• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon B/W music redone for RMXP

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Lately I've been attempting to reignite my game idea for a fanmade pokemon game, and while i'm working on the idea, i realized the stock pokemon music that came with pokemon essentials is not music i like very much. So I decided to see if i can successfully edit the music in such a way that it will loop successfully without an akward cut or break in between.

After two days of cutting and shaping, i finally got my favorite tune from black and white edited enough so it plays flawlessly in XP without akward breaks.

Before i started this, i was searching through the forums for anyone who might've made an RMXP compatible pack of the game's music, and seeing that i didn't find any, i've decided to do it myself. right now, only one tune is finished, but i plan on doing much more. Hopefully in a couple weeks, i'll have a starter set of B/W music to give out.

I am writing this to let you guys know i am in the process of working on a game music pack. I expect to have the first set done before the end of the month.

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Right now, ogg files are the only one's i've tested and worked. MP3 kept messing up and cutting at bad times. Since this one works, i'll try mp3 next. if it works just as well, i will use it since i kinda want to give this out in mp3 anyway, but if it doesn't work, then i'll have to stick with ogg.

yes i did use audacity. It also has a loop play feature that allows me to hear how it sounds looped. I'll try mp3 and see how it works.

EDIT: I was afraid of this. It seems ogg files are the only file type that will loop flawessly. MP3 just won't loop without the pause. I've decided with the first pack that i plan to release with these optimised, i will include a few route tracks, the gym theme at leader theme, wild pokemon theme, and trainer theme. I'll figure out how i'm going to loop the battle themes no thanks to the 3-6 second intro that is only heard once.

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Why not ju-- never mind, this is RMXP.

Now on topic. Never use MP3 files when developing games and wanting it to loop perfectly. Only WAVE or OGG files work nicely here. You CAN use MP3 files, though- I'm not stopping you.

Although finding a loop point should be simple, isn't it defined in the SDAT of BW?

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Although finding a loop point should be simple, isn't it defined in the SDAT of BW?
Can this be done in audacity? I can't find anything in it that would allow this.

I will be exporting these in ogg file format.

I am not ripping these directly from the game, i have the soundtrack files from a cd.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Ah, then screw it. An SDAT is the Sound Data file from a DS, you can only see the points with a HEX editor.

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Does that mean i'm attempting to do this the hard way?

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
No, my way is the hard way. But it's also the only way to get it right to .001th of a second.

Never mind my previous posts, just keep using Audacity. Besides, I've done that with music that wasn't meant to loop, so you got it simple.

No, my way is the hard way. But it's also the only way to get it right to .001th of a second.

Never mind my previous posts, just keep using Audacity. Besides, I've done that with music that wasn't meant to loop, so you got it simple.

Last edited:

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
thanks. right now i'm finding the battle music the hardest to figure out. Not because of having trouble finding the loop point, but because of a multi-second intro that doesn't repeat with the rest of the music. I was trying to figure out how to implement it into RMXP, but all i was able to do so far was send the event into an endless loop thus freezing my character and the game.

I don't know what to do except take out the intro and leave the rest of it alone. That works fine for the route and town music, but not the battle music. And delaying a battle for almost 15 seconds just for a musical intro is probably not a good idea. I'll figure something out.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
thanks. right now i'm finding the battle music the hardest to figure out. Not because of having trouble finding the loop point, but because of a multi-second intro that doesn't repeat with the rest of the music. I was trying to figure out how to implement it into RMXP, but all i was able to do so far was send the event into an endless loop thus freezing my character and the game.

I don't know what to do except take out the intro and leave the rest of it alone. That works fine for the route and town music, but not the battle music. And delaying a battle for almost 15 seconds just for a musical intro is probably not a good idea. I'll figure something out.

Well, in the game industry, it's a very simple fix. You just take out the intro and have it as a separate file and once it ends (I really hope RMXP has this), it plays the next file, which is the endless loop while the battle is processed. To make it smoother, both files are loaded into memory when the battle starts (if you're going that method with memory use).

I've got to stop thinking like a programmer here.

Awkward Squirtle

,@,e .ºoO
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2016
Split the file into two sections - the intro and the main loop. If you simultaneously play the intro as an ME and the loop as a BGM, the ME will play first, then immediately switch to the (looping) BGM when it's done playing. A bit hackish, but it works perfectly.

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
Split the file into two sections - the intro and the main loop. If you simultaneously play the intro as an ME and the loop as a BGM, the ME will play first, then immediately switch to the (looping) BGM when it's done playing. A bit hackish, but it works perfectly.
Thanks. I'll try that. Of course i may have to give instructions for how to do this for those members that don't know what that means. Once i found something that works, i'll write down how i did it. However, while RMXP by itself seems to support this idea, Pokemon essentials seems to run on a different method together. I say that because nearly all music cues under the system tab in the database are blank. either that means they won't play when essentials is run, or some other reason that i can't think of right now.

As for the route and town music which has the same problem, i determined some of the route music sounds just as good without it's intro than with it. But i haven't finished all the work on it yet.

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
Thanks. I'll try that. Of course i may have to give instructions for how to do this for those members that don't know what that means. Once i found something that works, i'll write down how i did it. However, while RMXP by itself seems to support this idea, Pokemon essentials seems to run on a different method together. I say that because nearly all music cues under the system tab in the database are blank. either that means they won't play when essentials is run, or some other reason that i can't think of right now.

As for the route and town music which has the same problem, i determined some of the route music sounds just as good without it's intro than with it. But i haven't finished all the work on it yet.

The only audio comand that doesn't work for me is change battle end ME.
Everything else works.
So I don't understand what you ment?

pokefan41

RMXP Game Developer
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2023
The only audio comand that doesn't work for me is change battle end ME.
Everything else works.
So I don't understand what you ment?
I wasn't trying to explain a problem, considering i haven't tried anything yet with the default settings, i was only making an observation.

EDIT: The first pack of music is done. the next one will likely have a lot more music tracks.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8bkb522lpaavd0n

Included in this are:

The Day I Became King
A new Adventure
Title Music
Route 1
Battle Wild Pokemon
victory against Wild Pokemon
Karakusa Town Music (sorry not english name)
Gym Music
Battle Gym Leader music
Victory against gym leader

Enjoy

Last edited:
Back