The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center

Notices

ARCHIVED: Battle Center This forum is designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! The main forum is meant for discussions, battle requests, battle logs, and other threads related to battling. Look to the sub-forums for events and team help.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:58 AM
[Your Name Here]

Nature: Bold

Advertise here
I don't want to make the mistake of using pokemon always seen in competitive battles, and instead have pokemon nobody expects to appear.

Can anyone please help me?
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:24 AM
InSANEity
A sky full of lighters <3

Nature: Calm
A few I know are: Tyranitar, Milotic, Chansey/Blissey, Scizor, and some others.

Go to Smogon. com and click on Pokemon Tiers, look in the OU (over used) section for a wider list.
73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!" copy this as your signature!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tsvet is such an amazing trader/trainer/person! :D
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:25 AM
wolf
on reduced activity

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3451190

open the first spoiler, it descends by usage (so, the top pokémon is the most used).

pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar source
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM
47bennyg
Burt the Billowy Bear

Nature: Impish
Ferrothorn, TTar, Gliscor, Politoed, Excadrill, Starmie, Thundurus, just to name a few.

If you want to get real in depth check out Smogon's usage statistics on their PO server, which will show you how much each pokemon is used in each tier.

EDIT: sorry you both beat me to it lol.
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
I think you've got it the other way around. Pokemon are always used because they're good, so the tier containing the top competitive Pokemon is called "The Overused tier". The element of surprise isn't worth much in the metagame, most people prefer to use proven movesets and Pokemon that have already established themselves as powerful threats, gimmicks are rarely seen, although they can be effective. I really reccomend you stick to using standard Pokemon. Anyhow, here are Smogon's Usage statistics, they start from the most used Pokemon [Ferrothorn] to the lesser used ones. [Usage Stats]

paired to kaori & vrai
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:40 AM
47bennyg
Burt the Billowy Bear

Nature: Impish
As Karpman said, most of the commonly used pokemon are common for a reason. But there is a tier for pokemon that aren't commonly used: The RU tier on Smogon is made of of pokemon who aren't used commmonly on other tiers and their usage determines if they can be used on the RU tier. So if you want to play with uncommonly used pokemon this might be the place for you.
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:40 AM
wolf
on reduced activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpman View Post
I think you've got it the other way around. Pokemon are always used because they're good, so the tier containing the top competitive Pokemon is called "The Overused tier". The element of surprise isn't worth much in the metagame, most people prefer to use proven movesets and Pokemon that have already established themselves as powerful threats, gimmicks are rarely seen, although they can be effective. I really reccomend you stick to using standard Pokemon. Anyhow, here are Smogon's Usage statistics, they start from the most used Pokemon [Ferrothorn] to the lesser used ones. [Usage Stats]
the element of surprise is very useful in the metagame; i don't see how it can't be. but constantly battling the same person does lose the surprise factor since they will know what you are using, so it's best for tournaments. either way, it's still possible to use uncommon pokémon effectively, as long as you know how to support it and use it properly. and besides, the user may find battling more fun that way.

pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar source
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:52 AM
dreyko
Isolated System.

Nature: Careful
battling has a lot of strategy involved. if you want to use a pokemon in a different tier then OU then you want to make sure that it has an effective move set, nature, EV's ect. additionally you want to make sure that you have other pokemon on your team that can support it and vice versa. good synergy on a team is also important. but if you want to learn more about tiers and usage then you can check out the links in the posts above.

hope this helps you a little =)

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here