• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Reaction]Microsoft stops supports on XP

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
I heard the news last sunday that, Microsoft will stop supporting windows XP. Here's the full news.
Spoiler:

So whats your reaction to this? Is it okay for you? :/

Last edited:

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
"There's no better time than now to get a new Windows 8.1 PC"
Typical words coming from a Microsoft employee.

"If you can't afford non-stop Internet, there is another Console called Xbox 360", Don said.
"If you don't like Windows Vista, the only choice you have is to go to Windows 7", Steve said.
"If Microsoft Works is to limited for you, you can also choose Microsoft Office", another employee said.
"Linux doesn't exist, Android is crap, iOS should not exist, Mac can't do anything, Nintendo only loves gimmicks, PlayStation is for wankers", the average Microsoft employee says.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I don't expect software companies to support their own software for an extremely long period of time. Windows XP is over a decade old at this point, and would be about 12.5 years old at the point it ceases to be supported.

After the end of official support, while things will start working for quite a while, it probably wouldn't take too long for applications to start dropping support for the aging OS.

I'm actually quite amazed by how long XP managed to held on. One thing I do know, though, is that when Windows XP was released, there's a lot of things that simply didn't exist in 2001. The personal computing landscape sure is different after 12 years, eh?

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
Yep, I'm using Windows XP and if MineCraft stops support on XP I'll be hecka happy so my brother doesn't download MineCraft Cracked alot in my Comp...... :D

LOL! Haha. Thats a real botherment eh. But who knows, minecraft will upgrade and will now be supported by windows 7 or 8. Haha :S ^^

I don't expect software companies to support their own software for an extremely long period of time. Windows XP is over a decade old at this point, and would be about 12.5 years old at the point it ceases to be supported.

After the end of official support, while things will start working for quite a while, it probably wouldn't take too long for applications to start dropping support for the aging OS.

I'm actually quite amazed by how long XP managed to held on. One thing I do know, though, is that when Windows XP was released, there's a lot of things that simply didn't exist in 2001. The personal computing landscape sure is different after 12 years, eh?

True! And XP supports more apps and is more user friendly. ^^
It is quit really a disappointment though :S

"There's no better time than now to get a new Windows 8.1 PC"
Typical words coming from a Microsoft employee.

"If you can't afford non-stop Internet, there is another Console called Xbox 360", Don said.
"If you don't like Windows Vista, the only choice you have is to go to Windows 7", Steve said.
"If Microsoft Works is to limited for you, you can also choose Microsoft Office", another employee said.
"Linux doesn't exist, Android is crap, iOS should not exist, Mac can't do anything, Nintendo only loves gimmicks, PlayStation is for wankers", the average Microsoft employee says.

Yup. But you know, windows 7 is better than 8 for me, honestly. >_>

If your planning to upgrade your XP, upgrade it to 7, not to 8. Windows 7 is much better than 8 today though.

Last edited:

AwesomeRob

Congrats!
Years
I'm fine with this. It was a great operating system, but all good things come to an end.
Besides, I like Windows 7 better anyway.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think Microsoft have supported Windows xp long enough, and I think xp has been in here for over 10 years. Even though I see that Microsoft is getting better on its current OS (like Windows 8), I'll miss Windows xp if Microsoft dropped its support soon, it is one of my fave OS of all time, after all.

GreyVirgo

•=ØInfinityØ=•
Years
LOL! Haha. Thats a real botherment eh. But who knows, minecraft will upgrade and will now be supported by windows 7 or 8. Haha :S ^^

I know it is.... I'm not a MineCraft fan boy now but soon I'll be upgrading to Windows 7 as my This Computer I'm using right now (main) is getting soooo slow.... But I won't be downloading Minecraft........ Mwahahahaha!

