The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:32 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Yuffie View Post
Making homosexuality a crime doesn't make birth rates go up. The gay people aren't going to suddenly turn straight because it's illegal. Also, keep in mind that these are people's lives being not only ruined but literally destroyed. Homosexuals and allies are being hunted down, tortured, and killed. Russia's official stance on this behavior is that these terrorists are actually public servants. This isn't happening in back alleys or someone's basement or even an abandoned warehouse somewhere. This is happening in the streets during broad daylight.
Sort of reminds me of what the Nazi's did...but not to as bad an extent but still bad none the less. Hopefully LGBTQ people in Russia will be able to keep their heads up against this storm against them.

Also someone mentioned the Berlin Olympics...if these are to be anything like the Berlin Olympics then gays will need to win some medals like how African (Americans) won medals at Hitler's Olympics.

ORAS have been confirmed Remakes by Nintendo, they aren't Sequels so let go of that idea people.
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Dullstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Sort of reminds me of what the Nazi's did...but not to as bad an extent but still bad none the less. Hopefully LGBTQ people in Russia will be able to keep their heads up against this storm against them.

Also someone mentioned the Berlin Olympics...if these are to be anything like the Berlin Olympics then gays will need to win some medals like how African (Americans) won medals at Hitler's Olympics.
There's no guarantee that it won't become as bad as it was for the Jews in Nazi Germany - but there is also no guarantee that it will become that bad. However, there is still no excuse for this horrid treatment of people. They haven't done anything wrong, and so why should the Russians be allowed to persecute them, to any extent? Why would it need to be as bad as the treatment of Jews for anything to be done?
--------------------
It seems likely to me for gays to win with at least one medal.

Old October 12th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Esper

So... Russia is still doing it's thing. Nothing changed on that front.

In related news, the torch rely for the Olympics had several hiccups and the flame went out three times already. Oh, and the Russian athletes are wearing rainbow themed uniforms.

Germany also has some snazzy digs, though they say it's got nothing to do with Russia's gay rights abuse.

Sure, we believe you Germany. *wink wink*

deviantart blog pair
Old November 3rd, 2013, 05:29 PM
zakisrage
In the trunk on Highway 10

Nature: Impish
I'm not shocked. But then again, Putin won't remove himself from politics, and Russia will remain corrupt as long as he is in power. Putin is too powerful.

A lot of Russians are old-fashioned and nationalistic, so I would think nothing of it. Nazism is getting popular there and yet Russia was on the good guys' side in the war.
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Alex
My precious wildflower
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Oh, Russia. Ass-backwards as usual.

What happened for Putin to do this, though? I thought we were capitalist buddies with the Russkies?
Old November 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Capitalism is capitalism, human rights are human rights, and domestic politics are domestic politics. They'll do it their way.
Old November 28th, 2013, 04:50 PM
acatfrommars
PC fanatic!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to acatfrommars
I think if it abides by the law, then people should live however they want to. However, it does not abide by Russia’s law so it is fair. If Russia wants to deny it, then that is their privilege. I do have to say this though, Russia is going to get much crap about this internationally. Saying that it is similar to the Berlin Olympics however is taking it to an extreme. While discrimination is going on, it’s not to the extreme of Nazi Germany I don’t believe.

Sisters | Brother | Pairs
GOALS
Old December 8th, 2013, 12:40 AM
RimasLT
My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to RimasLT
Sorry for doing biggest mistake - but I agree with V.Putin words and actions. Me too do not like homo's, but if they don't do a parades per whole city and kid didn't see them that's ok, but if they do - V.Putin is a savior, best president in the world ( still I do not like him because he is a russian. I'm lithuanian - what to expect more from me? )

Old December 8th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Jay0173
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasLT View Post
Sorry for doing biggest mistake - but I agree with V.Putin words and actions. Me too do not like homo's, but if they don't do a parades per whole city and kid didn't see them that's ok, but if they do - V.Putin is a savior, best president in the world ( still I do not like him because he is a russian. I'm lithuanian - what to expect more from me? )
But that begs to question: why don't you like people who are gay or lesbian or bisexual (and I'm guessing transexual as well)? What have any of these people done to you personally to illicit such condemnation? The law in question has led to a dramatic increase in assaults and murders against these people with very little action on the part of law enforcement investigating and prosecuting these crimes. In fact, in some instances, the police have turned a blind eye to such violence when it occurs. I sincerely hope this is not what you are applauding because this is EXACTLY the consequences of Putin signing the act into law.

