• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digimon or Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Digimon for the anime Pokemon for the game and Yugioh for the card game (Just putting Yugioh there lol)

Years
Leomon doesn't die in Xros wars, He's been purified from the MadLeomon to Ordinary Leomon,

Well as for anime, Pokemon is much better at the beginning and gradually worsen,
Digimon has a good story (no limitation for the creatures form and dark-side)
Mostly because pokemon is targeted only for kids??

For the game, well Pokemon is much better

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I haven't watched either of the animes up for discussion since I was about 11-years-old, but I have much fonder memories of the Digimon anime... To be honest, that is kinda surprising to me, as I have no interest in Digimon as a franchise (as opposed to Pokemon, for obvious reasons!) and I physically remember more of the Pokemon anime e.g. the characters, plots etc. But I always felt more fulfiled in the moment as a viewer when watching the Digimon anime, despite not remembering any of it now! In particular, I always liked that the protagonists Digimon actually evolved in the show; in contrast, I always kept screaming at the screen whenever Ash would say "I love my Pikachu so much I'm never going to evolve it yadda yadda yadda..." So, as petty as it is, Digimon's approach to evolution means it held up higher in my estimations. Yay?

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I watched both Pokemon and Digimon as a kid, but Pokemon was always more popular and so I stayed with it more for most of my life. However...several years ago I played Digimon World Dawn, my first Digimon game, and I got back into Digimon again. Last summer I watched Tamers and I'm going through Adventure atm, and I've got to say that as far as anime goes, Digimon always wins. There's just so much more that goes into it.

As for games, I like both. Pokemon I love and always will, but I love it the best when I'm playing with other people. Digimon is more fun for me when I'm playing alone (not to mention most of the games are 1-player anyway...but yeah). Quality-wise, Pokemon wins it for games.

Basically, I love Pokemon and Digimon :I

blue

gucci
Years
I didn't really mind Digimon but Pokémon will always remain dominant for me considering it's been part of my life for 13+ years.

Usul

Cease my heart beat's weave.
Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2013
I have grew up with Pokémon as for the anime, but I never liked the story lines of it, it's also so plain, dull and boring. Seeing the same main character all over again with a electro shocker following him around wasn't really fitting me. I always disliked the Pokémon series even at the start always so.. plain boring.

As for the Digimon anime, I always liked the input they make in their enemies unlike Pokémon with the same old Team Rocket who pop in to steal Ash's Pokémons, in Digimon every Main enemy is different.
As for the 'saving the world' thing, well.. isn't that what Pokémon does as well? (Well, in the movies) Pokémon is just based on being a Pokémon Master, but that adventure never seem to end, therefore we will never know if it's ever going to be. On the other hand, Digimon always have a 'happy ending' in every Season, saving both worlds is getting more realistic and interesting by each season. I really like the design of the main characters and creature design way over Pokémon, something Pokémon never can beat Digimon on me.

As for the Games. The graphics on Digimon Games are a bit.. off. Until Digimon World 4. It wasn't really interesting gameplay for me, Pokémon on the other hand got good gameplay, but with the new upcoming Digimon game for the PSP i''ll be getting back to this, but so far. Pokémon has won on the game experience side. However, Digimon always has been interesting in their Games as I metioned the gameplay isn't that much impressed. But their stories in their games also will beat Pokémon.

So to make this short. Digimon always will beat in everything that Pokémon has, aside from Video Gaming.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I prefer Pokémon in every way. When I first saw the commercials for Digimon I though it was going to be similar to Pokémon but it was way different, I saw about 12 episodes or so, I lost interest in Digimon all together.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2012
Well digimons are made from data and pokemon is a living being, we can't compare them !

jk, Digimon is decent and the anime is cooler than pokemon, but the franchise with games that pokemon provides beats it

Little Oshawott

The Trainer of cute Pokemon
Years
Relating to Anime.. I say Digimon.. I loved the first few seasons of Pokemon then It went boring for me and all seemed the same. And I still love Digimon, the only season I didnt like was the dub of Savers.

But still in a way... I like both of them... as I watch Digimon and play Pokemon. I need to rewatch the old school Pokemon heh heh.

Seiren

Playing the Spirit's Tune~
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 7, 2013
Ah yes, the age old question. The one that raged across the playground during my childhood: which was better? Well, back then we all decided Pokemon was better and that Digimon was just a rip-off capitalising on Pokemon's success, because it was aired on television afterwards, when the "pocket monster" craze was in full bloom, and things like Monster Rancher were popping up as well.

But I digress. Between the two, I think Pokemon has withstood the test of time much better. I didn't care for Tamers or Savers, and after being told (rather vehemently) that Xros Wars is even worse, I've been put right off it. That said, I think the Adventure seasons of Digimon are by far better than any of the Pokemon anime seasons - the humour is just better, and that goes a long way with me - and I quite enjoyed Frontier as well, although not quite as much as I did the original series of Pokemon. The card games were both equally nonsensical, and Digimon had the better action figures.

