• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen New moves speculation!

Do you think this was a hint to a upcoming move in X & Y

• Total voters

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
May already have been suggested, but...

Stealth Ice. Pointed ice shards float around the opposing team. Gliscor RU, Dragonite UU, Landorus UU, Garchomp BL. :D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It'd definitely be useful but also I think it wouldn't change where things are currently situated, because SR is in OU, and Volcarona is weak to SR x4 but yet it's still in there, soo. :x Another hazard would be fun to abuse/hate competitively though.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
How about these entry hazards?

Spell Trap: "The user chanted a mystical spell at the enemy's team", so this entry hazard puts the foe to sleep upon entering the battle, this is a one-off so it will only put one pokemon to sleep.
PP = 10/10

Coal Shot: "The user shoots blazing hot coal around the enemy's feet!", you can guess what this does, this entry hazard burns the foe upon entering the arena. Like spell trap this is a one-off, however you can use the move twice to burn 2 different foes, or 3 times to burn 3 foes, etc.

Mines: "The user lays small mines around your enemy's feet", this hazard will always deal 1/16 damage no matter how many times you use it. When the mines explode, they also confuse the target.

Tesla Spikes: "The user lays electrical spikes around the enemy's feet", yep - paralysis.

NeoSpeedFreak

A piece of meat
Years
This move does the same damage to yourself as it does to the user, so basically you're attacking yourself with this powerful move, as well as the foe. So this is a last-resort move. See? Nothing is overpowered if you have the correct side-effects.
Personally, I think Earthquake is overpowered. It does 100 damage, 100% accuracy, hits everyone on the opposing team, and is super-effective against 5 different types. The best thing about this move is that it has no side-effects, good or bad. That is why Earthquake is considered the best move ever - because it is powerful, reliable, and has no side-effects.
Hyperbeam and explosion seem really powerful at first glance, but their side-effects are just horrible, making them bad moves despite their overwhelming power.

That's right: Here I will do a example:

2vs1:

You're using a Tyranitar with 4% HP and your foe has a Blissey with 15% HP.
You have a Staraptor with 23% HP, but your foe used SR and Switching would be useless.
Tyranitar has SR, useless; Pursuit, no PP left; Crunch, disabled; and Triple Edge.
Anyways you're going to die, Triple Edge's massive power would faint her and with Staraptor left you'll win.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Some ideas for new moves / names that are basic clone of old moves:

Ice Kick (アイスキック) : 85 BP / 90 Acc / 10 PP / Ice / Physical
Increased critical hit ratio, 10% chance of freezing the target.

Thunder Kick (サンダーキック) : 85 BP / 90 Acc / 10 PP / Electric / Physical
Increased critical hit ratio, 10% chance of paralysing the target.

Psycho Blade (サイコブレード) : 100 BP / 80 Acc / 5 PP / Psychic / Physical
Increased critical hit ratio.

Brainpower (プサイアニック) : 120 BP / 85 Acc / 5 PP / Psychic / Special
20% chance of dropping the target Sp.Def. 2 stages.

Steam Hammer (パワーハンマー) : 120 BP / 100 Acc / 15 PP / Steel / Physical
Recoil damage equal to one-third of the damage done.

Icebreaker (さいひょうせん) : 120 BP / 100 Acc / 15 PP / Ice / Physical
Recoil damage equal to one-third of the damage done.

ThunderDance (かみなりのまい) : --- BP / --- Acc / 20 PP / Electric / Status
Increase user's Sp.Atk and Speed 1 stage each.

Ice Age (アイスエイジ) : 120 BP / 50 Acc / 5 PP / Ice / Special
100% chance of freezing the target (if it connects).

WaterCooling (すいれい) : 90 BP / 100 Acc / 10 PP / Water / Special
10% chance of freezing the target.

Ice Skating (アイススケート) : --- BP / --- Acc / 20 PP / Ice / Status
Increase user's Speed 2 stages.

