• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Shadowgale

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
Pokemon ShadowGale

STORY

Pokemon Shadowgale Story 1
Spoiler:

SECOND STORY (I prefer this one personally)
Spoiler:

Screenshots
In the attachments

Credits
Poccil/Flameguru - Rpgmaker xp Starter kit
4thGenerationMatt - DPP Tilesets / Characters
Enterbrain - Rpgmaker XP
Venom12 - Starter Kit DS
Dorandragon-Fakemon Spriter
CNG - Tilesets from his starter kit
CNG - Neo Mode

Other Stuff

This game was made with Rpgmaker XP

TEAM:
Me: Creater, Eventer, Mapper, Storyline, Spriter (in training), Scripter (in training)

Reasons for making this game:
I decided to make this game to get better at scripting, spriting, and map making. Hopefully, I will receive some help with these topics but I'm planning for this game to be a mostly solo game. After I become better at scripting, spriting, and mapping, then I will make a game with possibly more fakemon (I don't know, sometimes fakemon take away from the whole "pokemon" feeling), and definately more features (like maybe something other than a pokegear, or a new pokedex system).

POSITIONS NEEDED:
Character Spriter: Overworld and Battle Sprites (PM me for exact dimensions)
Fakemon Spriter: Front / Back Battle sprites (Shiny and Regular) and Icons (again, PM me for exact dimensions)
Composer: For Fakemon Cries / City Music / Battle Music
Advanced Scripter: For adding in a world map function to the pokegear, customizing menu, customizing battle screen, etc.

SIGNING UP:
Just tell me your timezone, an example of your work, which position you are signing up for, and your username

ADDED FEATURES:
(1)New Starters, and new Legendaries. About 18 new fakemon (starters +3 new legendaries, and six new evolutions. I wont tell you the new evolutions, but at least one of them will be an Eeveelution)
(2)New Team: Team Glyph
(3)New Region: Monai
(4)Starters: Searkit, Agwam, Plansith
(5)New Battle System

Last edited:

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
Well? Any suggestions? Do you guys like the story?

PS: I'm not on my computer right now, but when I can get on it, I'll update the screenshots because I changed the houses to DP style ones.

Years
It all happens far, far too fast. If this Maximus guy had worked out everything at that point (which is unlikely enough in itself, considering he's making a huge amount of assumptions), why the heck would he capture the player's mother and not the two defenceless kids who contain the Essences. In fact, why capture anyone at all? Why are they even in the town when they're going to a cave? If I was Maximus, I'd save the fireworks for when I'd actually awakened the beasts. I'm also not sure why the player would think the fastest route to awakening one of the long-dead spirit Pokemon would be challenging a gym leader who happens to use the same type. Surely finding some kind of sage would be easier. How does this Ian kid know everything anyway? Why isn't he captured?

The light-shade duality is an interesting one, so good work there, but the "endless struggle" thing reeks of Hoenn and Sinnoh myth. More originality is always a good thing. And why is Latias here at all?

One more thing. Showing front walls, as you have done on your maps, is a bit unusual. Look at other interior maps and you'll see it's normally just black space.

Anyway, there's some thoughts. Hope they're helpful.

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
It all happens far, far too fast. If this Maximus guy had worked out everything at that point (which is unlikely enough in itself, considering he's making a huge amount of assumptions), why the heck would he capture the player's mother and not the two defenceless kids who contain the Essences. In fact, why capture anyone at all? Why are they even in the town when they're going to a cave? If I was Maximus, I'd save the fireworks for when I'd actually awakened the beasts. I'm also not sure why the player would think the fastest route to awakening one of the long-dead spirit Pokemon would be challenging a gym leader who happens to use the same type. Surely finding some kind of sage would be easier. How does this Ian kid know everything anyway? Why isn't he captured?

The light-shade duality is an interesting one, so good work there, but the "endless struggle" thing reeks of Hoenn and Sinnoh myth. More originality is always a good thing. And why is Latias here at all?

One more thing. Showing front walls, as you have done on your maps, is a bit unusual. Look at other interior maps and you'll see it's normally just black space.

Anyway, there's some thoughts. Hope they're helpful.

Thanks for your advice. First off, why he captured the player's mother, I can't tell you. Thats one of the main plotlines of the game. Secondly, why he didn't capture the kids, is for me to know and for you to find out. For your question about the cave, I forgot to tell you: the entrance to the cave is inside the town. I also forgot to mention that the gym leaders are different in Monai. They are sort of like sages in the way that they are chosen because they research the different types of pokemon that they specialize in. Whenever someone needs help on a specific pokemon, they can go to a gym leader, but they must battle them first to prove that they are worthy. Ian knows about the legend because Maximus told him. Why Maximus told him, again, is for me to know and for you to find out. As the story progresses, Ian begins to change because of what Maximus tells him. It's all part of Maximus' plan.

Now, to address the part about Maximus' assumptions: I'm going to change that part. I'll make it so that they find the two essences, but then, the essences fuse themselves with you and Ian because they have been without a moral host for much to long and they sense potential in you. Maximus is surprised but then leaves the cave muttering something about the Void. The rest of Team Glyph follows him. Then, when you go back home, Ian talks to you about the legend and what just happens, battles you to test his strength, and then leaves, promising to make the legend come true so that he will be the master of the shadow.

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
Okay guys, I just edited the story again. I'm not getting many replies... Is my game just bad or something?

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Okay guys, I just edited the story again. I'm not getting many replies... Is my game just bad or something?

