• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Vale Institute of Magic (M) (OOC/SU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years

Vale Institute of Magic

Background:
During World War II a certain type of ability was unearthed; the ability to use magic. Originally, this ability was disguised as bombs or other war machines further hidden by the theorems and hypotheses of world renowned scientists, such as Einstein. Weapons such as atomic bombs were in all actuality the byproduct of powerful earth magic, and incidences like the Chernobyl disaster originating from a misuse of fire magic. As a result of the destructive nature many of these magics possessed, the United Nations limited access to Mancers (magic users). But an increase of Mancers in society has spurned the need for education, both in application and control, to help ready mages and the common society to prepare for the public introduction of magic into society. This need for education created the need for specialized institutions to help teach new generations of magicians how to control their powers and how to apply them for the sake of society. Even though magic is being prepared for its public unveiling, it is still very much a secret from everyone other than Mancers and high ranking government officials.

One of the most prestigious and adaptive academies of magic resides in the United States of America mid-west region. Located in Wyoming is the Vale Institute of Magic, better known to most U.S. citizens as the Vale Institute of Higher Learning. For most, this school is the penultimate achievement for kids, as many who attend the school become very famous or important in society. This boarding school provides a rather desolate location with enough raw elements to give all five types of magic users (fire, water, metal, earth, and air) a sufficient amount of resources to work with.

Story:
Students are being enrolled under the pretense that they are there to learn how to control their magic. It is largely unknown what the current headmaster, Kristen Vale, has intended for the students, but rumor suggests that she doesn't agree with what the government would like for Mancers, which is for them to be primarily under service to the government.

To help train the students several teachers, each with their own specialty in magic, teach classes that focus not only on magic usage, but other subjects as well, such as magic history. After each day of classes the students are suggested to spar with each other to show their daily improvements. Additionally, the students are categorized depending on the student's usage of magic. Students that show positive and/or creative usage are graded higher than chaotic or overly destructive magic.

You:
You are a young Mancer who has recently received a letter to attend the Vale Institute of Magic. There could be several reasons as to why they wanted you; maybe you come from a long line of magic users or perhaps strange things have been occurring, such as water moving when you watch it, or fire seemingly following you. Either way, they want you to attend, and decide to do so. While attending Vale your overall goal will be to develop your abilities and to learn new magic.

Through the various lessons and extracurricular activities you will be allowed to gain new spells and elements. You decide whether or not your character can learn more than one element, but the more elements a character has the less they can "master" an element. In other words a character that dedicates their magic to one element will be stronger in that element than a person who knows two, and the person who knows two elements will be stronger at their elements than a person who knows three, so on and so on. That isn't to say that a person who knows more elements is weaker, since the more elements a person knows the better rounded they will be against other characters. Additionally, a character that knows a certain combination of elements (there are multiple) can learn special mutations of their magic that are stronger than basic elemental magic.

The School:
The school is divided in to three primary sections: the main building, recreation center, and student dorm. Each section has specific uses and are completely available to travel to, with the only exception being a few rooms in the main building.

Main Building: The main building consists of three floors, though the entire third floor is technically the headmaster's office. The cafeteria is located on the east wing of the first floor while the gym is located on the west wing. The cafeteria offers a wide selection of food, which changes daily and requests can be made. The gym is unlike normal gyms in that it is primarily designed to be used for practicing magic in sparring sessions. In the gym there are five "battlefields" that can be used. These five each specialize in an element. On the second floor are the student classrooms. Classes are based off of year of study, unless noted otherwise.

Dorms: There are five dorms, each for a specific element. The dorms are Platinum House (Metal), Sky Temple (Wind), Phoenix Nest (Fire), Kraken's Den (Water), and Gaia Dorm (Earth). Each dorm is accented with traits inspired by their elements, but individual rooms are virtually identical. Student rooms are well furnished, with each room having a high end computer, queen sized bed, and full bathroom. Also, if two people wish to share a room they may request their queen sized bed to be exchanged for two twin sized beds.

