• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

DDD'SSCEPTILE

GekkouKitsune : Shiny Master
Years
wait shouldnt fishing magicarp be kinda ez because you can use a old rod and that basicly all that pops up? if so i might get my first fishing poke ^^

Correct! =)

I'd also keep my eye out for other places that only yield a certain Pokemon. It's like SRing only quicker.

In this Sandstorm place (I'm back up to about 15 Cacturne again, I feel confident this time, I really, really want it!!), there's a little pond near a house. If you SURF on it, only Poliwag and Poliwhirl will show up..........

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm.............

edit:
Darn, broke at 16 again, I shouldn't have went into that grass cuz I KNEW it wasn't safe. XD

super onii chan

I think I'm here to stay
Years
sweet politoad looks awsome, so dose the other poli..s i might just go for them but im not really an experience shiny hunter i might just stick to pokeradar until i become more experince, then i can sr etc.

Years
E. Chaining. Only available in D/P... This little trinket you get when you get the National PokeDex is quite game-breaking for shinies. It requires some set-up to do efficiently and correctly, but you can get shinies from it, sometimes pretty easy. Our usual goal is to chain 40 of the same Pokemon together.
Then we wait until "shiny grass" sparkles, which yields Shiny Pokemon. At 40, for some reason, it's a lot easier to get shinies.
...with the Pokéradar! That's a pretty important word for a beginner to know. ;)

And to see what the shiny patch looks like, check out my video! You really can't miss it. It's much more of a solid glow than the flickery flashing grass.

I have bred many more Chikoritas, but nothing. Not even a stupendous new female breeder. I think my male incredibreeder (see sig) might be at level 100 by now. Good thing I have a clone of him for competitive purposes. They've lost Counter though, so I ought to re-tutor it now that they're at such high levels.

Edit: I've written up a C program to do some brute force calculations on some of the shiny odds. Here's what I've found so far:

Shiny correlations to the Trainer ID DO EXIST, but they're miniscule. The worst "shiny ID" is 5185, with odds 523936 in 4294967296, or 0.9993 in 8192. The best shiny ID is 586, with odds 524620 in 4294967296, or 1.0006 in 8192.

These figures are created assuming that the game draws two successive random numbers, one for the lower 16 bits of the PV, the other for the upper 16 bits. I calculate "shiny ID," the portion of the trainer IDs that matters for the shiny calculations, by XORing the Trainer ID with the Hidden ID, then bitshifting the result down by 3 bits, yielding some value between 0 and 8191 inclusively.

These calculations don't consider the effects of things like Synchronize/Everstone. I'd repeat my calculations if I knew how they calculate PVs for Everstone breeding and such, but I don't, and I can see a multitude of ways they could have written them which would work.

Since 8192 and 25 are relatively prime, I don't expect to see any significant ID correlations there either.

When I did only a partial trial for a smaller range of PVs (the complete calculations take several minutes on my Athlon64 3000+), I got some shiny IDs which didn't yield any shinies, however. I shall try to see just how long the longest "drought" can last on any ID. This is going to be of interest for Emerald SRing, but not much else.

Edit2: Repeating the calculations using a theoretical model for Bold natures w/Everstone.

Edit3: Under my purely hypothetical Everstone/Synchro model, with Bold nature, the worst SID is 8127 with odds 491466 in 4294967296 (0.9374 in 8192--seems low but is still just 1 in 8739), and the best is 8191 with odds 573440 in 4294967296 (1.0938 in 8192). I will now repeat the trial with my Emerald's shiny ID--7277.

Edit4: My results for my Emerald ID: There are 524732 Bold shinies in the mix, so the odds are just slightly above average at 1.0008 in 8192. The longest drought in the stream lasts 102332 values (thank GOD those aren't SRs! D=), which corresponds to about a half hour of gameplay. This half hour of gameplay could be placed anywhere in the 828 CONSECUTIVE DAYS it takes for the RNG to repeat itself. It's very likely that there are other such long droughts, however. The shortest drought was 1 value, meaning that somewhere in there (or in multiple spots), there are two consecutive shinies.

So, to summarize (without techno sp33k), looks like my Emerald isn't cursed after all. All I need to do is keep on going, being sure to leave my game turned on for a random number of hours, and I might get my shiny.

Last edited:

DDD'SSCEPTILE

Years
...with the Pokéradar! That's a pretty important word for a beginner to know. ;)

And to see what the shiny patch looks like, check out my video! You really can't miss it. It's much more of a solid glow than the flickery flashing grass.

I have bred many more Chikoritas, but nothing. Not even a stupendous new female breeder. I think my male incredibreeder (see sig) might be at level 100 by now. Good thing I have a clone of him for competitive purposes. They've lost Counter though, so I ought to re-tutor it now that they're at such high levels.

Hey, not to be outdone, but I have a video of the shiny grass too. =P (Although your video does rock, I've already admitted that on it's Comments)

You can watch my video here!
lol!

Go Go Gadget Shiny Bronzor!

I can't believe I failed to mention "Radar" at all. I think it's because a lot of people ask me about it but it's "what is radar?" so they already know the wording.

