• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Man kicked out of KSA for being "too handsome"

tnfsf11

I saw this once in a website but didn't believe it, soon enough I found it floating all over other news websites but it wasn't confirmed by a "major" one, I thought about sharing it here...
There's not much to it so I'm putting it for you briefly:
Omar Borkan Al Gala, a poet, photographer and actor from Dubai UAE was visiting Riyadh for a cultural festival in the Islamic kingdom, but he and two of his colleagues were asked to leave for being "too handsome" in fear that they would corrupt the country's women.
The Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vices (aka the religious police) believed women would "fall for him" & had him deported back to UAE.
It appears that he was too hot for KSA and Facebook too, later after the incident his Facebook Page was mysteriously removed, after reaching more than 790,000 followers.
I must say as a Muslim I was greatly offended by this, religious authorities in a religious country banning a human being just because the face given to him by God would be spoiling for women, blasphemous.

Picture:
Spoiler:

Thoughts?

Main Sources:
DailyMail.co.uk
Metro.co.uk

Last edited:

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Silly, but the Middle-Eastern countries are "famous" for merging religion and politics to thier convenience. Half of what they do is twisted i.e. this story and the other half is exaggerated i.e. the burkha.

That man is pretty handsome, though :) If they don't want him, he can come to Canada, teehee

tnfsf11

Silly, but the Middle-Eastern countries are "famous" for merging religion and politics to thier convenience.
Tell me about it :P it's their loss anyway hehehe...
So what's that "burkha" you're talking about?

Honest

Hi!
Years
Wasn't this news from about two weeks ago?

Anyway, when I first read it, I actually laughed out loud. I mean, it's like Bell said, the Middle East is known for merging religion and politics, but this was just like whoa. I mean, the dude is pretty dashing, but the thought that he would corrupt the women of the country just makes me shake me head. I feel that it shows how low they hold women when it comes to self control.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Being a quarter Saudi myself, I could tell you some stories that would make your skin crawl. He is lucky he wasn't murdered. Anyway, yeah, it's silly to us. Cultural Frameworks, people.

tnfsf11

So I guess we can all conclude that soon enough men will wear veils as well as women, so they're not "fallen for"...
And speaking of silliness, I have another example ;)

Belldandy

Years
Tell me about it :P it's their loss anyway hehehe...
So what's that "burkha" you're talking about?

Spoiler:

Anyway, if they don't want smexy men in their country, lots of others will procreate with him :P at no additional fee!

tnfsf11

Oh, well thanks for that explanation Belldandy :)
But I must tell you, covering the hair isn't mandatory in Islam, many Islamic authorities in my country years ago said that you don't have to wear Hijab or anything similar as long as you wear suitable clothes that don't grab everyone's attention & have them looking at you inappropriately... And the "shaving hair" part isn't true, I read the Quran each year & I've never stumbled upon a verse that says that women should "explicitly" cover their hair or else shave it, but I guess I'm from the few who still believe in that these days :/

Belldandy

Years
Oh, well thanks for that explanation Belldandy :)
But I must tell you, covering the hair isn't mandatory in Islam, many Islamic authorities in my country years ago said that you don't have to wear Hijab or anything similar as long as you wear suitable clothes that don't grab everyone's attention & have them looking at you inappropriately... And the "shaving hair" part isn't true, I read the Quran each year & I've never stumbled upon a verse that says that women should "explicitly" cover their hair or else shave it, but I guess I'm from the few who still believe in that these days :/

Here a specific one from the Bible (Corinthians somewhere):

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven...

Since head shaving / short hair was considered masculin and thus bad for a women, it was expected that she cover her hair in order to guard her modesty / "honour."

The Qu'ran is a bit more obscure and perhaps based more on interpretation / historical factors and meetings with Christians who observed headscarfs.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." (Qur'an 33:59)

The "outer garments" idea is, like I said, obscure, but given in the time period of Mohammed i.e. 600AD it could very well have included scarves. This interpretation probably carried on into present day where some are very "lenient" i.e. hijab while others are clearly more political about it i.e. burka in order to control women's "jobs" and rights in society.