Recreation Center: The recreation center is the place to go if you want to have some unconditional fun. You can find all sort of stuff here, such as TV, games, and if you're feeling extra scrappy you can spar on a special neutral battlefield. A large hybrid swimming pool resides inside and outside of the recreation center. Half of the pool is inside while the other half is outside, and both halves can be separated by a retractable glass partition.

Magic and the Circle of Elements:

ValeIoM_zps8243fd2c.jpg

I'm sure by now you have noticed the circle above this paragraph. That circle is the Circle of Magic. It displays each element, their strength, and their weakness. Just to be clear Fire is strong against Metal, Metal is strong against Earth, Earth is strong against Wind, Wind is strong against Water, and Water is strong against Fire. The two elements in the middle circle will be explained in the first IC day, but for now they shouldn't concern you. Magic is currently restricted to these explicit elements, so that means a character knowing Water magic can use spells pertaining to water but not ice.

Rules:
1. All PC rules apply.
2. No God-Modding, period.
3. No bunnying, unless the person/s in question give permission.
4. Try to maintain proper grammar. Your fellow RPers will thank you for it.
5. All posts should be at least 100 words long. If a post would be shorter than that due to interaction discuss using a joint post.
6. You can't win everything. If you can't take a loss then this RP may not be for you.
7. The code is "Challenge me!!!"
8. This RP is rated M for mature/16+. Themes involving excessive gore, explicit bedroom scenes, or overt amounts of swearing are still banned.

Accepted List:
- Zane Reav (Colony)
- Shion Igna & Soren Kavanagh (Songbird)
- Sytano Morgan, Oscar DeMuere, and Imari Anselmi (Kenneth)
- Jason Barrett (siiadams)
- Maristella Reilly (Ziposaki)
- Yukio Higashi (Impossiperiod)
- Alma Sophia Jones (Nakuzami)
- Jack Marrick (Lord Sephear)
- Violett Fuerst-Shaw (Grif of Hearts)
- Guinevere Octavia Queen (tenthcompanion)
- Fire
- Water
- Metal
- Earth
- Earth
- Earth
- Wind

SU:
Name: (First, Last, Middle Optional)

Nickname: (Optional)

Element: (Fire, Water, Earth, Metal, or Air, refer to the available slots to see what elements are available)

Spells: (1-3 based on the element of your choice)

Appearance: (Picture, or 100 words)

Personality: (100 word minimum, preferably over 200)

History: (200 word minimum, preferably over 300)

Code: (To make sure you read the rules)

Other: (For anything not included in the other categories)

Last edited:

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Please reserve me! I remember posting here before o.o

Nathan Steele

Anime_boy_by_BloodZaphir.jpg

Nickname: Nate

Element: Metal

Spells:
Man of Steel
During a very short period of time, Nathan can transform a small part of his body(hand per example) into steel. This spell, taking quite a good deal of energy, is avoided as much as possible by him.
Metal Manipulation
Nathan can manipulate a small piece of metal, turning it into whatever he wants. The bigger the object, the more energy it will take. However, he can only transform little pieces of metal and he doesn't have enough mastery to make anything too complicated. That's why he's always carrying a piece of metal around him, to train.
Touch of Steel
Nathan can transform a small part of what he touches into steel.

Personality: Nathan is a cold individual and not a very big talker. He's not the most friendly guy you could find on Earth. In fact, he tries to avoid people as much as possible but he realizes that he can't go on without people so he puts a little effort in trying to be a bit more social even though he mostly prefers to be alone. But for the ones who earned the right to be called his friends, he truly cared for and would go at any lengths to protect them. Nathan isn't a big fan of laughing or smiling and that's why you'll rarely see him doing so. He doesn't like to be around a huge crowd and interacting with them, he's the loner that is always training by himself. In fact, training is his favorite hobby seeing as he doesn't really like to partake in "parties" or other social gatherings.

