• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
The Ultimate Multi-Type Challenge!

Basically this: You have to beat the game with all of your Pokemon being dual-types and having moves that don't match either type nor each other.
For example, let's say one beat the game with a Venusaur, Charizard, Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgeot, and Fearow. It would have to be something akin to this:

Venusaur :~: Double-Edge, Earthquake, Rock Smash, Sunnyday
Charizard :~: Dragon Claw, Shadow Claw, Slash, Solar Beam
Butterfree :~: Psybeam, Poison Powder, Stun Spore, Safeguard
Beedrill :~: Rage, Assurance, Agility, Solar Beam
Pidgeot :~: Sand-Attack, Twister, Agility, U-turn
Fearow :~: Assurance, Agility, Drill Run, U-turn

Each of those Pokemon are dual-types. Each of their moves are both different from their user's types, as well as different from each other. It would basically be a challenge to cover many, many more types than usual. Each Pokemon would cover 6 types. Amazing.

Your thoughts? I may not do it, but I'd find it rather fun :D

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
The Ultimate Multi-Type Challenge!

Basically this: You have to beat the game with all of your Pokemon being dual-types and having moves that don't match either type nor each other.
For example, let's say one beat the game with a Venusaur, Charizard, Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgeot, and Fearow. It would have to be something akin to this:

Venusaur :~: Double-Edge, Earthquake, Rock Smash, Sunnyday
Charizard :~: Dragon Claw, Shadow Claw, Slash, Solar Beam
Butterfree :~: Psybeam, Poison Powder, Stun Spore, Safeguard
Beedrill :~: Rage, Assurance, Agility, Solar Beam
Pidgeot :~: Sand-Attack, Twister, Agility, U-turn
Fearow :~: Assurance, Agility, Drill Run, U-turn

Each of those Pokemon are dual-types. Each of their moves are both different from their user's types, as well as different from each other. It would basically be a challenge to cover many, many more types than usual.

Your thoughts? I may not do it, but I'd find it rather fun :D

I made a 'no STAB' challenge, which is essentially this a while ago and it wasn't popular. You could still make it, but that was just my experience. (The challenge was also very tedious for me as well xD)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
So in trade corner chat, we came up with an awesome idea that kinda makes challenges and trade corner collaborate. p awesome. Not sure if we'll actually do it, but I'll talk to the mods and see if it can be an option for Get Together, but if not, it could replace the June event I thought of.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen May 26, 2012
I had this idea whilst deciding my team for HeartGold once I get it. As we all know, by the end of the game almost all the time we have 6 pokemon. Now my challenge is that final 6 are the only pokemon you can have. Here's how it would work (I'm going to be testing this challenge when I play HeartGold)

Rule Ideas

1. You declare the 6 pokemon for the challenge. These pokemon are the final team when you beat the toughest player in the game. You are allowed 1 Ditto outside your team for breeding purposes unless your team already has a Ditto.
  2. Once a Pokemon joins your team, it can't leave. The only exception is Ditto for breeding.
  3. Once all 6 slots are filled, you can't replace the team members.
  4. Due to all games have a starter, that starter must be in your team.
  5. You can add a pokemon to your team the moment it's available in the game or any time after that moment. For example, you can add a Pikachu to your team in FireRed in Viridian Forest and from that point onwards.
  6. No game trading allowed (Moving pokemon between games). Ruins the point of the challenge.
  7. Legendaries are allowed. But be warned as by the point you can capture them in the game, you'd need at least 1 free team slot.
  8. Apart from game trading, you can use anyway to gather pokemon (Gifts, Catching, Ingame trading, Prizes, etc).
Let me give an example. The first 3 team members of my final pokemon team are the following.

• Feraligator
  • Jolteon
  • Dragonite
Now at the beginning, I would acquire Totodile who evolves into Feraligator at Professor Elm's. However Dratini and Eevee aren't found at the beginning as Dratini is acquired in Goldenrod by the Game Corner and Eevee is acquired from Bill in Goldenrod. So I until Goldenrod city, I would only have Totodile. Therefore I would have to get up to Goldenrod city with Totodile. In Goldenrod, I would have to acquire Dratini and Eevee to add them to my team. From that point, I'd have 3 pokemon in my team.

Anywho, I'd like feedback on this challenge idea

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That sounds like a normal playthrough for me, honestly, just with a few tweaks. Not really liking it as a challenge. That's not a hard thing to do. :/

Care to explain, master syd?

It's kind of a rough draft type deal, cause we didn't work out the kinks, but I'll ask them later. The downside is that you'll need wifi though. We can work out an alternative for older games or ROM players later. But basically, you start off the game like normal and obtain a team of 6 by the 3rd gym. After you defeat 3 gyms, you trade your entire team with someone else. After the next gym, you do the same, but not with the person you traded with before. You can't trade with someone you've already traded with. After you defeat the game, you'll get your original team back and see what became of them. We don't necessarily need Trade Corner collaboration for this, but it'd be nice. Like I said, I'll talk to TC mods about this. There could be other alternatives to it. We shall see.

