• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Black People in Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
Years
Pokemon = Japanese
Japan = Not alot of Black human beings

Even if it was North American, why would it be racist.. they didn't mention anything about colors.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2010
To be fair I don't think many of the characters in pokemon are meant to be white either I think their all meant to be japanese.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
Orignally Posted by Jolene
Assuming you're using that term properly, that 0.5% doesn't account for all of the black people in Japan - it only accounts for the black people who moved to Japan from America.

Firstly, I know it's not a big deal but can we call them African Americans or something like that? I understand if you have a friend and you refer to them as "Black" (like in Scrubs) but we are talking about a Demographic.

Secondly, Jolene that statistic is accurate and what you just said was a bit silly. That's like saying because they moved to America from Mexico that there are no Mexicans in America. There are plenty of African Americans who moved to Japan from where ever, and had children who would then be official Japanese citizens.

I've seen African Americans portrayed in Manga and Anime before (If I'm not mistaken there is a character from Hinata Hotel who is African). I am almost positive there are a few episodes in the Pokemon Anime with that demographic.

EDIT: I just saw your post Porygon-Z and I have to agree. They aren't meant to be Caucasian, but Asian. The fact of the matter is there are very few African Americans in Japan, so they are going to show very few in the Pokemon series. Said and Done.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Firstly, I know it's not a big deal but can we call them African Americans or something like that?

No. Because an African American is somebody who lives in America and is of African descent. A black person who lives in Japan is just a black person who lives in Japan. And there's nothing wrong with saying "black".

It's not just you who gets this piece of terminology wrong. I've met loads of people who think that "African American" refers to black people in general. And I despair at these people.

Secondly, Jolene that statistic is accurate and what you just said was a bit silly. That's like saying because they moved to America from Mexico that there are no Mexicans in America. There are plenty of African Americans who moved to Japan from where ever, and had children who would then be official Japanese citizens.

At first I assumed that you hadn't got your terminolgy mixed up and that you were actually refering to actual African Americans.

Last edited:

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
Wow. I didn't have a problem with this thread until I saw that. That is very close to racist.

That's like saying there aren't any Mexican people in England, or that there aren't any Japanese people in Canada.

That is just stupid. The only reason thay haven't put an African American (A term I hope you use more often) is because of the demographics. Most people in Japan are very light skinned just like most people in Canada and America are light skinned. This DOESN'T mean that all people there are like that PiPVoda. And there have been other races in the games (many people in the Sevii Islands were Polynesian-looking).

Anyways, interesting question. If I'm not mistaken there was an episode in the Anime that centered an African American.

racist? how so? I was just saying, since Japan is like 98% Japanese I don't believe they'd put a black person in many of their games. Yes they could (like I said Sazh Katzroy from FF XIII) but really I don't expect it.. I don't think you understood what I was trying to say.

There is an anime show w/ the main character being black, Afro Sumarai..and that is all that I know of. By any chance, did you even notice the part where I said I am black?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Honestly? Japan is a very racist country. Or rather, it's very xenophobic.

^ This is very, very true. The Japanese are huge nationalists. If you're not Japanese, they look at you scornfully as if you're inferior. The funny thing is, a lot of them try to look more occidental with operations and hair dye, contact lenses, etc. 1/2 of them don't know what they want lol

I always thought Brock was considered "black", regardless his eyes. I'm sure there have been some black immigrants / tourists in Japan, though. They could have at least put black people in popular events / attractions in the anime. There have been some events that "attract people all over the world" so I don't see why it wouldn't attract a coloured person.

Captain Riolu

Ace Detective
Years
Most characters in anime seem Caucasian. The way Sugimori's art is, it's also hard to portray them as Asian without looking somewhat stereotypical (like Brock).

But yes, as others said, it's not like they don't like putting black people in Pokemon, it's that they don't come to mind as much as other races, and Pokemon portrays certain regions. But it's not like it will never happen. Americans are more conscious of different races though, which is why one of the Battle Revolution characters was given dark skin.

so I don't see why it wouldn't attract a coloured person.

Watch yourself. That term could offend someone. It's very improper and outdated.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
I actually think that asking the question is semi-racist to begin with, why point out what people may assume is racial segregation. It doesnt do anyone any good.

Secondly, who really cares anyway? As far as Im aware no race on earth has complained about not having their ethnicity show up in pokemon.
First and foremost, its a game. It doesnt need to be over-analysed.

that was the point that I was trying to mention before my post got attacked. I am black, I don't really care what color or race the people in pokemon are. I've been playing the games for 7 years and watching the anime for close to 12 and I rarely thought of 'why don't they have any ___ people'. Honestly, I just see it as a game, nothing more.

^ This is very, very true. The Japanese are huge nationalists. If you're not Japanese, they look at you scornfully as if you're inferior. The funny thing is, a lot of them try to look more occidental with operations and hair dye, contact lenses, etc. 1/2 of them don't know what they want lol

I always thought Brock was considered "black", regardless his eyes. I'm sure there have been some black immigrants / tourists in Japan, though. They could have at least put black people in popular events / attractions in the anime. There have been some events that "attract people all over the world" so I don't see why it wouldn't attract a coloured person.

Lets not get all stereotypical. I use to live next door to a Japanese family for two years, and their son was one of my best friends. Although I'm not Japanese I wasn't looked at as inferior and had a good time when around them...Though my Japanese friend was awfully ignorant of Chinese people. Like saying 'Chinese people smell' and I'd be like 'how do you know?' then he'd be like 'b/c I've ran into ones that came to Japan and they smelled..It's because of the food they eat.' (>_<). Yeah he was proud to be Japanese--sometimes too proud--but overall he was a pretty cool guy.

