• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2013
Fennikin for the win! I love foxes so to have another fox pokemon added is awesome! I always loved Vulpix now I can have another fox Pokemon with me! I wonder what it's evolutions will be like. I hope it looks super awesome! I really can't wait for this game!

Flydro

doobz
Years
I'm late to this conversation, but I love Fennekin! He's so cute, and despite reminding me of Kyubei from Madoka Magica and Vulpix, I think he's the best of the starter group. Chespin is alright, but like some have said, it's pose and design seems to be recycled, notably from Oshawott/Turtwig, but it's still pretty cool. Froakie is the worst looking starter since Torchic, in my opinion. It's design is just... off. So estranged.

Fennekin isn't really all that. If you wanna talk about recycled then Fennekin def qualifies the most. Yet another fox pokemon after we already have Eevee (who evolves into 837456858474 different foxes), Zorua and VULPIX. Design wise there's just nothing that special about it for me, it just looks like a fire type Zorua imo. I think a lot of people are hyped up over Fennekin just because it's cute or whatever but I hope it becomes something much different from the other foxes so I have a reason to want to choose it. Personally I usually favor the fire starter but this time around it's my last choice. Despite what most people seem to feel about it, I still think Froakie looks the coolest.

I thought Torchic's design was very well done though, it was simple but left a lot of room for it to develop cooler features as it evolved. Now look at Blaziken.

Worst starters for me were Gen 5. I didn't think it was possible but I dislike all three starters. All of their evolutions were really crappy stat wise, and I hated the designs. Why didn't Serperior lose it's useless little hands when it lost it's feet to become a snake? Why does Emboar look so overdesigned with gold swirls around it's body? And WHY is Samurott a quadruped when it evolves from a bipedal otter that is supposed to be a samurai? None of it makes sense to me, which is why I can't see myself playing the Gen 5 games anytime soon or at all. Hopefully they make up for it this time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2013
Lol I signed just to reply to that one account but I read it wrong. Oh well I voted for Froakie. I think it looks something new we haven't seen before. Unlike Fennekin that looks pretty unoriginal. Chespin is my second favorite. It looks cool too. It goes like this. Froakie>>Chespin>>>>>Fennekin

Years
Froakie might evolve into a water/ice type. Yes, many non-ice water types are able to use ice moves, but why would GF decided to showcase him using an ice-move?

froakie-ice.jpg

Then, Fennekin might be a Fire/Rock, given the assumption it will be a desert fox.

Then, Chespin the brown GROUNDHOG, could possibly be...a ground typing!

This would give an unfair typing to fennekin, but still there would be some secondary typing triad.
(I hope they scrap the secondary typing though like in second generation)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Froakie might evolve into a water/ice type. Yes, many non-ice water types are able to use ice moves, but why would GF decided to showcase him using an ice-move?

froakie-ice.jpg

Then, Fennekin might be a Fire/Rock, given the assumption it will be a desert fox.

Then, Chespin the brown GROUNDHOG, could possibly be...a ground typing!

This would give an unfair typing to fennekin, but still there would be some secondary typing triad.
(I hope they scrap the secondary typing though like in second generation)
I thought that was water gun.

I want them to have secondary types...but maybe one of them will get left behind like in Generation 3 (not 1 as Bulbasaur was already duel type to begin with) in which Sceptile didn't get Dragon as it's secondary typing...yeah that frog shouldn't be dragon (whoever it was who said that), Sceptile and Serperior deserved it more!

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, I read on serebii that Nintendo has confirmed that the types of Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie will be pure Grass, Fire and Water respectively, sooo I guess they are going to stick to tradition for the primary starters to be a pure type in that regard.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
Years
Yes, but that could simply be referring to their base forms being pure in typing, not their final forms.

Guy

just a guy
Years
What a waste the new starters are single type trollfreak does it again
Other than Bulbasaur, the starter's first stage has always been a pure Fire, Water, and Grass type. It's usually when they evolve that they might have a second type. So, as was mentioned earlier, just because it's revealed that Fennekin, Froakie, and Chespin are all one type, it doesn't necessarily mean their evolutions might be.

