• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone think that Professor Oak is Ash's dad?

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I can't but think so. They seem to have a father/son type of bond and implying that Ash never knew his father, I recall his mom saying that it took Ash's dad 4 days to travel from Pallet Town To Viridian City. Isn't Oak kind of slow like that too? It got me thinking. I think Oak being Ash's dad was kept secret from Ash to protect him due to Oak's celebrity. I also think that Gary Oak could be Ash's brother in some way or a cousin.

Years
I don't think so for the fact that Delia doesn't seem to have that kind of relationship with him and plus wouldn't Gary be Ash's son/uncle if that were the case?

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I don't think so for the fact that Delia doesn't seem to have that kind of relationship with him and plus wouldn't Gary be Ash's son/uncle if that were the case?

Can't be his son because Gary is older, and too young to be his uncle. Could be cousin or brother. Delia seems to get along with Oak and he visits her sometimes.

StinkomanFan

The Thing with Questionable Taste
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2015
I remember that in the Pokemon Musical they did a gag about Ash's Mom and Prof. Oak dating, but that was because the actors playing them were actually engaged. They also said Giovanni was Delia's ex, so who knows.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.... no.

If we're talking about Professor Oak being Ash's grandfather, then we would be talking at least some sense, but him being Ash's father? Now you're just being ridiculous - he's a bit old to be Ash's father.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
He's not too young to be Gary's uncle. I'm younger than my niece, so yeah.
Just wanted to point that out. :P

How does that work???????????

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.... no.

If we're talking about Professor Oak being Ash's grandfather, then we would be talking at least some sense, but him being Ash's father? Now you're just being ridiculous - he's a bit old to be Ash's father.

I had a schoolmate in my senior year of high school who was 14 and his dad was 62, so it's not as ridiculous as you think.

Yeah, I've always thought that Oak was pretty old. :c

...................yeah :\

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
@Cloyster, if Oak were his father then Gary could be his uncle but it's the wrong family relationship or whatever. An uncle can be younger than the nephew or the niece, just depends on how the family relationships are, my friend was older than his aunt.

But no I don't see no trend with this being possible anyways. If Oak is his father then Gary would be his son which isn't possible so yea, it's impossible for Oak to be his father. Unless Delia and Oak got something on, then he's not his father, if they do then he would be his step father after that.

Guest123_x1

As I may have stated a few times over, who Ash's real father is is not really for us to know, whether it is known to the creators or not. I have not seen any evidence of Gary being related to Ash in any way, other than they've been rivals since early childhood.
Plus, I seriously doubt Oak would confront Ash at some point and tell him that he is the father, Darth Vader style.
This whole issue of who is Ash's father is such a murky issue to address it's not even funny!
If only the Maury show existed in the Pokémon World...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I can't but think so. They seem to have a father/son type of bond and implying that Ash never knew his father, I recall his mom saying that it took Ash's dad 4 days to travel from Pallet Town To Viridian City. Isn't Oak kind of slow like that too? It got me thinking. I think Oak being Ash's dad was kept secret from Ash to protect him due to Oak's celebrity. I also think that Gary Oak could be Ash's brother in some way or a cousin.
@Cloyster, if Oak were his father then Gary could be his uncle but it's the wrong family relationship or whatever.

Gary would be his Nephew not his Uncle. If Oak were Ash's Dad, that would make Ash's brother Gary's Dad.

Can't be his son because Gary is older, and too young to be his uncle. Could be cousin or brother. Delia seems to get along with Oak and he visits her sometimes.

Gary and Ash are both 10, they are actually the same age. Gary may be older by date, but both are 10 as of debute.

How does that work???????????

Uncle/Nephew is just a label for family ties. The Uncle is the brother of your father while the Nephew is the son of your brother. So if Ash was Prof. Oak's son, Gary would be Ash's Nephew since Ash is Gary's Father's brother.

I say his father because Professor Oak and Gary share the same last name meaning the father was an Oak unless the mom never married, which isn't common nor looked highly upon in Japan so safe to say his dad was an oak.

Either way, Uncle/Aunt aren't age related titles. Just ways to call your parent's siblings. I have an aunt that is 14 years younger than I am.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 9, 2020
This is a shot took from an episode, in which Ash's dad is supposed to be depicted
Spoiler:

He doesn't look like Giovanni at all, but it is probably due to the young age of the man, then ,with the time goes by, his aspect could have changed in the actual form.
Otherwise he can be another man that we don't know.

I don't support the Oak theory because the Prof. doesn't seem too much worry about the danger that Ash can eventually encounter during his travel; but he has a "particular" relation with Delia, that's true, perhaps he can be a "new pretender" for the middle aged lady.

Another important point is to understand if this hypotetic dad is still alive or not; in the second episode of the first series we can guess that is still "between us" thanks to the conversation of ash with his mom.
Otherwise the Father is dead but nobody has said it to Ash not to shock him (we must remember that he's 10) and this could explain also the "light" sense of protection of Oak that someone before me has pointed out; another proof of this supposition could be located in Ash's behaviour with girls, he isn't ever seemed interested in them so he hasn't recived any teaching about " how to approch to a female person" because off the lack of a "male figure reference", although I bet that a 10-years-old child doesn't think about this kind of "dirty stuff"

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I don't think even Nintendo or Game Freak have any idea who Ash's dad is. I think they wrote it that way with no father in mind.

Bankaism

Ash's father is not Professor Oak it's some person that we will never see or even hear about ever again.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
And for the 16th or 17th year in a row the award for "The Worst Dad in the Pokemon World" goes to!...Drum rolls please... Ash's Dad! For not really supporting his wife and son in anyway, shape or form. And leaving people questioning his existence! Congrats!

And here to accept this award is his one and only son Ash! -Everyone watches him walk up to the podium, accepting the award, crying in shame-

But real talk...either something fortunate or unfortunate happened to him. We just don't know...I don't even think Game Freak/Nintendo/Pokemon Company knows either!

Last edited:
Back