• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Idea] PokeCommunity League

Katastrophe

I feel infinite.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
pclbantemp.png

What is the PokeCommunity League?
The PokeCommunity League, or PCL, is designed to be a competitive league held over Pokemon Online. Although the structure of this league is up to debate, I'll be discussing my suggestions below. This thread is a prototype, more or less. Everything is kind of... randomly explained and is open to debate. If enough people are interested, I will look to move and complete it.

How does it work?
Everything below is simply my suggestion and is entirely open to debate. Rather then be based like the Indigo League from the anime (beat 8 gym leaders and you're allowed to enter a tournament), I decided to structure it more like an actual... prolonged competition.

The PCL will start with an Open Seeding round, and this will continue for an extended time - probably 2 to 3 months. During this time, you may battle any participant you want and battle as many times as you want. Players will be required to edit a post on a "Score Keeper" thread and record all of their wins, loses, and scores. Every week (probably on Sunday), I'll update a primary post where these players will be ranked into "seeds", just to chart your progress. This will be done based on your Win/Lose ratio. In order to make this list, you must have played at least 10 games. This is just to prevent people from starting off good and then not playing again.

At the end of this Open Seeding, there will be a seeded, double elimination tournament bracket. You will need to have played a set number of matches to qualify for this, probably like... 3-5 for every week the Open Seeding was done so... two months open seeding would be 24-40 battles in a 2 month period. You can do all 40 of these in a day and sit pretty for the rest of the seeding process, if you want.

Winning this double elimination bracket will get you... something. I'll think of some prize. There'll be runner-up prizes, I'm sure. I'll cross this bridge when I get there.

Again, this will be held entirely over Pokemon Online, so that it requires NO time to train and breed the exact Pokemon you need. I will be provided step-by-step guides for how to install and use Pokemon Online on all operating systems. Or at least Windows and Mac... I think Linux uses the same method as Mac...

What exactly is seeding?
Seeding is the term given to the process of determining your ranking at a given time. This will be done based on your win/lose ratio, as well as the gap by which you win if there's a tie. So if you play 10 games and win 6, you'll have a 0.6 win/lose ratio. This means you'll be seeded higher then those with an 0.59 ratio, but lower then those with a 0.61 ratio. If you and someone else have the same 0.6 win/lose ratio, but you're winning your games by an average of 4-0 and he's winning by an average of 2-0, then you'll be seeded higher. This is solely for the purpose of seeing a temporary ranking system as well as for determining your place in the bracket at the end.

How will the bracket work?
I'll be arranging all who qualify into a standard tournament bracket based on their seed. The #1 Seed will start off against the lowest seed, the #2 against the second lowest, and so on. Because it's a double elimination bracket, after losing your first match, you'll be dropped into the loser's bracket. From here, you cannot lose another match or you're out. The winner of the first bracket (winner's bracket) will then battle the winner of the loser's bracket for the championship. If they've met before, they will play the best 2/3, with the previous winner leading at 1-0.

What about time zones and availability?
The two people assigned to battle in this bracket tournament are responsible for determining a time, with moderation. If you cannot determine a time, you'll be moved - if possible. Obviously, I will not force people to stay up/wake up at ungodly hours just to play a game. If no battle is done within a set period of time and I haven't been contacted, you'll both be disqualified. If you refuse to play a match (in the bracket) or are unresponsive without previous notice, you'll be disqualified and your opponent will advance.

How do we make a team?
Upon registering, you'll need to submit 10 Pokemon with your application. You only need to give their species. During the course of the seeding round, you may use any of these 10 Pokemon with any set of EVs, Items, and moves. At the end of the seeding process, you'll be required to submit a full team of 6 for the bracket tournament. You will be allowed 2 alternates that you may switch for between battles. The moves, EVs, and items on these cannot change. Your alternate MAY be the same species as another Pokemon with a different build, but you may not have more then one of the same species on a team. Consider the seeding round a test round to get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