When it comes to games, Pokemon wins by sheer volume and diversity. I've played the original Digimon World, as well as the DS version and Dawn. They were good games, but compared to the thousands of hours I've spent on Pokemon games...well, they just can't compete.

So to conclude, both are excellent, but whilst Digimon was better than Pokemon as its peak, Pokemon has withstood the test of time far better than Digimon has, and will likely continue to do so.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
It seems like every time I disappear from this forum for a few months and then come back, there's a new thread on the age-old Digimon vs. Pokemon issue. So, here's my big thesis on the merits/demerits of both franchises:

The Games

I love the main-series Pokemon games. They are ridiculously well-designed and detailed for games ostensibly made for six year olds, and there are few experiences in gaming more gratifying than rounding up your favorite team of six and raising them to the point of conquering the Elite Four and the Champion. On top of that, it's the perfect game for collectors. At least it was up until about Gen III. It takes a special kind of crazy nowadays to catch/evolve/trade for all 649 pocket monsters, but I digress. Pokemon is an awesome game, and it's why I'm here.

I haven't played all that many Digimon games (Just some of the DS ones, really), but I've never been impressed. At best, the Digimon World DS/Dawn/Dusk games are mildly amusing RPGs that are uncomfortably similar to Pokemon in most aspects except for the ones that really counted. The "World" consisted of repetitive and uninteresting dungeons, as opposed to Pokemon's comparatively sprawling and fascinating regions. Also, the mechanics behind the games are just less meticulously crafted and balanced. The system of evolutions is convoluted and inconsistent, the type advantages are simplistic and uninteresting, and all the grinding and fetch-quest missions can't compare to the sense of adventure that's present in Pokemon. Actually, I think the only reason I had any fun at all with those games is...guess what...

The Anime

...yeah, I'm a big fan of the Digimon cartoons. I remember the initial airing of the dub of Digimon Adventure (or just Digimon, as we called it back then) when I was in first grade; it was the first anime I had ever seen and it left a big impression on me. It had everything a kid could ask for in a TV show: likable characters, a strange and fascinating setting, awesome fights, funny jokes, intimidating and charismatic villains, good vs. evil and all the betrayal/redemption that comes with it, and (for me at least) technological themes (I was a nerd then too). It was one of the first movies/shows that really got me invested in the outcome on a weekly basis. I cared about the lead kids, and I loved the way they played off their Digimon partners and their parents.

As for the Pokemon anime, even when I was a kid and watching it at the same time as Digimon it didn't really compare. It was entertaining, and I was always fascinated by the world of Pokemon, but the characters were too flat and uninteresting. Ash, Misty, and Brock had nothing on Tai, Matt, Sora, Joe, Izzy, Kari, TK, and hell not even Mimi. They were funny and Pokemon battles were cool, but to what end? There was nothing at stake; every week Team Rocket would blast off again, and we all knew that Ash was never going to be a Pokemon master because the goal was just too massive. With the Digimon kids, we (first graders) actually wondered if they would get home, or if they would beat the bad guy who totally outclassed them. Especially watching the shows again as a teenager/adult, it is clear that while Digimon has a story to tell with character arcs and drama and the like, Pokemon has never been anything more than a weekly diversion/advertisement.

The only time I the Pokemon anime ever made me care was when that first movie came out (wow was that movie a big deal), and I cared more about Mewtwo than about Ash. And even if we're going to talk movies, the first two Japanese Digimon movies by Mamoru Hosoda absolutely crush the Pokemon movies with their artful direction and superb character animation alone.

tl;dr

Pokemon has awesome games, Digimon has mediocre-to-bad games. Pokemon has an uninspired and manipulative cartoon, Digimon has a cartoon with real heart that made me care.

Except for Digimon: Xros Wars. I can't believe I ever defended that pile of turd. Don't watch it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2012
I like Digimon the first season. Ive watch pokemon also until now. Both anime are interesting to watch specially for kids.

Years
Pokémon of course. It have so much more than Digimon have.

Games, anime and merchandise is better.

But Digimon have one good game - Digimon Rumble Arena 2.

The Digimon anime was WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the Pokemon anime. The only thing Pokemon has is the games that are repetitive and thanks to Black 2 and White 2 are copying Digimon with the fusion evolution.

It seems like every time I disappear from this forum for a few months and then come back, there's a new thread on the age-old Digimon vs. Pokemon issue. So, here's my big thesis on the merits/demerits of both franchises:

The Games

I love the main-series Pokemon games. They are ridiculously well-designed and detailed for games ostensibly made for six year olds, and there are few experiences in gaming more gratifying than rounding up your favorite team of six and raising them to the point of conquering the Elite Four and the Champion. On top of that, it's the perfect game for collectors. At least it was up until about Gen III. It takes a special kind of crazy nowadays to catch/evolve/trade for all 649 pocket monsters, but I digress. Pokemon is an awesome game, and it's why I'm here.

