• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen A Zoo?

jov0006

Beygimon! Gotta let it rip!
Years
It'd be pretty awesome if there was an open-plains zoo where you explore various climates and catch pokemon similar to the safari. I think this would be great for catching pokemon from former gens, what do you think? And if so I would love to see many foonguses in it. NOT.

jov0006

Years
Something bigger, and you dont have a nasty time limit but of course they will probs be trainers (kids or romantic people) looking at the exhibits. I guess iwith a zoo it could make a pokedex easier to fill.

Moist

other in a month When you,
Years
Maybe like the zoo in firered/leafgreen in the city with the Safari Zone and Koga as the Gym Leader, I forgot the name.

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
Hmm, a zoo? That would be weird. I mean, why would they keep Pokemon in cages unless the evil organization is behind it or something. The Safari Zone and a Zoo is really different but I don't think there will be a zoo :3

jov0006

Years
Oh no not in cages! They are enclosed in their exhibits by a fence (I hope). Also there should be an aviary and some sort of insect and lizard house.

You could also have an event similar to n and the ferris wheel at the zoo.

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I think the Pokémon version of a zoo is indeed the Safari Zone. 'Cause here's the thing, in Generation I... in Fuchsia City, it had Pokémon in enclosures just like any ordinary zoo would have. Then of course... the actual Safari Zone game is actually the open-range zoo, Pokémon style! Hence that is why it's called the "Safari Zone". xD

But yeah, it's something I would love to see return in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. ^^

jov0006

Years
I would like an open-range zoo 'Pokemon style' except the fact i dont want time/step limits. That made it so annoying to catch pokemon.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
A zoo would go against the pokemon way I think, locking pokemon up in cages is something you'd see the evil teams do.

I would like to see a vast African style safari zone though. Something that doesn't feel enclosed.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
A zoo would go against the pokemon way I think, locking pokemon up in cages is something you'd see the evil teams do.

I would like to see a vast African style safari zone though. Something that doesn't feel enclosed.

No, not really. Humans trap Pokemon in spherical airtight compartments for convient travel.

A Zoo would only serve purpose to show off some Pokemon to an area that isn't heavily influenced by Pokemon. A City with no Gym or that doesn't really see the Pokemon Trainer's way of life as something important or just isn't for any of them. The Zoo could show off Pokemon that are so rare that most people never see them like Pokemon from other regions that aren't in the Pokedex Pre or Post E4. It could be a way to fill the Pokedex without having to trade, battle, or receive from events.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I like in a sense the idea of a zoo where you can see Pokémon not found in the wild, or extremely rare to find. This allows you to add them to the Pokédex via interacting with displays. However, keeping Pokémon in cages seems to me to go against the principle of Pokémon, and I doubt this idea would ever come to fruition.

Cyclone

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Having a Zoo in the games is a very interesting idea that no-one in GameFreak has ever thought about. ;) I wonder how many Pokemon we would be able to find. I'm sure that they'll all be in the field group too, which will hopefully make these Pokemon easy to breed.

jov0006

Years
Maybe there can be an abandoned town where the villains reside and it has an abandoned zoo and playground. Post-game it should be restored into a safari zone or something like that.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I always thought of the area right before you entered the Fuschia City Safari Zone in Kanto as a type of zoo. I suppose if we were to see something similar like that again would be cool. At the same time, I always thought that the Safari Zone itself was more like an open field zoo as well.

To be honest, when I think back, I'm actually surprised Unova never had its own zoo. Considering how popular the Bronx Zoo is in New York, you would think they would have included one. Or at least given the region its own Safari Zone to represent a zoo.

All that said, to have a zoo or to not have a zoo, whatever keeps PETA out of Pokémon's hairs is all that really matters. lol

Maybe there can be an abandoned town where the villains reside and it has an abandoned zoo and playground. Post-game it should be restored into a safari zone or something like that.
I really like this idea! Plus, it's something extra for post-game.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Eeeuuughh...

The entirety of a topic like this would better be discussed in Pokemon general, I feel. I don't want to drag it down, in that all the OP wants to see is a Safari Zone in X/Y without limits, so more of a speculation request. And that would be neat I guess.

But thinking about zoos overall for Pokemon? Uh, that's...

If you are one to think that Pokemon belong in zoos, you are not giving them nearly enough credit. I guess as humans, we only see other humans as being capable of sapient thought, but Pokemon have proven themselves to be this way as well, and that's were things start getting extremely grey. I wouldn't put another human being on display in a zoo like setting, and when people do, they usually call those freak shows. Pokemon aren't robots, either. And yet, there's no doubt that they seem to be fine traveling in a Pokeball, but I guess that's out of a mutual understanding?

The Safari Zone works well enough, because in terms of scale, the Safari Zone would be massive. The boundaries are spread so far apart, that I seriously doubt the Pokemon would have any issue living in that area. The isn't a whole lot there that would make the creature feel trapped, and honestly, they probably wouldn't venture off miles beyond the spot where they made their home. It would be similar to living in a gated community.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get too deep in this, at least here. I just saw the word "zoo" and alarms went off in my head or something, haha.

Years
I think the Safari Zone covers the idea of a zoo. I can only think of a difference in the name. There could be a zoo, but wouldn't it be the same as the Safari Zone in essence?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I think the Safari Zone covers the idea of a zoo. I can only think of a difference in the name. There could be a zoo, but wouldn't it be the same as the Safari Zone in essence?
A zoo is caged animals (lions, tigers, bears, oh my!) while a Safari Zone is a roaming expanse of animals living in a natural and free environment (like the "gated community" comment earlier).

Also, zoos don't tend to like you taking their attractions.

Cyclone

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
A zoo is caged animals (lions, tigers, bears, oh my!) while a Safari Zone is a roaming expanse of animals living in a natural and free environment (like the "gated community" comment earlier).

Also, zoos don't tend to like you taking their attractions.

Cyclone

Zoo's aren't all cages. I've been to open air Zoos where animals are kept in habitats. The Habitats themselves are dug x amount of feet into the ground and surrounded by a deeper moat to keep the animals from getting to the visitors, but there is only a railing to look over and nothing else separating human and animal.

Only exceptions are the Insect House, Reptile Hose and Aviary. Those are glass and netting then XD

But the Safari Zone from Gen 1 was a Zoo. Not to mention most are based off of Safari Preserves which are open air Zoos in which visitors take tours in a cart with 1 or more well trained guards armed with top of the line tranquilizer guns and darts to keep the animals from attacking/harming guests. Even Safari Preserves keep specific animals "caged" and separated from others of more pr editorial natures when they can.

Back