Watch yourself. That term could offend someone. It's very improper and outdated.

No, I don't think it's offensive. Someone could find it offensive but hey that's just them.

Last edited:

NatureKeeper

The reason for this is the lack of black people in Japan. When a human creates something, it usually reflects his surroundings. In the developers' case, Japan. Japan doesn't have many black people, and mostly are white people. I actually haven't even seen a picture of a black person in Japan. With no exaggeration, Instinctively most of the characters are shown to be white or ginger. Arcade Star Dahlia however is black. So, I am pretty sure no racism is meant. It's just their surroundings.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Though my Japanese friend was awfully ignorant of Chinese people. Like saying 'Chinese people smell' and I'd be like 'how do you know?' then he'd be like 'b/c I've ran into ones that came to Japan and they smelled..It's because of the food they eat.' (>_<).

That's like Americans with the French though, isn't it? Apart from me - I love France.

Captain Riolu

Ace Detective
Years
I fear for Black and White versions overseas though. I've seen other boards handle it quite immaturely. They might have to jump on it and give it the Jynx treatment. IIRC, a Megaman game had Black and White versions, and was changed to Blue and White overseas.

That's like Americans with the French though, isn't it? Apart from me - I love France.

Canadians receive more hassle, from what I've seen, though I think it's more for fun.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
I fear for Black and White versions overseas though. I've seen other boards handle it quite immaturely. They might have to jump on it and give it the Jynx treatment. IIRC, a Megaman game had Black and White versions, and was changed to Blue and White overseas.

Canadians receive more hassle, from what I've seen, though I think it's more for fun.

I hope that doesn't happen over here. I'd be soo pissed. Though I doubt Nintendo would change the title of a pokemon game. That would be like asking your parents for a million bucks--not happening! Some people just need to mature and realize that black & white aren't racial things. Like MJ says "If you're thinkin' about my baby it don't matter if you're black or white" :)

Moi aussi! J'adore la france, et j'ai étudié le français pour deux ans. Though as you can tell my french still needs some improving. haha.

edit:: as you may have seen from the photo I had up

:)

Last edited:

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
Sad thing is, a lot of America still isn't mature enough.

And while that pic is "true" and hilarious, you might want to take it out, as it has some bad stuff on it.

Sorry if I sound like a mod.

ohhh..the phrase used to refer to europe? okeedokee.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Honestly I've never really thought about races in pokemon, but it makes sense that there aren't any black (minorities in general) people portrayed because as people here have stated and clarified, they are minute in Japan.

The reason for this is the lack of black people in Japan. When a human creates something, it usually reflects his surroundings. In the developers' case, Japan. Japan doesn't have many black people, and mostly are white people.

They aren't mostly white people, they're mostly Japanese.

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
Watch/Read Afro Samurai then come back to this thread, please.
+1. I freaking love Afro Samurai.

From what I understand, Japan is very close-minded against both black and white people. "Americans" in anime are typically blond(e) and blue-eyed. Anybody that isn't Japanese is considered a foreigner and given a stereotype.

I could be wrong though, this is just what I've heard from people I know that have lived in Japan.

Years
Okay, first, I have lived in Japan for 2 years, and there are a LOT more Africans than there are African-Americans. Particularly in Tokyo. Still, when you throw in all of the Africans, African-Americans, African-Canadians, African-Australians, etc, etc, etc, it still doesn't amount to a measurable percentage of the population.

Second, I am going to switch from a subject of racism to a subject of nationalism directed against Americans (people from the USA). For all of our hyper-awareness of race and racism, the average American has no idea how to handle the subjects. And this thread just proves it. It almost always devolves into battles about which terms to use, rather than actually discussing the topic. Be careful of that.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I'm wondering though, are there any Hispanic people in the series? I think there was one guy called Juan and he had a Ludicolo...Or am I just fantasizing here?

Okay, first, I have lived in Japan for 2 years, and there are a LOT more Africans than there are African-Americans. Particularly in Tokyo. Still, when you throw in all of the Africans, African-Americans, African-Canadians, African-Australians, etc, etc, etc, it still doesn't amount to a measurable percentage of the population.

Second, I am going to switch from a subject of racism to a subject of nationalism directed against Americans (people from the USA). For all of our hyper-awareness of race and racism, the average American has no idea how to handle the subjects. And this thread just proves it. It almost always devolves into battles about which terms to use, rather than actually discussing the topic. Be careful of that.

You mean a couple of 13 year olds?

Don't bash America for immature kids...that's just my opinion on that (Granted. America can be ignorant.)

Captain Riolu

Ace Detective
Years

How do you know all of the people in this thread are American? Even someone spelled it "coloured". That's not how Americans usually spell it.

And as far as I know, every English-dominant nation in the world is racially aware.

And when you're a melting pot country like America with a lot of racial confusion in its history, you're bound to run into a lot who can't handle the subject.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
In a way, I'm kind of glad that we don't have black character in the games. I doubt that Sugimori could design a black character without it either looking like a palette-swap of a white character or like some kind of offensive caricature.

Second, I am going to switch from a subject of racism to a subject of nationalism directed against Americans (people from the USA). For all of our hyper-awareness of race and racism, the average American has no idea how to handle the subjects.

And the best way to handle the subject is to not use the terminology at all. A black person living in America is an American. Even immigrants should be refered to as Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back