• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolution w/ Stones

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
So I've decided to evolve my Panpour into Simipour right before I battle Burgh on Black as I don't need Crunch and my team is Bug-weak. However, every other time I've played through Black (Except my first one - I always go all n00b and throw stones at pokémon the second I get them on my initial playthrough) I've always delayed until my monkey has learnt all its' level-up moves. I generally do this with all stone-evolving pokémon, although Eevee seems to have become an exception where I only wait for Baton Pass before evolving.

My question is, do you? Do you have a general rule, or do you adapt to the pokémon and game? Would you learn all level-up moves or just until the one you want?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 25, 2014
So far I've only bothered to delay evolution with Floette/Florges. I know Florges learns the moves I wanted on Floette but it has them at level 1 so I'd have to get Heart Scales to give to the Move Relearner and I'd much rather save them for either a Pokémon that has a move at level 1 that it can't naturally learn until after level 50 or if it only gets it through the Move Relearner. I know I'll delay evolution when I get around to raising a Clefable because it only gets Moonlight and Moonblast as Clefairy.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
i remember evolving my vulpix into ninetails back when i was playing leaf green last year. sadly, this was before it had learned flamethrower and i was just about to face Erika. i felt like such a noob since i forgot that stone evos rarely learn moves after they evolve.

to answer your question, i usually stick an exp share on the Pokemon and let it learn all of its level up moves BEFORE i evolve it, but since i was doing this mid-run i guess i had forgotten.

i ended up having to buy the flamethrower TM from the game corner by the way. it only took about half my money haha.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I tend to level it up until I get the moves I want, and then evolve. I'm not someone for stone evolutions, seeing as how many Pokemon have the ability to learn moves via level up cut when they get a stone used on them. A perfect example would be Growlithe. I have to grind the ♥♥♥♥ out of it if I intend to use a stone, just so I could get good moves like Flamethrower.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm sort of like above; if there's any move that I'd like my Pokémon to learn, I'll wait until it learns to actually evolve. I usually look at websites like Pokémon Database and Serebii to see what Pokémon learns which move before they evolve, and if there's anything that catches my eye, I'll make it a target and try to get a hold of said attack. If there's none, then I'll simply evolve and train.

From time to time, I wind up forgetting that some Pokémon are evolved by using stones, and when that happens, I continue leveling it up until I simply can't anymore. It won't evolve regardless how hard I train, as we already know, but until I hit the roadblock, I'm just not able to realize it, sadly. Last time this had occurred was with Togetic; for a good while, I thought that it didn't need anything to evolve, and all you had to do is win battles and make it love you. Was pretty frustrated when I found out that I was wrong, haha.

Years
I wait until they learn a particular move I'm wanting, not necessarily every move they can possibly learn because if I'm not going to use them there's no point waiting that long :)

The only exception is Eevee - as it's evolving into a Pokémon of another type, I evolve it as early as I can to make sure it levels up with moves of its correct typing :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
For me, I always evolve them right away because most of my movesets are a combination of egg moves and TMs.

Years
Most Pokémon I try to get certain moves before evolving them. When I use, say, Floette in XY, I tend to evolve it at Level 33, because that's when it gets Petal Blizzard. While it gets a few other moves by level-up, Florgés learns practically all of Floette's level-up moves by Heart Scale. The one move I would really care about, Moonblast, is learned at Level 46, and by that time i'd be awful close to the Move Relearner when Florgés could get it, anyway. So yeah, I evolve it once I have Petal Blizzard.

Just as an example of how i've done my stone evolutions.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
The answer is obvious... ^^ They're supposed to be evolved once they learn the moves you want them to learn. For example, in Black 2 I waited until Growlithe learned Flare Blitz before evolving him.

In some cases the evolved form gets some moves as starter moves, so, as long as you have Heart Scales, it doesn't matter when you evolve it. But these cases are rare. In other cases, like Murkrow, the evolved form has a different moveset, which makes evolution a bit more complicated.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I level up my Pokemon until they have all the moves I want, then evolve them with a stone. It's become less of an issue with unlimited use TMs these days, though, as many Pokemon don't need as many level-up moves to fill out their movesets.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Same as the others; obviously you want to have the Pokemon learn the level up moves you want before evolving it. If I don't need them to learn anything, I like to evolve them as soon as I can, but some stones are pretty rare so I get stuck with the unevolved Pokemon for a while. If I'm REALLY impatient I like to trade myself stones / TMs / shards / whatever in order to evolve the Pokemon as quick as possible.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Like a lot of the people who posted ahead of me, I usually look at veekun to see what moves I want them to have, and evolve them as soon as they get to the level where they learn the last move I will actually have them keep. The only problem I really had with this method was with my Florges in X; Serebii did have all of Floette's level-up moves and I was really worried that I was going to evolve it too soon.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
I usually throw a stone at it the minute I catch it and let my TMs do majority of the work for an in game Pokémon (except Staryu I always make sure that knows Power Gem).

However post game I usually put a bit more effort into it and level them up till they get the moves I need.

Back