Years
I've known since like 2010 or 2011 that extended support for Windows XP was going away in 2014, and it really shouldn't be a surprise, considering all operating systems do eventually lose life support. It just so happened to be that many people loved Windows XP when it came out in 2001, but hated Windows Vista, which was why I assume a third service pack was issued for XP in 2008, just two years after the release of Vista.

XP can't do a whole lot of things anymore that Windows 7 can do, sadly. As primary operating systems evolve, so do requirements.

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
Its true that Microsoft will end their support on XP, but that doesnt mean your XP cannot be longer use, it will only be not supported by microsoft - no updates, etc.

Years
Its true that Microsoft will end their support on XP, but that doesnt mean your XP cannot be longer use, it will only be not supported by microsoft - no updates, etc.
Yes, that's true.. but then that just makes things easier to get hacked since no more updates means no more new security patches.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
To put things in perspective: pretty much the only other Windows release that somehow stayed alive in some form for an unusually long amount of time was Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (a freaking 3.1x release). Granted, it's for embedded systems by 2001, but it did what it had to do :)

Makes me wonder what will happen to 7.

Speaking of unusually long support and extensions... Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, and Me got extensions at 2004 so they live until 2006 :) Their support were originally supposed to expire at 2004, but turns out there's too many users using these three OSes.

Also, they somehow kept pumping out IE versions until 5.0 for 3.1x back then.

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
To put things in perspective: pretty much the only other Windows release that somehow stayed alive in some form for an unusually long amount of time was Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (a freaking 3.1x release). Granted, it's for embedded systems by 2001, but it did what it had to do :)

Makes me wonder what will happen to 7.

Speaking of unusually long support and extensions... Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, and Me got extensions at 2004 so they live until 2006 :) Their support were originally supposed to expire at 2004, but turns out there's too many users using these three OSes.

Also, they somehow kept pumping out IE versions until 5.0 for 3.1x back then.

Haha! {XD}
Hope XP will follow the line :S

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
It really is a disappointment, but what needs to happen must happen. Windows XP revolutionized the personal computing scene for all manner of people, but unfortunately its really past its time. Windows 8 isn't too bad either, though. It just takes some getting usedf to and Start Menu 8, because screw Metro.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I already knew Microsoft will stop supporting XP like...three years ago or so. :P It's reasonable, though. XP is vulnerable to more threats than the most recent OS like 7 or 8. I'm actually ready to put it in the grave, and treat it as an OS of nostalgia. It's also an urge for people and businesses that use XP to like......UPGRADE ALREADY because wow windows 8.1 came out and you're still using a 10 year old OS are you NUTS?

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
Wait...this is news?

XP needs to die. It's far, far outstayed its welcome. It's very vulnerable and ugly compared to today's operating systems. 7 and 8 beat XP in every category, IMO.

Years
I've known about the support phase-out for XP since they announced it, what 3 years ago? No, wait, maybe it was 4. I know it was at least 2 years ago, and I think they announced the phase-out plan shortly after Windows 7 was released.

It's about time. I mean, the last Service Pack (Service Pack 3) is already 5 years old and the core OS is 12 years old. Maybe it'll finally push everyone to stop using the buggy OS.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
I say it's about time that they ax support of Windows XP. It's been around since 2001, and we've seen 4 OS changes since then. I really don't see why you would still be using Windows XP at this stage unless your computer is old and can't support newer operating systems. The best thing to do right now is switch to the latest and greatest that Microsoft has to offer with respect to desktop operating systems, and that is Windows 8. I would say 8.1, but from personal experience as well as stories that I'm hearing, it's kinda buggy at this stage and might need a bit of refinement before I can fully recommend it.

I think one of the reasons that people are reluctant to switch to the newer operating systems is the fear of change, which is understandable. After all, Windows 8 represents a dramatic overhaul in the user interface for Windows and is trying to bridge the gap between computer and tablet. In my opinion, though, I don't think that the changes between Windows XP and Windows 8 are all that dramatic, and the regular user can easily adapt to Windows 8 as long as they live within the desktop.

Back