So, um, when bad luck gets going, it goes for a long time.
I've been trying to help manipulate the Sandstorm. I found a attachement for my GBA. It's a magnafying glass the size of the screen. I tried using that. It helps a little too but the visibility is so bad at night (in-game.....) that it doesn't matter. And Cacturnes are best at night.
Well, guess who decides to show up?

Beldum.

Ruining my chances for a day.

I don't even need it, I have my shiny Metagross, it's probably the best shiny Mixgross around too.

So I'm just going to go back to Pearl for the time being and see if I can get more Misdreavus.

:|

Tabatha

A figment of your imgination
Years
Today Corsola is swarming....I was having really bad luck with my chains always breaking around 25 earlier today. Now I'm home from work and I'm about to make some popcorn and snuggle into bed and chain corsola with a hope that I have better luck.

DDD'SSCEPTILE: The strange thing with your pokeradar where it seemed to be miss counting and just changing was happening to me too, I'd be at like 30 and then I'd step into a grass that was the pokemon I was chaining, kill pokemon, and then my thing said I was at a 5 chain and I'd be like what but it was just at 30.....it's really odd, I got really frustrated and just gave up when that happened though

Years
Edit: I've written up a C program to do some brute force calculations on some of the shiny odds. Here's what I've found so far:

Shiny correlations to the Trainer ID DO EXIST, but they're miniscule. The worst "shiny ID" is 5185, with odds 523936 in 4294967296, or 0.9993 in 8192. The best shiny ID is 586, with odds 524620 in 4294967296, or 1.0006 in 8192.

These figures are created assuming that the game draws two successive random numbers, one for the lower 16 bits of the PV, the other for the upper 16 bits. I calculate "shiny ID," the portion of the trainer IDs that matters for the shiny calculations, by XORing the Trainer ID with the Hidden ID, then bitshifting the result down by 3 bits, yielding some value between 0 and 8191 inclusively.

These calculations don't consider the effects of things like Synchronize/Everstone. I'd repeat my calculations if I knew how they calculate PVs for Everstone breeding and such, but I don't, and I can see a multitude of ways they could have written them which would work.

Since 8192 and 25 are relatively prime, I don't expect to see any significant ID correlations there either.

When I did only a partial trial for a smaller range of PVs (the complete calculations take several minutes on my Athlon64 3000+), I got some shiny IDs which didn't yield any shinies, however. I shall try to see just how long the longest "drought" can last on any ID. This is going to be of interest for Emerald SRing, but not much else.

Edit2: Repeating the calculations using a theoretical model for Bold natures w/Everstone.

Edit3: Under my purely hypothetical Everstone/Synchro model, with Bold nature, the worst SID is 8127 with odds 491466 in 4294967296 (0.9374 in 8192--seems low but is still just 1 in 8739), and the best is 8191 with odds 573440 in 4294967296 (1.0938 in 8192). I will now repeat the trial with my Emerald's shiny ID--7277.

Edit4: My results for my Emerald ID: There are 524732 Bold shinies in the mix, so the odds are just slightly above average at 1.0008 in 8192. The longest drought in the stream lasts 102332 values (thank GOD those aren't SRs! D=), which corresponds to about a half hour of gameplay. This half hour of gameplay could be placed anywhere in the 828 CONSECUTIVE DAYS it takes for the RNG to repeat itself. It's very likely that there are other such long droughts, however. The shortest drought was 1 value, meaning that somewhere in there (or in multiple spots), there are two consecutive shinies.

So, to summarize (without techno sp33k), looks like my Emerald isn't cursed after all. All I need to do is keep on going, being sure to leave my game turned on for a random number of hours, and I might get my shiny.
Quoting my edits because people may miss the fact that I edited this post.

I had no idea that there were replies when I edited this totally important info into my post.

Summary of all everything: Everything I speculated about in the past is exactly true. I've just proven it. (Well, the last part remains speculation, but it's on more solid ground.)

Hidden ID value correlations DO INDEED EXIST, but they are quite small.

LordxDanswich

Lord of the Sammich!
Years
Quoting my edits because people may miss the fact that I edited this post.

I had no idea that there were replies when I edited this totally important info into my post.

Summary of all everything: Everything I speculated about in the past is exactly true.

Could you explain how the rng isn't affected when you breed on emerald? i wanna start breeding for a shiny chikorita on emerald but i'm not sure if it's worth trying.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 24, 2009
I was only able to hatch about 150 eggs yesterday so that brings it to somewhere in the 300's still going strong for croagunk

Bombah!

BlackDragonite
Years
Heya, me again.
I tried the easy way, to catch a Magikarp (shiny of course ;) )
with the rod.
After 76 (!!!) Magikarps, I gave up.
2 Hours later I tried again, but gave up after 45 -.-

Am I doing smth wrong??

Kishu Inu

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Hiya guys. ^_^

I'm almost finished the game, when I can get my POKERADAR.

It's just that I went through the game with three pokemon that are around level 40. I just can't beat the E4, even with the three faeries+Dialga. I put some happiny up, and I hope some retard will give me a hacked level 100 dialga. People did before, they probably will again. Then I'll be able to beat the E4.

