• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon Rated M for Mature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 74
  • Seen Mar 23, 2015
pokemon_rated_m_for_mature_by_mushimaster1950-d7tib1s.png
Disclaimer: Most sprites shown were not created by the MushiMaster​

Introduction

Have you ever hated being stuck in a tiny route with only one direction to go.
Have you ever wanted to see what was on the other side of that fence in no man's land.

Welcome to Pokemon: Rated M for Mature.
Go anywhere, Do anything. No more routes.
ONE MILLION tiles of map to explore.
The further into the wilderness, the higher the level of the Pokemon.
All types of Pokemon available immediately from the start.

pokemon_map_2_by_mushimaster1950-d7r5ley.png

Tools

Python, C++, Tiled, Gimp

Plot

Background

Long ago the Legendaries waged war against each other for centuries. Their battles raged across the lands, destroying everything in their wake. Finally Mew became tired of his children's squables and with one mighty roar he quieted the storm. Next Mew created Mount Pleasant where he reigned over his new empire. Mew formed the Guardians, consisting of seven Legendaries, who were charged with the protection of earth.

Soon the Earth prospered in a new era of peace. Humans flourished alongside Pokemon. Although with peace, came progress. Technology boomed for the first time. Scientists from Rocket Corp. soon realized that the DNA of all Pokemon were parts of a whole, like a puzzle. They began searching for this whole believing it to be the father of all Pokemon. What they found was Mew, only capturing him long enough to take a DNA sample. Rocket Corp. then began trying to clone Mew. Attempt after attempt, fail after fail the scientists found the DNA sample was incomplete. They began to combine DNA from all known Pokemon to compensate.

Finally all their hard work paid off, the end result was Mewtwo. Within seconds of gaining consciousness, Mewtwo destroyed the Lab and escaped. Humanity had truly created a monster. Mewtwo quickly went to Mount Plesant and just as quickly as Mew had created the Guardians, Mewtwo dismantled the team and the peace they had created. Mewtwo then renamed the mountain, Mount Unplesant and created the Anti-Guardians to do his bidding. He now waits atop Mount Unplesant amassing an army to wipe out mankind. With no sign from Mew the world seems destined for destruction.

The only hope the world has now lies in a prophecy foretold by Missingno thousands of years ago. In it, a human will rise out of the darkness to vanquish the evil that has plagued the land. This is where the story begins.

Main Story

Spoiler:

mewmewtwo_by_mushimaster1950-d7tjobd.png

About the Author​

I am the MushiMaster. I recently decided to learn how to program and thought a challenging project would be a helpful way to learn. I therefore decided on creating a video game. Being a fan of the real games, hacked rome, and custom made games, I undertook the creation of a Pokemon game. A game that I wanted to play. That cut out all the crappy stuff I hated while playing the series and adding the things I love. I am also a fan of Skyrim and have created a few mods along with using hundreds. I wanted an Elder Scrolls style Pokemon Game. I also thought that learning to program while I'm in school would not be a bad thing to put on a resume. In fact I am enjoying programming so much I have considered switching Majors. Go Spartans!​

Side Plots
  • Black Market Quests
  • Buy Steriods and Drugs
  • Buy Stolen Pokemon
  • Steal Other People's Pokemon
  • Bet Your Pokemon in the Underground Pokemon League
  • Pokemon Guild Quests
  • Quest to Catch Rare and Shiny Pokemon
  • Quest to Find Rare Items
  • Collect All the Eevee Forms
  • Battle In The Colosseum
  • Catch All the Legendaries Post-Game

Features

• Open World Gameplay
  • Epic Storyline
  • Adult Content
  • Giant Map! ONE MILLION TILES!!! (1250x800 tiles)
  • Multiple Save Files
  • Join Team Rocket or join La Resistance!
  • Live Action Cut Scenes!!
  • Missingno makes his triumphant return as the Pokemon of prophecy!!!
  • Player has special eevee that can transform between all evolutions
  • New eevee evolutions added for every type of Pokémon
  • Pokemon level increases as player moves away from cities/towns
  • Trainer level increases as player moves further from cities/towns
  • Limited Trainer Dodging (Forced encounters only when it makes sense)
  • No PP's, EV's or IV's
  • HM's are separate from move set (No more HM slaves)
  • All pokemon up to Gen III (Few from new generations)
  • A few custom Pokemon (When it makes sense to the story)
  • Up to 6v6 battles
  • Dubstep remixes of Pokemon music
Screenshots

