• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Blue-eyes (working on a YUGIOHxPokemon hack)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Introducing team Blue-eyes!
The hack this team is going to work on is a cross between Yugioh and pokemon, though you don't need in depth knowledge of either to help out. If you watched the Duelist Kingdom anime or read the manga, you know enough to help!
(This is a Fire Red hack)
Introduction to me:
Spoiler:

Why pokemon and Yugioh?
Spoiler:

I've been working on the game for over a month now, on and off. It's currently my summer break, and I'm going to college in just over a month. I think that the potential for this work is great but I know I can't finish it alone. I've learned a lot about scripting and mapping, but by no means am I an expert at either. Furthermore, I have little to no skills at any other technical aspect of hacking. There are several parts to making a game, and we need people working on all of them to make this work. The general categories are mapping, scripting, and spriting, although I don't think any person needs to be pigeonholed into one category. This has to be a team effort.
The story is fairly well known, and although slight modifications will be necessary, the main plot will follow the Duelist Kingdom arc of the Yugioh manga and anime. That means you start out by saving your grandpa from Kaiba, you beat the bad guys, and finally duel Pegasus in a final battle. There are no badges, you gain star chips instead. You need 10 starchips to get into the final tournament. Of course, there are only 8 badges, but you start out with a single chip at the start of the tournament and you beat Weevil, Rex, Bonz, Mako, the Paradox Brothers, etc to get more chips. The last starchip won't have a badge represent it, but you'll still need to get it before entering the castle.
Mapping will be somewhat more interesting than in a normal hack. This is because there will be no cities. There is a port, where you enter Duelist Kingdom, and there are shops and houses there. There are also rest-stops every once in a while, but no Pokemon Centers: you have to heal between routes in those buildings you have to go through to get to Saffron in the actual games. The mapping challenge will be to create a large island without cities, but with several different terrains.
The biggest challenge will be spriting. This is because Yugi doesn't use a Pikachu. In this game, all 150 Pokemon will be converted into Duel Monsters, starting with their sprites and extending to their base stats and move sets. The good thing is that these won't have to be drawn off the top of one's head: There is card artwork and anime/manga art to base it off of. The backs of monsters and their in party sprites might be tougher to make, however. While this will be the toughest part of the game, it will make this hack AWESOME! I already have a list or around 170 cards which have logical evolutions and are needed for type balance (which is skewed towards dragons). I also have a team list for most major duelists.

Now, of course, I hope there are people interested in helping me out. I wouldn't ask people to prove their worth to me without me proving myself to be decent at hacking games in general. As such, my progress in the hack has been attached at the bottom of this post. Feel free to play through and give us insight, even if you don't want a role in the team. I've completed up to your battle with Weevil on Duelist Kingdom Island. The spriting hasn't been done yet, so when a Charmeleon pops up on your screen it's supposed to be a Blue-Eyes white dragon, and Slowpoke is the head of Exodia. (Again, this is a hack of Fire Red).

If you've played through the hack (or not), decided I'm not a total scrub, and want to help out with the team, please fill out this application and post here:
Spoiler:

Team members:
Spoiler:

Thanks, and I hope you will enjoy playing/working on the game!

Last edited:

Lamp

back
Years
Well if no one is gonna Apply then i'll do it.

Position on Team: Beta tester/Alpha Tester
Past Experience: None.
Timezone: (UTC-5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Primary Contact: You can PM me Here or Skype (I'll Tell you Via PM)

Hope i can help! :)

Years
Well if no one is gonna Apply then i'll do it.

Position on Team: Beta tester/Alpha Tester
Past Experience: None.
Timezone: (UTC-5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Primary Contact: You can PM me Here or Skype (I'll Tell you Via PM)

Hope i can help! :)
Thanks for signing up. I'll keep you updated on the progress of the hack.

Is anyone else interested? I mean, at least try out the "free sample."

Malvitam

Malvitam is a rom in progress
Years
PoT: Mapper and testing (learning to script so i could try and help with that.)
Past Experience: Enough to help but i can't prove it.
TZ: UTC -4

I also like yugioh.