Pending who you talk to, though, that specific verse can either be very pro-hijab or anti-hijab :)

tnfsf11

Hmm... I agree with that Qur'an is kinda obscure when it comes to some verses like this one, that's why we have some opposing opinions regarding that matter from many major religious authorities.
But anyway the word "Hijab", which was mentioned in Quran, is actually a generic word in Arabic; it means something that covers/hides & not specifically a piece of cloth over the head, however some people may interpret it as a scarf to cover the hair, and others may interpret it as any other piece of cloth that covers a body's parts that weren't meant to be seen.
I believe it's not wrong to not cover one's hair, & wearing Hijab/Burka shouldn't be obligatory by law, as I find wearing them is more of a personal choice; if you find people always looking at your hair & you don't want them to then wear Hijab, if you have a physical deformation in your face & don't want to be noticed then wear Nikab/Burka...etc
And if your hair falls/gets deteriorated by wearing Hijab then don't wear it, I think God made that verse obscure like that so that Muslims aren't restricted to a certain outfit & Islam wasn't supposed to be too restrictive like that...
What do you think?

Last edited:

Belldandy

Years
Definitely agree it shouldn't be a law or enforced by law. Religious interpretation should always be personal and not affected by state matters. Women who wear hijab who may or may not do so out of personal reason would probably feel more liberated if they had the choice to or not to. Just because one is Muslim doesn't mean they interpret the book the same way :) I am very pro "no tight clothing; no cleavage; no buttocks or cracks" but I think the hijab is a tiny bit too much.

That, and I don't feel confident in myself hiding it. It makes me feel ugly + even with my hair showing, I feel ugly, so it'd not work out for me lol However, some women feel empowered wearing hijab; it just shouldn't be a stately matter.

Like Catholics vs. Lutherists. That's how the Protestant Church started 'n all. Anger about how the Catholics interpreted the Bible... Anger how they suckered people into wild taxes or "afterlife" saving documents... Heck, they even sold documents to people trying to save their loved ones after death! Bunch of moneygrubbers they were back in the day lol :P

Anyway, kinda a bit off-topic.

*flitters away*

tnfsf11

Well I liked the discussion even if it was off-topic but I guess it's okay, it keeps the thread alive ;) I actually thought that if the religious police in KSA kept banning men depending on what they look like then men might as well wear Burka :P lol

Belldandy

Years
lol :P Well, men have other restrictions. No jewelery. No showing bare chest. Some places enforce a hat rule, too, and others mandate facial hair (shaving is bad because facial hair is considered "masculine" and thus differentiates men from women).

Still a lot less rules for men than for women, though, given that they're hardcore "men support the women; women bare the children and keep house."

Some new laws are changing that, though, but it's going snail speed.

tnfsf11

Well at least they're changing... They just have to, they can't live in the mood of the old ages anymore, many protests grew in the Middle East during the Arab Spring, could this have intimidated KSA's leader(s)???

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
1-As a middle eastern and Muslim i'd like to tell you something Hejab is different from a girl to another and the one you pointed to isn't the main at all..maybe lots of women wear it specially in gulf area but nothing said it's the main which is till now an opened discussion!

2-we don't shave our heads at all it's otherwise..woman's crown is her hair and the longer the hair is the better..tall,short bald it's up to the woman

3-you people are making fun of traditions...actually i feel proud of it nothing wrong with a woman wears decent clothes unlike the ones who reveal all their bodies like a cheap goods to anyone to look...Muslim woman is like a Jewel she's not exposed to anyone ...nothing wrong with staying virgin till she get married because she saves herself to the one person who wants to spend his life with her. nothing wrong with being moral...making fun of such things is weird cuz if someone should make fun of the other it seems who would now!!

Middle Eastern men are hard headed and sometimes they act by forcing but first not all men second they do because they feel jealous for their women and they don't like anyone to mess with them.

the man in the picture isn't handsome at all i saw better than that way much...and trust me,he's not the handsomest so bleh i'm disappointed

Prophet Joseph used to cover his face when he walks in a place that has women for a man who have half of the universe beauty........and i.e it was even before Islam.

that's all i won't say more ^.^

Belldandy

Years
1-As a middle eastern and Muslim i'd like to tell you something Hejab is different from a girl to another and the one you pointed to isn't the main at all..maybe lots of women wear it specially in gulf area but nothing said it's the main which is till now an opened discussion!

I mentioned that the burka is very specific to certain Middle-Eastern locations, the biggest supporter being Afghanistan. Everywhere else typically wears either the hijab or chador.

2-we don't shave our heads at all it's otherwise..woman's crown is her hair and the longer the hair is the better..tall,short bald it's up to the woman

Yeah, I addressed this. Women's hair is considered feminine and beautiful. Shaving it isn't a preferable course of action (sometimes considered dishonourable), thus the hijab.

