• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Homework Help & Discussions Thread.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
How exactly does citing within a paper work? I know how a works cited page works, but how do you actually cite within the paper itself when like...quoting sources and such? MLA format, of course...honestly, are there any other formats? Ugh, don't answer that.

Years
Use parenthetical citation.

There are several styles you can use to cite. MLA (the one you mentioned) is one, but you can also use APA and Chicago, though usually they're used for different purposes.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
How exactly does citing within a paper work? I know how a works cited page works, but how do you actually cite within the paper itself when like...quoting sources and such? MLA format, of course...honestly, are there any other formats? Ugh, don't answer that.

I have absolutely no idea what "MLA" means, but this is how I've been taught to reference stuff. From an essay I wrote a while back:

"In contrast, the aldolase II enzyme has a lesser understood structure (Berry & Marshall, 1993)."

So in the essay I've made a statement, then briefly said whose work I got that information from. Then at the end of the paper in the references section:

Berry, A., Marshall, K. E. (1993), Identification of zinc-binding ligands in the Class II fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase of Escherichia coli, Federation of European Biochemical Societies, 318:11-16

The order of things here's important. Names (Last, First Initial. Second Initial.) in the order that they appear on the paper followed by the year in brackets, the title of the paper exactly as it appears in italics, the publisher, the volume:the page numbers.

If you're citing in a different context such as quoting directly, you could say something like "Berry & Marshall (1993) say that "[blah]"" or whatever. But in general explaining something in your own words is a better idea since it shows that you understand what you're on about.

Your reference list at the end of the paper should be in alphabetical order.

Be aware that referencing wrongly, depending on how strict your university is on these kinda things, can get you in a fair deal of trouble and as I say I don't know if my format's the same as yours. If none of this looks familiar to you, please ask someone on your course or something first, since I don't wanna be getting you in trouble. Haha. Hope this helps though... I think it's what you're having trouble with at least. d:

edit: lol the above poster is talking about something totally different I think. I'm not familiar with any other referencing types than the one I explained here so maybe go with what they said if it means anything to you.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Use parenthetical citation.

Is that like the little [5] things you see on Wikipedia articles and such? And then the number has to match the number of the bibliography card for that source? I'm just guessing. It's been a long time since I've done a research paper, and I don't remember a thing.

@Razor Leaf: My teacher is absolutely insane. She got mad at me because my outline wasn't how she wanted it, even though she claims "the outline is for the students" which implies it shouldn't matter how it looks. I digress...lol.

Years
I'm pretty sure I was talking about the right thing, Razor Leaf. http://www.easybib.com/help/paren

For example, if I were to quote from 1984, it'd look something like this: "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." (Orwell 1)

Then you'd make a reference at the end of the paper in Works Cited/References section, which looks similar to what Razor Leaf posed.

About the other formats I've stated, these are what I'm talking about:

APA Format: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/ (Usually used for scientific lab reports, etc.)
Chicago Format: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/717/01/

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm not even gonna look at Chicago or APA. It has to be MLA, or she'll flip he everloving ♥♥♥♥. She'll flip it even if it is MLA, I'm sure. Lady has it out for me.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It's an English class only for people in the Elementary/Collaborative major. What's really ♥♥♥♥♥♥ is that not only is this degree being removed, but the class overall is being removed. I'm basically taking an irrelevant class that's only months away from being nuked. I'll have to choose between elementary or special education if I don't make it into the college of education by the time the degree is taken off, as well. Not worried about that. Just worried about this awful class. Really one of the worst teachers I've ever had, only ranking behind one other teacher. It being an education class, topics for the paper had to pertain to education, and I picked bullying. I've got plenty of material, just need help actually being able to cite it.

And apparently, internet sources overall count as one source. She can kiss my butt. All my sources are internet and there's like 8. So. lol

can you tell i hate this class with a passion :)

Years
Just drop it if it's completely irrelevent lol. Unless it still somewhat counts for future or you have minimum credit or something.

Also is she asking for primary sources? You'll probably need to search some sort of database to find sources if so.

Years
Just find your newspaper website sources in whatever research database she has you using. 90% chance that if the research database is actually decent and up to date, they'll be there. Don't know if it'll meet the requirements, but it'll at least get one of your sources off of the internet.

I personally always had issues finding sources that weren't older than dirt on those darn databases, but I never had to use those after middle school.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Does anyone use Open Office? I can't figure out how to put my uhhh what's it called...in MLA papers, you have to have "last name I" in the upper right corner of all your pages and I can't figure out how to do that because Open Office is a piece of ♥♥♥♥ and I'm starting to hate MacBooks lmao. Is it some kind of heading or what? I legit cannot figure out where it is.

I should probably ask this in Technology ehhhh idk.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I need Chemistry help!

