• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2013
There are a lot of possiblities with the typings of Xerneas and Yveltal.
Imo, i think Yveltal would be dark flying and Xerneas would be ice psychic. It's pretty hard to guess Xerneas's typing lol. In the trailer when Xerneas takes a step, you see something like mist appear and when it zooms out there is mist around Xerneas, thats why i think Xerneas would be part ice. But it's strange cuz it does not fit the foresty background it's in. I think it would be psychic so it would be weak to dark(yveltal). Also, both of the leg have an advantage.
ice>flying
Dark>psychic

Another thing is that Yveltal could be part ghost. either ghost/flying or ghost/dark with levitate such as flygon (dragon/ground)
What leads me to believe that is because it has blue eyes which it zooms in on and it seems blind. In a norse legend the "bird/dragon" is supposed to be a ghost or something supernatural.What do u guys think?

Last edited:

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I can see Yveltal as a flying type, maybe even a Dark type. Ghost could be possible i guess, but I don't think there is enough evidence to support that. As far as Xerneas goes though, i have a completely different feeling about his typing. I think Ice is really unlikely, as you said yourself, he is shown in a forest, so I'd place my bet on Grass rather than Ice. Psychic would fit though, maybe even Ghost. Or we might all be susprised and they both get a new type (maybe the same Sylveon will have) + something else (Flying and Grass maybe?)

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'm really rooting against a new typing for the legendaries. I'm hoping they share a common type with each other (and in this case I'm hoping either Psychic or Dark), and then have their own secondary typing that's neutral or super-effective against the other. Gives them a sense of balance I guess.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I like the idea of the Legendaries sharing a type, especially if their second typing makes them super effective against each other. I just can't think of a combination that would fit...let's say they both are psychic. Yveltal does look like a flying type, Xerneas could be a grass type...but that would be unfair against Xerneas right?
On the other Hand, Kyogre was super effective against Groudon, so...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I feel that the moves they're going to have are going to be much more offensive than defensive, as is usual the case with unique moves specific to mascot legendaries (I haven't really hard if a defensive move that only a mascot legendary has, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). That said though, I feel that both of their moves would have something to do with manipulating DNA of some sort, maybe manipulate your Pokemon's type as some sort of side-effect. That'd be interesting. @_@

Or... manipulate the opposing legendaries' forme? And on everything else reverse all the stats?? Actually I wonder if these legendaries might get alternate formes!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Actually I wonder if these legendaries might get alternate formes!

I'm really not the biggest fan of alternate forms, so i hope they don't. I think alternate forms are pretty fitting for some pokemon, especially Arceus, but it has been pretty much overused in legendaries, at least that's my opinion. And besides the Fusion feature in B2/W2, the 2 mascot legendaries have always only had one form, so i hope it stays that way

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
Years
Would be plausible, but there's nothing on Xerneas' body that would indicate that it's an ice-type whatsoever. D: When you look at Ice Pokemon, they usually look...frozen (if that's a good word to describe them)? Some part of them would either be covered in ice, or there's something about their appearance that says they belong more in icy mountains than anywhere else.

Since we see Xerneas in a forest rather than in an icy climate, I think it's safe that we can rule out ice type, I think.
My reasoining was the mist around him in the forest (also could suggest ghost maybe?) and to a lesser extent the blue colouring. Oh well, just a though!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Would be plausible, but there's nothing on Xerneas' body that would indicate that it's an ice-type whatsoever. D: When you look at Ice Pokemon, they usually look...frozen (if that's a good word to describe them)? Some part of them would either be covered in ice, or there's something about their appearance that says they belong more in icy mountains than anywhere else.

Since we see Xerneas in a forest rather than in an icy climate, I think it's safe that we can rule out ice type, I think.

Well... it could be a rain forest where it's really cold and parts of it has frozen due to being there for so long??

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years

I also think Ice is rather unlikely, Grass or Ghost would make more sense. And rain forest are usually pretty hot and humid, not cold. I guess if the trailer shows him in a frozen forest, then Ice would be pretty much possible

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Maybe it's antlers could be a suggestion for an Ice type? They almost look icicle-ish, and being multicolored could be from the light shining through them? Possible but I don't really see it happening to be honest.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Maybe it's antlers could be a suggestion for an Ice type? They almost look icicle-ish, and being multicolored could be from the light shining through them? Possible but I don't really see it happening to be honest.

That's actually a very interesting thought, and it even makes a lot of sense. I still think it's rather unlikely...i guess his antlers could be made of crystals or any other material that breaks light.
I'd be really surprised if he turned out to be an Ice type.

Water>Ground

Their match-up is irrelevant.

Now this i can totally agree with. Just because the legendaries in DPPt and B/W all were dragons (thus being super effective against their counterparts), if you take away the dragon part, their second type is pretty much neutral or even not very effective. If we look back at past gens, legendaries didn't have balanced types, Kyogre and Groudon being the best example.

Neeni

Stage On!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 11, 2013
aren't legendy pokes names getting harder to pronounce or what? xD
anyways I was BLOWN when I saw the new legends! they're really majestic and excellent looking~ I'm going for Yveltal though since I think it looks a lot more original than Xerneas and just very catchy

about their types, I think GF is taking a new direction, making the typing very unclear from the looks of the pokemon. no one can really tell! but personally I think they will be:

Yveltal: Flying/Dark
Xerneas: Psychic/Ice

or at least that's what I want to see

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
That's actually a very interesting thought, and it even makes a lot of sense. I still think it's rather unlikely...i guess his antlers could be made of crystals or any other material that breaks light.
I'd be really surprised if he turned out to be an Ice type.