I am a gay man, living with the most wonderful man I could ever have fallen in love with, and in a country that thankfully recognizes my rights as a citizen including my right to get married to him if we so choose. What laws like that in Russia do is promote hatred and violence. It's barbaric and uncivilized in my opinion. It's a country I would never visit. The U.S., sadly, is another country I would never visit because the majority of states in that country refuses to recognize the rights of its LGBT citizens. Heck, a former minister in the Ontario Government was refused entry into the U.S. because he was married to his husband, and because the U.S. did not recognize same sex marriages, he was denied entry until he changed his passport to list him as single.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old December 8th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Poki

You know what I hate about some homosexual people? The way they represent their people. Ya know, shoving their sexual orientation in other people's faces, letting everyone know that they're homo, being loud and obnoxious about it, and more of the sort.

I believe that is the reason why most people don't take 'em kindly.
Space Dandy
club
Paired to: Dark Azelf, Nonon, Nathan & The Alchemyst
Old December 8th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Jay0173
Author

... and you think heterosexuals don't do the same? It's on display with every billboard featuring a lovely lady in a skimpy outfit, or every time you see two people on a bench somewhere enjoying a loving embrace. Heterosexuality is pushed on people everywhere you go. The only people who would be uncomfortable with homosexuals doing the same are the people who are prejudiced in their thinking.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Personal Website
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old December 8th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Poki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessi_sys View Post
... and you think heterosexuals don't do the same? It's on display with every billboard featuring a lovely lady in a skimpy outfit, or every time you see two people on a bench somewhere enjoying a loving embrace. Heterosexuality is pushed on people everywhere you go. The only people who would be uncomfortable with homosexuals doing the same are the people who are prejudiced in their thinking.
Just saying that people should mind their own ****ing business, and I wouldn't have a problem with anyone's sexuality, unless it's shoved down my throat.
Space Dandy
club

Last edited by Kanzler; December 8th, 2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Remember, language.
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:35 AM
The Mighty Kamina
Paragon of Masculinity

Send a message via Skype™ to The Mighty Kamina
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark32 View Post
You know what I hate about some homosexual people? The way they represent their people. Ya know, shoving their sexual orientation in other people's faces, letting everyone know that they're homo, being loud and obnoxious about it, and more of the sort.

I believe that is the reason why most people don't take 'em kindly.
I assume you're referring to pride parades and especially flaming individuals. What may I ask is the problem with pride events? You may find them to be uncomfortable, but for many LGBT individuals, they are a symbol of hope. What you consider "shoving it into your face" tells many a gay or lesbian child that it's okay to be who they are, and that they shouldn't keep themselves closeted their entire lives just because some people get offended at something they were born with.
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

There's a gay member of this site who's also a friend of mine who can vouch on southpark's side. I think it comes from pride events being more "shoving into your face" than "expressing who they are". On the flip side, I don't think not being cool with pride parades amounts to encouraging people to stay closeted or discouraging them from coming out. People can be offended for many reasons, and sexual orientation doesn't have to be one of them.

