than an interview...but it was better than before (and megiddo is cool).

Can't wait for the next one!

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Mm, this thing seems to get better with every issue. I especially liked the tips section this week; it was nice to have the Boxset command fully explained. And you guys lengthened the interview as well. Anyways, overall a great issue and I'm looking forward to the next one (but don't rush it!).

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
well, I enjoyed reading the newsletter. ^^
It's longer than the previous one, made my eyes a bit sour. :P

anyways, a debate sounds nice. :P
it'll be complicated, but it'll be fun to read. :laugh:

about the tips and tricks, are they applicable for this format as well?
Code:
boxset 2
boxset 3
boxset 4

though I also agree that all spanish hackers have really amazing graphics... :D

continue the great work, though... ;)

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2008
Wow, I have to admit - very good layout. The description is just amazing. Good ideas, such as interviews etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back