Eevelutions
The eevee found with the player at the beginning was created by Mew himself. It has the special ability to change between evolutions in and out of battle. The player must first collect the item that allows the eevee to transform initially, then after that the eevee can transform at any time.
Spoiler:

Main Map (Full Size)
If you would like to look at a full size image, I would suggest visiting me at deviant art using the link below and downloading the full file instead of trying to view it in your browser.
http://sta.sh/015roq6txm02

Landscapes
Spoiler:

Progress

I have a completed a prototype engine written in Python using Tiled to create maps. I plan to port the engine to C++ for speed. I wrote a render software for Tiled in Python but it is far too slow for the map I have. I have therefore decided to go with a modified version of the render software included in Tiled. The data for Pokemon, trainers and events I may leave in Python for readability and ease of editing.

• Main Map - 60%
  • Indoors Maps - 10%
  • Detailed Storyline - 100%
  • Story Script - 25%
  • Prototype Python Engine - 100%
  • Ported C++ Engine - 0%
  • Prototype Python Render - 100%
  • Modified Tiled Render Software - 0%
  • Battle System - 50%
  • Pokemon/Trainer Python Scripting - 10%
  • Storyline Python Scripting - 10%

Credits

Disclaimer: I would like to thank any artists whose work appears in the game and is not mentioned in the credits. My primary goal for this game is to learn programming, next is to make the Pokemon game I want to play. And since my time, like everyone's, is limited I am managing that time efficiently. Nearly all of the tile sets, sprites and resources used were not created by me. I am not seeking any monetary gain through sale or donation. Feel free to contact me if you see your work and I will gladly give credit.

• Nintendo
  • Gamefreak
  • Travis
  • AJ
  • Brad
  • Mia
  • I have a list but I can't find it right now. Message me if I forgot you.
  • And a lot of Mary Jane!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2014
What's this Tiled thing you made the map or whatever with and why doesn't it work in Python?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 74
  • Seen Mar 23, 2015
What's this Tiled thing you made the map or whatever with and why doesn't it work in Python?

Tiled is a program to create 2D tile based maps for video games. It really nice, since I can basically make the map as big as I want and it only renders the area the camera is over. The save file the program creates can be read in Python, however the program I wrote to read them is too slow. I can more easily modify the rendering software included in Tiled itself.

Years
  • Seen Apr 30, 2022
I really like the whole idea of the game. The map looks enormous... wow! I love open world games and always wanted an open world Pokemon game. The eevees look pretty good, the flying one looks sweet, but the ghost type looks like it needs some work. It just doesn't look quite like a Pokemon yet.

The maps look like they have a lot of grass... That is gonna be really crappy if you are going anywhere. Maybe removing some of the grass would be good.

Years
  • Age 74
  • Seen Mar 23, 2015
I really like the whole idea of the game. The map looks enormous... wow! I love open world games and always wanted an open world Pokemon game. The eevees look pretty good, the flying one looks sweet, but the ghost type looks like it needs some work. It just doesn't look quite like a Pokemon yet.

The maps look like they have a lot of grass... That is gonna be really crappy if you are going anywhere. Maybe removing some of the grass would be good.

First thanks, and second the wild encounter rate will be much lower than in regular pokemon games. Instead there will be an item called attract which raises the wild Pokemon encounter rate.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Where did you get those Eeveelution designs from, and do you have permission to use them?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 17, 2018
Most of those eeveelutions were posted online by someone random. Those front sprites were included with the concept art in some postings, others not. Doubt there's actually an originated source.

Years
  • Age 74
  • Seen Mar 23, 2015
Is the Fairy-type Eevelution Sylveon going to be in this game?

Well, your comment sparked a heated debate between my friends. Personally I do not like fairy Pokemon and so I was going to throw them out. However, fairy Pokemon and Sylveon will be in the game… Stupid friends…

Gexeys

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 16, 2015
I found some of them online, and some of them I made using concept art and gimp.

I have looked for an original artist but have found none. I would be more than happy to give credit where credit is due.

The fact that you can't find the original artist doesn't mean anything, there IS an original artist, who has not given you permission to use the designs.

If you can create your own designs why don't you? If you already have the ability to you should.

