• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I don't think the cover art should matter, considering it is a children's game in the first place so it's natural that it would suggest that lol. Besides, I kind of like it actually, the PMD cover art that is!

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Pfft, judging a game by its box art is pretty much the same as judging a book by its cover.

Years
I don't think the cover art should matter, considering it is a children's game in the first place so it's natural that it would suggest that lol. Besides, I kind of like it actually, the PMD cover art that is!
Yay, me too! It gives the exciting feel like one would get before embarking on an expedition, the expedition in this case is buying and playing the game. ^^;
Pfft, judging a game by its box art is pretty much the same as judging a book by its cover.
^ What I was thinking xD

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Yeah I mean, it could be totally different to what it seems. its like judging a book like Zeffy said, or judging someone by their appearance before getting to know them.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Okay, case in point: PMD shows cute, smiling little Pokemon wearing what look to be bibs or do-rags around their necks. The main Pokemon series games (Yellow excepted) feature badass looking legendary Pokemon (or fully evolved starters in the case of the Kanto games) on their covers.

And I did play a 5 minute demo of PMD in GameStop that left me wanting to get those wasted 5 minutes of my life back. I seem to remember the battle system being atrocious. I don't recall what about it was atrocious, just that it left a very bad impression on me. Then there's the whole "no trainers" thing but I did go into GameStop that day years ago knowing that, and did give it the 'ol college try... and regretted it.

But anyway, what's wrong with judging books by their covers? I do it all the time. My recently acquired book that said, "Hilton Head Island Visitors' Guide" on the cover did, indeed, contain visitor information for Hilton Head Island inside :P

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I judge Pokemon by their appearance. That's why I often play with a full party of Spheal.

lilycove_city_spheal_by_aadmm-d2yug3z.png

Years
^That's so cute. ):

I've only played PMD once (for 30 minutes max) and never got into it. It just seemed bland to me... wasted potential. Could've been done a lot better. I'll give it points for the cuteness factor since I love cute, small Pokemon and many of my favorites were playable off the bat.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2012
I'm probably a bit biased because I absolutely love roguelikes, but I actually loved Pokemon Mystery Dungeon... Both Red/Blue Rescue Teams and Explorers of Sky/Darkness/Time.

They are designed to be a Pokemon implementation of a "Roguelike", which is a turn-based top-view randomly-generated dungeon crawler. And Chunsoft actually did a pretty good job emulating that. On top of the standard gameplay, there is also a decent story. I will admit that they are really quite kiddish at times though, especially at the very beginning of the second games (Time/Darkness/Sky).

They certainly aren't for everyone, but they are good games, especially the amount you can do during the postgame... Jeez, much more to do than the main series of games.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
That Spheal aaaaa Toujours I love the Walrein line, I had a Spheal called IceBal (don't ask me why there is one 'l' XD) in my first play through Sapphire lol.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Spheal is very, very easily the cutest Pokemon in the history of Pokemon.

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Well no cause the cutest Pokémon will always be Gyarados.
Titan_the_red_Gyarados_by_LadyMurkrow.png

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Yoshi do you know what cute means :(

Years
And I did play a 5 minute demo of PMD in GameStop that left me wanting to get those wasted 5 minutes of my life back. I seem to remember the battle system being atrocious. I don't recall what about it was atrocious, just that it left a very bad impression on me. Then there's the whole "no trainers" thing but I did go into GameStop that day years ago knowing that, and did give it the 'ol college try... and regretted it.
I don't think anything has changed from the moves and the sequence of turns. Of course for one, everyone's speed appears to be the same and is measured only by the stat raises/drops. And of course, there's that tile-range which pretty much doesn't "taint" the image of the battle mechanic. But I respect your impression, I'm just trying to figure out how you got that impression. :3

They certainly aren't for everyone, but they are good games, especially the amount you can do during the postgame... Jeez, much more to do than the main series of games.
This I so much agree and that's one of the reasons why I love PMD.

Is that Gyarados doing a MySpace pose?
OMG yah!! xD

Yoshikko

Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
OMG nah!! XD that gyarados is just being a badass like ever!!
HAVE MY 1000th POST TOUJOURS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back