I need to convert my absorbances using a calibration curve to molarity.
Here:
http://i.imgur.com/b7zHbfa.jpg
Pic 1 of first graph (absorbance v time):
1 .176 2 .163 3 .153 4 .142 5 .132 6 .123 7 .114
Now I need to convert absorbance to molarity and be able to graph this:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Honest

Hi!
Years
I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I want to be sure, because I've always been a little hesitant when it comes to implicit differentiation (Calculus).

Question: Calculate (dy/dx) if 3x^4 + 3xy + 5y^4 = 10, and then find the equation of the tangent line to the graph of this equation at the point (1,1)

My work:
--Subtract 10 and differentiate each term so that:
-----3x^4 becomes 12x^3
-----2xy becomes 2x(dy/dx) + 2y via the product rule
-----5y^4 becomes 20y^3 * (dy/dx) via the chain rule

--Derivative looks like
-----12x^3 + 2x(dy/dx) + 2y + (20y^3)(dy/dx)

--Subtract the terms with (dy/dx), factor (dy/dx) out, and then divide to isolate, and you get (dy/dx) is equal to:
-----[12x^3 + 2y]/[-2x - 20y^3]

Then for the second part, you just find m by plugging in 1 for both x and y, and that is simple enough, I'm sure. Thanks for the check. :D

There's this other question that's stumping me though:

Evaluate as the limit approaches zero for [(x)*(sin 11x)]/(sin 7x)^2

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Ooh, something I can actually help with!
Is the second term 3xy or 2xy? If it is 2xy your differentiation is correct, and if it is 3xy you should be safe with just replacing the two coefficient 2's in your derivative with 3's.
As for the limit, when you plug in x=0 you get indeterminant in the form of 0/0, so you use L'Hospitals rule to find the limit. Basically for L'Hospitals, if the limit is indeterminant (most common is probably 0/0) you can still solve it by differentiating the numerator and denominator separately, then taking the limit of the derivatives divided by each other. So for this particular problem, you differentiate xsin11x and then differentiate sin^2(7x), then plug in x=0 to determine the answer. However, when you plug in x=0 you still get 0/0, so you repeat L'Hospitals until you are able to plug in 0 and get an answer. You should get an answer with using L'Hospitals rule twice, and I got 11/49 when I worked it out.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Ooh, something I can actually help with!
Is the second term 3xy or 2xy? If it is 2xy your differentiation is correct, and if it is 3xy you should be safe with just replacing the two coefficient 2's in your derivative with 3's.
As for the limit, when you plug in x=0 you get indeterminant in the form of 0/0, so you use L'Hospitals rule to find the limit. Basically for L'Hospitals, if the limit is indeterminant (most common is probably 0/0) you can still solve it by differentiating the numerator and denominator separately, then taking the limit of the derivatives divided by each other. So for this particular problem, you differentiate xsin11x and then differentiate sin^2(7x), then plug in x=0 to determine the answer. However, when you plug in x=0 you still get 0/0, so you repeat L'Hospitals until you are able to plug in 0 and get an answer. You should get an answer with using L'Hospitals rule twice, and I got 11/49 when I worked it out.
Extremely late with this, but thank you so much <333 I'm guessing I use this for trig limits, eh?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 5, 2022
Could I apply to help? I'm fluent in afrikaans(if anyone needs help with it) and I can assist people with Maths literacy.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Helping others is always nice, so here i go:

Name: Zorogami
Grade Level: College - International Business Studies - 2nd Semester
Specialty Subjects: Fluent in Spanish, Italian and German - Advanced English Skills - Geography
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: As stated above, i like to help people. Im patient and ive always been good at "teaching" stuff, and it also seems like my language skills could come in handy (:

Feel free to send me a PM/VM to contact me directly!

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Name: Belldandy
Grade Level: University (Year One) for Honours Geography and Advanced FSL Minor. As per the bilingualism committee, my French level is equivalent to late Second Year / Early Third Year Advanced French. I consider myself bilingual.
Specialty Subjects: French; English
Why do you want to be a PC Professor?: I've always been interested in teaching and tutoring. I'm going to school to become a teacher actually :) so yay!

Availability: Whenever I'm not at work :P and I can do some Skype pronunciation help, too, but not too often. Special request only.

Approved or not, anyone who needs help, just VM me. I can assist in proofreading work (incl. college/university), giving helpful critique, assisting in sentence structure and grammar, etc. for both languages. I don't start university until September 2014, but I've already received a 94% on a paper I submitted (in someone else's name teehee /Iwascurious;donotfollowmyexample) for Fourth Year on aquaculture. Quality is my thing.

:)

Last edited:

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Gfx is my old account, so I can't really make any changes. Anyway I can be made owner to add Professors and things like that?

Back