Nathan always like to win and was never a good loser. If someone beat him at anything, he wouldn't rest until he became stronger than them. He also has the mindset that he is superior to everyone in terms of power and always get upset when someone doesn't agree with him. He is also short-tempered, getting angry easily. Despite not being a natural talker nor a friendly person, he won't miss an occasion to hit on women, thinking he is a ladykiller.

History: Nathan's childhood was relatively normal. He grew up with two loving parents that were ready to spoil his every need as soon as he opened his mouth. Seeing as his family was relatively rich, Nathan was used to having many servants. But not everything was perfect in his life. Despite his parents loving him, they weren't always there for him when he needed them. In fact, the servants working for his parents knew him better than them. And there was one he liked the most among them, her name was Sarah. She was like a mother to him, always caring about him and making sure he was alright. When he was at the age of 10, he started to develop his powers. He noticed that whenever he touched something, it would turn into metal and after that he'd feel dizzy. He was too afraid to tell his parents so he decided to keep the secret. All was going well until Sarah caught him doing magic practice. He thought she was going to tell his parents but at his surprise, he discovered Sarah had the same ability to use Metal magic as him!

Since then, Sarah had begun to train him. Apparently, her great grandfather had used Metal magic in WWII and he had passed down this skill throughout his family when he died and naturally, Sarah had learned from her father. He was happy to spend more time and train with her. His parents grew suspicious of the two of them and decided to find out what they were doing. When they discovered everything, they immediately fired Sarah and locked up their son in a spare room of the house, almost treating him like a pest they would put in quarantine. He grew depressed and hated everyone. Then he decided he'd leave the house, not caring what could happen to him. This night, he broke out of the house. While leaving, he discovered a letter wrote from Sarah that his parents had apparently hid from him.

Dear Nate,
I wish I could tell this to you in person but I had to leave the country immediately. So I wrote you this short letter and left you a little gift. I wanted you to know you were the most amazing kid I ever met and I'll remember you forever. Don't let go even if life seems hard. I'm counting on you!

Below was letter inviting him to the Vale Institute of Magic and Nathan immediately knew where he'd be going.

Code: Challenge me!

Other: -He always carries a chunk of metal around him.

Last edited:

Colony

Years
JNathan, you are Reserved. Can't wait to see your finished SU, as I find Metal magic to be very interesting. Also, you might have posted in the duplicate thread that was deleted, so yeah.

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
I'm done.

Spoiler:

And my second one.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
Please reserve me, this looks epic.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Colony

Years
GoldenRayquaza, you've been reserved. Also, I updated the reserved/accepted list with the most current information.

Songbird, I'm glad you brought up the question about what year the roleplay takes place in, so I would like to clear that up by saying that the roleplay starts in early September, 2013.

For any who may want to read it, here is my SU.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Just want to know, our spells should be at what levels? Small, moderate?

Colony

Years
@JNathan: Spells aren't really limited in their strength per se, but it is more likely to be chaotic, unwieldy, or otherwise hard to control the stronger it gets. That brings us to how well a character can control their spells. Characters are not expected to be able to control high power spells, however, that doesn't mean they can't know them. Most characters can control low to low-medium power spells effectively, and medium power spells occasionally.

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Need more people. Colony, shall we prepare advertisements? :D

Colony

Years
it might be a good idea. I posted last night on the discussion thread, but no one's showed any interest.

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Magic! Explosions! School! Explosions! Comedy! What more can you Explosions! ask for?

siiadams

Got 3DS back...1822-1106-0866
Years
This RP sounds interesting. Can you reserve a spot for me? I can create a SU sometime tomorrow night.

Songbird

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Told you the explosions would interest people. |3

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I have some exams coming up so I will not be able to post for 2 weeks in IC :(
[h1][/h1]Name: Flit Asuno

Nickname: Glansa

Element: Fire

Spells:
  • Chimera's Breath ~ Flit breathes out intense flames.
  • Volcanic eruption (eating Taco's) ~ Creates fireballs in his hands, he then shoots them out in a flurry which looks like a volcanic eruption hence the name. AoE.

