• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Ruby] Adding New Types

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2016
Great tutorial! It worked great, except for some of the colors are now off on my type names in the summary screen (gonna have to fix that, but that'll be easy).

Unfortunately, I appear to have a problem or two.

I replaced ??? with Fairy, firstly.

1. In battle the moves still read ??? type.

2. While the defensive typing seems to work fine, (I haven't checked every one, but what I did check worked.) every single Fairy (???) move I use does almost NO damage.

For example, I was messing around with YAPE and a move editor, and I changed Zigzagoon to a normal/fairy type, and I also changed my Mawile's Vicegrip to a fairy move. When I used it, however, it didn't even come CLOSE to KOing the lv 4 Zigzagoon, even though Mawile's like lv 22. I'd estimate it did ~15% of the thing's hp.

I knew something was up, so I went and edited Vicegrip's power to 255, and tried again. +200 power, no difference. O.o

I'm thinking this is something to do with a default for ??? attacks.

It still does "super effective" damage, I tried it on a Poochyena too. Still did almost nothing.

Any suggestions?

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2018
Could the number of types be changed by expanding the image and putting fairy under tough?

On step 8 it keeps telling me the specified search string wasn't found. I'm using Pokemon ruby and hex workshop :(

Last edited by a moderator:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
On step 8 it keeps telling me the specified search string wasn't found. I'm using Pokemon ruby and hex workshop :(

You are searching for the [20971F08] hex value, right? And the [type] is Hex Values, right?

Could the number of types be changed by expanding the image and putting fairy under tough?

I believe that it's possible. I just haven't tried looking into it some more because of real life restrictions. :/

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2018
Yes i f you are referring to when i have to use the replace function I am using the reversed offset. But I saw that earlier in the thread someone had the same problem but somehow figured it out but didn't explain how.

And yes whenever I am at the replace step I have type: hex values, find: 20971F08 and in this case I was trying to replace at 007E4140 and used 40417E08 and I even tried at the exact place of the demonstration and it still does it.

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Yes i f you are referring to when i have to use the replace function I am using the reversed offset. But I saw that earlier in the thread someone had the same problem but somehow figured it out but didn't explain how.

And yes whenever I am at the replace step I have type: hex values, find: 20971F08 and in this case I was trying to replace at 007E4140 and used 40417E08 and I even tried at the exact place of the demonstration and it still does it.

Well, you can try and manually change the bytes from the offsets.
Code:
1CDC8
1CF08
1CFE4
1D344
1D44C
1D564
2237C
36CD0
That's the list of offsets where you need to replace the 20971F08 value.

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2018
Honestly at this point I am confused about what you said. What am I supposed to put at those offsets? And am I supposed to change whatever it is I'm supposed to change before or after I try step 8?

And a offshoot long shot question is would adding some empty bytes right after where the table already is ruin the rom?

Thanks for being so helpful and patient with me.

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
What am I supposed to put at those offsets? And am I supposed to change whatever it is I'm supposed to change before or after I try step 8?

You need to go to those offsets (CTRL + G) and change the 20971F08 bytes to your new reversed table offset, which would be 40417E08.
Spoiler:

And a offshoot long shot question is would adding some empty bytes right after where the table already is ruin the rom?

Yes. That's why we need to copy and paste the current table to a new offset, so we can safely add new ones without ruining anything in the ROM. ;)

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2018
DJG, I am very sure at this moment that you are a lifesaver! Thank you so much. Though I must also ask where I can find the hex value numbers for the other types as I'm guessing its not as simple as normal being 01

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
DJG, I am very sure at this moment that you are a lifesaver! Thank you so much. Though I must also ask where I can find the hex value numbers for the other types as I'm guessing its not as simple as normal being 01

Er... It's in the first post, under the [Reference] section. ;)

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2018
Ok thanks so much, and DJG I'm sorry but I must ask one more thing of you I am also having the problem of repointing the type names table in step 11 it is giving me the same problem as step 8 I'm really sorry to be a pain but I need to manually change those as well. Thank you so much for your help.

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Ok thanks so much, and DJG I'm sorry but I must ask one more thing of you I am also having the problem of repointing the type names table in step 11 it is giving me the same problem as step 8 I'm really sorry to be a pain but I need to manually change those as well. Thank you so much for your help.

You'll only have to go to four addresses for step 11, so this one's going to be quicker. :P
Code:
2E3A8
121B60
3B59D4

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2018
Omg DJG you are the best. I have always been a fan but when you helped me with my problem you made my day. I am trying to build a game and I thank you so much for your help. It worked :)

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
Technicaly to make it good you only can add three new types to game. Changing ??? to <For example Fairy or in my example Crystal type>, And two contest type editing. Three of contests type need to by changed into Physical, Special and Stats icons to make great effect inside game. <And make still usable Contests>

Last edited:

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 18, 2023
how do you remove the cool attribute in paint i cant seem to make it work i want to add the fairy type plz help me

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 29, 2015
Hello! I'm having an issue when I try to import my new type images. After I select my image and click "Open" to import it into the game, it gives me a notice that says "Error: Image is not Indexed." How can I correct this?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 27, 2022
Please, help me... I did the process of the tutorial successfully, but now I can't see the profile of my Pokemon when I press Start and then "Pokémon".

Why this happens?

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Please, help me... I did the process of the tutorial successfully, but now I can't see the profile of my Pokemon when I press Start and then "Pokémon".

Why this happens?

If you were doing this with a clean Ruby ROM, then you probably did something wrong. If you're doing this to an already-modified Ruby ROM, then either something is wrong with the ROM, or you did something wrong.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 27, 2022
Yeah, now the Pokemon profile run correctly, It was necessary a totally clean Rom... The problem now is I will have to start all my hackrom again T_T... Thank you for help, xD.

Back