That being said, there's more to pride parades than the flamboyant side. But of course there's nothing more interesting than normal people walking, right?
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Poki

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Kamina View Post
I assume you're referring to pride parades and especially flaming individuals. What may I ask is the problem with pride events? You may find them to be uncomfortable, but for many LGBT individuals, they are a symbol of hope. What you consider "shoving it into your face" tells many a gay or lesbian child that it's okay to be who they are, and that they shouldn't keep themselves closeted their entire lives just because some people get offended at something they were born with.
I believe that my second reply will answer your question. No need to repeat myself.
Space Dandy
club
Old December 9th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Jay0173
Author

Pride Parades are not parades per say, but protests. When we participate in a Pride Parade, or are attending one, we aren't there to make people notice us, but rather we're there to make people notice the issues that affect the LGBT community. We celebrate our accomplishments and we advocate for improvements. Some do it more lavishly and more outrageously than others, but the message is all the same. Until people don't even care if people are gay or bisexual or transgendered, these protest marches will continue. The only people, in my mind, who have any cause to complain about them, are people who have no clue what they're all about, in which case I suggest to them to get educated.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Personal Website
Old December 9th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Poki

Quote:
Pride Parades are not parades per say, but protests. When we participate in a Pride Parade, or are attending one, we aren't there to make people notice us, but rather we're there to make people notice the issues that affect the LGBT community. We celebrate our accomplishments and we advocate for improvements. Some do it more lavishly and more outrageously than others, but the message is all the same. Until people don't even care if people are gay or bisexual or transgendered, these protest marches will continue. The only people, in my mind, who have any cause to complain about them, are people who have no clue what they're all about, in which case I suggest to them to get educated.
A different sexual orientation is anything but an acomplishment. I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it, really. Here's an example:

Person A: I'm proud to be gay!
Other person: You're so strong, respect for you, bro!!!1!!!!1111

Person B: I'm proud to be straight!
Other person: Omfg, homophobic. I'm disgusted!

People are people. Gay, or straight. Black, or white. It doesn't matter, honestly.
Space Dandy
club
Old December 9th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Jay0173
Author

Quote:
A different sexual orientation is anything but an acomplishment. I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it, really. Here's an example:

Person A: I'm proud to be gay!
Other person: You're so strong, respect for you, bro!!!1!!!!1111

Person B: I'm proud to be straight!
Other person: Omfg, homophobic. I'm disgusted!

People are people. Gay, or straight. Black, or white. It doesn't matter, honestly.
The accomplishments I speak of are those that the LGBT community has fought for for over a century. Currently there are 76 countries whose laws make it illegal for sexual intimacy between two people of the same sex. You want a list of some of our accomplishments? Here's some:
  • Canada, 1969 - Homosexual relations removed from the Criminal Code of Canada, making sex between same sex couple legal.
  • Canada, 2002 - Marc Hall fought a successful legal battle against the Durham Catholic District School Board to bring a same-sex date to his high school prom.
  • Canada, 2003 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Ontario and British Columbia.
  • Canada, 2004 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Quebec, Yukon Territory, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador.
  • Canada 2005 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in New Brunswick, Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut Territory, and the Northwest Territories.
  • Canada, 2005 - Canada became the fourth country in the world, and the first country outside Europe, to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide.

And this is just the tiniest fraction of accomplishments for the LGBT community. There have been so many more, here in Canada and around the world. It's these accomplishments that we celebrate.

Yes, we do celebrate individual accomplishments as well, because, believe it or not, in this day and age it is still dangerous for many LGBT persons to come out. Some are ostracized from their families and become homeless youths, some are assaulted (there have been instances where young boys who come out have been forcefully castrated by family members), and even some are even killed by family. In one case a 4 year old little boy was killed by a religious cult leader who thought the boy was gay (http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/07/07...-year-old-boy/). It is these types of atrocities that we continue to fight against, and a small part of that fight is the Pride Parade.

I personally wish there was no need for a Pride Parade. But we do. We do because there continues to be, and increasingly it seems, instances where people who are gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgendered are attacked simply because of who they are.

The situation is intolerable, and we're fighting to make it better for everyone. If you or anyone doesn't like this. Too bad. This is a fight we intend to win.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Personal Website
Old December 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Poki

Quote:
The accomplishments I speak of are those that the LGBT community has fought for for over a century. Currently there are 76 countries whose laws make it illegal for sexual intimacy between two people of the same sex. You want a list of some of our accomplishments? Here's some:
  • Canada, 1969 - Homosexual relations removed from the Criminal Code of Canada, making sex between same sex couple legal.
  • Canada, 2002 - Marc Hall fought a successful legal battle against the Durham Catholic District School Board to bring a same-sex date to his high school prom.
  • Canada, 2003 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Ontario and British Columbia.
  • Canada, 2004 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in Quebec, Yukon Territory, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland and Labrador.
  • Canada 2005 - Same-sex marriage was legally recognized in New Brunswick, Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut Territory, and the Northwest Territories.
  • Canada, 2005 - Canada became the fourth country in the world, and the first country outside Europe, to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide.