Appearance:
6kacFSH.png

Personality: Flit is a very calm and collected person who does not lose his head in situations. Flit is a quick thinker even if his thoughts are not very bright or don't work. Flit is suave and knows what to say to keep a conversation going or to stop a heated discussion turning into an argument. Flit has a bad habit of not brushing his hair (refer to appearance). Flit enjoys Beef and Bacon pies and loves the surf. Flit tries to be nice to strangers and welcoming to them which he can find hard if the person happens to be an A hole. Flit loves going to the gym and taking photos. He is generally a person who is easy to get along with. He is also friendly and outgoing, but at the same time somewhat rebellious and brash. Even so, Flit is quite disciplined, and will not contest the statements of a superior if he sees himself as out of line; it is only when Flit believes he is right that he will fight back. Flit takes friendship very seriously, though he wasn't particularly close to anyone. His favorite type of music is hip-hop.

History: Flit's childhood was nothing but normal (much shock). He lived in Canada for most of his life until he was 8 where he moved to the land of freedom, America. His parents bought a 2 story house in a densely populated area, it was when he was 9 that strange things began to occur. After school one day Flit was cornered by some bullies. After being pushed around after a few minutes Flit burst into flames, the bullies scared out of hell ran. When he got home he told his parents who laughed it off thinking it was a lie. Flit understood why they didn't believe him because it was something unbelievable. But when he was 12 it happened again except this time it was at a bonfire. When he went near it the flames moved closer to him, when suddenly they moved to close and his shoe caught on fire. Trying to blow it out instead the flames got more intense to the point that they needed to put it out with a fire extinguisher.
Everything was quiet from then until he turned 16 where he created fire from his bare hands. After playing around with the fire for a few minutes he realised that he could do stuff with this, so he ran to an alley way and started to see if it could burn anything first he tried wood, it worked. Secondly he decided to see if he could melt metal which it could. With this new ability Flit decided to see if he could fly by propelling the flames into the ground and lifting him up from the intense flames being shot out of his hands, to his shock this did not work and ended up with him hitting the ground… hard. When Flit got home that night he didn't tell his parents of this new development and hid in his room playing around with a small fire ball.
On his 17th Birthday, Flit was given an invitation to attend the Vale Institute of Higher Learning, in the letter it told him that they knew of his powers. Without a moment's notice Flit packed his bags and waved goodbye to his parents off to attend the Boarding school thinking of what he might learn there.

Code: "Challenge Me!!!"

Other: Can I have a fireball floating around me at all times?

Last edited:

Colony

Years
@Chuckles: First I would like to say thanks for your interest. Most of your SU is fine. Volcanic Eruption is a little confusing (Is this another mouth attack or is it just a hand attack?) and there is a typo in your personality (just pointing it out) where you use air instead of fire. The fireball thing doesn't seem like a good idea. Having a magically powered fireball levitate around you ALL THE TIME would literally drain you so fast you could die. Perhaps you could reevaluate the fireball and come up with a creative way to turn it into a spell. Other than that you're good.

Colony

Years
Sure thing. Dualik you are Reserved.

Also, I just want to say that if we can get one more person to join and everyone finishes up their SUs I will submit the IC.

Last edited:

Dualik

Eloquent Trainer
Years
Here is my SU, completed and ready for review.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2020
Name: Maristella Reilly

Nickname: Aris

Element: Water

Spells: Water Spin - Aris encases herself in a thin layer of water, absorbing some of the brunt of close-combat blows and catching small projectiles. She then spins wildly (mostly for flair, admittedly) and sends the quick, high-powered water everywhere.
Slip Kick - Aris makes a thin layer of water under her feet, allowing her to quickly slide and dash towards an opponent. She will then kick up almost in a slipping motion with the water now encased around her foot.

