• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: DS Map Graphics Editor

Do you want Platinum, HG/SS and BW first Map for the first release?

• Yes

Votes: 396 90.8%
  • No, later

Votes: 40 9.2%

• Total voters

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
By block values, do you mean map dimensions? I remember reading somewhere that all D/P/Pt/HG/Ss maps have the same dimensions, and each large map is actually made up of several smaller maps. That's why the tweaking glitch works, as when performed, not all the chunks are loaded, which is why there are blank areas.

You know how in Pokemon Emerald, the Battle Frontier is actually two separate maps in AdvanceMap, but in-game it seems like one? Almost every map in the 4th gen games are like that, as large maps like Jubilife City is actually several smaller maps. If you know what the crazy zoom AR code is, you can zoom out the camera to see which section of the map is loaded.

Yes, of course... I already knew that from when I noticed how every map is located on the world map and also moves your location on the map to the same area. Because the world map is consisted of locating every map that exists in the main map of the 4th generation, there's only one thing that locates in a random part of the map, it's the special maps such as the ones inside houses, Lake Varity, caves and Eterna Forest ect.

But I actually mean the block values... as in the values for the different texture objects, like the trees for instance.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Yes, of course... I already knew that from when I noticed how every map is located on the world map and also moves your location on the map to the same area. Because the world map is consisted of locating every map that exists in the main map of the 4th generation, there's only one thing that locates in a random part of the map, it's the special maps such as the ones inside houses, Lake Varity, caves and Eterna Forest ect.

But I actually mean the block values... as in the values for the different texture objects, like the trees for instance.

I'm not sure, but are you searching for the values that determine (for example) what is grass, what is a door or what is water (surf)?

Because if it's this, Project Pokémon made an article about it. These values appear in the "Movement permission" section. The article is here: http://projectpokemon.org/wiki/Map_structure

Platinum Lucario

Years
I'm not sure, but are you searching for the values that determine (for example) what is grass, what is a door or what is water (surf)?

Because if it's this, Project Pokémon made an article about it. These values appear in the "Movement permission" section. The article is here: http://projectpokemon.org/wiki/Map_structure

See? I KNEW the movement permissions were responsible for the grass animation and all that and the reflections as well.

So that's another step forward in the mapping research. So it's not the blocks that have the animation, it's the movement permissions, just as what I thought it was. Because at one stage when I was on Spear Pillar using the Walk Through Walls code, I noticed a block that of course made a reflection, a grass animation and of course. And the block was on the blank part of the Spear Pillar map.

Platinum Lucario

Years
But we always need more research for the blocks.
It's not really difficult to learn, but it's hard to find each value (every block is unique).

Hm... when you say that... that makes me think how a texture object block would actually have some value for it, every square on the map would actually have their value in the land_data_release.narc it should be somewhere, try changing one of the squares to a different value and prahaps it should change. Alot like the models of houses and all that. Like we already know about changing the different models, like houses ect. but we also have the textures as well, so changing the value of them to something different might actually make it appear as something else. You should try it out, the value that of course makes the object disappear is the value for the type of object. You might find blank ones at first but you might also see other ones... such as water or even flowers, grass, normal grass ect.

So that does make me think... when you find the value for the object, list it down so you'll remember what object it is and all that, and continue changing the value and adding the other object values to the list.

Because... how else would a map be shown on an editor in a way that looks like it has all the texture objects in it?

looper

German Hacker
Years
@skara: Lu-Ho did AM based on Goldmap, so he had a base^^

I know, that actually he works on a newer version, but that was for GBA, and I don't know(and believe) that he knows much about NDS

@chaton: I guess it would be nearly the same date, because when he has the language files, he can publish all versions at the same time.