Sky Rocket (スカイロケット) : 120 BP / 70 Acc / 5 PP / Steel / Special
No side-effect, infinite accuracy under sun, accuracy is 50 under rain / sandstorm / hail.

Sky Storm (りゅうのあらし) : 120 BP / 70 Acc / 5 PP / Dragon / Special
No side-effect, infinite accuracy under rain, accuracy is 50 under sun.

I'm going to bet that in this Gen, there will be basic "clones" from old moves, meaning that they are different names, but work the same way as particular moves.

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2015
Entry hazards of different types. This would stop Stealth Rocks from being such a huge determining factor in which tier pokemon are found. As for the comment about what isn't hit by stealth rocks is hit by spikes, I find that it's still unbalanced. Spikes can't really do significant damage unless you put down 2 or 3 layers, compared to stealth rocks having the potential to take 1/2 hp with only 1 turn of set up. It makes any pokemon with a weakness to rock a huge liability.

Maybe an additional 3:

Burst Clay-ground (terrible name but I couldn't really think of anything)
Thorny Vines-grass
Pointed Icicles-ice

This would cover a lot of weaknesses and resistances pretty evenly, only leaving 5 types (normal, fighting, ghost, psychic and dark) without a weakness to any of them, and fighting being the only type of those 5 with a resistance to any of them (stealth rocks). Considering fighting types don't have much going for them (almost all of their moves are physical), I think it's an okay advantage.

Edit: I forgot that spikes was already a ground type attack. I doubt they would changes the mechanics of it, so maybe replace burst clay with a fire type attack. This would add poison types to the group with no weaknesses and 1 resistance but poison too is a group in need of some major upgrades.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Spell Trap: "The user chanted a mystical spell at the enemy's team", so this entry hazard puts the foe to sleep upon entering the battle, this is a one-off so it will only put one pokemon to sleep.
PP = 10/10

Coal Shot: "The user shoots blazing hot coal around the enemy's feet!", you can guess what this does, this entry hazard burns the foe upon entering the arena. Like spell trap this is a one-off, however you can use the move twice to burn 2 different foes, or 3 times to burn 3 foes, etc.

Mines: "The user lays small mines around your enemy's feet", this hazard will always deal 1/16 damage no matter how many times you use it. When the mines explode, they also confuse the target.

Tesla Spikes: "The user lays electrical spikes around the enemy's feet", yep - paralysis.

Hmmm. Sleeping I don't really think will come, but the burning/paralysis around your feet definitely sounds good, although I'm not quite sure they're ready to move into side effects from entry hazards other than TSpikes.

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2015

PP = 10/10

I like the sound of coal shot, tesla spikes and a variation of mines without dealing any damage. An entry hazard that guarantees not being able to attack is a bit too much in my opinion (sleep and freeze)

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
1/6 damage plus confusion seems a bit too much. 1/12 hp damage and confusion though I'm fine with.

*sigh* I didn't write 1 / 6 damage, I wrote 1 / 16 damage. One sixteenth NOT one sixth!

I like the sound of coal shot, tesla spikes and a variation of mines without dealing any damage. An entry hazard that guarantees not being able to attack is a bit too much in my opinion (sleep and freeze)

Yea spell trap seemed too powerful, I didn't even think of a freeze hazard because freeze is one of the most overpowered status ailments - that's why GameFreak hasn't made a freezing status moves (as of yet).

Last edited:

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
Coal shot sounds fun..I also believe few more Entry hazards are needed. That will freshen up the metagame.

Also, Psychic type variation for Blizzard ?
Physical 120 Power 70% accuracy 10% chance of Defense drop ?

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Sorry about that, I was sleepy when I wrote that.
How about a move called Tsunami with 150 power and 60 percent accuracy. They could make it Kyogre's signature move (Mewtwo got a signature move last generation so maybe other important legends will too) ...oh and Super Earthquake for Groudon with 120 power with 100 percent accuracy or maybe Super Volcano (Fire) with 150 power and 100 accuracy. Both moves take a turn to charge. Both moves learned somewhere between lv 70-100.