Appearance: Aris has light brown hair, just a bit longer than shoulder-length, and wispily feathered with a center part. Her eyes are very dark brown. She has a thin pair of black wire glasses, but she almost always forgets to wear them. Her eyesight isn't particularly bad anyways, so for the time it doesn't quite matter. Her skin is just a tiny bit tanned. She is average height and weight for her age, although sometimes she seems shorter than she actually is. She normally wears a patterned shirt (she has a strong preference towards plaid, for some reason) and tightens a thin black or brown belt just over her hips to make it more fitted. Otherwise, she normally wears a pair of jeans or khakis. Her shoes are eye-burning highlighter yellow sneakers. She isn't particularly attached to them, and claims they are the only one she could find that fit well.

Personality: Aris feels rather bland at times. She's that person who blends into the background without trying, feeling no real need to get involved and finding it much more interesting to be an observer. She's perfectly friendly if you take the time to talk to her, however. She craves interaction with people, although she does claim observing people does fall into the category of interaction, though she likes having a large group of friends, as well. She likes to see the good in people without realizing, and sometimes completely skips over horrendous flaws in people in order to focus on the fact they say hello to everyone they meet or the like.

Aris hates being wrong, but doesn't mind not being right, so she tends to try and be neutral and this sometimes makes her seem like she has no opinion. She hates conflict, and feels people should just work things out by themselves. This has led to her bottling up her emotions at time, and normally they fade as she can't remember what the emotions were from.

Aris can't focus on things for very long, and can only remember things that interest her, making her seem ditzy sometimes as she jumps from subject to subject. However, everything interests her before she gets really deep into a topic. She feels specializing in things in stupid and it is better to know a little about everything you can.

History: Aris's life was rather normal, as none of her relatives seemed to be a mancer. Growing up in a relatively small town, her looks, quietness, and nature to see good in everyone caused her to be roped into the "popular" bullying group from a young age. Although she never actively participated in the bullying, her ambivalence towards the bullying was almost as hurtful. She saw her group as nice for acknowledging everyone they met, even those they dubbed as less cool, ignoring the content of what they said. She normally just followed what they did. The only thing that really stood out about her was her dancing skill, something she took with her friends and the only thing she has somewhat stuck with because she was good at it thanks to her naturally fluid motions and there was something new to learn each time, which made the repetitiveness of practicing feel slightly less boring. Her powers only manifested very lightly and excuses were quickly found for all of them. Her tendency to get only slightly wet in the rain was brushed off as luck, the rain puddles that flared up around her was due to a large raindrop that none saw. Aris didn't really suspect anyone was different about her.

It was only in middle school did the true nature of her powers was revealed. To her mild shock, a boy had written her Aris a note to ask her to come to the back of the school after classes ended, presumably to ask her out. Most of her friends had "boyfriends" who had asked them out in the very same way. The group giggled about it all day, although Aris felt a little queasy about it. She had no intention of going out with someone in middle school, but rejecting the mystery boy made her feel upset. She was honorable though, and did indeed go out to the back of the school. She was beyond relieved when no one showed up.

This quickly turned into a bigger problem, however, as a nerdy girl that the group had bullied angrily confronted her during lunch the next day. Apparently the note was a lure so the girl and her friends could pelt Aris with water balloons and ruin her "superior" clothes and "haughty" attitude. Instead, the balloons had turned traitor on them, flipping them around and splashing them in the faces. The girl was convinced that it was all part of a plot by Aris, but Aris knew nothing of it. Her temper grew slightly, but Aris quelled her emotions in the face of all of these accusations. Or so she thought. Her lunch had different ideas, as her glass of water splashed the other girl in the face. Aris told the principal she had indeed thrown the water in the other girl's face, as it was less trouble. Internally, she was growing more and more freaked out at the growing incidents.

Two weeks later, a letter from the Vale Institute of Magic explained everything.

Code: Challenge me!!!

Other: Strangely enough, Aris has hated drinking water for as long as she can remember.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back