• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My First Team. It's Okay.

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2011
I made a thread a while back about developing a team, and as some of you noticed, I was completely lost in the team building department. I took some advice and downloaded Pokemon Online, so I could just think about my team rather than taking hours upon hours to make it. This is the first team I've made, and I've been producing more wins than losses, which is new for me.

I can't quite add pictures yet. :(

Frosslass @ Choice Scarf
Timid (84HP/84Def/84SpD/252Spe)
Snow Cloak
Trick
Spikes
Ice Beam
Destiny Bond

I'm a little lost on the EV spread on this one... but she's worked out really well, so I'm not overly concerned. I can usually manage to cripple my opponents lead, then set up spikes. By that time I'm usually forced to destiny bond.

Tentacruel @ Water Gem
Calm (252HP/120Def/136SpD)
Liquid Ooze
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Surf
Hidden Power (Ground)

Can usually manage to take a good beating, while setting up toxic spikes, and delivering a good surf.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Timid (4HP/252SpA/252Spe)
Magnet Pull
Thunderbolt
Signal Beam
Hidden Power (Fire)
Substitute

Good special attacker, also a good answer for Scizor, which I've encountered a lot of. I'm not too sure which item I should toss on this set, though.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish (252HP/252Def/4SpD)
Sturdy
Stealth Rock
Roost
Taunt
Brave Bird

Typical Skarmory... I think. Seems to work well.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant (248HP/252Att/8Spe)
Technician
Superpower
Bullet Punch
Aerial Ace
U-Turn

Thinking about changing the EVs to yield a faster Scizor... not really sure, though.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Adamant (4HP/252Att/252Spe)
Blaze
Close Combat
Overheat
Stone Edge
U-Turn

Not really a whole lot to say about this guy...

But yeah, this is my first team. I'm very open to suggestions! It's been performing well, I just feel as if it could be better.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Frosslass @ Choice Scarf
Timid (84HP/84Def/84SpD/252Spe)
Snow Cloak
Trick
Spikes
Ice Beam
Destiny Bond

I'm a little lost on the EV spread on this one... but she's worked out really well, so I'm not overly concerned. I can usually manage to cripple my opponents lead, then set up spikes. By that time I'm usually forced to destiny bond.

I would distribute the EVs like this 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP and give Frosslass a Focus Sash. That way, you don't have to worry about bulk. Then again, the Choice Scarf is good for a Suicide-Lead Frosslass, so it's really up to you.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant (248HP/252Att/8Spe)
Technician
Superpower
Bullet Punch
Aerial Ace
U-Turn

Thinking about changing the EVs to yield a faster Scizor... not really sure, though.

Scizor really likes a Technician boosted Pursuit. I would do that instead of Aerial Ace. Also, Scizor likes lots of Speed and Attack. 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP. But again, it's really up to you.

That's really all I can think of right now.

Good luck!

Amuse

N.E.E.T.
Years
If you´re going to go with the suggestion above for Froslass and give her a sash, then change Trick to Shadow Ball to provide a secondary STAB.
As stated above, Scizor loves Pursuit, but you also may consider Bug Bite for better coverage.

For Tentacruel, I´d change the item to either Leftovers or Black Sludge to recover some HP, as Tentacruel is meant to be a support. Also an EV spread of 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD might be more efficient. You also might wanna consider changing Hidden Power to [Fire] because....Ferrothorn..yea >>;

I´ve never seen Zone run an Air Balloon, that´s an interesting idea but Air Ballon never really worked out for me whenever I used it. I´d highlly recommend an EV spread of 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe for the added bulk that helps with Substitute, and use Leftovers to gain some HP back respectively. You may also want to cosider Charge Beam for another STAB with a chance of boosting your Sp.Atk, or Flash Cannon to deal with Tyranitar and other common threats.

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2011
If you´re going to go with the suggestion above for Froslass and give her a sash, then change Trick to Shadow Ball to provide a secondary STAB.
As stated above, Scizor loves Pursuit, but you also may consider Bug Bite for better coverage.

For Tentacruel, I´d change the item to either Leftovers or Black Sludge to recover some HP, as Tentacruel is meant to be a support. Also an EV spread of 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD might be more efficient. You also might wanna consider changing Hidden Power to [Fire] because....Ferrothorn..yea >>;

I´ve never seen Zone run an Air Balloon, that´s an interesting idea but Air Ballon never really worked out for me whenever I used it. I´d highlly recommend an EV spread of 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe for the added bulk that helps with Substitute, and use Leftovers to gain some HP back respectively. You may also want to cosider Charge Beam for another STAB with a chance of boosting your Sp.Atk, or Flash Cannon to deal with Tyranitar and other common threats.

I don't think I'm going to use the sash on Froslass. I've had a lot of success with the suicide lead so far, I'm really liking it.

I'm going to give that Tentacruel a try. HP Ground has been pretty useless.

I put the air balloon on just because I couldn't think of what else would perform well, and the balloon has saved me on countless occasions. A lot of people just completely forget that Earthquake doesn't do anything.

Last night I was having a couple problems. Once my Tentacruel is out, literally any fire-type can rip through my team. Would swapping Skarmory for another physical wall, such as Rhyperior, be a good option? There's just too much steel as it is.

Amuse

N.E.E.T.
Years
I don't think I'm going to use the sash on Froslass. I've had a lot of success with the suicide lead so far, I'm really liking it.

I'm going to give that Tentacruel a try. HP Ground has been pretty useless.

I put the air balloon on just because I couldn't think of what else would perform well, and the balloon has saved me on countless occasions. A lot of people just completely forget that Earthquake doesn't do anything.

Last night I was having a couple problems. Once my Tentacruel is out, literally any fire-type can rip through my team. Would swapping Skarmory for another physical wall, such as Rhyperior, be a good option? There's just too much steel as it is.

If you want to stick to your Frosslass then you should give it a 4 HP/ 252 Sp.atk / 252 Speed EV spread because the one you have now is just outright useless.

Yep, you have a raging Fire weakness, I would suggest Heatran as he can sponge the hits and get a +1 Attack boost while doing it. A standard set would be:

~Lava Plume
~Toxic
~Substitute / Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice
~Stealth Rock / Roar

With a Calm nature, and the EV spread:
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef.

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2011
If you want to stick to your Frosslass then you should give it a 4 HP/ 252 Sp.atk / 252 Speed EV spread because the one you have now is just outright useless.

Yep, you have a raging Fire weakness, I would suggest Heatran as he can sponge the hits and get a +1 Attack boost while doing it. A standard set would be:

~Lava Plume
~Toxic
~Substitute / Earth Power / Hidden Power Ice
~Stealth Rock / Roar

With a Calm nature, and the EV spread:
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef.

I completely forgot Heatran existed. Thank you, I am going to give him a try!

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
You should use arcanine instead of infernape because it's cuter and fluffier

While it's awesome that new people are coming to rate teams, it'd be helpful if you gave a reason outside of how it looks for something to be used. ;(

I completely forgot Heatran existed. Thank you, I am going to give him a try!

Other viable options for Fire-type resists/immunes: Kingdra, Chandelure, Arcanine. Out of those + Heatran, Arcanine probably fills the role closest to Infernape with Flare Blitz + Close Combat. Kingdra is also an interesting choice with a variety of sets that you may want to try out - it's bulkyish, effective, and has a 4x Fire resist. Plus it gives you a neat tool when you face rain teams. :3

There are other ones too but probably not ones as effective as these.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
Try giving Skarmory Whirlwind, it's helped me when I have that on a Rocker. Also, give Heatran an Air balloon. Didn't notice if it got one, but it's nessacary.

Back