• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Returning Characters (Speculation)

Years
"Once every few years, the Champions of each region gather and compete to see who is the strongest! An interesting idea, don't you agree?"
I'd kinda forgotten about that. It really would be amazing if we could battle the likes of Lance, Steven/Wallace, Cynthia, Alder, and so on. And I think that it's a distinct possibility- Game Freak seem to be all about trying new things, and while having all the Champions in one place might seem totally "fan-service"-ish, I don't think it can be ruled out entirely.
redjacketalchemist said:
As for the Champion thing, it makes me wonder- assuming they go for the Champions-Free-For-All thing, and if we do get the former Champions (Lance/Steven/Cynthia), what happened to the other player characters? Unless former Champions also participate in it, but...they aren't the Champions, so...o-o?
I know what you mean, but look at Red in GSC/HGSS. They acknowledge that Red beat Blue at the Pokemon League, but they just kinda ignore the fact that Red hasn't taken residence at the Pokemon League as Champion, Lance is just there. So when it comes to that sort of thing I guess the Champions just happen to be whoever Game Freak decides it is, even if it might seem a little contradictory of certain things.

As for other characters, I'm anticipating that we'll see Bianca working at Professor Juniper's lab still, and perhaps we'll see Cheren somewhere too. As for the previous Player characters... That might be cool too, but they'd really have to be creative as to how they'd include them, in my opinion.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Cheren and Bianca will probably make an appearance in B2/W2, and they'll probably look older and have powerful Pokémon. N should come back as well, since he was such a hit with the fans.

And I'm hoping to see some characters from R/S/E, to hint at their remakes!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years

I know what you mean, but look at Red in GSC/HGSS. They acknowledge that Red beat Blue at the Pokemon League, but they just kinda ignore the fact that Red hasn't taken residence at the Pokemon League as Champion, Lance is just there. So when it comes to that sort of thing I guess the Champions just happen to be whoever Game Freak decides it is, even if it might seem a little contradictory of certain things.

... As for the previous Player characters... That might be cool too, but they'd really have to be creative as to how they'd include them, in my opinion.
Honestly, HG/SS especially is a huge gray area in regards to who's Champion. I mean, if you played as the girl, does it mean she's completely forgotten or does it mean that she originally beat the League, then Red came around later (perhaps with another Rocket insurgence sometime between FR/LG and HG/SS) after your character had left the position of Champion? And regardless of that, I've always felt that Lance took over as Champion because Red decided he was fed up with waiting in room 5 at Indigo Plateau and wanted to disappear from public view.

The only thing that's keeping me from wanting to see previous player characters (God knows I'd die a happy fan if Leaf came back) is how the whole thing would be executed. How would it be decided whether the males or females show up (would it be based on your B2/W2 character's gender, choices you make in game, or what) and how their team members would be decided. It's something that GF would have to tread on lightly if they decided to pursue that.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Cheren and Bianca will probably make an appearance in B2/W2, and they'll probably look older and have powerful Pokémon. N should come back as well, since he was such a hit with the fans.

And I'm hoping to see some characters from R/S/E, to hint at their remakes!
I can see Cheren having powerful Pokémon (and I'd love to see him as the champion), but I'd want Bianca to return as the professor's assistant. Or an assistant for Juniper, which would mean Juniper returning as well. She definitely wouldn't be the main professor, but if Akuroma is evil, at the end she could be? :B

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

I can see Cheren having powerful Pokémon (and I'd love to see him as the champion), but I'd want Bianca to return as the professor's assistant. Or an assistant for Juniper, which would mean Juniper returning as well. She definitely wouldn't be the main professor, but if Akuroma is evil, at the end she could be? :B

I'd love to see Bianca back with her own Pokemon, too. <3
Like, everything from her original team barring the monkey and starter. <3

Cheren would be neat. It'd be cool if he were Champ, but it'd also be cool if he were just a trainer you could chat with and junk.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

Honestly, HG/SS especially is a huge gray area in regards to who's Champion. I mean, if you played as the girl, does it mean she's completely forgotten or does it mean that she originally beat the League, then Red came around later (perhaps with another Rocket insurgence sometime between FR/LG and HG/SS) after your character had left the position of Champion? And regardless of that, I've always felt that Lance took over as Champion because Red decided he was fed up with waiting in room 5 at Indigo Plateau and wanted to disappear from public view.