3-you people are making fun of traditions...actually i feel proud of it nothing wrong with a woman wears decent clothes unlike the ones who reveal all their bodies like a cheap goods to anyone to look...Muslim woman is like a Jewel she's not exposed to anyone ...nothing wrong with staying virgin till she get married because she saves herself to the one person who wants to spend his life with her. nothing wrong with being moral...making fun of such things is weird cuz if someone should make fun of the other it seems who would now!!

Where was "fun" made? Anony was curious about the religion. I even mentioned in another topic (the "is sex offensive" one) that I am very pro-"covering the body; covering the chest; covering the buttocks" which is the same as Muslim religion (which I observe, mind you) without the head covering. Anony made a point that it isn't specifically stated to wear a head covering, which is why I brought up interpretation. It is not interpretation, however, that dressing modestly is good or bad. It is very clear that dressing modestly is the only route as per Islam, even Christianity and Judaism. There are very good reasons for that, and it's written about in many verses and places in the Bible, Qu'ran, etc.

I, again, support this. Anony can speak for him/herself at this point as I don't know him/her well enough to speak on his/her behalf.

Prophet Joseph used to cover his face when he walks in a place that has women for a man who have half of the universe beauty........and i.e it was even before Islam.

And Joseph is awesome for a reason.

x

Maybe read the whole conversation - not bits and pieces - before jumping on a victim boat :) No one's making "fun" of Muslims. In fact, you ought to be pleased that people want to know more instead of staying ignorant! Ignorance is the unknown, and the unknown is feared. By not being ignorant, people can forget their stereotypes and misunderstandings (leading to hate) about Muslims and, in other circumstances, many other religions, cultures, etc.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
My bad if i misunderstood you but i speaked because Middle east have different countries what's allowed in country could be not allowed in another...Turkey is a middle east and Saudi Arabia is a middle east but look at both!!Totally different,so this is what i meant.

Afghanistan..most of them are radicals and even Islam against that....i never liked how they show Islam.

Christianity and Judaism are Heaven's religions and i believe in them too,i was speaking for my religion i didn't say anything about them..i know that they have to wear decent too but nowadays it's rare believe it or not even some Muslim girls nowadays dress so bad...i think it's not about religion it's about family raise.

well He is..can't wait to go to heaven see him and flirt with him. lol

i read it not all of it but i read enough that some attitude made me feel making fun....though,when i was talking about manners and morals it's because people nowadays consider that old fashion and ridiculous..however,without manners there is no respect at least IMO.

Belldandy

Years
My bad if i misunderstood you but i speaked because Middle east have different countries what's allowed in country could be not allowed in another...Turkey is a middle east and Saudi Arabia is a middle east but look at both!!Totally different,so this is what i meant.

Afghanistan..most of them are radicals and even Islam against that....i never liked how they show Islam.

Christianity and Judaism are Heaven's religions and i believe in them too,i was speaking for my religion i didn't say anything about them..i know that they have to wear decent too but nowadays it's rare believe it or not even some Muslim girls nowadays dress so bad...i think it's not about religion it's about family raise.

well He is..can't wait to go to heaven see him and flirt with him. lol

i read it not all of it but i read enough that some attitude made me feel making fun....though,when i was talking about manners and morals it's because people nowadays consider that old fashion and ridiculous..however,without manners there is no respect at least IMO.

I understand 100% :) No worries! Just wanted to clarify because I know a lot of people target Muslims in slander, but in this case Anony just wanted to know more about it. It's a good thing.

And I totally understand the "old fashion" morality thing. I get that "talk" all the time. Apparently women are liberated by dressing like prostitutes? Western Society IMO is screwed up lol but Afghanistan is the other extreme side of the coin.

Short: Extremists are bad.

The case of this "handsome man" only proves that it's bad, on quite a lesser degree than other bad scenarios :P They just lost a looker!

tnfsf11

I absolutely agree with Belldandy, as a Muslim myself I wouldn't make fun of ANY religion including mine of course, & yes extremists are bad & I only seek moderation because that's what Islam was built on.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
This is ridiculous and is not a result of the Islam religion, it's a result of people bending the law to their will using a convenient excuse and bending religion to justify themselves.

I'm never going to agree with Muslim beliefs, but this doesn't even have anything to do with their religion... It's just stupid people being stupid.

Back