• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HD Ports & Remakes

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
banjotooie_temple.jpg

Over the last few years, we've been graced by companies by blessing us - or otherwise, their want to suck more money out of our pockets - with ports of classics to the next generation of video game consoles. From Banjo Kazooie on the Xbox 360 to Shadow of the Colossus on the PS3, Star Fox 64 on the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console to Super Mario 64 DS on the Nintendo DS, there have been quite an array of video games that have been remastered to selected consoles. So my question is: what is your opinion on video game companies deciding to remake and update their classics to their newer consoles? Do you think they are satisfying the masses by doing this, or that it's just another way for video game companies to make a quick buck? What are your favorite remakes that have been made? Which video game remake do you think has vastly improved the most over it's predecessor and why? Which video game remake do you think was a complete dud when ported over? What games would you like to see be ported and remastered for the Wii U, Xbox One, and PS4?

Feel free to discuss all entities of this topic below!​

Yukari

Honestly I like remakes, especially of retro games. It allows the game to appeal to new generation of gamers. Other remakes are good as long as they add a significant amount of content, but whenever it barely adds anything then they're just trying to milk the game and get more cash out of our pocket.

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
I like remakes, especially when I was never able to play the original game. I get a new gaming experience in better quality than I would have gotten if I had played the original.
My only bad point is that if a game is to be updated, it should be completely updated. What I am mad about is Kirby's dream collection for wii, featuring the first six canon titles in the series. Two of these games were originally in black and white. And they were still in black and white in the remake! If your are going to remake a game, at least give it colour!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I like them. Gives people a chance to play something they might have missed out on when they were younger or even before they were born. My first game was a remake, actually. Super Mario All-Stars was a nice beefed up take on the classic SMB games and for a long time, I had no clue that I wasn't playing the original haha. Obviously I'm a huge fan of the HD port of the Jak trilogy on PS3. ;)

My only bad point is that if a game is to be updated, it should be completely updated. What I am mad about is Kirby's dream collection for wii, featuring the first six canon titles in the series. Two of these games were originally in black and white. And they were still in black and white in the remake! If your are going to remake a game, at least give it colour!

Then that would be considered a port, not a remake. There's a difference between the two. If it was a remake, it would have been completely redone with graphics similar to, say, Return to Dreamland. The point was to showcase them as they were, so...yeah. It makes sense that they're still in black and white.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I like remakes, especially when I was never able to play the original game. I get a new gaming experience in better quality than I would have gotten if I had played the original.
Dream Collection wasn't a remake or remastering, it was just a compilation

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
Years
Hmmm...I see. I understand you guys. Well, it would have been nice if it was a remake... Then it would be in colour.

New point. Some remakes become so different it's almost a new experience from the original. Take Super Mario 64 DS. They added so much, like minigames, multiplayer, new characters, new stages, and more stars. It feels so different than the original 64 game that it could have been its own game! I think that's really good because it's giving the people who played the original title something new to explore in one of their favourite classics.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I think Super Mario 64 DS was great. Not so much for the minigames, while a fun diversion, but the core game content for worlds and stars was good. Although I didn't like the extra characters.

I would like a Majora's Mask remake to have extra mini dungeons - like Ocarina of Time's Ice Cavern or Beneath the Well. Not big in scope but small optional things to beef it up

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I do like remakes that keep things nice and nostalgic, but also fresh, updated, and add enough to make a name for itself. I personally think HeartGold and SoulSilver did a great job of that. Something familiar, but new. A great balance.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
I think Super Mario 64 DS was great. Not so much for the minigames, while a fun diversion, but the core game content for worlds and stars was good. Although I didn't like the extra characters.

I thought it was really odd how you started off as Yoshi instead of Mario, but overall I didn't really mind the addition of new characters. What exactly didn't you like about them? Just curious.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
-SM64DS is a great remake, especially on the 3DS. Virtual Analog is almost spot on, and when you minimize the game to 1:1 mode on the 3DS/2DS(like a DS Micro)its amazing to look at.
-Zero Mission for the amazing comic book style. It felt like you were an actual superhero.
-WWHD. The cartoon look was arguably better then the original, and I prefer the natural lighting compared to the weird baked in CG style of the original.

I think its safe to say that Nintendo knows how to do a remake.

Sir Codin

Anybody remember the gamecube remake of Resident Evil 1? BEST. REMAKE. EVER.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I thought it was really odd how you started off as Yoshi instead of Mario, but overall I didn't really mind the addition of new characters. What exactly didn't you like about them? Just curious.
They just didn't really seem to play that well or have anything to add. Yoshi felt pretty defenceless at no real benefit. Wario... why would Wario be there? XD A lot of what made them special was just moves that Mario had on the N64 but got taken away from him on the DS

-SM64DS is a great remake, especially on the 3DS. Virtual Analog is almost spot on, and when you minimize the game to 1:1 mode on the 3DS/2DS(like a DS Micro)its amazing to look at.
-Zero Mission for the amazing comic book style. It felt like you were an actual superhero.
-WWHD. The cartoon look was arguably better then the original, and I prefer the natural lighting compared to the weird baked in CG style of the original.

I think its safe to say that Nintendo knows how to do a remake.
I adore Zero Mission. Even not as a remake, it is a brilliant game.

And of that list TWWHD is the least impressive

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Codin

Everything is too goddamn bright in The Wind Waker HD, especially the lighting. It's like they cranked bloom effects to the max when making it.

Back