• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Original] products of a mind that wakes in the night

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
products of a mind that wakes in the night

Hi! Lately I've started putting on music late at night and writing, as it's easier now that I have a bunch of free time on my hands. I'm not limited to what my mind-by-day has to offer, and considering it is normally weighed down by responsibility, it doesn't have time to flourish like it does in the dark of the night. I'm going to use this thread as my dump for the stuff I concoct during these hours. I'm not filtering the language much but it isn't too gratuitious - I'd like to think that curse words and words that some find vulgar in every day interactions can act as characterizing traits, especially in short pieces where you aren't overexposed to a character's portrait. If someone speaks particularly obscenely, you need to see that in the small corridor of time that you're in their universe, and as such that will be exhibited in my writing. So if you're sensitive to common curse words, I suggest that you do not read some of what I write. It is not meant to offend, nor is it meant to be careless exhibitions of "inappropriate" language - it's just another thing.

I do hope you can take away something from what's written here, or that you enjoy it. If you do enjoy, let me know! If you don't enjoy, let me know that, too. I'm not trying to please anyone, of course, but I want to know what in particular you like and what you don't like to satisfy my own curious nature. Thanks!

Table of Contents

I. your god gave birth to an atheist in your livingroom
II. there are only so many ways to say i miss you

Last edited:

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
your god gave birth to an atheist in your livingroom

Jamison, the least altruistic of the trio sitting around a table topped with several empty near-empty beer cans and a plate of half-eaten jalapeño poppers, aggressively swept the cans off the table. They clattered to the floor with a chorus of clangs that incited the gritting of Mikel's teeth. Jamison sat on the edge of the table and swept his legs across it so his body was occupying most of the tabletop.

"Let's chew on this a bit more pragmatically, because to be frank, you both make me want to guzzle lemon Pledge," Jamison chided.

"What's pragmatic about the way you've invaded my coffee table's personal space?" Mikel retorted through his teeth grinding.

"It's not about our actions right now. The way that we talk to each other - not what we do with our bodies concurrently - will dictate how this conversation goes down. We could be juggling fucking flaming unicorns while balancing on a unicycle for all I care; I'm all ears if what you've got to say isn't complete drivel."

"You're being a bit dramatic, Jamison, aren't you?" Grant asked from the love seat opposite Jamison.

"You've got a double major in theatre and creative writing, so don't come for me for being dramatic." Jamison downed the contents of his beer can and toyed with the tab with his index finger. "By the standards you're supposedly meant to be setting by flexing those degrees of yours, we should all dare to express our creativity more often."

Grant cast his eyes into a deep roll into the back of his head, his arms crossing in front of him defensively. "I'm not telling you not to be dramatic - I mean, do what you want, I guess - but can you not make a mess of the place while you're at it?"

"Yeah, I really don't want Ben getting on my ass for this..." Mikel began, gazing absently at the mess strewn across the tile floor.

"Uh huh, and at what point, Mikel, during your failing marriage did you become a spineless vagina?"

"Excuse me?"

"God, you heard me. Or does everything other people say have to be filtered by Ben first before it registers in your little brain?"

"Jamison, you need to leave," Mikel snapped, beginning to stand.

"Fuck me, have I offended? That wasn't my intention, I forget that some people have boundaries. Though, with most people it's religion, but with you I guess it's the caustic relationship that's built walls around you that you refuse to conquer despite your friends insisting time and time again that it's in your best interest to do so."

"You need to leave both my religion and relationship out of your mouth."

"But I've only just scraped the surfaces! If I recall, you're of the opinion that your religion is the truest, that your God is the greatest, and that your beliefs are incontrovertible. Is that right?"

"Jamison," Grant started, but Jamison is already continuing.

"Regardless of what your Sunday school teachers taught you, the creation of gods was no contrived incident; each and every one just happened. Not by accident or coincidence, of course, but they were not drawn or sculpted, nor were they idealized or fabricated. The Christian God simply was, and because He was once, so He was thereafter. That is, until His existence wasn't enough for other creative minds, and so other gods became. The method by which religion is founded is nothing short of earthly, despite how much you want to believe the musings in your 2,000-year-old Anne Frank-esque fictional recounting of a 30-year-old middle eastern man inventing the placebo effect. All spiritual notions in these stories are a reflection, a shadow, a marionette of what exists purely in our heads."

The room fell quiet. Mikel was fuming, but staring at his thumbs as they twiddled around each other aimlessly. Grant's face had turned a rosy red and he was gnawing his bottom lip raw. In the absence of a response, Jamison carried on.

"We have historically searched and searched for truths, for it is a symptom of the human condition to be inquisitive, to seek thorough knowledge, to more deeply understand all that ever was, is, and ever will be. We want to stretch our minuscule brains far beyond capacity so that we can desperately grasp for unfathomable reaches."

Jamison reached across the table, poking around the discarded beer cans in search of any residual drippings. He drained the cans within reach, picked at the burnt crumbs on the plate between his legs, and idly stroked his chin scruff. Grant reached for his lip, pulling away a bloody finger. He blinked. Mikel on the other hand had ceased blinking.