The only thing that's keeping me from wanting to see previous player characters (God knows I'd die a happy fan if Leaf came back) is how the whole thing would be executed. How would it be decided whether the males or females show up (would it be based on your B2/W2 character's gender, choices you make in game, or what) and how their team members would be decided. It's something that GF would have to tread on lightly if they decided to pursue that.

Leaf, Crystal, and Lyra don't exist outside of their specific Games. Generation 1 and 2 originally had only Male protagonists so if they come back they'll only bring in the males.

For Gen 3 and Gen 4 they are most likely to use the Females due to Anime related counterparts, they could also bring in their Anime teams like how Red is a mixture of Yellow and Manga information.

If they don't do either, then they'll randomly choose Brendon or May for Gen 3 and Lucas or Dawn for Gen 4, but Gens 1 and two would be Red and Ethan.

Champion wise I kinda still feel it'll be Lance(Kanto/Johto), Steven(Hoenn), Cynthia(Sinnoh).

Maybe we'll get some old E4 Members to battle or talk to. Would like to see Bruno meet with Marshall. Would love to see how Karen would react to Grimsley too.

Maybe Detriarch (sp?) could come back to assist Caitlyn.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
And how does the fact that they didn't appear in the first games automatically exclude them from appearing again? The remakes are considered valid games, so I don't quite follow that logic. If anything, they should be included because they were left out of their respective original games - to give them fair screen time. And as I said the anime should have no bearing on who shows up in the games - they're two totally different aspects of the franchise.

Oh the heck with it, I think we just need to forget the whole playable character thing altogether. It's just one big can of worms because no matter which characters show up or who's on their respective team, someone's gonna be unhappy.

So actually, Lance, Steven, and Cynthia (and your character) would be the most logical choice, if GF were to go through with this idea.

I would support a "glasses-wearing" Elite Four get-together with Lorelei, Lucian, and Shauntal.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Possibly!! That initial trailer thing looks like her, so... :x Juniper, that is.

I'd love to see Bianca back with her own Pokemon, too. <3
Like, everything from her original team barring the monkey and starter. <3

Cheren would be neat. It'd be cool if he were Champ, but it'd also be cool if he were just a trainer you could chat with and junk.

Oh so this random profound dude? They could do that and say Cheren was champion once but decided not to take the job and instead travel the region. :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Oh so this random profound dude? They could do that and say Cheren was champion once but decided not to take the job and instead travel the region. :3

Yeah ya know, maybe he just chills out in Victory Road and he's just like, the cool awesome guy who will give you little tips and junk and be able to be battled. He'd be a cool dude to just have in the game. :'D
Like they did with Steven kinda in HG/SS. The most he did was give you a Pokemon and asked for a trade. Other than that, nothing important, but he was neat to have. c:

Years
I hope they don't reuse the Cynthia mechanic again. She had appeared in way too many games...It's time for someone else to take the role of the recurring character from a different region.
...And if there's existed no reapprearances of characters from the original BW, especially characters that contribute to the plot like Cheren, Bianca, and (especially) N and Ghetis, then Game Freak is an idiot.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020

Shauntal might not have a place in Unova now, though. If there's a new Elite Four I don't think she has any other connections to the region other than maybe knowing Cynthia? Don't think her entire existence could be in Undella. :x
Oh I thought about this and to be honest I wouldn't mind Shauntal dropping out of the Elite 4 to open her very own library. Don't know how much purpose it could serve in Unova, but it's just a thought. That way she'll still be in the games too! n_n