Is it just me or does Feenekin look a little like Zorua?
One could argue that Fennekin looks similar to Zorua, Vulpix, and even Eevee.

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
Well, you're taking the Horsea and the Trapinch lines out of context, though. Kingdra is based off of a leafy seadragon... does that ring a bell? And leafy seahorses are in the Syngnathidae, which also includes seahorses, so Horsea evolving into a Dragon type makes absolute perfect sense. It's not like dragons are a real animal, so Gamefreak has the artistic license to say which real-world animals qualify as dragons. Besides, its name is the leafy seadragon.

And Trapinch is designed to represent the antlion. I'm not sure if antlions are related to dragonflies, but adult antlions sort of look like dragonflies—again, dragonflies. 'Dragon' is in the freaking name.

I'm not saying I oppose Froakie becoming part Dragon, though. I think it'd be pretty cool, actually.

I actually already knew that. However, in the Pokémon world, "dragons" aren't always what become Dragon types. For example, Gible's and its evolutions are mostly based on land sharks. That doesn't necessarily scream Dragon to me. Inversely, Gyarados, which is clearly based on Dragons is NOT a Dragon type. So, you see, not every typing makes absolute sense. I'm not saying Froakie would definitely be Water/Dragon, simply that I would accept it if Pokémon made an amphibian-based Pokémon into a Dragon type because Amphibians do share enough similarities with reptiles (I mean in their appearance. I do know the differences biologically) that it'd be justifiable.

ClumzyTrainR13

Storm Caster
Years
Man, I can't believe the Water type starter! Honestly, I always pick the water type starter every time i play a pokemon game, and that will never change, but that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed! What happened to the awesome water types like Oshawott, Squirtle, and Piplup?! Not to be unkind or anything, but I just wish that they would've put more effort into Froakie. Besides that though, Fennekin and Chespin look awesome!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
What a waste the new starters are single type trollfreak does it again

Gamefreak never hinted or said that they were anything other than the basic starter types. Only thing we have to go by are three attacks that they used as hints. We've never had a 3D main game so we don't know what those attacks were. They could be like the ones developed by Genius Sonoroty or Creatures Inc, but I doubt that and suspect Gamefreak designed the attacks themselves. Chespin used what we "think" is a dark attack which is why a lot of fans think he'll be Grass/Dark by final evolution. A lot of Dark Attacks can be freely learned though. If it was Faint Attack, that attack isn't exclusive to Dark Types and is quite common on a few mammal based Pokemon.

Fennekin uses an unknown "Psychic" attack. Some say they think its Confuse Ray, some say Psywave. We don't know. Only thing argueing against Confuse Ray is it looks like Kirlia took damage, though, all of them were shown to be against a Pokemon that the second attack could have been super effective against. We also don't know if Pokemon will look like they take damage when hit by "Other" attacks.

Last is Froakie. Based on what I said earlier, it looks like he used a Fighting attack by most. Though some think it could have been Quick Attack/Fury Attack. Again these attacks were most likely scratch designed by Gamefreak so we don't know what they look like or how the Pokemon look when hit by the attacks.

If its the used stronger pairing, the Chespin used Dark because Ghost is weak to Dark, Fennekin used a Ghost attack because Psychic is weak to Ghost, and Froakie used Fighting attack because Patrat (Normal) is weak to fighting.

leaving the possibility that their final types are Grass/Dark, Fire/Ghost, and Water/Fighting. All of this is subjective...and honestly coincidental as, like I said...we don't know what the attacks are. They may not be the types we think they are and the second attacks don't have to have anything to do with their typing. We always tend to over think these things.

As for the attack Froakie used in the video, despite there being a snowflake looking design in it, its Water gun/Hydropump, not an Ice attack.

Man, I can't believe the Water type starter! Honestly, I always pick the water type starter every time i play a pokemon game, and that will never change, but that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed! What happened to the awesome water types like Oshawott, Squirtle, and Piplup?! Not to be unkind or anything, but I just wish that they would've put more effort into Froakie. Besides that though, Fennekin and Chespin look awesome!