Oh and Suicune too, something like Crystal dance which works as a ice version of Quiver dance.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
To expand on the Fire and Electric priority:

Fire Ball
Power: 40
Accuracy: 100
PP: 30
Category: Special

The user quickly creates a fire ball and lobs it at the opponent. Always goes first.

Static Shock:
Power: 40
Accuracy: 100
PP: 30
Category: Special
The user creates a burst of static electricity and zaps the opponent with it. Always goes first.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
You don't know how much I want a special priority move, and move elemental at that.

I also want a special version of Ice shard too for Pokémon like Regice.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yesss special ice priority!! But the only issue is I don't think they'll go special AND physical for the same type :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh daym, that completely slipped my mind! Yeah okay it's a lot more likely but I feel like special ice is already too strong and they added Ice Shard to balance physical out a bit :(

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
Another physical and special U-Turn / Volt Switch type move would be really cool. Possibly Dark / Psychic respectively?

In terms of utility moves, something like Clear Smog except not poison would be really nice. It's nice to have a phazing move that is actually an attack so that taunt can't screw you over.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Over the generations we've seen a lot more powerful but less accurate moves coming around, and I think it's due for some other types. I think a Dark-typed 120 base power move would be cool, and same with Steel. Maybe a more powerful physically-based Ghost-type move would be cool too.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Hm, I think when people think about new moves that will drastically change the metagame, we need to think simple. Just think about how simple moves like U-Turn and Stealth Rocks were and just how much they changed the game. The shiny new move that shakes up the metagame will be so simple it will blow our mind. Sooo let me bring up the topic of new hazards again.

While moves like 'electric spikes' and 'stealth fire' will change the meta, it does so by removing the niche of other pokemon. Let me propose something different: aggressive hazards.

I think this has been proposed before about entry hazards of different types, but instead of a long term presence stealth rock or the spikes have, aggressive hazards would be used for intense, short term pressure. For my example, I will use charcoals as a 'stealth fire' like move or icicles as a 'stealth ice' type of move.

These moves would do 25% on the switch in on the first turn after, 18% on the second, 12% the third, 6% the fourth, and 3% the fifth. The purpose of these moves would be to put pressure on the opponent and halt their momentum. This would allow the user to have a short window to move more freely. Sure, the oppenent could try to switch his Forretress or Ferrothorn on the first move after charcoals, but then they would be just sacking it from the 4x25%=100% damage. It would force them to wait, giving the user time to set up, bring out a choice user, clear the hazards on your side, etc.

Icicles would also be nice because it would buy you time from dragons that would want to set up on you or ground types that would want to counter your electric type.

The damage drop off per turn would be easy to explain as icicles 'melt' and charcoals 'cool off.' Also, stealth rocks and the spikes would still have their place for long term hazard damage. You wouldn't want to keep throwing your fire or ice type out to put up these hazards as it would be waste of a move. Aggressive hazards would exist to buy yourself a single opportunity.

I'm not sure if a move like this would be in the next game, however, I believe another move could be modified to fill this role. Future sight could be modified to 140 BP and hit the next turn instead. This would allow the user to get a turn to switch in or give an attack when the opponent needs to decide which pokemon he wants to take the hit. Again, I doubt something like this would happen in the game. However, I think the concept is worth thinking about.

I have another thought -- what about self-statusing moves; where you burn yourself as a drawback or something? For example, a base 140 physical fire move that burns you is pretty interesting - it'd be a physical dragon meteor, more or less. A Special move that burned you wouldn't need to be very powerful - a 100 base special flamethrower that burned you might actually see lots of play, as burning a special attacker protects it from other status... add in psycho-shift and similar moves/abilities, and self-status moves might just be obscene.

Back