• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen ... Accidental Shiny?

Years
I was looking for Ekans hordes last night at 12AM, and I could literally find NONE :( which is unfortunate, as I'm trying to catch all Pokemon. What I did find, however, was a shiny Bellsprout in a horde encounter... which was my first shiny in any game, so I was pretty pleased. I know Bellsprout isn't the most adorable or cool of all Pokemon, but I still think it's pretty neat and I'm gonna evolve it soon.

Has anyone else found shinies on accident? And which ones?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
This is the way how they want us to encounter shinies—by luck, accident. I know there are various methods to run to these things, such as shiny chaining, but this is a lot better, I'd say, as it retains your surprise factor. n_n; Anyhow, yeah, I've encountered a lot of Pokémon like that! The most recent would be Litleo.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
I haven't really met any Pokémon randomly...

All my shinies are forced obtained on purpose :(

Even with the Shiny Charm!

Years
This is the way how they want us to encounter shinies—by luck, accident. I know there are various methods to run to these things, such as shiny chaining, but this is a lot better, I'd say, as it retains your surprise factor. n_n; Anyhow, yeah, I've encountered a lot of Pokémon like that! The most recent would be Litleo.

Yeah! It came as a REALLY nice surprise and I was super excited :) I never felt the need to get shinies (although I will always be interested in finding a shiny Luxray since it's my favorite) but if I ever experience this again, I'll be just as equally happy.

Years
Technically, I found a shiny Charmeleon in the Friend Safari on accident--I wasn't looking for shinies, but a Fletchinder with its HA--however, given how the FS increases the rate of finding shinies, I don't know if it'd count. Other than that, the only shinies I've found were through Chain Fishing.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 25, 2015
I got shiny pokemon through breeding but never a wild encounter

Years
Has anyone else found shinies on accident? And which ones?

I find shiny wild encounters more a random surprise than accident.
XY brought me a Bergmite and Shelmet so far.
Ability and nature tend to be undesired with my few shinies. Hate Gentle.

Years
I've never seen a wild shiny. I did breed one though (a Starly), which was my first. Unfortunately it didn't have the nature I wanted so I just gave it to my husband. :P

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So far, every shiny I've encountered is by accident. The only time this wasn't so is a Mawile that hatched via Masuda Method, and I still wasn't aiming for that.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Well, accidental shinies aren't by accident imo, whether with the shiny charm or not. My recent shiny encounter was more unexpected rather than by accident, and it's my shiny Spearow.

Years
Okay, so funny thing was, I was using the PokeRadar trying to learn how to use it for obtaining shinies. I kept failing to get higher than a 13 chain and started to walk out of the patch with sadness and I encountered a non-chained random shiny Pancham.. I almost died. I then stayed on the same route but different patch to check for Zapdos and I ran into ANOTHER shiny less than 2 minutes later, thus a shiny Gulpin. I've never had anything like that happen before and those are my only two non-fishing chained/friend safari shinies. I was happy to say the least.

Years
Okay, so funny thing was, I was using the PokeRadar trying to learn how to use it for obtaining shinies. I kept failing to get higher than a 13 chain and started to walk out of the patch with sadness and I encountered a non-chained random shiny Pancham.. I almost died. I then stayed on the same route but different patch to check for Zapdos and I ran into ANOTHER shiny less than 2 minutes later, thus a shiny Gulpin. I've never had anything like that happen before and those are my only two non-fishing chained/friend safari shinies. I was happy to say the least.

... you have some crazy luck going on there :o I'm jealous!

Years
Except for that one shiny orange flower Flabebe I got in a Poke Radar chain, every shiny I caught in my X game so far was a random encounter. Sometimes I find those shinies when I wasn't even intending to do so.

In fact, these are the shinies I have in the game so far:
Spoiler:

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
Years
In my good old Silver version I encountered two shiny Onix while grinding in Victory Road. Though back then, I didn't know what the sparkles meant, and I just KO'd them. Life is hard ;__;

A few months later, however, I was going to beat Red for the 152nd time and ran into a Shiny Quagsire. I did catch that one.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 6, 2015
Shiny Squirtle!!!

When I was about 10 or 12 years old, I started a new game of Pokémon Leafgreen, and looked at the squirtle which was to be my starter, and to my surprise, it was shiny! I wasn't a big fan of the pink Blastoise though.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I found a Shiny in a horde as well, a Poliwag. I had to take note of which one it was when I saw sparkles, because its color wasn't noticeably different from the normal one.

As for other generations... I roughly have one shiny per gen: a Spearow in Gen 2, a Slowpoke in Gen 3, a Turtwig and a Weezing in Gen 4 and an Audino in Gen 5. I've never been a Shiny hunter, so it was all pleasant surprises :) .

Back