Last edited:

SuperKirbyFan

Weedle trainer
Years
That sounds like a normal playthrough for me, honestly, just with a few tweaks. Not really liking it as a challenge. That's not a hard thing to do. :/

It's kind of a rough draft type deal, cause we didn't work out the kinks, but I'll ask them later. The downside is that you'll need wifi though. We can work out an alternative for older games or ROM players later. But basically, you start off the game like normal and obtain a team of 6 by the 3rd gym. After you defeat 3 gyms, you trade your entire team with someone else. After the next gym, you do the same, but not with the person you traded with before. You can't trade with someone you've already traded with. After you defeat the game, you'll get your original team back and see what became of them. We don't necessarily need Trade Corner collaboration for this, but it'd be nice. Like I said, I'll talk to TC mods about this. There could be other alternatives to it. We shall see.

I really like this idea, and would probably want to try it out.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Oh, that's great to hear. :) I was afraid everyone would like...punch me. Like I said, I need to work out options for people that don't want to use BW or DPPT/HGSS. But emulator trading is allowed, so that might work? And I also wanna go over this with trade mods and see if this can be a forum collab. Though if we're gonna make it a collab, we could change it to where you recieve a random team from a trader (all in eggs) and use those. kekeke.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Oh, that's great to hear. :) I was afraid everyone would like...punch me. Like I said, I need to work out options for people that don't want to use BW or DPPT/HGSS. But emulator trading is allowed, so that might work? And I also wanna go over this with trade mods and see if this can be a forum collab. Though if we're gonna make it a collab, we could change it to where you recieve a random team from a trader (all in eggs) and use those. kekeke.
how would those with emulators participate?

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I love this idea, and am very curious to see how those with emulators could do it.

I have an idea, that could potentially work. Once everyone gets their three badges, they save the ROM and somehow send the SAV file to the moderators or a small board of whoever's running the event. Once the mod has all the SAV files, he/she/they TGBdual/VBAlink trades all the Pokemon to the appropriate person. Then, he just sends the SAV file back to the person who is doing the challenge.

It would take a lot of organization to make sure that the right ROM gets to the right person, but I think it shouldn't be too awful...

vaporeon7

Years
I love this idea, and am very curious to see how those with emulators could do it.

I have an idea, that could potentially work. Once everyone gets their three badges, they save the ROM and somehow send the SAV file to the moderators or a small board of whoever's running the event. Once the mod has all the SAV files, he/she/they TGBdual/VBAlink trades all the Pokemon to the appropriate person. Then, he just sends the SAV file back to the person who is doing the challenge.

It would take a lot of organization to make sure that the right ROM gets to the right person, but I think it shouldn't be too awful...

OMG if you could do it like this Syddy, that would be amazing. I don't want to do it on my actual games though because I won't ever start a new game in them. But if it's possible, Myrrh's idea sounds perfect.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I was just about to say that that idea sounds perfect. However, I am not skilled with emulators, and personally, I'd use a real cartridge since I like keeping my challenge Pokemon. But I do think that'll work. :) As long as we have a good explanation of how to do it and good leadership and honest participants, I don't think it should be hard. Let's just hope the people from last year don't enter. Plus, with this kind of event, we don't have winners and losers (I really dislike competition to be quite honest with you) and as long as you attempt it, even if your trader might fail you, you still get your prize for your efforts.

vaporeon7

Years
Is there a way we can filter out some of the potential "just signer-upers" out of the challenge? The only thing I can think of is having a requirement of having done X amount of challenges beforehand, but then again, that excludes potential new challenge regulars from participating.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That and I really wouldn't feel like sifting through the challenges they've done to see if they were active. But I think, if we run into that kind of problem, they could find someone else to trade with, and if not, I can be the designated person to go to, or something like that. Thinking about this more, we don't necessarily need Trade Corner collaboration, but me and Blade thought it'd be fun. However, I'd only really want reputable traders, because like with the "i want the emblem" challengers, there are traders that are...blah. lol

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I was just about to say that that idea sounds perfect. However, I am not skilled with emulators, and personally, I'd use a real cartridge since I like keeping my challenge Pokemon. But I do think that'll work. :) As long as we have a good explanation of how to do it and good leadership and honest participants, I don't think it should be hard. Let's just hope the people from last year don't enter. Plus, with this kind of event, we don't have winners and losers (I really dislike competition to be quite honest with you) and as long as you attempt it, even if your trader might fail you, you still get your prize for your efforts.

I would be glad to help. I am quite well versed in Emulator use. This is quite exciting now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back