• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do you find the GTS vital?

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2016
Ah, the GTS. What better than relying on it to get a specific Pokemon.

I, myself, had to use the GTS to be in possession of a Malamar, since they don't appear anywhere in the wild, Nintendo has not officially revealed Inkay's Evolution Method at the time, and I think what people all over the internet is saying "how to evolve Inkay" is a bunch of baloney. I mean, Nintendo would never implement such a gimmicky mechanic to evolve a Pokemon.

Had any of you used the GTS to obtain Pokemon you couldn't personally obtain otherwise, due to being too difficult?

Years
I use it to get pokemon I haven't gotten thru wonder trade yet. Such as Mudkip, Torkoal, HA Dratini, HA Heracross, Grimer, Galvantula, Liligant, etc.

But it's horrible to use if you're looking for something because the trainers on there are kinda greedy. Zangoose for Victini? Are you serious?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've used GTS in Pokémon Y a couple of tines before. Personally, though, I like setting up trades between friends or people over message boards, as they're more trustworthy than random strangers. This way, you would be making yourself a lot more secure and lower the chance of feeling regretful later on. :P

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
GTS for me was just trading legendaries for legendaries to aqcuire the Shiny Charm. When I finally got it I stopped using GTS.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
GTS is pretty useful. Kinda wish people would stop asking for legendaries for almost everything, but it can still be useful.

Nintendo has not officially revealed Inkay's Evolution Method at the time, and I think what people all over the internet is saying "how to evolve Inkay" is a bunch of baloney. I mean, Nintendo would never implement such a gimmicky mechanic to evolve a Pokemon.
You really do have to hold your 3DS upside-down while Inkay gets a level up and is level 30+ in order for it to evolve. I know, its weird as hell, but that's really what you have to do. I've done it myself, it works.

Years
I think the GTS is very usefull and i've used it alot to fill up the pokedex to an extent (i still havent finished it) but other then that i use it for certain pokes u need an item for egg move pokemon or for poke safari pokemon i cant obtain atm

Years
GTS is a nice feature but needs polish.
It needs a legendary filter or better yet an editable ~50 slot long list where I can enter the pokemon I don't want to see there.
And it needs a "summary" button. :|
Also (but that is not really that important) maybe longer descriptions that you can enter.
Other than that it's nice for quick trades for pokedex entries.

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I do use it when I want something specific as opposed to relying on Wonder Trade. I recently used it to get my HA Goomy. Didn't even need to sacrifice any good Pokemon, just a normal Goomy with a HA Goomy. Convenient? I think so.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 25, 2015
I love the GTS for trading, I dont do stupid trades like Audino for Zekrom but i do trades like Rotom for Golem or Mudkip for Treecko

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
I've loved using the GTS this gen. It helped me complete my national dex and I managed to snag a couple of nice shiny pokemon from there for practically nothing in return.

Also like another poster said, to evolve Inkay, you really do need to hold the DS upside down after level 30. I did this in order to evolve mine and it worked without a hitch.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I have all the main series games. I used them to complete the "Living Pokédex" challenge, without turning to the GTS even once. So, no, I don't find it vital unless I want to collect foreign Vivillions or breed shinies using the Masuda Method.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
GTS is useful for Pokedex completion. Used to have few boxes with starters, so I'd offer Chikoritas and Mudkips for various Pokemon.

Unless you got friends to trade IRL, it's quite vital.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I got all the Y exclusives on my X here. If it hadn't been for Pokemon Bank, it would had been vital for me.

It is very important for those who want all the Vivillon forms.

Another thing I used this for was to get foreign pokemon for MM.

ViperSpeeds

Espada
Years
I've used it to get starters. I'm still using it to get Pokémon I can't catch, or difficult to catch like Houndour, Aerodactyl, etc...

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I've used it a few times back in White and it's actually worked. I would put up a Pokemon in there, wish for another and then wait a week and I'd get the Pokemon!

But for the most part, especially in X, I do not use it. I find that Wonder trading or setting up a trade here or on other forums is way more faster to get the Pokemon you want.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Yup! I used it for a very large % of completing my National Dex. I was once lucky enough to nab a shiny off it for just a Mantine. The GTS could definitely be improved, though.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
Years
GTS is a vital function for a player like me who has to get all of the pokemon from scratch cause I don't own any of the previous pokemon games except for gen 5.
But I agree that this forum had helped me substantially in obtaining other pokemon such as the event legendaries and hidden abilities.

Years
I find the GTS very useful, especially now that they let you search for Pokémon you haven't seen. I am on multiple forums, so I could easily find people to trade with but I still don't do personal trades (or however you would call them) that often. You need to agree on what you trade and make sure you are online at the same time. For example for obtaining all starters it is just much faster to breed your own one and put it on the GTS for the ones you are missing instead of looking for people on forums for that. Most of my trades were done through the GTS, the only trades I would never do over the GTS are legendary trades or trades for specific natures/IVs/etc. (and only with people I already know better). That doesn't mean I never look at the trade forum though :)

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I often use GTS as the only way to get hard-to-find Pokémon like Protean Froakie and several Pokémon that are unavailable in X and Y (excluding Legendaries). Sometimes I find what I'm looking for, and sometimes not, I think it depends on timing.

Last edited:
Back