It's really quite generic and blends in with all the first time games quite well, if that's the info you're looking for.

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
I updated the screenshots and I still need a spriter and advanced scripter. right now I'm in the process of mapping the region. I'm going to map everything first, and then do all of the events, battles, etc. After that, I'm going to start customizing the menu and battle system.

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
hey guys, I edited the graphics once again and changed the starter town again. I'll post some screenies either today or tomorrow.

It's really quite generic and blends in with all the first time games quite well, if that's the info you're looking for.

Do you have any advice to make it better? It would be appreciated!

And also, for an update, I have a spriter and am in the process of getting a scripter (they haven't PMed me back yet)

*UPDATE*

Hey again. I added the region map. I can't believe I forgot that! It's in the attachments

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
hey guys, I edited the graphics once again and changed the starter town again. I'll post some screenies either today or tomorrow.

Do you have any advice to make it better? It would be appreciated!

And also, for an update, I have a spriter and am in the process of getting a scripter (they haven't PMed me back yet)

*UPDATE*

Hey again. I added the region map. I can't believe I forgot that! It's in the attachments

Well... Right now it looks like a first attempt in concept. Its basically just another Pokemon game with the same stuff with new names.

Generally people in fangames like to see stuff that sets it apart from the traditional formula that has been Pokemon. Gamefreak already does that on a much better scale, what point is there to just make the same thing again?

Its a good thing for a beginner to try, but in my experience you won't finish. Its just how things work. If you want to make it good, just do what you want and learn. Don't try to get people to join or anything. Practice your skills and try to make it yourself. Use tutorials and such.

I started trying to make a game solo. It was- bad. Very first game like. A lot like this. It ended eventually as I saw games with quality better enough that I moved onto being parts of teams with games that also didn't finish. Lately I've learned that if a game is going to be finished, you need a team of the best, or a concept that's doable within your own skills. Thats how I'm approaching my current game.

TheMarkCrafter

roses are red, violets are blue, i used to break r
Years
Hey, i am quitting the team.
If you want me to stay, let me a trainer spriter.

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
Sorry Snivy, I don't need a trainer spriter. If you want to be a trainer spriter, find another team

**Kinda Major Edit**

I'm going to add another story that has been forming in my mind. Tell me if you guys like it.

And to KingSnivy, I never accepted you into the group because you never showed my an example of your work. when I PMed you, I said I wanted a Fakemon spriter. If you didn't want to do that, then:
(1) You should have said so when you replied. Instead, you basically said "Sure! I'll do some sprites!"
(2) After you realized that you didn't want to do fakemon sprites, PM me instead of announcing it on my thread.

This thread is for my game. It is for people who want to help me, and for people to see my work. Its not for people who were never really part of my team complaining that I won't let them be a trainer spriter

Last edited:

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
So does anyone have an opinion about the two stories? I'm in the process of mapping out the region right now. I'm going to map out everything, and then do the events and gyms and basically the story, and after that, I'll customize the trainer sprites and the new battle system

Valora17

Something Memorable?
Years
Your stories seem highly undeveloped and kind of bland. Their doesn't seem to be anything that makes your game stick out from the rest. I mean, sure their seem to be other ways to obtain badges and what-not, but is that enough to make this a real game instead of a recreation of an existing game?

I think, so that you don't have to keep asking for opinions, you should look at your stories and outline how everything plays out and how it works compared to other games. Then create your story more in-depth or with more uniqueness.

hope this helps :)

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
Because you're asking- It's not that it's bad. but that it's a generic looking startup project.

Theres a lot of new startup fangames on pokecommunity, using a starter kit, some fakemon, new region, etc.
Lots of them would give up in a month, especially if it's their first game. (took me 3 tries and in 8 years to actually get a far along project)

Story is workable, just needs good pacing and you'll be all set. Just keep on working on it. Do what you're doing,
once you get enough progress for the Showcase, then the thread will probably be buzzing along.

Just keep on working on it,

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
thanks for the advice. I've stopped production on shadowgale for a while so I can learn how to script better

TheMarkCrafter

Years
If you want the screenshots looks better, Press F8.

Why your mother is the Champion of Monai?

Last edited:

TheAngryPidove

Don't Make A Pigeon Angry
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 25, 2011
If you want the screenshots looks better, Press F8.

Why your mother is the Champion of Monai?

Why isn't she? :laugh:

Too bad you've stop producing, though to script better, I can understand.
The game looks promising: good, but not so over-the-top that it won't ever be finished.

Also, it would be nice if we could see some pics of the starters!

Turtwig26

The Omniponent
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
I'm going to update the first post soon. I've made a lot of changes to everything and i can't wait to post it!

TheMarkCrafter

Years
Sorry Snivy, I don't need a trainer spriter. If you want to be a trainer spriter, find another team

**Kinda Major Edit**

I'm going to add another story that has been forming in my mind. Tell me if you guys like it.

And to KingSnivy, I never accepted you into the group because you never showed my an example of your work. when I PMed you, I said I wanted a Fakemon spriter. If you didn't want to do that, then:
(1) You should have said so when you replied. Instead, you basically said "Sure! I'll do some sprites!"
(2) After you realized that you didn't want to do fakemon sprites, PM me instead of announcing it on my thread.

This thread is for my game. It is for people who want to help me, and for people to see my work. Its not for people who were never really part of my team complaining that I won't let them be a trainer spriter

You're breaking a rule of the PC. You must NEVER say about PMs at the Pokecommunity topics/threads/posts.
i will show you..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back