• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever ditch your starters?

Years
Now, our starter Pokemon is usually our partner throughout the game cos it's our first Pokemon.

But some people like to part ways with their starter when they get a better Pokemon.

So, have you ever ditched your starter when playing a Pokemon game?

Arumus

Insert user title here..
Years
I never have to be truthful. I always plan my team with my starter in mind, as they aren't bad Pokemon at all.

Years
I have and plan on it on my first run of White 2. When I want to make a 6 party team, every single time I don't want to be bogged down to the Fire/Water/Grass. I might not use any of those types. Every now and then when I start up, say Platinum. I might want to have a Luxray in my final party and in that final party I decided not to use a starter, I just catch it as early as possible, then put Turtwig/Chimchar/Piplup in the PC.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I ditched my starter in SoulSilver for my Cynthia team and I ditched my starter in White. Other than that, I've never ditched it before.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I ditch them all the time in DPPt and BW(2). :) I rarely ever ditch them in RSE though. Those are my favorite starters, plus RSE is the most nostalgic for me, so I'd feel like I'm leaving behind a friend if I ditched it. I do for challenges though, so that's really the only time I don't go through the game with my starter.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I haven't ditched my starter ever, because despite how bad the starter seems competitively, I keep it no matter what because having it with me throughout the entire game makes me feel...quite attached to it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2022
What heartless being could ditch a starter?? My starters usually end up being tanks that can solo the E4, so I can't ditch them.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
The protagonist is such a special snowflake for getting something rare; yes, I prefer to esteem lesser creatures.

Years
I used to ditch my starter, but as of the 4th and 5th Gens, I keep my starter.

It's just that I can't let go of my partner.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Hell yeah, I ditched my first ever Pokemon game's starter from the beginning.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
I feel like I pretty much have to whenever I complete the game/beat the elite four and whatnot. When I picture my future team, I generally don't include any starter in it unless it has competitive potential, so I try to stray from utilizing any starter that I used for storyline purposes and such.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I have never ditched my starter before. There has been times where it wasn't in my party and in a box, but there's always a good reason behind that such as I'm training other Pokemon. My starter is always part of my team.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Years
To be honest, in every Pokemon game, I never ditch my starters at all. I mean, I use the all the time and usually, it's my highest level Pokemon... So, I never ditch my starters...

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I don't think I would. Perhaps if I was training other Pokemon but in a proper team the starter will always be there.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I do all the time as my team doesn't use the starter pokemon much, but there is a pokemon I always have in my team. that's another story.

Tox

fight me
Years
I usually ditch my starters apart from RBG/FRLG in which I have two because I can't bring myself to drop them from my team. I think it's a bit predictable to have them and noobish to have more than one, so I sort of contradict myself but oh well.

Back