• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Immoderate Overview, goes XP

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 29, 2007
IMMODERATE OVERVIEW

Immoderate Overview was an RM2K3 game I worked on. The very first game I ever did on rpg maker infact. I managed to acomplish a 1 and a half hour demo of the rm2k3 version. No one played it though. I got like 1 person downloading it. No one plays rm2k3 games anyways nowadays. I've decided to remake it XP. And I'm also giving lots more info now. I promise I'll keep this topic updated regularly even if it doesn't get much interest. Here's a lowdown of the story and stuff.

STORY AND CHARACTERS

So here is how the story goes. I'm not giving too much away so I'm only giving a few paragraphs.

The land that Immoderate Overview takes place in is called Pent. In Kalli (a city in pent) there is a castle. In this castle lies a gem called the royal crystal. No one knows that it lies within the castle though. The reason behind that, is that it was over 100 years ago when it was placed there. It has been kept a secret ever since. It was when King Scott reigned as King of Kalli. I'm not going into to much detail on this part as it would really ruin the story. But anyhoo nowadays his grandson King Richard keeps it under extremely heavy gaurd. I'm not givin gout info on why all this came to be as that will be revealed through the in game story. Anyhoo onto the next part of the plot.

Two people find out this knowledge and decide to steal the crystal. There is all alot of reason behind all this and if you played the rm2k3 demo you probably know a small amount of it. I garauntee you will be surprised. It's all about the past of Pent and secrets and stuff like that. I've got so much about it I just can't tell you much, I'm really sorry.

Character wise I'll tell you about some of the mai characters you will meet in the early parts of the game.

Name: Lorenzo
Height: 6 foot, 1 inch
Info: Lorenzo is a mature young mercenary style worker who takes his work very seriously. He is quite career minded. He isn't what you would call a real mercenary thoguh. He likes to keep things nice and legal. There is certain reasons though that Kalah managed to get him into his recent turn of events though.

Name: Kalah
Height: 5 foot, 9 inch
Info: Kalah is an always excited young girl from the city of Nero. She has hired Lorenzo to help her get the crystal from the castle. For some reason she knew of the crystal, but I'm not saying why. But if you've played about an hour and 25 odd minutes into the rm2k3 demo you will already know.

Name: Blue
Height: 6 foot, 0 inch
Info: Blue is an aspiring young mage that meets Lorenzo and Kalah. On a ship. They are going in the same direction as the two anyways so he decides to go with them until he reaches his detination as it will be easier for them all to do that.

Here is a quick list of minor characters in the game and a quick one liner about them.

King Richard - The king of Kalli. He wants to make sure the royal crystal stays in the castle.

Gene - A high knight of Kallis castle.

Prince Kent - King Richards son.

Wes Stand - The famous author that lives in Kalli.

THE SYSTEMS

Roses Bank - The biggest chain of banks in the whole of Pent. Apart from the obvious bank features like storing your money and stuff, there are some nice bells and whistles. Otherwise what are the advantages of it over carrying your money around? Basically the bulk of the idea revolves around the Roses Bank card. You can get this card if you obtain two special items in the game. You'll probably be able to obtain it about 2 hours into the game. With the card you can buy certain things with money from your account that you can only buy with you card at certian points in the game. You can also get rewards from it and get certain secret items using it. There are also some save points with shops in them that you use your bank card in and ones that you can bank with.

Mage Advancement - This is what you'll be using to advance Blue's mage abilities. This is done at certain points in the game (ones that you can freely visit over and over again obviously). This way you can choose what order Blue learns his abilities in. Blue does learn abilities by himself to though. There are also secret places that you can get special abilities from.

Expect more little systems like that as they were only the ones covered in the demo.

Script wise I'll probably only use it to add some nice little bells and whistles. Nothing too major as I'm not that good at RGSS yet and I'd be surprised if a scripter would want to help.

THE GAME ITSLEF

The game itself is very gameplay and story driven. I've always been highly for a good devolped story. Also I don't approve of easy quick gameplay where you rush through straight to the other side of the cave or whatever. I try my best to include innovative puzzles and interesting secrets.

I know that's quite short on the gameplay but I'm really tired at the moment.

CURRENT DOWNLOADS AND INTERESTING TID BITS

Here you will find links to the rmxp versions of the game as they come out, the original rm2k3 demo if anyone actually cares, the website link, walthroughs and all that type of stuff as they come.

The orginal RM2K3 demo of Immoderate Overview.

The website link isn't completely up yet. When I get the cash together to get a yahoo host with a PHP compatibility I'll put it here.

=========================================
=========================================

I'm going to just do another post after this one with my current situation as that's is the way I'm used to topic like this working on alot of the forums I goto. The first post is usually just about the project itslef and is not for the current progress. Hope your OK with that.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 29, 2007
CURRENT PROGRESS

OK the intro is getting close to being done. I could so with some suggestions of the throne room map though. The rm2k3 one looks good but I can't seem to work with the tileset to make it look good in XP, here's is screenshots of both versions. Please give your suggestion. It would be appreciated.

RM2K3 VERSION SCREENY

immoderate%20overview%202k3.PNG

XP VERSION SCREENY

immoderate%20overview%20xp.PNG

Told you it's really bad.

I'm having worries about certain bits though. I'm trying to figure out how I could do the skiff I use for some of the puzzles in my game. As it's XP it doesn't have default vehicles. I'll try and code my own one or if not I may have to delay the release until i learn more RGSS.

Anyhoo yeah I just started the remake today but it's coming along. Since I've already got the basis for it it shouldn't take as long as the first time. I'll try extending the demo a little past where the first one led off though.

That's it for the moment. Bye for now.

Raccoon

Pokeball Muncher
Years
  • Seen May 21, 2010
It's not bad at all... it's just RMXP thats bad.
Well, I suppose that makes the game bad.
Nah, its okay man.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 29, 2007
RMXP is better than RM2K/3 but hasn't got as many options as default. I like using RM2K3 but I'm learning RGSS at the moment (Well I only really just started) which should help in making an RPG on RMXP better. Well, I hope it turns out well. I've found out, that in the majority of places on the net most people only play RMXP games now anyways.

EDIT: Yeah I've just noticed that. It needs doing up anyways as it sucks compared to the rm2k3 version.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 29, 2007
UPDATE

I've gone for the simple but sexy approach on the throne room. Tell me what you think. It now holds a little something I thought I could use later in the game too. It may be simple, but I think it might just be simple enough to work. Have a gander.

immoderate%20overview%20edit%20xp.PNG

Compare it to the original then leave your comments.

Also I'm having troubles with the first boss Gene. People who have played the original will know what he looks like but for those who don't, he's the dark knight from the rm2k3 RTP (not the rm2k RTP). Although I can't find an rm2k3 to rmxp converter that works or I'd have filtered and resized the rm2k dark knight. Does anyone know where I can a converter that works. I'll update once I've done the first castle completely.

Back