Years
wow, I'm a fan of yugioh so i like idea of this hack I'd like for u to pm for further notices

After this gets rolling I'll post a thread in developing hacks, so you can see what's going on from there.

PoT: Mapper and testing (learning to script so i could try and help with that.)
Past Experience: Enough to help but i can't prove it.
TZ: UTC -4

I also like yugioh.

Great! Do you have any proof of your mapping abilities?

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2020
Position on Team (what can you do to help this hack?): Spriter

Proof of previous work: Guess who can't post links here yet. Expect a PM.
Past Experience (not a requirement, but it's helpful):Just ROMs I've tinkered with by myself.
Timezone: UTC -5 (Central Time U.S/Canada)
Primary Contact (We as a team will need to be in contact together, so you will probably need to make a Skype account): PM/Email. I do not have a Skype.

Last edited:
Years
Position on Team (what can you do to help this hack?): Spriter

Proof of previous work: Guess who can't post links here yet. Expect a PM.
Past Experience (not a requirement, but it's helpful):Just ROMs I've tinkered with by myself.
Timezone: UTC -5 (Central Time U.S/Canada)
Primary Contact (We as a team will need to be in contact together, so you will probably need to make a Skype account): PM/Email. I do not have a Skype.

Welcome to the team!
We still need a couple more spriters as well as people who can help me with mapping and scripting.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
I beta tested this, (i know i am not a team member but whatever) and I got to say you need a area between the hometown and the boat. I got wiped on the boat, Why not put the school down there, have Yugi/ash fight his classmates as he heads to the boat. This would help the grinding. Also cut does not work (unless it is intentional as you are no further than that area) Just a heads up.

Years
I beta tested this, (i know i am not a team member but whatever) and I got to say you need a area between the hometown and the boat. I got wiped on the boat, Why not put the school down there, have Yugi/ash fight his classmates as he heads to the boat. This would help the grinding. Also cut does not work (unless it is intentional as you are no further than that area) Just a heads up.
Well, the point of leaving the ips patch out here was to allow anyone to play through and give advice, so thanks!
Right now, I'm trying to figure out why in the world cut doesn't work, since you do get the badge after beating Weevil (its on your trainer card). I've yet to fix it, though I have a feeling changing Weevil's trainer ID to Brock will do the trick.
As for the boat, I think the problem is that you can't predict the path of a person playing through it, so there's no way to guarantee they go up or down first. I want there to be a decent level up curve, but I also want all the trainers to be approximately the same level. I think I'll take your advice and force you to battle someone before you get on the boat, and then have them recommend you catch another pokemon and stock up on items.

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Thank you, Also I do like the idea of pokemon, but perhapes changing up a few names to make it work. Ie, Squirtle is now S.D.Magic, D.Magician, D. sorcerer. Bulba renamed to Red chick, red eyes, Skuldragon. Charmander can be Blue chick, Bludragon, and Shining d.
Also Pettie cat. Cacoon of E., gr8moth ltmatmoth.

BlindKnyttStories

Advance Hacker
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2013
Position on Team:Mapper and scripter

Proof of previous work:a few lackluster hacks i made not public cause i thought they needed more work

Past Experience:In terms of experience then i have been hacking for 5 years

Timezone:USA ET

Years
Position on Team:Mapper and scripter

Proof of previous work:a few lackluster hacks i made not public cause i thought they needed more work

Past Experience:In terms of experience then i have been hacking for 5 years

Timezone:USA ET

Can you pm me with an example map and/or script from one of the hacks. It doesn't have to be too extravagant, its just to show that you have some idea of what you're doing.

Germaniac

Victoria Concordia Crescit
Years
Good luck with this, I've been longing for a Pokémon hack about Yu-Gi-Oh!, we've got hacks about Digimon, Megaman and several others, sadly we haven't got any hack about Yu-Gi-Oh!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
アルセウス, please don't bump Team Discussion threads that haven't been posted in for over a month.

coolking49, if you would like this thread to be reopened just message either myself, giradialkia or karatekid552.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back