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Oh I thought about this and to be honest I wouldn't mind Shauntal dropping out of the Elite 4 to open her very own library. Don't know how much purpose it could serve in Unova, but it's just a thought. That way she'll still be in the games too! n_n

Maybe she could be the one with the filming studio! 8D
Like, her books were so great they turned into movies and she loved it so much she became a producer or director! 8D
Either way, she was my favorite character, and I want her back. ;;
Maybe Caitlin could open a hotel that provides the comfiest beds in the Unova region. xD
I honestly wouldn't mind her being out of the Elite Four, either.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Her library could also be where Lenora's gym used to be actually. :x Of course she probably won't be accessible easily, but oh well, she'll still have a purpose.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Maybe she could be the one with the filming studio! 8D
Like, her books were so great they turned into movies and she loved it so much she became a producer or director! 8D
Either way, she was my favorite character, and I want her back. ;;
Maybe Caitlin could open a hotel that provides the comfiest beds in the Unova region. xD
I honestly wouldn't mind her being out of the Elite Four, either.
Not that I see Caitlin opening a hotel at all, but it would be nice to have one in Unova. After all, these games are based off of New York.
Her library could also be where Lenora's gym used to be actually. :x Of course she probably won't be accessible easily, but oh well, she'll still have a purpose.
Nacrene City seems like the only suitable place for a library really. But as long as Shauntal returns, I'll be happy.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years

Not that I see Caitlin opening a hotel at all, but it would be nice to have one in Unova. After all, these games are based off of New York.

Nacrene City seems like the only suitable place for a library really. But as long as Shauntal returns, I'll be happy.
Me too on both counts. Hotels would be welcome as a place for trainers to sleep and relax for a change. And Shauntal in any capacity would be nice to see.

But if there's gonna be a hotel, could it be a national brand like Quality Inn? Too many hotels/inns in RPG's are shady no-name operations xD

*Obviously I'm jk on the above point, lol*

Beth

DEAD ACCOUNT
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2012
I'd like to see Cheryl.
We never really got a story out of her with DPP.
It's kinda like, help me get through the forest, OK BAI!!

IKawaiiThief

Summer Sakura Trainer!
Years
I can see Cynthia returning in these games, since she mentioned the Champions League thingamabob in BW. I can also see Alder returning, maybe not as Champion, but definitely as a secret post-game boss or something after you beat the E4. Darach's character also was pretty interesting, to the point where GF actually revealed some info on him, but little is known about Darach as it stands, so maybe he won't be an E4 trainer anymore, but I can really see Darach returning, and we'll definitely learn more about him too. N may return as well, seeing as his dragon is the one being merged with Kyurem.

ShadowStriatonTriad

Shadow Triad Elite
Years
Striaton Trio

I would personally prefer a reappearance of the Striaton Gym Leaders (or at least Dento.) I also think it would be interesting to learn a bit more about the mysterious Shadow triad. Maybe they could reveal the Shadow Triad as the Striaton Trio in the next game (though it's not likely, it would be an interesting plot twist that has been done before in previous games.)

Guy

just a guy
Years
I would personally prefer a reappearance of the Striaton Gym Leaders (or at least Dento.) I also think it would be interesting to learn a bit more about the mysterious Shadow triad. Maybe they could reveal the Shadow Triad as the Striaton Trio in the next game (though it's not likely, it would be an interesting plot twist that has been done before in previous games.)
The Striaton Gym Leaders being the Shadow Triad in secret would be an excellent twist. I know I've seen a lot of people comment about that before. It'd also give another good reason as to why they weren't in the Gym Leaders vs. Sages showdown in Black and White other than Bianca not making it to them in time.

1 thing -- only!
N Must be back!! Or Else...O_o
I think it's inevitable for N to return. Unless GameFreak really wants N to go off to another region (Hoenn maybe?), there were a lot of questions left to be answered after N ran away at the end. All of which could really be brought into light should he make a return to Unova after two years.

Back