Platinum Lucario

Years
Surely Lu-Ho can help you? after all, he DID make the genius Advancemap...
Alright... you probably don't realize that LU-OH really isn't into Nintendo DS hacking very much, he mainly focuses on the 3rd generation editing. So far he has created a beta version of a tile animation editor that has beeb posted on WhackAHack. Since the GameBoy Advance and Nintendo DS are different handhelds... they work a bit differently. The Nintendo DS has archives in the ROM, so it kinda makes it a little easier to find stuff and replace things than what it would on the GameBoy Advance, but hey, we still haven't gotten the hang of it all yet. xD In the end, I'm pretty sure the tools will improve and prahaps there'll be an editor in which will edit any Nintendo DS game. Wouldn't that be brillient? ;) And yes, as Link said, LU-HO is busy as always.
And not exactly at the same time for the first beta, i don't know how i can make a multilingual interface in the same version.
I'm a poor programmer, do you remember? xD

Edit : Last call for research help.
I've attached a little documentation.

It's very important, and that's the last step for complete texture editing.

Don't worry, you'll get better. ^^ You can just take your time on the editor, I'm sure you might find out how to use the same interface as what is used on the 3D map viewers, because that is what is needed for a 4th generation map editor, a two-dimentional map editor is a bit tricky unless you use the textures set in a folder for the program. It's not like you have to create the same 2D interface as what AdvanceMap has, what would be recommended is to have two options in the map interface, one in which allows you to move around the map and zoom in, and the other in which allows you to select a block and change it to whatever block you wish to and to drag it around too. You can find out about how to create a 3D interface that relies on moving from one square to the next. Also movement permissions can also have the height level as well, same thing with the objects. If you've noticed when using the Walk Through Walls code, you'll find how the movement permissions on mountainous areas all take the sprite up one level (even though the movement permissions are non passable), they also have the byte in which takes the sprite up one level, if you notice on the snowy area of Mt. Coronet, the movement permissions have their byte in which raises the sprite up one level, it also has it's passable byte, so it needs to have other options on the movement permissions when you set them, and the abillity to select multiple movement permissions, or even objects. So there's many other things that would be needed for a map editor so that it would make mapping a whole lot faster. Because I'm sure GameFreak would've had an interface like that during development. There wasn't too many people on the development team, when I looked at the credits in Black/White, so yeah.

And cool, thanks! I'm sure this documentation will come in handy. ^^ So I might also look into texture editing as well.

Ketwes

Pokémon Master Trevor
Years
Pokemon OceanBlue

When this tool is completed, it will open up a whole new world of 4th Generation hacking. I would love to help speed up the process by researching tile values for you. If you could give me a link to all the programs you use and how to find the tiles I would gladly help. I'm actually trying to remake Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen with a base rom of HeartGold, but I have no possible way to accomplish that as of now. Anything I can do to help?

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
Years
When this tool is completed, it will open up a whole new world of 4th Generation hacking. I would love to help speed up the process by researching tile values for you. If you could give me a link to all the programs you use and how to find the tiles I would gladly help. I'm actually trying to remake Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen with a base rom of HeartGold, but I have no possible way to accomplish that as of now. Anything I can do to help?

Well you could learn about PPRE; since it has alot of commands you probably won't understand. e.g. have you ever heard about Setflag 106? It means that the Pokémon window will pop up and be unlocked. I mean, I'm now like 6 months busy with learning PPRE and I still don't understand it 100 % o_0

Ketwes

Pokémon Master Trevor
Years
Well you could learn about PPRE; since it has alot of commands you probably won't understand. e.g. have you ever heard about Setflag 106? It means that the Pokémon window will pop up and be unlocked. I mean, I'm now like 6 months busy with learning PPRE and I still don't understand it 100 % o_0
I actually have used PPRE a little,I used it to make the main character's room to lead to Red's House in Palette Town. I also changed Red's Mom to say her text from FireRed and LeafGreen. What I don't understand how to do is make Red's mom give me the Bag, Trainer Card, Save, and Options for my menu. Also, what's the deal with Setflag and Checkflag? Do they work off each other? If it's currently possible, I would also like to know how to make a script like the one from FireRed and LeafGreen where professor oak says "Wait! Don't go out in the grass!" and leads you back to the lab. If you could help me figure that out that would be a step ahead.

I'm also trying to figure how to copy the scripts from Professor Elm's lab into Professor Oak's lab. Basically, I'm trying to script Professor Oak to give me the starter Pokemon instead of Professor Elm.

Last edited:
Back