And this is just the tiniest fraction of accomplishments for the LGBT community. There have been so many more, here in Canada and around the world. It's these accomplishments that we celebrate.

Yes, we do celebrate individual accomplishments as well, because, believe it or not, in this day and age it is still dangerous for many LGBT persons to come out. Some are ostracized from their families and become homeless youths, some are assaulted (there have been instances where young boys who come out have been forcefully castrated by family members), and even some are even killed by family. In one case a 4 year old little boy was killed by a religious cult leader who thought the boy was gay (http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/07/07...-year-old-boy/). It is these types of atrocities that we continue to fight against, and a small part of that fight is the Pride Parade.

I personally wish there was no need for a Pride Parade. But we do. We do because there continues to be, and increasingly it seems, instances where people who are gay or lesbian or bisexual or transgendered are attacked simply because of who they are.

The situation is intolerable, and we're fighting to make it better for everyone. If you or anyone doesn't like this. Too bad. This is a fight we intend to win.
Getting pretty defensive there, huh? All I said that some gay people represent their people in a bad way, and thus get negative comments about it. And no, I was not talking about Pride parades. I have a problem with LGBT supportes who lose their **** whenever someone else disagrees with them, and decide that having a whole pointless debate over it will show him/her who's the boss. How dare he/she disagrees with my point of view!

And believe me, some LGBT supporters act like it is an acomplishment to be have a different sexual orientation, and deserve attention because of it. Although a minority (I hope), it sure does leave a bad impression on some people.

You can't force people to like you. You can, however, make them hate you, if you force them to.

I'm done with this crap. I believe I have repeated myself enough. Good luck on your way to success.
Space Dandy
club
Old December 9th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Jay0173
Author

Quote:
Getting pretty defensive there, huh? All I said that some gay people represent their people in a bad way, and thus get negative comments about it.
But who gets to decide what representation is bad? You? Me? Who? What's "bad" can be, and often is, subjective. Your version of what constitutes bad may be completely different from someone else's. The point is, just because you think something is bad, does not necessarily make it so. What you might think bad, others may encourage. It all depends on a point of view. None of them are right, but also none of them are wrong either.

Quote:
And believe me, some LGBT supporters act like it is an acomplishment to be have a different sexual orientation, and deserve attention because of it. Although a minority (I hope), it sure does leave a bad impression on some people.
it's not the "accomplishment" of having a sexual orientation that is celebrated, as I said. One can't "accomplish" having one. One is born with it. I can no more consciously change my sexual orientation any more than you can consciously alter the growth rate of your fingernails. What is being celebrated is the courage it takes to come out. Coming out is one of the most terrifying (and sometimes rewarding) moments in our lives. Some of us don't survive it. Thankfully, increasingly more of us do.

Quote:
You can't force people to like you. You can, however, make them hate you, if you force them to.
No, you're right, we can't make anyone like us. And we don't even try. But we can work to make it socially unacceptable to openly display prejudice against the LGBT community (That change, I'm glad, is already happening) just as it is socially unacceptable to openly display prejudice someone who is black.

Quote:
Good luck on your way to success.
Good luck with yours and best wishes.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Personal Website
Old December 9th, 2013, 05:53 PM
The Mighty Kamina
Paragon of Masculinity

Send a message via Skype™ to The Mighty Kamina
Quote:
It's not treated like an "accomplishment", saying you're proud to be gay/bi/trans/etc is a defiance of the social norms that have tried to stomp the community out for years. It's no big deal to say you're part of the norm, but certainly one to identify yourself as one of the targeted minority.

Sponsored Links