Years
  • Seen Apr 30, 2022
The fact that you can't find the original artist doesn't mean anything, there IS an original artist, who has not given you permission to use the designs.

If you can create your own designs why don't you? If you already have the ability to you should.

Just wondering...

To be clear, you want the MushiMaster and others who make Pokemon games to respect the designs and rights of people unless those people are part of a company or corporation... correct?

It seems strange to me that you hold two very different opinions when it comes to this. I do not believe permission was given to use the Eevee, Jolteon etc sprites and yet I hear no complaints.

It does not appear that MushiMaster is trying to take credit for anything they did not do. So my question is what makes the two situations so different? Both are cases where someone is using something they did not create to make a game, for fun, that they earn no money off of. Yet one needs permission...

Last edited:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Just wondering...

To be clear, you want the MushiMaster and others who make Pokemon games to respect the designs and rights of people unless those people are part of a company or corporation... correct?

It seems strange to me that you hold two very different opinions when it comes to this. I do not believe permission was given to use the Eevee, Jolteon etc sprites and yet I hear no complaints.

It does not appear that MushiMaster is trying to take credit for anything they did not do. So my question is what makes the two situations so different? Both are cases where someone is using something they did not create to make a game, for fun, that they earn no money off of. Yet one needs permission...

You don't need to credit gamefreak and nintendo because it's a widespread property heavily associated with the name. Doesn't mean most people don't credit Nintendo and Gamefreak, as it kinda should be.

You credit a spriter because they want their sprites to be associated with their name, and if you use a sprite made by someone else, people will assume you made that content. Not only do you dissociate the original artist from their work, you associate your own name with the work if you don't credit. It's technically stealing.

Years
  • Seen Apr 30, 2022
You don't need to credit gamefreak and nintendo because it's a widespread property heavily associated with the name. Doesn't mean most people don't credit Nintendo and Gamefreak, as it kinda should be.

You credit a spriter because they want their sprites to be associated with their name, and if you use a sprite made by someone else, people will assume you made that content. Not only do you dissociate the original artist from their work, you associate your own name with the work if you don't credit. It's technically stealing.

Ok I can see that people would mistakenly think the game developer created everything unless specified. So all someone needs to do if they did not create something and want to use it, is just to specifically say that they did not create it. That way, no misunderstandings.

btw... I think it's still technically stealing Nintendo and Gamefreak's work too.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Ok I can see that people would mistakenly think the game developer created everything unless specified. So all someone needs to do if they did not create something and want to use it, is just to specifically say that they did not create it. That way, no misunderstandings.

btw... I think it's still technically stealing Nintendo and Gamefreak's work too.

The fact is that since it has been brought to attention, the work is not his and is not mentioned in the credits, and therefore breaks the rules. No where on the first post does he mention that the designs were not made entirely by himself, and he does not credit, even in such a manner as "unnamed artist: x amount of eevee evolutions." Rather, by looking at the post, anyone could assume he made them, since he does not indicate otherwise. However, technically he isn't "stealing" the original pokemon, such as eevee, flareon, etc, as he has mentioned them in the credits.

Years
  • Seen Apr 30, 2022
The fact is that since it has been brought to attention, the work is not his and is not mentioned in the credits, and therefore breaks the rules. No where on the first post does he mention that the designs were not made entirely by himself, and he does not credit, even in such a manner as "unnamed artist: x amount of eevee evolutions." Rather, by looking at the post, anyone could assume he made them, since he does not indicate otherwise. However, technically he isn't "stealing" the original pokemon, such as eevee, flareon, etc, as he has mentioned them in the credits.

Hey, I'm not defending the guy... lol I just asked a question for my own personal interest in making a Pokemon Game. I would at least give the dude a chance to log back on and read what has been written so he can fix it before you berate him. I literally just pointed out that he needed to mark "unknown artist" today. But thanks for rewriting what I basically just said...

And using something without permission is stealing... Giving credits doesn't magically make it not. lol

Years
  • Age 74
  • Seen Mar 23, 2015
Hey is this still going or is this dead?

This game is very much ongoing, however I have taken a more solitary position in sharing my progress since reception was less than stellar. I do not wish to upset anyone or start any arguments. That being said, if the current attitude continues about the project I may pull it from the forum and only ever give it out to my friends. I hope this does not happen.

If you are interested in the game, I would love some actual constructive criticism. Thanks for the interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back