• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What inspired you to make a Pokémon ROM Hack?

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
Years
Well, actually, I found the original games cool of course, but sometimes I was sad because a certain legendary Pokémon wasn't available (without events or not at all), so I wanted to make a hack where you could obtain all legendaries.

Right now, the answer would be: because I am watching the series, and I want to 'remake' the series (not fully, but at least some of the events and persons).

Years
  • Age 60
  • Seen May 22, 2014
Wanted to make a cool, personalized game for my friends. I occasionally put signs around saying, "Alex, you probably still haven't evolved your spheal" (he never evolves spheal. Gives it an everstone.) or "Harry, this next gym is gonna suuuuuck for you"

Fun stuff like that

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 24, 2014
When I was a little kid, I bought a "Pokemon Jade" cartridge from a used game shop for $10 using money I'd saved up from my allowance. I was really young, and I remember I had heard there was a 'green' Pokemon game in Japan (the very first Pokemon game, before it was translated as "Pokemon Blue" here). But, it turned out to be a pirated, hacked, badly Babelfish-translated copy of a Japanese game known as 'Telefang.' It was really, really awful.

Needless to say, when I realized what I had, I was the happiest kid ever! A super-secret hilariously bad pirate cartridge? NEAT-O! The hack was so bad that saving was disabled(!!!) so I could never progress past those first couple hours of gameplay at most, but I played it over and over anyway.

I found that old Jade cartridge a couple weeks ago and just thought, I should make my own super-secret hilarious Pokemon hack. (This time I won't disable the save function.) In the mean-time, Telefang is just... Amazing. Please look it up!

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Well it started when I randomly stumbled across Pokémon Brown one day and I was like: you can make your own Pokémon game? And then I saw Pokémon Ice and remember being blown away. It was like the coolest thing ever. And I wanted to do that too. I literally had been writing down ideas for my own Pokémon, regions, etc. for ages.

Then, when I finally got my own laptop, I joined PC, and the rest is history.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 29, 2016
Well I started playing Pokemon fire red 6 years ago and then started playing hacks but POKEMON PLATINUM for gba inspired me to make a pokemon hack and I am currently working on my first hack and It will be completed (may be) at start of 2015 :D

int

Banned
Years
Back in 2006 I played a gold hack, which's name I forgot. What actually put me to rom-hacking is the hack Light Platinum by WesleyFG which I found on this site. Since then, I wanted to make my own Pokémon game. Programming experience and experience as an engineer helps me a lot though. :P

Years
I was never able to play Generation IV and up games, because of the emulator issues. But one day I joined Pokémon Showdown and seen how cool those Pokémon were and I decided to find a way how to cheat them to my Fire Red, untill I learned that the only way to get them is thru hacking (guy on Yahoo Answers told me that and linked me to Pokécommunity). I started to hack since then, but at the time you couldn't insert new Pokémon without deleting other ones, so I quit after one month. But now when G3HS offers me ability to add them without replacing existing ones, I'm back again.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 3, 2017
I technically qualify for this topic I suppose.
I started Pokemon hacking today.

The hack I did for today was a test run based off of an idea I had earlier last year that somehow resurfaced.
The idea started with me thinking about what a Pokemon adventure in space would be like. Which then lead me to the idea of Pokemon as an open world styled game.
It's something I've never seen but it seemed plausible. And based on the results from today I definitely think there's room for it being a viable idea.

I've been pretty aware of the hacking community for a while. I was probably first exposed to it back at TRS Rockin' with the bootleg games. I also knew about some of the tools available thanks to Tamashii Hiroka and a few other YouTubers whose videos I glanced through.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 6, 2014
I never liked Nintendos maps they made, so began to create my own and i liked them much more :P

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2015
I played pokemon glazed and absolutely loved it. I wanted to make a hack of my own
so i started learning.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Pokemon Quartz was the first rom hack I ever played. And after playing a bunch of really awesome ones, I decided I wanted to try my hand at it, especially since I'm an aspiring game designer. I find it fun to alter games and turn them into something completely different. Plus it's always been a dream to create my own Pokemon game, and this is my chance.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I picked up Platinum after not playing pokemon since Gold Version, and I forgot how much I liked it. One day, I noticed some "let's play" YouTube videos of a ROM hack. (I think it was Pokemon Naranja). I quickly found out that tree was a big community centered around ROm hacking, and I knew that I wanted to do it, too. Now, 5 years later, here I am.

Queen Azura

Mistress of Midnight
Years
For me, my inspiration to create a ROM hack was actually the music of the games. I was listening to Pokemon Emerald's music for nostalgia, saw the soundfonts were available online, and thought to myself, "Hey, I could make my own Pokemon soundtracks!"

It didn't take long for that to progress into "I could make my own Pokemon game!"

It's going to be even rougher than I expected, but I'm pretty excited as I keep progressing and learning about hacking.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 7, 2016
I've always wanted to make my own video game~ Something unique, refreshing from the current pokemon games. And because, you know, no one likes to replay Ruby for the billionth time XD

The first I heard of the hack realm was from Ruby destiny playthroughs on youtube. Then some time later I found the glorious hack section on here.

bunny24680

Keep Catching, Keep Battling - It's a Pokemon Life
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 4, 2021
When I had finished playing Gen 3 games, I moved on to hacks and I was amazed how these hacks have entirely new storyline, new cities and routes and even new pokemon. It was like there is a new adventure everytime. I thought maybe I could also provide this world with a brand new adventure of my own.

Another thing was that I found that most hacks were incomplete like to onely 5-6
badges. I never liked that. I couldn't wait for new betas to come. So I decided to
make a complete hack once and for all.

I know I'm not very good at hacking but somehow, I think I created a good hack
named Pokemon Galacta!!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 1, 2014
I liked Ash Gray so much that I modified it to make it as good as possible.

Last edited:
Years
Started a few months ago but I basically only have a few maps and the story in mind for now since there's school and all. :[
My desire to make my own Pokemon game was there since Gold and Silver probably. I always loved the idea of creating my own game, giving life to whatever I wanted... I have a pretty nice imagination so I fantasized a lot about it. But I thought it was impossible, and when I eventually learned about hacking, I thought it was way too hard and time consuming for me... and it kinda is, haha.
But it's also way easier, somehow, that I imagined it to be, thanks to all the tools etc. And since it's very interesting anyway I'm happy to learn about it. :]

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 26, 2021
After having heard about pokemon hacks, i wanted to make my own because i found the normal games to easy.

Back