• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Evolution/Pre-evolution Speculation

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Yes, and they're more likely to think like that if said pokémon they're discussing isn't already massive and hugely unpopular.

Golbat, Aipom, Misdreavous, Magmar, Roselia, Magneton, Nosepass, Lickitung, Tangela, Kirlia, Snorunt.

These weren't that popular from what I remember, though I wasn't involved with internet chats then. A lot of those I can't really see a justified reason for evolution beyond, well we just felt like adding on. Not even for the split evolutions on the last two. Some have fairly popular evolutions now too.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
Golbat, Aipom, Misdreavous, Magmar, Roselia, Magneton, Nosepass, Lickitung, Tangela, Kirlia, Snorunt.

These weren't that popular from what I remember, though I wasn't involved with internet chats then. A lot of those I can't really see a justified reason for evolution beyond, well we just felt like adding on. Not even for the split evolutions on the last two. Some have fairly popular evolutions now too.

All of which were small pokémon with fairly unimpressive stats! Many being Gen I alone made them popular enough via nostalgia to be worth evolving (especially to deal with power creep and whatnot) but to me Druddigon would very much be an odd one out among that list. Were I to pick an exception to the "rule" of sorts I suggest, it would surely be Dusclops, whose evolution was just bizarre. GameFreak making another exception out of Druddigon isn't impossible, obviously, but I don't see it happening.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
Well Roselia for sure didn't have nostalgia, not being Gen I. But I always found that to be quite a popular pokémon/line anyway. Is it possible to resist that fabulousness?!

I suppose in reality, it comes down to whether or not anyone at GF can imagine a good evo for the pokémon in question. To me Druddigon always came across as a future forgotten relic of V, but who knows really.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Druddigon is already massive though. There's some room for growth in the stats department but I'm not sure where they'd go aesthetically. Barely anyone even likes it anyway, I doubt GF see much demand for anything related to Druddigon ever again.

But maybe that's just my dislike for it coming through.

y I agree. Druddigon is boring design-wise, and drawing attention to it just seems useless. It was a filler Pokemon imo and the most I see it getting is a cute pre-evolution, but no evolution. ;(

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
All of which were small pokémon with fairly unimpressive stats! Many being Gen I alone made them popular enough via nostalgia to be worth evolving (especially to deal with power creep and whatnot) but to me Druddigon would very much be an odd one out among that list. Were I to pick an exception to the "rule" of sorts I suggest, it would surely be Dusclops, whose evolution was just bizarre. GameFreak making another exception out of Druddigon isn't impossible, obviously, but I don't see it happening.

Druddigon is only 20 points better than Magneton. Magmar is stronger than Druddigon by 10 points. So Druddigon falls in a perfect spot. Electabuzz and Magmar IMO didn't need to evolve at all. They were pretty good on their own.

As for size, Golbat is the same size as Druddigon. Don't think size thing is a fairly valid defense against.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
Druddigon is only 20 points better than Magneton. Magmar is stronger than Druddigon by 10 points. So Druddigon falls in a perfect spot. Electabuzz and Magmar IMO didn't need to evolve at all. They were pretty good on their own.

As for size, Golbat is the same size as Druddigon. Don't think size thing is a fairly valid defense against.

Magneton and Magmar weren't big, and Golbat didn't have good stats. Druddigon is the only one in the list who is big, has decent stats and is generally disliked.

But I did basically concede the point anyway, were I at GameFreak and I somehow came up with a concept to make Druddigon look any less horrendous than it currently does, I would probably release it regardless of the circumstances surrounding the pokémon I'm evolving.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
i wants the wobbuffet evolution, wobbanuat! other then that, a combee pre and maybe a dugtrio evolution, dugquartet.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

n Druddigon has all that but generally the fanbase likes it a lot less (I know Weighty does but...) given that almost 90% of the community here (that participates in B/W) voted for it in terms of the worst. It just didn't stand out and if it did get an evolution it would just seem unnecessary. Magneton on the other hand was actually really liked back then from what I recall. ;(

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
i wants the wobbuffet evolution, wobbanuat! other then that, a combee pre and maybe a dugtrio evolution, dugquartet.

A Combee pre-evolution would be too weak, Combee is one of the weakest Pokémon as it is.

They wouldn't have to make a Druddigon evolution too powerful. Take a look at Scizor for example, it didn't get a higher BST after evolving, it just had it's stats changed around. They could do that if they wanted.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Except Scizor was pretty much Scyther on some pretty strong steroids. That and it's typing really helped it, not letting it being weak to stealth rock as well as Poison spikes/other entry hazards except spikes. In order for something similar to happen to Druddigon, I would imagine they would have to add an additional type of some sort(probably dragon/flying? But then we'd have an inferior Dragonite, won't we?).

I guess it goes to show that even switching around stats could prove to make a Pokemon to be twice as powerful than it already is. XD
Lol many of those moves you mentioned that scizor's good against didn't even exist back in generation II when it was made...

I can see Druddigon become Dragon/Steel or Dragon/Rock as it'll fit nicely with it's rough skin ability, also Dragon/Steel would give it a lot of help competively that it wouldn't need a very large stat increase.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
Lol many of those moves you mentioned that scizor's good against didn't even exist back in generation II when it was made...