"Yet," Jamison continued with a breathy chuckle, "we fall short in uncovering truth from the writing of our forefathers beyond what's printed now on pages that was originally scribed against papyrus, stone, and dirt. Some argue that it's a virtue - the "marvel of historical preservation!" - but some will instead insist that it is a marvelous work of fiction, a grandstanding example of what the mind will construct when exposed to moments of peril and stress through which there is no passage except through oneself or, even better, a higher entity that will offer alternative salvation if we just... pray, or don't eat for a month, or sacrifice our other favorite stuff as repayment."

Mikel kept his head down for several seconds after Jamison stopped talking before finally murmuring, "I never went to Sunday school."

"I know, because otherwise you would have spent this time praying yourself out of that situation and I'd be a pile of cinders on your coffee table. Then again, that's just another mess you'd have to clean up before Ben comes home."

exeunt

Bay

Years
Hi there, thought I would drop by. =)

This is an interesting little piece you have there. How the characters went from cleaning to relationships to religion did threw me off at first, but sometimes conversations can jump topics like that. Don't know if you'll bring them back for more stories, but if you do I don't mind seeing them again as their interactions were interesting even with this being very short. Mentions of Mikel's failing relationship and Grant a double major in art and theater had me curious about them. Looking forward to more what you came up with!

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Hi there, thought I would drop by. =)

This is an interesting little piece you have there. How the characters went from cleaning to relationships to religion did threw me off at first, but sometimes conversations can jump topics like that. Don't know if you'll bring them back for more stories, but if you do I don't mind seeing them again as their interactions were interesting even with this being very short. Mentions of Mikel's failing relationship and Grant a double major in art and theater had me curious about them. Looking forward to more what you came up with!

I appreciate the comment!

The fleeting action in the passage is explained here:
It's not about our actions right now. The way that we talk to each other - not what we do with our bodies concurrently - will dictate how this conversation goes down. We could be juggling fucking flaming unicorns while balancing on a unicycle for all I care; I'm all ears if what you've got to say isn't complete drivel.
I wanted to contrast what was being done - mindless messing around with the environment or bodies - with what was being said - thoughtful, drunken inter/introspection, which I think is a realistic portrayal of actual late night get togethers like this. People have no filter, feelings are hurt, things happen.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
there are only so many ways to say i miss you

It was a sadness like I'd never before experienced. Not that I've had many troubling times to compare it to, given that I've never really been "happy." But this was something else. My state of existence was, emotionally, rather disparate. And maybe that's why I had virtually no friends. Because I couldn't relate to them on an emotional level. Something that devastated everyone else would soar right over my head. I was an enigma to all, though many didn't pay me half the attention a Sunday crossword demanded.

I recall a time when our class pet, an awkward, one-legged chicken, had succumbed to its mutant degeneration. The kids that I was closest with -- and that isn't saying much, considering everyone was your friend in the fourth grade if you could run fast or draw a car that didn't look like a broken nose -- were torn up about it for days. One girl I knew drowned herself in a pool of tears; another boy raved on and on about it to his mom. And my mom. And everyone else's moms.

I just watched, listened. No tears, and certainly no anguish.

Even the things that should have allowed for a clear, happy head space to a young kid -- birthday parties, roller skating -- were duly unimpressive. I escaped in the night to my fair share of carnivals, as they were marginally more substantial, but in the end, nothing changed. My father left behind a void somewhere deep inside that nothing could even begin to fill. My mother dared to passively suggest at one point that a pint of Rocky Road "went a long way." What kind of 1980s Molly Ringwald fantasy is she living in?

This was a new pain and my body was wrought with a displeasure that I didn't enjoy in the slightest. Adversely, I'd always thought that I'd be relieved to see my father go. That I'd be over the moon about not having to wake up before him in the morning to pour him his dirty coffee. That I'd be elated about not having to clear his pill bottles, sans the pills, from the living room and kitchen tables daily. He refused to keep his abuse local to his study, where he spent most of his shameful days anyway despite my protests.

But then, what is there to protest now?

The days following promised disappointment. There was nobody left to expect anything from me. There would be no more clients coming in and out of the house to whom I could appear malcontent. My mom and aunt remained to receive my scorn, but only from afar. While my mother didn't deserve commiserations, she also didn't deserve any more mistreatment than she was dealing to herself. Plus, both of them were in my life even less-so than my father. Before he died.

Did I mention he was dead? Only once before now have I articulated that phrase with such finality: my father is dead. Death is so unforgiving that I'm surprised it's been so difficult for me to handle, what with my "lack of compassion for anyone" but myself, as my mother would have put it. How fucking ironic it is that these words could flee the lips of a woman that condoned abandonment and substance abuse. Not of her own, but I can count on three hands the amount of times that she sat idly by while these things were happening.

And now my father is dead. How easy would it be to suffocate such thoughts, such empty aforementioned feelings Vicodin and Svedka as my father did? Then maybe someone would cry for me, or write about me, or deliver an improvised eulogy at my funeral. If it was decided by those that claimed to love me that I deserved a funeral.

My father didn't get a funeral, so why should I?

exeunt

Bay

Years
Hm, sounds like the narrator has a complicated relationship with their parents, especially their father. I can understand having this feeling where you thought you might be "good ridence" over someone's death if you don't particularly care about them, but then the reality of them actually dead hits you. Part of me think perhaps you can go a bit more detail how abusive the narrator's father was, showing perhaps for instance the narrator cringed whenever his father speaks/wants him to clear his pills. Hope this makes sense, heh. A heavy piece but I still enjoy it very much.

Back