Still SRing for Turtwig on Pearl. 497 SR's and nothing.

DDD'SSCEPTILE

Years
Heya, me again.
I tried the easy way, to catch a Magikarp (shiny of course ;) )
with the rod.
After 76 (!!!) Magikarps, I gave up.
2 Hours later I tried again, but gave up after 45 -.-

Am I doing smth wrong??

Sorry, 'fraid not. You aren't doing anything wrong... :(

You better get used to it, because that's really all you can do is wait and keep trying. You may get it soon, or you might get it after the 500th one. Just never give up.

It's still pretty easy compared to some of the other stuff.

Tabatha

A figment of your imgination
Years
Today Is cubone....But I'm getting really frustrated because my chains keep breaking around 20, the more frustrated I get the more careless I am with chaining too! I haven't successfully chained a shiny in about 2 weeks I'd really like a new one =( I have to go to work soon I'm hoping it will be a nice break and I'll be ready to go when I'm back

It's Just Fufu

Nostalgia is powerful.
Years
MetalMario, I'm telling you, you should Copy everything you just pasted, and ask for it to be put on the first page of every Shiny Discussion Thread as well as the Shiny Pokemon Lovers Club at Serebii...nice going with your work! I have a question, though, in relation to your game, does what you just said only apply when you have a Bold Synchronizer up front? And how did you gather the data anyway?

I'm chaining for Swablu.

DDD'SSCEPTILE

Years
Crud.............

I had 24 Misdreavus in the chain, I've been workin' on it ALLLLLL day, and it breaks at what should've been the 25th one.

Durn you Wurmple.

It's like I'm having to fight Buneary all over again, and it's the truth. One is just a tick less on the percentage of appearing....

What sucks is that the one that I went to should've been safe....

So, I'll try again. In a way, the Sandstorm's easier than this. That was just visual I had to beat.

This is odds.

THIS

IS

SPARTA!!!!

Oh also I support MM's theory that the shiny grass is just a placeholder for a shiny Pokemon to come up. Because during the Shinx chaining, I had a Static Pokemon up front, and then when I saw the shiny grass, I switched to my Synchro Adamant, and stepped into the grass.
The Pokemon I caught was Adamant. So it was either good luck or there's something behind that.

I just want my Misdreavus. This is like the 3rd time I've gotten a shiny but I've had to fight back.

1. Starly
2. Buneary
3. Misdreavus

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 24, 2009
yesterday when I checked number of eggs hatched it had jumped from 633 to 799 and I'm still doing them today hoping for cro

DDD'SSCEPTILE

Years
k I started a Misdreavus chain last night to continue today and first patch I go to today is a Budew breaking it.

>_>

So now I'm waiting. I was thinking about just going for Gastly but apparently it's not much better at 10%, although those other areas yield nothing but Gastly (can't chain in it though).

I dunno what to do. I'll probably finish trying to disperse those hacked traded shinies I got and upload my new Pokemon onto PBR. I may train another before that though to make it more worthwhile.

But I want a good shiny Misdreavus! D=
I'll just have to get lucky.

Real lucky.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 24, 2009
hatched 80+ today, no shiny yet, IO estimate 300-400 eggs

I just realized I haven't got heatran yet so after I finish with this damned frog I could head there and sr w/ a syncer

Last edited:
Years
And how did you gather the data anyway?
unsigned short pokerand(void)
{
static unsigned int randbuf = 0;
randbuf *= 0x41C64E6D;
randbuf += 0x6073;
return (unsigned short)(randbuf >> 16);
}

Remember this from the thread at Smogon? It's the Pokémon RNG, and I basically put it through the wringer. I generated personality values in the simplest way possible--draw one number for the lower 16 bits, then another for the upper 16. (I won't be 100% certain that this is the way the game does it until I've written my Secret Project of Doom #5, but it seems the only sensical way.) I also rearranged the shiny formula into a form where a "shiny ID" is calculated for each Pokémon, and there's another constant shiny ID associated with one's save file. Then generated a PV for each of the 4294967296 possible RNG states, saw which ID it generated a shiny for, and tallied the results.

The Synchronize results were for Bold. I could do them again for any other nature, but it would take several minutes for each run. (My algorithms aren't very efficient :nervous:) The way I calculate Nature is very speculative and is likely to be wrong. There are so many reasonable ways to do so, I just can't be sure. I divide the PV by 25 rounding down, then I re-multiply by 25 yielding some multiple of 25. Then I add the Nature Value onto it (for Bold, this is 10). If the value overflows, (ultra super rare, odds 1 in several million), I just set it to the nature value itself. LoadingNOW would know the actual algorithm that the game uses, but he is hording this information. :(

Looking at it now, my method doesn't consider that Synchronize is only effective 50% of the time and there might be some correlations there.

Progress: Still breeding Chikos. I should try to get a Storyteller back into my game. I don't know just how many eggs I've hatched. I've been approximating it with the number of Bold female Chikos I hatch--odds 52%. I don't have that number handy.

Back