I haven't played all that many Digimon games (Just some of the DS ones, really), but I've never been impressed. At best, the Digimon World DS/Dawn/Dusk games are mildly amusing RPGs that are uncomfortably similar to Pokemon in most aspects except for the ones that really counted. The "World" consisted of repetitive and uninteresting dungeons, as opposed to Pokemon's comparatively sprawling and fascinating regions. Also, the mechanics behind the games are just less meticulously crafted and balanced. The system of evolutions is convoluted and inconsistent, the type advantages are simplistic and uninteresting, and all the grinding and fetch-quest missions can't compare to the sense of adventure that's present in Pokemon. Actually, I think the only reason I had any fun at all with those games is...guess what...

The Anime

...yeah, I'm a big fan of the Digimon cartoons. I remember the initial airing of the dub of Digimon Adventure (or just Digimon, as we called it back then) when I was in first grade; it was the first anime I had ever seen and it left a big impression on me. It had everything a kid could ask for in a TV show: likable characters, a strange and fascinating setting, awesome fights, funny jokes, intimidating and charismatic villains, good vs. evil and all the betrayal/redemption that comes with it, and (for me at least) technological themes (I was a nerd then too). It was one of the first movies/shows that really got me invested in the outcome on a weekly basis. I cared about the lead kids, and I loved the way they played off their Digimon partners and their parents.

As for the Pokemon anime, even when I was a kid and watching it at the same time as Digimon it didn't really compare. It was entertaining, and I was always fascinated by the world of Pokemon, but the characters were too flat and uninteresting. Ash, Misty, and Brock had nothing on Tai, Matt, Sora, Joe, Izzy, Kari, TK, and hell not even Mimi. They were funny and Pokemon battles were cool, but to what end? There was nothing at stake; every week Team Rocket would blast off again, and we all knew that Ash was never going to be a Pokemon master because the goal was just too massive. With the Digimon kids, we (first graders) actually wondered if they would get home, or if they would beat the bad guy who totally outclassed them. Especially watching the shows again as a teenager/adult, it is clear that while Digimon has a story to tell with character arcs and drama and the like, Pokemon has never been anything more than a weekly diversion/advertisement.

The only time I the Pokemon anime ever made me care was when that first movie came out (wow was that movie a big deal), and I cared more about Mewtwo than about Ash. And even if we're going to talk movies, the first two Japanese Digimon movies by Mamoru Hosoda absolutely crush the Pokemon movies with their artful direction and superb character animation alone.

tl;dr

Pokemon has awesome games, Digimon has mediocre-to-bad games. Pokemon has an uninspired and manipulative cartoon, Digimon has a cartoon with real heart that made me care.

Except for Digimon: Xros Wars. I can't believe I ever defended that pile of turd. Don't watch it.

I agree with everything you said except the Xros Wars thing because I haven't watched it and the just rip themselves off by using DNA Digivolution/Evolution but renaming it.

Last edited:

Loonie

Mischievous Gamer
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2012
In the war between digimon and pokemon i would really choose..............

Digimon.. because id like it so much and it was the first anime show ived seen in my childhood so yeah and digimon is cool because even if they digivolve the digimons can still become there first stages ^_^ which is epic coolness

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
As a whole, Pokemon wins by a landslide. The games are amazing and the movies and anime are quite decent, not to mention all of the great merchandise Pokemon gets.
Granted, Digimon has a far superior anime with relatively complex characters and far more interesting plotlines. Still, Pokemon holds an edge over Digimon in everything else.

Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2012
Digimon Frontier is my favorite season in Digimon, and one of my favorite TV seasons of all the shows I've seen. That season alone is so much better than any season in Pokémon. But I'm not a member of any Digimon communities, so I think that speaks for itself. Other than the anime, I think Pokémon is superior in every other aspect.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Digimon are created by taking an animal, covering it with thousands of weapons, spikes, armor, and markings, and calling it *something*-mon. These names are very uncreative, in contrast to Pokemon's witty names. Pokemon also, in appearance, are based off of real creatures, for the most part, and retain a fantasy appeal. Digimon are just giant robots. It's also obvious that Digimon was created to compete with Pokemon, but in that it failed miserably.

Digimon isn't even close to being a good Pokemon knockoff. Just compare a few creatures and note the differences. While Digimon have to resort to spikes, robotic limbs, armor, masks, markings, and all this other crap, Pokemon is much more simple in that regard.

Another thing that sticks out about Digimon is the color schemes. The color scheme of a Digimon is almost always random, and without any reason. Pokemon, though, have meaningful color schemes, or at least ones that look good together. Although some of the newer Pokemon exhibit Digimon-like traits (Black and White Kyurem, anyone?), I doubt that Pokemon will ever get quite as bad as Digimon.

Matthew

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2015
I'd probably be on a Digimon forum if I preferred it, so yeah. I admit I didn't quite give Digimon a real chance though.

Years
In my own opinion, Pokémon is better than Digimon. I'm still watching Pokémon and playing Pokémon games. I tried to watch Digimon once but I think my taste doesn't like it. I just simply prefer Pokémon over Digimon. That ends my reasoning. :cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back