What rules will be used?
Sleep Clause: Two or more of your opponent's Pokemon cannot be put to sleep by you at any given time. If your opponent uses Rest, however, this does not count.
Evasion Clause: Moves the lower/increase a Pokemon's Evasion and/or Accuracy may not be used, such as Sand-Attack.
Species Clause: You may not have two or more of the same species on a team at any time. This rules does not extend to alternates for the bracket tournament. However, if you switch in one of these alternates, the other Pokemon of that species must be switched. For example, if you have a Calm Mind Suicine build and then a RestTalk Suicine build as an alternate, you cannot have both Suicines on your active team at the same time.
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned. Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, and Sheer Cold are these moves. Do not use them.
Self-KO Clause: You may not use suicide move such as Explosion if it will result in the battle ending in a tie. You will be considered the loser.
Uber Clause: You may not use any of the following Pokemon: Arceus, Blaziken, Darkrai, Deoxys-A, Deoxys, Dialga, Garchomp, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Lugia, Manaphy, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Zekrom, Genosect*, Keldeo*, Meleotta*. Those marked with *s are simply banned because they cannot be legitimately obtained yet in the game.
Luck Clause: You may not use any item that effects luck, as listed: Brightpowder, Focus Band, Lax Incense, Lucky Punch, Quick Claw, Razor Claw, Razor Fang, Scope Lense, Stick.
Ability Clause: The ability "Moody" cannot be used. You may also not have Pokemon with the ability "Drizzle" on the same team as a Pokemon with "Swift Swim".

Other suggestions?

o1. Do you prefer the Open Seeding and bracket tournament, or would you rather just have gym leaders that, after beating all of them, qualify you for a bracket tournament? This can be done in a shorter amount of time, but also requires making sure the gym leaders are constantly active.

o2. Should this allow Uber Pokemon in anyway, such as allowing 1 Uber per team?

o3. Should there be an item clause to ban multiple uses of the same item (multiple leftovers)?

o4. I'm open to other suggestions. As I stated, this is just a prototype for my desire to organize a constant league for competitive play. This may, with time, hopefully set a standard for where people in the community stand amongst one another to hopefully create more fair and balanced tournaments.

Supporters:
Spoiler:

If you support this idea, simply say so below. I'm trying to see just how many people would be interested in this.

Last edited:

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
If I were a little bit better at battling I would probably do this. It looks like a good idea to me. Actually, I might as well join for the heck of it. I'm not quite sure of how to sign up for the open seeding round, but when it starts I'll be sure to try not to be beaten by everyone.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
one question before i post anything else, is this the official league for pc, or a league runned by member(s)? since you mentioned on po that the name is a placeholder.

Katastrophe

I feel infinite.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
If I were a little bit better at battling I would probably do this. It looks like a good idea to me. Actually, I might as well join for the heck of it. I'm not quite sure of how to sign up for the open seeding round, but when it starts I'll be sure to try not to be beaten by everyone.

Currently, because I'm not a mod and it wasn't approved by one, it's just in the idea/suggestion phase. But that's exactly why I kind of prefer the "open seeding round" because it allows everyone to battle anyone they want and it'll provide a ranking system so they know who to try and avoid. xD

one question before i post anything else, is this the official league for pc, or a league runned by member(s)? since you mentioned on po that the name is a placeholder.

Ideally, I'd like help from PC if not only just for better organization. As I said in my PM, I'm not against doing the vast majority of the grunt work myself. This is definitely not a "here's my idea, now go do it for me" kind of deal. I'm open to either or - I just think that if PC backs it, it has a better chance for success. I don't really have a desire to compete in it, myself - I'm too nubby, for now. I'm far more interested in regulating it.

edit; It was my hopes to also incorporate this with the new tutoring/class program you guys have started, if possible. Just as an... application to apply what has been learned.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I only briefly read it so I might've missed the finer details but this idea sounds totally awesome and I'd be in if it got off. :)

Anti

return of the king
Years
The only suggestion I have is to make the tournament single elimination. Double elimination might be worth it, IDK, but my experience with double elimination has mostly been added battles that aren't really necessary. If it is a small tournament though, it probably doesn't matter. If it goes above 16 people though, you're probably looking at something a bit chaotic.

I may just be old-fashioned though...

Katastrophe

I feel infinite.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
The only suggestion I have is to make the tournament single elimination. Double elimination might be worth it, IDK, but my experience with double elimination has mostly been added battles that aren't really necessary. If it is a small tournament though, it probably doesn't matter. If it goes above 16 people though, you're probably looking at something a bit chaotic.

I may just be old-fashioned though...
Yeah, I didn't know which would fit best... I just usually prefer double elimination because it makes for a great underdog story... xD But yeah, it would depend on how many people would qualify... or, at this rate, participate. :P

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
This looks like a pretty good idea, although I was skim reading most of it :C If it happens, I'm in! n_n

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 6, 2020
I would prefer a best of three tournament instead of double elimination and to have the rules match those of CBC. Ie: Remove Luck Clause.

Back