Froakie is freakin awesome! What is wrong with you man? XD

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
Fennekin isn't really all that. If you wanna talk about recycled then Fennekin def qualifies the most. Yet another fox pokemon after we already have Eevee (who evolves into 837456858474 different foxes), Zorua and VULPIX. Design wise there's just nothing that special about it for me, it just looks like a fire type Zorua imo. I think a lot of people are hyped up over Fennekin just because it's cute or whatever but I hope it becomes something much different from the other foxes so I have a reason to want to choose it. Personally I usually favor the fire starter but this time around it's my last choice. Despite what most people seem to feel about it, I still think Froakie looks the coolest.

Its still not completely known what exactly Eevee is based on. It could be a fox, cat, dog, whatever. However, there is a theory (one that I prescribe to) that Eevee is based on a Tanuki, which is a mythical version of the Japanese raccoon dog and is able to transform into many different shapes. So, Eevee is not entirely based on foxes.

Likewise, Vulpix and Zorua are based on Kitsune, which are fox demons from Japanese folklore, while Fennekin (so far) looks to be based on just a regular fennec fox.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Speaking of Eevee, it came across to me as a pet-type, though I was thinking of a sort of cat.

As for the above-mentioned Tanuki, here's one:

Spoiler:

Don't see the resemblance so much.

Cyclone

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years

I thought Torchic's design was very well done though, it was simple but left a lot of room for it to develop cooler features as it evolved. Now look at Blaziken.

Worst starters for me were Gen 5. I didn't think it was possible but I dislike all three starters. All of their evolutions were really crappy stat wise, and I hated the designs. Why didn't Serperior lose it's useless little hands when it lost it's feet to become a snake? Why does Emboar look so overdesigned with gold swirls around it's body? And WHY is Samurott a quadruped when it evolves from a bipedal otter that is supposed to be a samurai? None of it makes sense to me, which is why I can't see myself playing the Gen 5 games anytime soon or at all. Hopefully they make up for it this time.

Eh, it's all really opinion. I don't see any of the starters to be "recycled", but depending on somebody's viewpoint, they all could be.

Likewise, in terms of my own personal tastes the first generation had the worst starters by far (and the worst Pokemon in general, period), but that's just me! And Samurott makes a great samurai, as far as I'm concerned. But you could've imagined something different for a samurai! I admit that no particular starter line from generation five wooed me in particular—I like Serperior and Oshawott, but none of the other Pokemon in their evolution lines appeal to me—but I consider generation five to have the best Pokemon overall. I know some people disagree. Every person is different.

(I'm glad you agree that Torchic is awesome!)

(Oh, and I didn't even know Serperior had arms. That's actually... pretty creepy.)

I actually already knew that. However, in the Pokémon world, "dragons" aren't always what become Dragon types. For example, Gible's and its evolutions are mostly based on land sharks. That doesn't necessarily scream Dragon to me. Inversely, Gyarados, which is clearly based on Dragons is NOT a Dragon type. So, you see, not every typing makes absolute sense. I'm not saying Froakie would definitely be Water/Dragon, simply that I would accept it if Pokémon made an amphibian-based Pokémon into a Dragon type because Amphibians do share enough similarities with reptiles (I mean in their appearance. I do know the differences biologically) that it'd be justifiable.

...I'm a little confused. I don't really understand what you mean at all.

So, you were trying to justify Froakie becoming a Dragon type by comparing it to other Pokemon, and my interpretation was that you were stating that Trapinch and Horsea seemingly "randomly" evolve into Dragon types. Which might not have been your intention, but based on how you phrased the sentence that's what I assumed.

So, I thought maybe you didn't know so I wanted to clear stuff up, and I explained the reasons behind the Dragon typings of certain Pokemon.

And um, you'll have to forgive me but I don't really understand what you're trying to communicate with this post... I guess I sort of got lost in the conversation!

In any case, I think Froakie becoming a Dragon type would be cool, although a tad unlikely. But I like the idea!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back