Now this i can totally agree with. Just because the legendaries in DPPt and B/W all were dragons (thus being super effective against their counterparts), if you take away the dragon part, their second type is pretty much neutral or even not very effective. If we look back at past gens, legendaries didn't have balanced types, Kyogre and Groudon being the best example.
Kyogre and Groudon are the only legendary mascot example however, the rest have all been balanced. The only other mascots who haven't been balanced are the non-legendary Kanto starters final evolutions (Charzard having two types that beat Venusaur's primary type). Also Kyogre beating Groudon makes sense as there's more water than land. While if the chromosomes legends had one that beat the other it would create an unfortunate implication, which no one wants.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I think that the implication of the potential chromosome theory and genetics themes and with the X chromosome being better than Y or vice-versa, which is why people kind of want to keep them balanced. It could just have backlash that people don't want. I mean although it's not really saying that, it just makes sense from a PR standpoint if this is the case to make them balanced =P

Years
I still find it so strange that Nintendo haven't revealed their typing yet. Or the typing of Sylveon, for that matter. I'm pretty sure I remember Dialga and Palkia's typings to've been revealed relatively early after the announcement of DP, and the same goes for Reshiram and Zekrom.

Looking at Yveltal, it's hard to say that it could be anything but partially Flying, and considering it's colour scheme and general appearance, I'd say it'd be Dark too. I wouldn't complain if it were Dragon instead of Flying, but I'm good either way.

Xerneas... It's pretty hard to give a guess. I'd actually want to say Steel and Psychic, but really that's just me, going by certain aspects of its appearance.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
The mascots never had any real balance. I don't know what you guys are talking about XD

Gen 2: Lugia, although was Psychic/Flying learned Water attacks naturally giving him a distinctive edge over Ho-oh who was Fire/Flying.

Gen 3: Groundon was weak to Kyogre due to Groudon beinf Ground typed and Kyogre being Water. You can say that ability wise they cancel each other out, but that is situational arguement. If Kyogre is slower than Groudon, Drizzle takes priority giving Kyogre an even further advantage. Even with Sun up, Groudon still taked STAB'd weakness from Kyogre.

Gen 4: Dialga is Steel and Dragon. His type match up gives him a very unique advantage over Palkia as he resists Water due to being part Dragon and his Steel's resistance cancels out his Dragon Weakness. So Dialga is not weak to Dragon attacks. Palkia on the other hand resists Steel due to being a water type, but is weak to Dragon. Dialga has the advantage over Palkia.

Gen 5: The only Generation where the two main mascots do not hinder one another by type or move pool. Electric and fire don't resist one another although Dragon resists both and each resist themselves. Reshiram is weak to more common attack types such as Ground and Rock, while Zekrom has to deal with Ground and Ice. So until Gen 5, the mascots were never on equal footing.

Xerneas being Psychic and Yveltal being Dark is quite possible. All type combinations are quite possible since we've only ever had one pair that was neutral towards one another.

I'd prefer a less Darkrai/Cresselia relationship though. We don't even know what they each stand for. There is the rumored Life and Death, but those are very morbid themes for a Pokemon Game. Not that its impossible, just not very likely. Xerneas could be an Ice type despite being in a forest. If the forest was near a mountain or cave, it fits in with a good deal of ice types that are found in a semi wooded area before a cave, near a mountain, or in the center of a mountain/mountain valley.

Too many unknowns about both to say anything is solid.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
The mascots never had any real balance. I don't know what you guys are talking about XD

Gen 2: Lugia, although was Psychic/Flying learned Water attacks naturally giving him a distinctive edge over Ho-oh who was Fire/Flying.

Gen 3: Groundon was weak to Kyogre due to Groudon beinf Ground typed and Kyogre being Water. You can say that ability wise they cancel each other out, but that is situational arguement. If Kyogre is slower than Groudon, Drizzle takes priority giving Kyogre an even further advantage. Even with Sun up, Groudon still taked STAB'd weakness from Kyogre.

Gen 4: Dialga is Steel and Dragon. His type match up gives him a very unique advantage over Palkia as he resists Water due to being part Dragon and his Steel's resistance cancels out his Dragon Weakness. So Dialga is not weak to Dragon attacks. Palkia on the other hand resists Steel due to being a water type, but is weak to Dragon. Dialga has the advantage over Palkia.

Gen 5: The only Generation where the two main mascots do not hinder one another by type or move pool. Electric and fire don't resist one another although Dragon resists both and each resist themselves. Reshiram is weak to more common attack types such as Ground and Rock, while Zekrom has to deal with Ground and Ice. So until Gen 5, the mascots were never on equal footing.

^This is what i was talking about, just less detailed ^^
But Xander is completely right, there has never been a "true" balance between the legendaries...

I've recently watched the trailer again, and i have to say, now that i've seen that mist sourrounding Xerneas again, he really might be an Ice type more likely than i originally thought.
As for Life/Death being a theme, i think It's quite possible, as long as the games talk about it in a symbolic or "kid-friendly" way.

Back