• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your bully just died.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
You don't have to feel nothing but what you feel, and there's nothing wrong with any feeling you feel. You can't control your feelings.

Years
The truth is an ugly thing isn't it?

If my bully died (I don't have a bully), and if it was someone who was bullying me for most of my life, I'd be...glad they couldn't bully me anymore. I'd feel indifferent to their death. They never had anything to do with me other than make me feel miserable every day. Maybe I'd also have a feeling of delight. "They deserve it".
Although that'd be morally corrupt and completely ignorant, at the time it would be difficult to hide that unhealthy happiness.
I'd learn the fragility of life if someone who has always been bigger and stronger than me suddenly just went bye bye forever.

Ugh, that's a really tough question.

But when they're dead, it's like...are you dishonoring the dead by thinking ill of them? It's all just strange, isn't it?
It's subjective. You can say that it is okay to dishonour Stalin or Hitler etc because they killed millions of innocent people with no motive. Others will argue against that. Every life is precious, but every day people talk badly of dead people.

If you feel it's okay to be not necessarily happy but glad/apathetic, then yeah, go for it.

Years
Bully or not, its still a human being that has died. I'd feel bad for them even if they knocked me over the head. Seeing a life be ended is a sad thing, especially if I knew the person. Most people would be like, "I didn't like the person, so I don't care" or something like that, but I still think even a death like that matters.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 19, 2012
If someone harms you it's 100% human to wish bad fate to befall upon them.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I am no longer indignated and possibly injured at the hands of another? I'd be glad since that's the only relevance this person had to my being.
It seems to take an appreciation for the process of life and a sense of objectivity not to be phased by death or hold cultural pretences about it.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If someone harms you it's 100% human to wish bad fate to befall upon them.

I think it's a bit disgusting to ever wish death upon someone though. We may wish bad on someone, but I think it's way too much to just hope someone dies. But suit yourself. I did make this thread to see how everyone else would feel, so it's serving its purpose at least.

A pity this is even debate-worthy.

This isn't meant to be a debate, though. It's a discussion. No one has been debating in this thread, that I've seen.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I wouldn't even give one bit of sadness for someone who bullied and just died on a random day. He didn't care about how I felt when that person bullied me, so why would I feel any type of remorse over him, dead or not. If he wasn't gonna stop bullying me or other people then, sorry to say this, but he's better off dead.

Sorry for my post to sound so cold, but that's how I am towards people who bullies other ones.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
I'm going to be frank. If somebody who had immorally bullied me (and therefore most likely other people too) I would not show an ounce of care for their passing. Sure, their family and friends will be upset, naturally. Doesn't mean I have to be. As far as I'm concerned, that person gained self satisfaction at the expense of others during their time alive. If I'm a victim of that person's cruelty, why should I give a **** if they die?

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't wish death upon them. But if they happened to pass on (as millions do every day) I would not care at all. I can't see why anyone who is a victim (or is related to a victim) of theirs would care.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Last year, (2012) there was a bully since 2010 who kept bullying everyone (except his friends :P) around. He was transferred to another school and I'm damn happy about it. But if he dies, I...I'm not gonna say: "HAHAHA YAAAAYY!" I'd, be like, :O But I'm not going to care that much, because he was a bully, did bad things and that's why this happened to him. I quite understand why he died.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I wouldn't wish death on somebody I hated, but I also wouldn't complain if they were to die. Wishing death on someone who then dies would no doubt lead to baseless guilt, which would only make me feel worse as opposed to better because it'd make me feel as if my wish was the deciding blow.

That being said, there's no actual harm in wishing for the death of a bully. It makes you feel better (if it didn't, you wouldn't wish it) and the bully wouldn't care because to them it's just words from a lesser being. Actually acting on it and killing the bully would be a big problem, though.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Sorry, I'm not one of those "loner" emo kids who cuts himself while wishing death on people who dislike him. Why do that and let the bully win when instead you could stand up to him instead, showing him that you have the confidence to fight back? Wishing death on anyone, except for people who are genuinely atrocious (people such as Hitler, bin Laden, etc.), is overkill (no pun intended).

Just think of this: Wishing death on bullies is the kind of train of thought that causes school shootings.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Good. It's not dishonorable to think ill of the dead if they punished you to begin with. Giving them remorse is like giving beer to a drunk. It's a recurring problem, and had she lived, she would've continued bullying your sister.
This, pretty much. Being dead does not suddenly absolve you from all the wrongs you committed. Pretending to care about someone's death when you don't is pointless. Be tasteful: don't go out of your way to talk poorly of the deceased, but you're under no obligation to speak well of them, either.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Your bully died. Why should that mean we should celebrate? If he or she did something horrible to me, I'd still mourn over their death. I'd forgive them. I'd forget the past we had.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Your bully died. Why should that mean we should celebrate? If he or she did something horrible to me, I'd still mourn over their death. I'd forgive them. I'd forget the past we had.
So I imagine you mourned the sudden, tragic death of Osama Bin Laden?

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
So I imagine you mourned the sudden, tragic death of Osama Bin Laden?
Osama Bin Laden =/= someone who committed indecent behavior toward you a few times in their life. I think it's perfectly fine to mourn over the death of a fellow human being regardless of their actions; after all, they may not have been given the chance to learn from their actions and change. There are too many different factors to consider to give a straight answer on what one is expected to feel, but anyone experiencing bullying prior to their bully's death has every right to feel whatever they feel.

Last edited:

tnfsf11

I can only say that if you're good and kind to people, then your enemies/bullies would have to be the meanest persons ever; because they would have no reason to hate you, so I guess you won't feel very sorry for them if they died.

You might feel sorry for their parents though.

François2

#FutureSun&MoonMod
Years
Sorry, I'm not one of those "loner" emo kids who cuts himself while wishing death on people who dislike him. Why do that and let the bully win when instead you could stand up to him instead, showing him that you have the confidence to fight back? Wishing death on anyone, except for people who are genuinely atrocious (people such as Hitler, bin Laden, etc.), is overkill (no pun intended).

Just think of this: Wishing death on bullies is the kind of train of thought that causes school shootings.

This is a terribly insensitive point. I'm obviously no advocate of self-harm or indeed wishing death on your bullies, but just because you are supposedly strong enough to fight anyone who dared bully you doesn't mean everyone is. If you try to "stand up" to someone twice your size (and possibly with a gang of people equally large backing them up), you're an idiot.

But as for the topic at hand, I don't think there's a problem with any feeling towards a death, really. Despite being quite a heartless person on occasion, I don't believe I'd be happy about the death of much anyone. That said, I've seen terrible bullying and find it perfectly understandable for someone at the receiving end of that to not care (or even be relieved by) the death of the person who inflicted that upon them. A death is always a waste, yes, and one would generally feel bad for the relatives of the one who died (although I wonder how one would react if they found the relatives equally contemptuous?), but I wouldn't judge someone who was happy about the death of a person who negatively impacted their life, no.

And to the people who've said they wouldn't be pleased - if any of you were being bullied to the extent where you genuinely feared for your wellbeing (or even your life), how would you react to the death of the person making you fear for it? I realise that's very similar to the main question but I find taking it to the extreme is generally a good way to test if people are flexible at all. Personally I'd be hugely relieved, and I've no shame in admitting to that.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
I can only say that if you're good and kind to people, then your enemies/bullies would have to be the meanest persons ever; because they would have no reason to hate you, so I guess you won't feel very sorry for them if they died.

You might feel sorry for their parents though.

Right, so if you're really nice, then those who bully you are worse than even Hitler? No. Just no.

Back