I can see Druddigon become Dragon/Steel or Dragon/Rock as it'll fit nicely with it's rough skin ability, also Dragon/Steel would give it a lot of help competively that it wouldn't need a very large stat increase.
I would love to see a Dragon/Steel evolution for Druddigon. Plus I agree that it wouldn't need a big stat increase. I would love to see that evolution, but I would prefer evolutions from generations before gen V. I feel like gen V is still too fresh in our minds. Although I wouldn't mind seeing some evolutions from gen V (like a Druddigon dragon/steel evo) I want to see evolutions from some earlier gen pokemon.... Like perhaps dunsparce and pinsir? I think those pokemon need evolutions

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
A Combee pre-evolution would be too weak, Combee is one of the weakest Pokémon as it is.

They wouldn't have to make a Druddigon evolution too powerful. Take a look at Scizor for example, it didn't get a higher BST after evolving, it just had it's stats changed around. They could do that if they wanted.

its not really for competitive play but more because it makes no sense that it starts out as 3 pokemon together. but they could make it learn some moves its evolutions can't learn. kind of like how wynaut seems kind of pointless until you notice that it learns encore which is a great move for wobbuffet to know.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Dragon/Steel as a typing would be a pretty interesting concept~! Weaknesses would be somewhat of a worry for Druddigon's possible evolution(what with being weak to Ground and Fighting, two common types in competitive), I can definitely see it being more lethal then, as long as it's stats aren't ridiculously off the charts. XD

At least that way it could possibly be used more since it would have a better type? I'd at least appreciate it being somewhat faster!

n it wouldn't be used in OU imo. It seems like it'd stay in the lower tiers because in general I'm not sure why anyone would want to use a Druddigon evolution. ;(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Also, Encore isn't so much a great move anymore since it got nerfed in 5th gen from 6 turns to 3 turns(I think), so it's more or less kind of useless. :x

Never said it would be OU. It'd best be safer in something like NU or RU, tbh.

n I'd say UU, actually. Given that its child would be in RU (or possibly higher given it has Eviolite in this situation) I think it'd be higher given it'd most likely be more powerful~

Also Encore is still good: meet Liepard. ;)

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
I wanna add to the Pinsir-evo discussion from last page.

Frankly, I don't think it's gonna happen...since they gave it a new bro in Heracross right away... And with Scyther gaining no stats with evolution, its much more like a forme than an evolution..except its one-way.
What I'm trying to say is, Scyther can still be regarded as an end-stage Pokemon. Its not like every other pre-evolution which you just wanna evolve. So Pinsir and Scyther are still meant to be "compared", if that's the right word.

But I wish Pinsir would get one anyway, because its new bro, Heracross has this unfair extra Fighting type, which basically makes it much closer to Scizor in usefulness, while Pinsir is barely ever used even though its stats are 500 total like the other two...

As for the type it would gain.
Steel? No, if they were to do that, it wuld have been with Metal Coat along Scizor.
Fighting? Eh, that would make it more like Heracross than is healthy.

Nope, what Pinsir already looks like it could gain is....the other very special type...that was introduced alongside Steel: Dark.

But lets get realistic. The best one could hope for Pinsir is to gain a Bug type Quick Attack move called Beetle Smack or something xDDDD

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I wanna add to the Pinsir-evo discussion from last page.

Frankly, I don't think it's gonna happen...since they gave it a new bro in Heracross right away... And with Scyther gaining no stats with evolution, its much more like a forme than an evolution..except its one-way.
What I'm trying to say is, Scyther can still be regarded as an end-stage Pokemon. Its not like every other pre-evolution which you just wanna evolve. So Pinsir and Scyther are still meant to be "compared", if that's the right word.

But I wish Pinsir would get one anyway, because its new bro, Heracross has this unfair extra Fighting type, which basically makes it much closer to Scizor in usefulness, while Pinsir is barely ever used even though its stats are 500 total like the other two...

As for the type it would gain.
Steel? No, if they were to do that, it wuld have been with Metal Coat along Scizor.
Fighting? Eh, that would make it more like Heracross than is healthy.

Nope, what Pinsir already looks like it could gain is....the other very special type...that was introduced alongside Steel: Dark.

But lets get realistic. The best one could hope for Pinsir is to gain a Bug type Quick Attack move called Beetle Smack or something xDDDD

Actually, anything is possible! It doesn't have to always be traded with a Metal Coat that would turn a Pokémon into a Steel-type. Think of Leafeon for instance, it didn't evolve with a Leaf Stone, it evolved while leveling up next to a moss covered rock in every games prior to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. ;)

It would be cool to see a new evolution of Pinsir. And who knows? It could end up having wings and exoskeleton covering it's wings like the beetles found in real life, and would end up appearing in a similar form to Heracross, but much more metallic. :D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I want fighting. ;( Because then Pinsir can be the better Sawk of NU for a while! And that'll be v good imo. :3

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
n they can be different. Like Gastrodon, Seismitoad and Quagsire are different. :)

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
Main wants - Flying/Fighting Farfetch'd evo, Shuckle evo, Dunsparce Evo, Stunfisk evo.

Simply because those pokemon have no real validity to them. Sure Shuckle can be a good wall, but he can't really do anything before Toxic finishes him off.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I sincerely hope the only evolution to a Gen 1 Pokemon to appear in Gen VI is the rumored Eeveelution, because I'm trying to add 8 Pokemon on my reorganized Kanto dex to make it 190, as what GF was originally going to include in the first game, and I'm using the cross-gen evos that added up to 182 (or 183 if we include the new Eeveelution).

Back